I am going through cruise withdrawal..anyone else?

sandycruzr

12 hours ago, CGTNORMANDIE said:

Of course we all feel for the less fortunate people who are truly suffering during this disaster.  That does not mean most of us here are not feeling the pangs of Cruise Withdrawal.  Since this thread is dedicated to how we feel about those wonderful sensations that happen when we walk up the gangway and our current need to escape.  Let’s face it...we are a bunch of cruise crazed sybarites who are longing to get back to cruising as we knew it.  Sure there are going to be roadblocks and some pains along the way to recovery...but we will get there.  

If you want to talk about cruise withdrawal then let me tell you about real cruise withdrawal.  A heart attack, a stent, blood thinners, internal bleeding, colon cancer, 9”of colon removed, oncology follow up testing, genetic kidney failure,  2 years of dialysis and 6 times in the OR for fistula access and heart catheter.  Now I’m waiting for a kidney transplant which is being held up due to Corona Virus Pandemic.  All this in three years and no cruising allowed for two of those years.  Ha ha ha ha!!  Hell...when life hands you lemons you make lemonade and some of us make lemon merengue pie!!  Cruise withdrawal...I’ll say I’ve got cruise withdrawal but I’m here to tell all of you...I’m already planning my return to cruising!!  It will be the biggest most hellacious party ever attempted onboard a ship and all of you are invited!!!  I’ll keep you posted!  😋

Thank you for allowing me to vent.

@CGTNORMANDIE  I Am finally ready to respond....

Thank you very, very, very much for posting your perspective and approach to sailing and your health.... the reality and 'potential' gravity of life, living and caring given your situation.

Thank you 'brave one' for sharing a positive approach to life and living and sailing, which some of us get some push back, for harbouring.

Thank you for hanging in there and keeping your hope, life, love and above all care alive and thriving as much as possible for your parade and no one else's!

May I join your parade of living and joy and fun and future forward thinking and appreciation?

I, truly, trust that your transplant goes off without a hitch AND if you ever need to reach out for support in this do not hesitate to let me know what I can do to support and help further, as I know you have a great support group around you at home now, but a bit more cannot hurt!

I, for one, accept, support and share your enthusiasm for sailing.... never let it go, never let anyone say you cannot, never let anyone deny - only unless you choose to! Stay strong.

In health and bon voyage

Edited by Bo1953
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Bo1953 said:

@CGTNORMANDIE  I Am finally ready to respond....

Thank you very, very, very much for posting your perspective and approach to sailing and your health.... the reality and 'potential' gravity of life, living and caring given your situation.

Thank you 'brave one' for sharing a positive approach to life and living and sailing, which some of us get some push back, for harbouring.

Thank you for hanging in there and keeping your hope, life, love and above all care alive and thriving as much as possible for your parade and no one else's!

May I join your parade of living and joy and fun and future forward thinking and appreciation?

I, truly, trust that your transplant goes off without a hitch AND if you ever need to reach out for support in this do not hesitate to let me know what I can do to support and help further, as I know you have a great support group around you at home now, but a bit more cannot hurt!

I, for one, accept, support and share your enthusiasm for sailing.... never let it go, never let anyone say you cannot, never let anyone deny - only unless you choose to! Stay strong.

In health and bon voyage

I just read that River Cruises out of Europe expect not to return for at least a couple years as they cater to a lot of North Americans over age 65.  Also with European hospitals not as well equipped and overcrowded its puts us at greater risk.  I was actually contemplating doing a river cruise but guess that won't happen soon. 

5 minutes ago, drakes2 said:

I just read that River Cruises out of Europe expect not to return for at least a couple years as they cater to a lot of North Americans over age 65.  Also with European hospitals not as well equipped and overcrowded its puts us at greater risk.  I was actually contemplating doing a river cruise but guess that won't happen soon. 

Have you checked for  river cruises in the U.S. and/or in your home country of Canada?

I can understand that they may not be great sounding as an Euro sailing, but may offer some respite until that market is safer to return to.

bon voyage

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Bo1953 said:

Have you checked for  river cruises in the U.S. and/or in your home country of Canada?

I can understand that they may not be great sounding as an Euro sailing, but may offer some respite until that market is safer to return to.

bon voyage

No haven't checked anything here yet. One of the reasons why I like Europe is I can combine with a trip to see my son and family in Amsterdam. Some cruises start there and return  to same port which saves me an additional flight as I visit them every summer been going 6 years in a row now.  Sad it won't happen this year.  Stay safe.

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, drakes2 said:

No haven't checked anything here yet. One of the reasons why I like Europe is I can combine with a trip to see my son and family in Amsterdam. Some cruises start there and return  to same port which saves me an additional flight as I visit them every summer been going 6 years in a row now.  Sad it won't happen this year.  Stay safe.

Ahhh, yes I do understand and that would be great...

Sorry you will not be able to visit, MAYBE by years end something might happen to make the visit possible to either side of the pond!

In health and bon voyage

24 minutes ago, Bo1953 said:

Sorry you will not be able to visit, MAYBE by years end something might happen to make the visit possible to either side of the pond!

@Bo1953 One I'm looking at on Reflection September 4, 2021. 12 nights Amsterdam Belgium France Spain and Italy. Gives me a chance to see the kids last week August before start of school year. God willing if all is ok by then I'll be booking it.  

• Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, drakes2 said:

@Bo1953 One I'm looking at on Reflection September 4, 2021. 12 nights Amsterdam Belgium France Spain and Italy. Gives me a chance to see the kids last week August before start of school year. God willing if all is ok by then I'll be booking it.  

That sounds like a great itinerary, for sure!

Are you video conferencing with them now?

bon voyage

8 minutes ago, Bo1953 said:

That sounds like a great itinerary, for sure!

Are you video conferencing with them now?

bon voyage

@Bo1953 yes we Skype once a week sometimes more after noon as they do schoolwork in the morning. They are 11 7 and 5 years old. Last year brought my Granddaughter from Canada for a visit in August.  

• Like 1

1 minute ago, drakes2 said:

@Bo1953 yes we Skype once a week sometimes more after noon as they do schoolwork in the morning. They are 11 7 and 5 years old. Last year brought my Granddaughter from Canada for a visit in August.  

@drakes2 That is great!

Just thinking about it, you have to get up a little early to chat with them in the afternoon with a six (6) hour difference in time...

That is great either way...

bon voyage

1 hour ago, drakes2 said:

Where did you read this? Hope you're wrong about this.

21 minutes ago, dolllover said:

Where did you read this? Hope you're wrong about 

The site is rivercruisepassenger.com

The gist is river cruises cater to a certain age group many who will be nervous to travel throughout Europe for fear of sickness.  Some have suspended sailings till after July.  Not saying they won't sail just may take couple of years for all to get back to normal. 

• Thanks 1

20 hours ago, drakes2 said:

The site is rivercruisepassenger.com

The gist is river cruises cater to a certain age group many who will be nervous to travel throughout Europe for fear of sickness.  Some have suspended sailings till after July.  Not saying they won't sail just may take couple of years for all to get back to normal. 

I admit I have not seen that site before so thanks for posting.  I think river cruises will be much like other types of cruises - it is wait and see right now.  So don't abandon hope yet!

• Like 1

OK my “cruise withdrawal” is now worse than ever!  We should be on the Edge this week..instead we are here in Buffalo experiencing unseasonably cold weather and freezing rain.   I need a cocktail 😎
I am trying hard to look on the bright side and I feel so fortunate that we are all healthy...Nothing is more important than that. 
But still...the sea is calling ❤️

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 4/8/2020 at 9:38 PM, CGTNORMANDIE said:

Of course we all feel for the less fortunate people who are truly suffering during this disaster.  That does not mean most of us here are not feeling the pangs of Cruise Withdrawal.  Since this thread is dedicated to how we feel about those wonderful sensations that happen when we walk up the gangway and our current need to escape.  Let’s face it...we are a bunch of cruise crazed sybarites who are longing to get back to cruising as we knew it.  Sure there are going to be roadblocks and some pains along the way to recovery...but we will get there.  

If you want to talk about cruise withdrawal then let me tell you about real cruise withdrawal.  A heart attack, a stent, blood thinners, internal bleeding, colon cancer, 9”of colon removed, oncology follow up testing, genetic kidney failure,  2 years of dialysis and 6 times in the OR for fistula access and heart catheter.  Now I’m waiting for a kidney transplant which is being held up due to Corona Virus Pandemic.  All this in three years and no cruising allowed for two of those years.  Ha ha ha ha!!  Hell...when life hands you lemons you make lemonade and some of us make lemon merengue pie!!  Cruise withdrawal...I’ll say I’ve got cruise withdrawal but I’m here to tell all of you...I’m already planning my return to cruising!!  It will be the biggest most hellacious party ever attempted onboard a ship and all of you are invited!!!  I’ll keep you posted!  😋

Thank you for allowing me to vent.

Can we come on your re-entry cruise?  You are a fighter as are so many of us are here on CC and in the "real-world".  Your post reminded me of what's really important and I thank you for sharing your struggle.  No matter how bad I may think things are for me, there is always someone else out there who has it worse. I appreciate your post as it gives me perspective.  Stay well and cruise on!

Edited by Georgia_Peaches

Here we are into several weeks of quarantine and still so sad about cancelling our RS 50th Anniversary May Alaska cruise!

Today, we actually started looking at a cruise and maybe will be putting on a deposit! I really got a flutter of excitement...We are

awaiting a call back from our TA to confirm my hold!

I am really in need of a "happy" dance...and will have something to look forward to for the next year!...and it could be a LONG year!  It is 100% refundable, so we thought we could take a leap of faith here...Our prayer is that life will return to some form of

"new normal" that includes cruising....We are also concerned about the over age 70 doctors note requirement... Not sure how the medical profession will feel about that whole thing...But we need a dream now and then..so we hope that requirement goes away with the quarantine...Only time will tell.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Georgia_Peaches said:

Can we come on your re-entry cruise?  You are a fighter as are so many of us are here on CC and in the "real-world".  Your post reminded me of what's really important and I thank you for sharing your struggle.  No matter how bad I may think things are for me, there is always someone else out there who has it worse. I appreciate your post as it gives me perspective.  Stay well and cruise on!

Thanks Georgia,

I will surely keep you posted and an engraved invitation will arrive in your mailbox when the time is right.  🙂

Edited by CGTNORMANDIE
  • Like 2

21 hours ago, sandycruzr said:

OK my “cruise withdrawal” is now worse than ever!  We should be on the Edge this week..instead we are here in Buffalo experiencing unseasonably cold weather and freezing rain.   I need a cocktail 😎
I am trying hard to look on the bright side and I feel so fortunate that we are all healthy...Nothing is more important than that. 
But still...the sea is calling ❤️

Wow unseasonably cold weather and freezing rain in Buffalo.  It sounds like you should shelter in place. 😃

10 minutes ago, TeeRick said:

Wow unseasonably cold weather and freezing rain in Buffalo.  It sounds like you should shelter in place. 😃

Now we add snow to my list of gripes😩 instead of dipping my toes in the beautiful white sand at 7 mile beach, I’m outside wearing a parka and boots and trudging through the snow! This is just a diversion from all the bad news...I am grateful to have a healthy family despite living in a coronavirus hotspot. 

I decided to take a trip down memory lane and look at pictures from our 2019/2020 cruises.  I for one will surely treasure our next cruise...whenever that will be!   

• Like 1