Koningsdam

Floridiana

Just now, Floridiana said:

Does anyone know why the Koningsdam is going south on the east coast of South America while all other ships are going north? Check cruisemapper.

Koningsdam is being relocated to the Pacific for future cruises, they are basically doing the cruise they were supposed to without passengers.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Frank5 said:

Perhaps it is less expensive to sail around South America at a fuel miserly slow speed than pay the $100,000+ tolls of the Panama Canal.

My understanding is that she can't go thru the canal.....That's why she was on a 44 day cruise around South America when the recent unpleasantness happened.

18 minutes ago, FlaMariner said:

My understanding is that she can't go thru the canal.....That's why she was on a 44 day cruise around South America when the recent unpleasantness happened.

The reasoning is explained in the thread linked in Post#3.

55 minutes ago, rkacruiser said:

I am wondering, if some South American ports are closed, how will she obtain more fuel and supplies?  Maybe she can carry all that she needs for such a long trip?

The ports have been allowing fueling and resupplying. Just no one off.

• Like 2

I hope that will continue for the Koningsdam.  Queen Mary 2 is currently at Durban South Africa and apparently is having trouble getting approval to refuel, even though it can be done while anchored in the harbor.  She refueled in Mauritius so she's in no danger but Amsterdam is heading for Durban and low on fuel.  That could turn into a nightmare for her crew.

I would hope Koningsdam can keep her tanks topped off in case the situation gets even worse in South America.

Roy