American Refund/Credit poicy

phillyguy31

We had planed on traveling to Miami with our 2 grand daughters 12 and 14 for a cruise in June and I hold very little hope for that happening I am hoping that American cancels one of my flight so I can ask for a refund but if not I know I can cancel and get credit. So here is my question if I have to cancel does each person get the credit even though 2 of the people are minors? I know the refund comes back to the credit card I used but not sure about the credit.

Make sure you call or read the cancellation policy very carefully.  The credit can be a bit complicated, because there is a deadline for its use.  In some cases, the deadline is until end of this year, or one year from date of ticketing, whichever is earlier.  Thus, if you purchased your ticket early to mid last year, you will have only a few months to use the credit.  

2 hours ago, FlyerTalker said:

Credit passes through to the ticket holder.  Refund to the purchaser, generally as a chargeback to your credit card.

That’s what I thought, but I was hoping that. Since they were minors it was handled differently.

15 hours ago, phillyguy31 said:

That’s what I thought, but I was hoping that. Since they were minors it was handled differently.

Nope, payment for the flight and credit for the flight are two different things.  Kind of like when you pay for a cruise for your whole family, each person gets their own individual points for the cruise; the person who paid doesn't get to load up on getting all the points just because they paid.  With airlines, each ticket holder would get their own frequent flyer miles if they fly and if canceled, their own credit/vouchers in their own names to fly again in the future.

Edited by waterbug123
  • Thanks 1

On 3/27/2020 at 2:36 PM, dreamercruise said:

Make sure you call or read the cancellation policy very carefully.  The credit can be a bit complicated, because there is a deadline for its use.  In some cases, the deadline is until end of this year, or one year from date of ticketing, whichever is earlier.  Thus, if you purchased your ticket early to mid last year, you will have only a few months to use the credit.  

I found this out when looking into canceling our Alaska flights.  I purchased the flights in Feb so will have to use them by Feb 2021.  Unfortunately our next cruise is in April 2021 out of NY so now I will have to find an alternative trip to use them.  Not even sure what travel will be like between now and Feb or where we could possibly travel to.  

1 hour ago, TSUmom said:

I found this out when looking into canceling our Alaska flights.  I purchased the flights in Feb so will have to use them by Feb 2021.  Unfortunately our next cruise is in April 2021 out of NY so now I will have to find an alternative trip to use them.  Not even sure what travel will be like between now and Feb or where we could possibly travel to.  

I have exactly this problem, but my new flight will need to be much sooner.  This challenge is why I want to delay cancelling my flight, hoping that AA will cancel or change my original flight.  My chance is great, because my flights involve multi country bans.  One country bans US travelers, and US govt bans the second country.  Even if AA does not cancel the route completely, it may combine flights, making me take a flight from a different airport.  As for your case, you may want to assess the possibility of AA canceling or changing your flights.  Another option is to talk to AA to see if you could have your new air date extend 3 more months.

Lesson learned is book air through cruiseline or tour operator or not purchase air too early.

47 minutes ago, dreamercruise said:

I have exactly this problem, but my new flight will need to be much sooner.  This challenge is why I want to delay cancelling my flight, hoping that AA will cancel or change my original flight.  My chance is great, because my flights involve multi country bans.  One country bans US travelers, and US govt bans the second country.  Even if AA does not cancel the route completely, it may combine flights, making me take a flight from a different airport.  As for your case, you may want to assess the possibility of AA canceling or changing your flights.  Another option is to talk to AA to see if you could have your new air date extend 3 more months.

Lesson learned is book air through cruiseline or tour operator or not purchase air too early.

Yes lesson learned.  

• 2 weeks later...

Our trip to Europe has been cancelled by the river cruise company and they gave me future cruise credit plus

the airfare with American.

I paid $400 extra direct to American for preferred seating and main cabin extra with my credit card in February.

Will it automatically go back on CC ? Should I call airline or am I out the money.

I assume that AA would automatically refund you for everything your charged for your air.  Just to make sure, call AA.  It is possible that AA, while busy with rebooking and cancellations, would not know about the extra you paid for seat selection.  Of course, you can do nothing, and wait for the credit to appear on your credit card account to find out.  The refund process may take long nowadays.

Last year, I booked British Airways.  My flight was cancelled due to pilot strike.  When I called BA to rebook, the new flight had only three seats left to choose for my husband and me.  All three seats were middle seats far apart.  I had to remind the agent about the extra money I paid for seat selection.  The agent then talked to his supervisor, and refunded me the charge for seat selection.

I am thrilled and relieved to learn that AA has just waived change fee and extended air credit for travel till Dec 31, 2021.  I can cancel original booking and rebook later.  Now, I can relax and rebook my Africa trip next year.

Hope the new information also helps you.

On 3/30/2020 at 8:54 AM, dreamercruise said:

I just saw on AA website that they are now extending use of credits thru Dec 2021 Yay for us

Edited by TSUmom

AA is still not waiving the replacement fee for putting miles from a cancelled flight back into your account . Also, they have not extended current advantage status another year to the end of 2021. Both Delta and United have done the fee waiver and status extension. Get aboard AA.

7 hours ago, TSUmom said:

I just saw on AA website that they are now extending use of credits thru Dec 2021 Yay for us

Thanks for mentioning this, as it reminded me to check the AA website. 

Just an FYI for anyone might prefer a refund to a credit: I notice that they fail to mention (even in the FAQs about cancelled flights) that AA MUST give a refund if they cancel the flight.  It's required by law. 

1 hour ago, dabear said:

AA is still not waiving the replacement fee for putting miles from a cancelled flight back into your account . Also, they have not extended current advantage status another year to the end of 2021. Both Delta and United have done the fee waiver and status extension. Get aboard AA.

I have been waiting for AA to match Delta and United on trips booked with award miles.  I can't believe that my RT air to SEA for May is going to cost me $150 to get my miles back when I should be able to do it on line with no intervention needed or cost to the airline....  

On 4/8/2020 at 3:37 PM, mchell810 said:

Thanks for mentioning this, as it reminded me to check the AA website. 

Just an FYI for anyone might prefer a refund to a credit: I notice that they fail to mention (even in the FAQs about cancelled flights) that AA MUST give a refund if they cancel the flight.  It's required by law. 

Curious... Would a refund also apply to original flights cancelled by the carrier who then rebooks passengers on alternate flights with much longer connection times? Specifically, this pertains to AA.

17 minutes ago, C-Dragons said:

Curious... Would a refund also apply to original flights cancelled by the carrier who then rebooks passengers on alternate flights with much longer connection times? Specifically, this pertains to AA.

I would think yes (unless it's only the connecting flight that was changed, in which case I am not sure).   All airlines operating in/out of the US are required by Dept. of Transportation rules to give a refund if THEY cancel the flight.  I have linked the DOT page HERE

I think you should call American as soon as you can and let them know you want the refund per DOT rules.  Once they know you KNOW what you deserve they are usually good about it. 

Edited by mchell810

22 minutes ago, mchell810 said:

I would think yes (unless it's only the connecting flight that was changed, in which case I am not sure).   All airlines operating in/out of the US are required by Dept. of Transportation rules to give a refund if THEY cancel the flight.  I have linked the DOT page HERE

I think you should call American as soon as you can and let them know you want the refund per DOT rules.  Once they know you KNOW what you deserve they are usually good about it. 

Thanks for your input. I had read the DOT regulations, but am still not convinced AA will give a refund. I will be calling today, fingers crossed.

• Like 1

On 4/8/2020 at 2:10 PM, dabear said:

They must have changed this since they day you posted and yesterday. I cancelled two flights that were booked with miles and all miles were put back in my acct, all fees will be refunded. There was no penalty or charge to do this. Only stipulation was you had to have booked flight prior to certain date(March ??) and flight had to be no later than Sept 30, 2020. 

I just got an email from AA. They are extending elite status one year and not charging a fee for replacing award miles back  into an account fro flights booked by May 30, 2020 for travel through September 30, 2020.  Thanks AA. Now same as UA and DL.

16 hours ago, dabear said:

I just got an email from AA. They are extending elite status one year and not charging a fee for replacing award miles back  into an account fro flights booked by May 30, 2020 for travel through September 30, 2020.  Thanks AA. Now same as UA and DL.

I received the email too...happy they are being a bit easier on us.  I did make changes to our Key West trip for May to Sept, I used miles and they did not give me any trouble doing that.  That was last month.

• 2 weeks later...
On 4/8/2020 at 1:34 AM, dreamercruise said:

I am thrilled and relieved to learn that AA has just waived change fee and extended air credit for travel till Dec 31, 2021.  I can cancel original booking and rebook later.  Now, I can relax and rebook my Africa trip next year.

Hope the new information also helps you.

Update - I patiently waited for AA to cancel my non-refundable flight to South Africa, and the wait paid off.  When I noticed one of the flight segment disappeared in my account, I called AA, and the agent confirmed flight cancellation.  I opted for cancellation/full refund (instead or rebooking or flight credits) and followed simple, online directions to request refund.  Now ten days later, I got email confirmation about refund granted and to be deposited back in my credit card.  Thank you, AA.  In addition, thanks AA for extending my elite status for another year.

If you also have upcoming flights with non-refundable tickets, you may also consider waiting for your airline to cancel flight.

Just so we're clear, my flights were not cancelled. They fit in the timeframe for being able to cancel yourself without penalty. I got all my miles back as well as taxes with no fee to do that. Money is back on my CC and miles back in the acct. 

I believe if your flight is between now and Sept 30th you can cancel with no penalty. I did have to call them. 

3 hours ago, ORV said:

Just so we're clear, my flights were not cancelled. They fit in the timeframe for being able to cancel yourself without penalty. I got all my miles back as well as taxes with no fee to do that. Money is back on my CC and miles back in the acct. 

I believe if your flight is between now and Sept 30th you can cancel with no penalty. I did have to call them. 

Does this Penalty-free cancellation rule apply to non-refundable tickets?  Please clarify rule for voluntary cancellation of non-refundable tickets.  Mine were non-refundable.  I got free cancellation because AA cancelled my flight.  Do not think I can get full refund if I cancel the flight before AA does.