Cancelation problem with TA

azam71209

I have worked with the same TA for years who is a Connoisseur Club member and part of one of the major cruise vendors. In February, I contacted her to ask the cancelation deadline for the Barcelona-London June 23 cruise and the penalty for canceling. I had written down February in my appointment book but didn't have the exact date. She assured me that the actual date was March 25 and that the penalty for canceling was $100 for each of 3 people. When I contacted her a few days ago to cancel, she told me the penalty was actually $250 per person because I had not canceled by February 24. She says she had no responsibility to tell me in her February 6 email that the penalty would go up on February 24 because she had sent me that information in September, 2019!

She also told me that the reason the cruise now was waitlisted in all categories is because so many people signed up for the cruise because it was so popular and people really wanted a vacation. I do have emails to document everything. She says never mind, I can get a credit on a future cruise. Not the same as getting my $450 back. Needless to say, I am disappointed and angry. Just wondering if I have any recourse with anyone.

Mary

Mary

Your penalty periods with specific deadline dates and incremental $$ amounts are clearly specified on page 2 of your original (and any updated) Oceania invoice.

Are you saying that you never received that invoice or, at least, the TA's own separate invoice which generally indicates on what date penalties will start?

While some TAs may send deadline reminders other than just the approach of final payment due date, it is not a requirement. After all, you should've had the dates on the invoice on the day you deposited the cruise.

That said, it sounds like your TA charges $100 for a cancellation(?). If so, get a different TA.

Edited by Flatbush Flyer

Some TA's do not give an original O invoice (also a reason to find another TA),

Also some TA's have a different final pay date than Oceania.

But the Oceania terms are clearly shown on their website.

Edited by PaulMCO
  • Like 2

5 hours ago, azam71209 said:

...She also told me that the reason the cruise now was waitlisted in all categories is because so many people signed up for the cruise because it was so popular and people really wanted a vacation. 

This assertion just blew my mind.

I do not see the problem the cancellation deadlines are clearly on O website  as well as in their brochures

While some TA's may be better than others  it is up to you the client  to make sure you read & understand  the T & C's

JMO

I am perfect 😁  so I mark my calendar   for the final payment date  

My terrific TA always emails me a week ahead to remind me  the date is coming

I definitely understand how the T&C works. However, on February 6, 2020, at least some cruise lines, hotels, tour providers were modifying the T&C to prevent cancellations. Oceania actually has made significant modifications and continues to do so. I assumed that the TA was giving me accurate information as of that date. 

She also told me that I will get a certificate for a 100% credit of the deposit toward a different cruise. That is also not part of the original T&C.

Just a warning to others-do not trust new offers, discounts, etc. from a TA until you actually get the information directly from Oceania. Ask the TA for a copy of the official change from Oceania.

Mary

29 minutes ago, azam71209 said:

I definitely understand how the T&C works. However, on February 6, 2020, at least some cruise lines, hotels, tour providers were modifying the T&C to prevent cancellations. Oceania actually has made significant modifications and continues to do so. I assumed that the TA was giving me accurate information as of that date. 

She also told me that I will get a certificate for a 100% credit of the deposit toward a different cruise. That is also not part of the original T&C.

Just a warning to others-do not trust new offers, discounts, etc. from a TA until you actually get the information directly from Oceania. Ask the TA for a copy of the official change from Oceania.

Mary

Sorry but you still need a new TA. 

Oceania has NOT changed its longstanding legal T&Cs (the link above). In any case, your agreement with Oceania is based on the T&Cs (the 10+ page version) that were in effect when you booked. And, while those T&Cs give Oceania the discretion to change a variety of items, they also state outright that cruises cancelled by Oceania provide 100% refund. 

However, if YOU cancel after penalty deadlines start (prior to final payment), you are subject to those fees. 

This is one reason why some folks choose to wait out the decision to cancel everything from cruises to airfare, etc.

4 minutes ago, Flatbush Flyer said:

And, while those T&Cs give Oceania the discretion to change a variety of items, they also state outright that cruises cancelled by Oceania provide 100% refund. 

It will be interesting to see how this holds up in the near future as cruise lines will have to continue to cancel but will also surely run short on cash and will try to offer FCC instead of refunds.

Can you hold them accountable to their own T&Cs like them hold us accountable to those  same T&Cs?

13 minutes ago, Paulchili said:

It will be interesting to see how this holds up in the near future as cruise lines will have to continue to cancel but will also surely run short on cash and will try to offer FCC instead of refunds.

Can you hold them accountable to their own T&Cs like them hold us accountable to those  same T&Cs?

Agreed. The FCC option $$$ will probably increase as the cash-on-hand dwindles. 

Hold them accountable? I'm sure that there are attorneys already drawing up class-action suits (for all cruise lines) when the ultimate "sh@* hits the fan."

Our next, still intact, cruise (Nautica - Athens to Athens to Dubai) is coming up this November. Final pay is in June with penalties starting at least a month earlier. From recent Nautica and Insignia cruises, we've got two FCCs and will probably use them to keep our out-of-pocket costs down to a few thousand dollars. Of course, the big question is: If Oceania does cancel, will the FCCs carryover (a Reservation Supervisor told me "Yes.")?

And then, there's our United bizclass tix, which we purchased before the recent start date of change fee relaxation. I expect that we'll at least be able to get an ETC.

Bottom line is that all is somewhat of a gamble that brings to mind the old adage: "A bird in the hand...."

52 minutes ago, Flatbush Flyer said:

And then, there's our United bizclass tix, which we purchased before the recent start date of change fee relaxation. I expect that we'll at least be able to get an ETC.

"

On bizclass United tix, purchased 2/6/20, I canceled online yesterday for ETC in the full amount.  And if there are questions, they've built a good bot.  

1 hour ago, Kate-AHF said:

On bizclass United tix, purchased 2/6/20, I canceled online yesterday for ETC in the full amount.  And if there are questions, they've built a good bot.  

That's good to know. Is ETC good for 1 year from tix purchase or cancel date?

Also, do you specify desire for ETC before or after you select "cancel." (I always prefer knowing what will happen before I click something).

Thanks!

Must be used 1 year from cancel date.  If you booked with miles (which I did not) you can get an FFC, to be used within one  year, AND it's good for codeshare, which ETC is not.

I honestly can't remember what came when once I logged on and clicked "Cancel my trip".

Here's a good resource that has a link for the travel bot (which you won't need, but others might 🙂 )

https://www.united.com/ual/en/us/fly/travel/notices.html

8 minutes ago, Kate-AHF said:

If you booked with miles (which I did not) you can get an FFC, to be used within one  year, AND it's good for codeshare, which ETC is not.

Sorry Kate - what is an FFC - Future Flight Credit? We usually fly for miles.

I thought that you could just redeposit your miles as you would normally do and now they would waive the fee for the redeposit? That is the option I would prefer.

Edited by Paulchili

4 minutes ago, Kate-AHF said:

Future Flight Credit.  The whole "miles" thing is over my head (and my pay grade - we just don't fly enough), so I can't say this is a change in policy on miles re-deposit - or an another option.

Thanks. Maybe FlatbushFlyer has the answer? 🙂

14 minutes ago, Flatbush Flyer said:

Never heard of an FFC. Have gotten ETCs for purchased flights in the past. And have redeposited miles w/wo fee (depending on loyalty level at the time and/or phone rep OK).

Thank you.

Surely if they cancel your flight you should be able to redeposit your miles w/o a fee regardless of your loyalty level

2 hours ago, Kate-AHF said:

That is very nice but most of the other airlines are giving you a full refund not just a future air credit...…..same argument people are complaining about for Oceania!

FWIW, there will be new case law established here, because it can't be legal to assess a penalty for a contracted service if the Provider is, at a later date, is prohibited by law from providing that service.

71KDxVZOSTL._AC_SX522_.jpg

These Travel Bans are creating a whole new World.  

7 minutes ago, Paulchili said:

Can you be more specific please.

I personally have had flights on both American and Delta canceled due to the Corona Virus and I had the option of a refund OR a futures air credit.  I chose refund and the total cost of the tickets were refunded to my credit card (original form of payment).  I do know other airlines are also offering the same option but do not have personal experience.  United is one of only a few only offering a future air credit only.  Obviously, the airlines are pushing people to take the future air credit but you do have the option of a refund.

4 minutes ago, basor said:

I personally have had flights on both American and Delta canceled due to the Corona Virus and I had the option of a refund OR a futures air credit.  I chose refund and the total cost of the tickets were refunded to my credit card (original form of payment).  I do know other airlines are also offering the same option but do not have personal experience.  United is one of only a few only offering a future air credit only.  Obviously, the airlines are pushing people to take the future air credit but you do have the option of a refund.

Thank you. Good to know about AA & DL. BA is also offering only vouchers for cancelled paid flights.