Changes in Onboard Behavior & Procedures after Cruises restart sailing again...

NavyCruiser

49 minutes ago, ilikeanswers said:

@cruisemom42 and @Toofarfromthesea sorry for the confusion this is my fault my wording I realise doesn't make sense. It would probably help I could find the article again and link it. I used the term "show trial" because that is what the financial expert used but it was obviously something he made up since it clearly means something different to you both. The article was saying that there are pharma companies announcing that they have a drug they want to take to trial but in reality they are not doing anything with the drug so there is no fake trial and maybe they are start up companies, I didn't recognise the names of the companies but then I don't really know pharmaceutical companies that well. The point of the article was that when you see a headline like "21 coronavirus drug trials" the journalists are getting the numbers from announcements not checking if the companies are actually taking a drug to trial. 

Thanks for the explanation. As with so many things, the real picture is complicated.

If it is one thing that I hope people take onboard from this pandemic, it is that journalists are not always experts in what they are reporting and are often under pressure to simplify things that are difficult to simplify accurately in order to make them understandable. On top of that, there is a lot of misinformation out there from sources that are NOT well intentioned, that only want to create panic or fear (or almost as bad, to get viewers/readers/followers).

I urge people to not just take things at face value but to read several sources in order to verify things and when possible to try to get a better understanding by reading not just the day's news stories but by looking up information from relevant experts.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, cruisemom42 said:

I urge people to not just take things at face value but to read several sources in order to verify things and when possible to try to get a better understanding by reading not just the day's news stories but by looking up information from relevant experts.

I'm a self-described "info junkie." I've said for years that if it sounds too good or too bad to be true, I will try to fact check it before I share it. And I'm careful about the sources I rely on. And I really appreciate your voice. Thanks.

OK, so back to these virus sniffing dogs.  I'm asymptomatic, and I'm standing in line to board at the cruise terminal.  The dog sniffs me, and starts barking its head off.  What happens to me?  Am I run out of the terminal by other cruisers carrying torches and pitch forks?  Where do I go?  I can't fly home and expose passengers on the plane (I've already done that on my flight to the embarkation port).  Does the cruise line or county health dept. take me to a local quarantine facility?  Who pays for this?  Will travel insurance cover it?  Do I get a refund on my cruise?

• Like 2

People are in panic mode.  Studies are showing that the death rate could be much lower then common flu. 

We are going to find out that this lockdown caused more problems then with no lockdown.

The study suggests that up to 85 times more people had the virus then reported.  

All this bull about cruise lines need to change could be ridicules and just shows peoples panic instinct.  That is no 5eal thought process, just buy all the toilet paper.  

https://www.latimes.com/california/story/2020-04-17/coronavirus-antibodies-study-santa-clara-county

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Aquahound said:

I'm not saying that photo is fake because I do not know.  What I do know is that I do not trust anything Mr. Walker publishes.  It is his business to sue the cruise lines and that's what he's trying to drum up.  Mr. Walker's reputation is that he's the fake news of the cruise industry; take an once of truth and spin it out of control for his own agenda.  

Here's an article from the CBC with another photo from the Epic.  No social distancing in evidence.

https://www.cbc.ca/news/business/cruise-ships-stranded-crew-members-cdc-covid-19-1.5552424

According to the person quoted in the article there are no COVID-19 cases onboard.  It also states that Norwegian took crews from several ships and crammed them on to the Epic.  Norwegian refused to comment on the article.

4 hours ago, Roz said:

OK, so back to these virus sniffing dogs.  I'm asymptomatic, and I'm standing in line to board at the cruise terminal.  The dog sniffs me, and starts barking its head off.  What happens to me?  Am I run out of the terminal by other cruisers carrying torches and pitch forks?  Where do I go?  I can't fly home and expose passengers on the plane (I've already done that on my flight to the embarkation port).  Does the cruise line or county health dept. take me to a local quarantine facility?  Who pays for this?  Will travel insurance cover it?  Do I get a refund on my cruise?

Equally important is adequate study of whether the dog will give false positives for people who had the infection but recovered.  That was the problem with the S. Korean "re-infection" issue.  

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Toofarfromthesea said:

Equally important is adequate study of whether the dog will give false positives for people who had the infection but recovered.  That was the problem with the S. Korean "re-infection" issue.  

That's a really good question. 

6 hours ago, Roz said:

All good questions. I wonder if the people proposing these things have considered them.

Nothing is going to be simple when we all come out of social distancing.

On 5/2/2020 at 9:35 AM, ontheweb said:

Gee, I thought the definition of a reputable source was someone who agrees with you. For instance in another thread I quoted Dr. Fauci as saying there could be a vaccine in January. The reply was no, stay with 12-18 months that he had previously said, and the new quotation must be that there was a threat to fire him.

Now earlier today I saw on the news (NBC from NY City) that there are presently 14 clinical trials all proceeding at "warp speed".  Will there be a vaccine by January? I don't know, but there sure is a better chance than there was back in March.

One may be available before January.

25 minutes ago, SRF said:

One may be available before January.

But, with all the shortcuts being taken, would you trust that vaccine?  I sure won't.   And, which mutation of COVID-19 are they working with?  Research has found difference in the "Washington/California" structure vs the "New York" structure.  Do they flip a dime?  Hope that their basic formulation works with both?  

History lesson:  Back during the AIDS pandemic, many, many people were marked as dying from pneumonia instead of AIDS.  That biased the numbers downward, as the pneumonia was a resultant function of AIDS.  And, in certain areas, it helped wealthy and well-known families to keep the "stigma" of having a family member with AIDS.   Someone has COVID-19 but dies from heart failure.  It it from the heart failure alone or was the heart failure a resultant function of the severity of the COVID-19?    WAY above my pay grade to decide that.   And, anyone have a like to a RELIABLE source where it was reported that people with COVID-19 were being dumped into other areas deliberately to inflate the death rate????

11 hours ago, Toofarfromthesea said:

It is all well and good to say "I suggest you wait until the final count is in" but we can't just wait because we have to make decisions NOW that are going to affect those final numbers.

You're not talking about travel/cruising, are you?

5 hours ago, clo said:

You're not talking about travel/cruising, are you?

This thread has been off topic for a few pages now 😂. I am surprised the mods haven't shut it down yet, they usually seem pretty strict with these things. 

5 hours ago, ilikeanswers said:

This thread has been off topic for a few pages now 😂. I am surprised the mods haven't shut it down yet, they usually seem pretty strict with these things. 

Since there's little cruise/travel related, I think they're cutting some slack. I actually sent them a note a while back thanking them 🙂 

The topic of this thread is about changes onboard.  So to bring it back to that subject;  I wonder if all the cruise lines across the board will work together and share their knowledge about what they will be doing on board their ships.  That way if one company is doing something really well to keep everything clean and sanitized; the other cruise lines would be able to share in that

• Like 1

1 hour ago, AF-1 said:

The topic of this thread is about changes onboard.  So to bring it back to that subject;  I wonder if all the cruise lines across the board will work together and share their knowledge about what they will be doing on board their ships.  That way if one company is doing something really well to keep everything clean and sanitized; the other cruise lines would be able to share in that

That would be good. One really bad incident is going to reflect poorly on the entire industry, not just the cruise line unfortunate enough to experience it.

20 minutes ago, navybankerteacher said:

Discussion of any other RATE -  which will have to be based, as you acknowledge, upon “final numbers” which will, in all likelihood, never come out, is a pointless exercise.

Or years and years down the road. Data has to be accumulated and analyzed. No quick way to do that.

On 5/5/2020 at 5:44 PM, slidergirl said:

But, with all the shortcuts being taken, would you trust that vaccine?  I sure won't.   And, which mutation of COVID-19 are they working with?  Research has found difference in the "Washington/California" structure vs the "New York" structure.  Do they flip a dime?  Hope that their basic formulation works with both?  

History lesson:  Back during the AIDS pandemic, many, many people were marked as dying from pneumonia instead of AIDS.  That biased the numbers downward, as the pneumonia was a resultant function of AIDS.  And, in certain areas, it helped wealthy and well-known families to keep the "stigma" of having a family member with AIDS.   Someone has COVID-19 but dies from heart failure.  It it from the heart failure alone or was the heart failure a resultant function of the severity of the COVID-19?    WAY above my pay grade to decide that.   And, anyone have a like to a RELIABLE source where it was reported that people with COVID-19 were being dumped into other areas deliberately to inflate the death rate????

1)  Sure I would.  Vaccine production is not anything new.  The issue is figuring out the proper antigens to use in the production.   A lot of vaccine testing is developing the number of how many % of people who are vaccinated develop immunity and for how long.

2) Just because there is a mutation, does not mean the antigens change.  The most common test today is a PCR test, where they compare the RNA directly.  So a small change in the RNA would be a mutation, but it may have no affect on the possibility of a single vaccine working.

And anyway, if they have a vaccine for the most common one, it is better than not having a vaccine at all.

• Thanks 1

On 5/5/2020 at 2:44 PM, slidergirl said:

History lesson:  Back during the AIDS pandemic, many, many people were marked as dying from pneumonia instead of AIDS.  That biased the numbers downward, as the pneumonia was a resultant function of AIDS.  And, in certain areas, it helped wealthy and well-known families to keep the "stigma" of having a family member with AIDS.   

Sadly pneumonia was the result of AIDs in too many cases. I didn't realize misdiagnoses of cause of death was that widespread. But I guess I could see how that could be.  Either way,  I would be surprised if purposely mislabeling cause of death to save face by rich people happened enough to significantly skew data.  But of course, just my opinion  (which is frequently proven to be wrong).  

Just a friendly reminder to all. Please note the green bar appearing at the top of the board pages at this time that states the following:

Please Take Moment To Read....Remember Our Purpose

By CC Help Jenn
03/07/2020

The world has become a changing place; we're all stressed, worried and nothing makes sense any longer. 

We've lost  jobs, the security of every day life, some experience health issues and yes, some have even lost friends and family.

For 25 years we've provided this haven for cruisers.  KEYWORD:  haven.    I'm asking that you all remember that.  This is our place to escape, connect with friends and to discuss your favorite form of travel -- cruising.

Don't bring politics into your posts.  Soften your "virtual" voice when you respond to others.  Re-read before you push the submit button.  Let's set an example for the rest of the travel world by displaying who we are!  Remember, we're all in this together.

Thank you for listening, and for your anticipated cooperation,

LauraS and the Cruise Critic Community Team

Now please note the quote of the OP's post as follows:

On 3/27/2020 at 2:09 PM, NavyCruiser said:

Even way before this current cruise line shutdown, we have observed numerous questionable guest behaviors & onboard procedures.  Pls don't take this personally if you still enjoy these activities, but just for us, we don't get into the hot tubs, pools, steam rooms, etc. anymore, since my spouse considers them cesspools for germs & other nastyness.  There are numerous guest behaviors that grossed us out, esp in the buffet, gym, theater, & other large gatherings.  For example:

- buffet:  both adults & kids directly touching food items then put it back, without using tongs;  how many people touch those tongs...?

- gym:  walking away from sweaty equipment without towel wipedown, spitting in water fountain

- theater:  openly coughing & sneezing, etc

Sorry, these are just a very few examples of gross behaviors that really need to change, esp after this shutdown is done

So what do you think new procedures the cruise lines will implement once they restart sailing again for better sanitation purposes?

I would guess:

- mini health inspection, ie: temperature scanner for fever, at embarkation, instead of just paper form stating you are fever free & no flu-like symptoms

- retrofit all ships with full hand washing stations instead of just Purell dispensers at buffet entrance

- staff will serve you food items from behind the counter in the buffet, instead of you self-serve food items with tongs

- limit number of persons in hot tubs, & must shower before entering

- eliminate steam rooms

- more antiseptic wipes in the gym

- no more self serve ice cream dispensers, only served by staff at certain hours

What are your ideas...?

This thread has wandered off-track many times. Also, numeous bickering, harrasing, off-topic posts and quotes of removed posts have had to be removed per the Guidelines we all agreed to follow when registering for our free Cruise Critic memberships. If you have any questions, comments or feedback about any post removals or board moderation on any of the boards please email community@cruisecritic.com and not post about them on the boards per the Guidelines. Be sure to send your email from your Cruise Critic email address of record and mention your Cruise Critic user name.

Now let us all stick to the thread topic and return to being the polite ladies & gentlemen our parents raised. And please...  please ... pretty please... THINK before you click the Submit Reply button. emo34.gif 

Happy sails... someday,

Host Kat emo32.gif

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1