I am going through cruise withdrawal..anyone else?

sandycruzr

Hi Everyone,

As a daughter of two parents that survived the Great Depression, WWII, and growing up the only girl in a very chauvinistic, southern family, since a child, my love of the ocean gave me clarity of thought and a serene feeling of peace.

As a child. I lived for trips on our family’s boat on the Chesapeake Bay, or trips to Ocean City, Maryland. As an adult, I worked three jobs to buy a beach house to retire to. Then, Hurricane Sandy destroyed my two, older shore homes, next door to each other in Ocean City, NJ. FEMA, I found out, was not interested in reimbursing us since neither was our primary home. 

So, we looked forward instead of backward, and started having “our shore house” in cabins on NCL and Carnival. We’ve left out if NY, sadly observing the changed skyline after 9/11, and out of Los Angeles after relocating to the west coast. And, now, I am determined to do the same again. I will look forward, as my parents did. I will pray for the plague to end; I will continue to check on my family, my students, and my stock portfolio.

I love the cruise industry, so I have rebooked my June Cruise; I will probably do the same for my July cruise, and since this awful reality began, I have repeatedly been buying stock in the cruise companies I love and respect. They need our support; their workers are counting on us. Now, I put a little extra aside to tip those I encounter in hospitality, and will encounter in the future on my next cruise. The people who bring us the “fizz” are in desperately worse circumstances than any cruise guest I ever met. Let’s look forward, as the Greatest Generation taught us. 

Look after one another, follow all guidelines, and  please remember that together, we will look at the calming, beautiful ocean again, and NOT take it or anything or anyone for granted. We won’t complain when the whipped cream is forgotten, or the prices increased. We will cheer; we will dance, and I for one, will cry with happiness as I watch the first sunset from my “shore house” stateroom. 

Until then, save your coffee money to tip those who are waiting to serve you; pray to a higher power that this ends quickly;  book your next cruise; buy some cruise company stock, and gather as one country, one America, one generation to fight this virus.

And, since I grew up in DC, with a mom who was a staunch democrat, and a dad who was a flaming republican, I finally, with all due respect ask you to encourage your representatives to stop dealing with the countries that keep quiet about viruses and allow wet markets. Hope to See you soon!

God Bless, and Keep Safe!

Platinum Cruise Muse

• Like 8

7 hours ago, GPS guy said:

Hi Everyone,

As a daughter of two parents that survived the Great Depression, WWII, and growing up the only girl in a very chauvinistic, southern family, since a child, my love of the ocean gave me clarity of thought and a serene feeling of peace.

As a child. I lived for trips on our family’s boat on the Chesapeake Bay, or trips to Ocean City, Maryland. As an adult, I worked three jobs to buy a beach house to retire to. Then, Hurricane Sandy destroyed my two, older shore homes, next door to each other in Ocean City, NJ. FEMA, I found out, was not interested in reimbursing us since neither was our primary home. 

So, we looked forward instead of backward, and started having “our shore house” in cabins on NCL and Carnival. We’ve left out if NY, sadly observing the changed skyline after 9/11, and out of Los Angeles after relocating to the west coast. And, now, I am determined to do the same again. I will look forward, as my parents did. I will pray for the plague to end; I will continue to check on my family, my students, and my stock portfolio.

I love the cruise industry, so I have rebooked my June Cruise; I will probably do the same for my July cruise, and since this awful reality began, I have repeatedly been buying stock in the cruise companies I love and respect. They need our support; their workers are counting on us. Now, I put a little extra aside to tip those I encounter in hospitality, and will encounter in the future on my next cruise. The people who bring us the “fizz” are in desperately worse circumstances than any cruise guest I ever met. Let’s look forward, as the Greatest Generation taught us. 

Look after one another, follow all guidelines, and  please remember that together, we will look at the calming, beautiful ocean again, and NOT take it or anything or anyone for granted. We won’t complain when the whipped cream is forgotten, or the prices increased. We will cheer; we will dance, and I for one, will cry with happiness as I watch the first sunset from my “shore house” stateroom. 

Until then, save your coffee money to tip those who are waiting to serve you; pray to a higher power that this ends quickly;  book your next cruise; buy some cruise company stock, and gather as one country, one America, one generation to fight this virus.

And, since I grew up in DC, with a mom who was a staunch democrat, and a dad who was a flaming republican, I finally, with all due respect ask you to encourage your representatives to stop dealing with the countries that keep quiet about viruses and allow wet markets. Hope to See you soon!

God Bless, and Keep Safe!

Platinum Cruise Muse

Darn, just darn!

Thank you and I Am following this about sailing, for sure.

bon voyage

• Like 2

We cruise several times a year (it's our favorite pasttime) and I'm saddened by so much going on in our world right now, but I also am thinking about all the islands without the cruise business. For them, this is worse than any hurricane they have ever encountered in the sense of their livlihood.  I look forward to seeing them again, to support them, and also to support our restaurants and businesses back home.  

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

On 3/27/2020 at 6:42 PM, groryjm said:

I'm trying really hard each night of our social distancing to imagine I'm in the WCB, Martini Bar or Michaels by mixing my DW and I a cocktail 🍸to easy the pain of self isolation. fingers crossed 🤞🤞🤞🤞🤞🤞I'll be on board in 98 days on the fourth  of July on Silly🍹

That's what we do also. Enjoying a martini in the afternoon followed by a barbecue with a glass of cabernet then stream a concert in the evening. Last night we saw a fabulous concert by Michael Bolton.  

• Like 4

On 3/27/2020 at 6:53 PM, Loujul said:

Definitely feeling sad over the cancellation of our two upcoming cruises.  Closest working vessel right now would be the Staten Island Ferry. 😒😩😩

I think that would be a great temp fix....

bon voyage

• Haha 1

Oh yes, I am missing cruising terribly!!  I retired a few months ago and had planned a whole set of b2b cruises to celebrate retiring and my very young 95 y.o. mother's birthday.  We were to start off with a TA from Tampa on the Brilliance of the Seas, through the Azores, and 2 stops in Ireland ending at Amsterdam.  Then we were to depart that same day, same ship on a Baltic cruise returning to Amsterdam, then 6 days there and in England and then the QM2 from Southampton to New York, a few days in NYC and then fly home.  I was so excited especially as I do not know what the days ahead will be like with my mom's aging process vs. the possibility of being stranded somewhere.  I do not foresee this COVID thing being fully resolved until after a vaccine is available which probably won't be until next year.

Alene

• Like 2

We had our first B2B cruise booked when this took over. We are really missing on travel this year and this one would have also been our first time crossing the equator on a ship.  A lot of firsts missed this time. But it would have been our 8th and 9th cruise. The second half we were to be joined by my step mom on her first ever cruise. Another time in the not too distant future though!  ... attached is on our way to Norway around the north of Scotland. What an adventure!

sailingTheHebrides.jpg

• Like 1

On 3/27/2020 at 9:00 PM, Bo1953 said:

p - it is not that we have forgotten the gravity of current situation, but our withdrawal comes a place where cruising was something many of us looked forward to and now another reality has hit home.

As many of us do focus on 'current life' we cannot help but pine for days of yore and know that possibly it will return which will not only help with healing of the world and our healing as well. So we choose to look forward to sailing again so ALL of us can move forward, in a positive light for sure and cruising is one of those things, for me, which will do that.

bon voyage

WELL. STATED !!!  

Alene

• Like 2

We just came off the Maasdam last week. Thank you San Diego for accepting us when Hawaii sent us on our way.. Anyone else from that cruise on CC? I hope all the Canadians made it home OK. It was hard not knowing when and if we would be able to get off the ship but the captain and crew were wonderful and of course we will cruise again.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, amstar23 said:

Oh yes, I am missing cruising terribly!!  I retired a few months ago and had planned a whole set of b2b cruises to celebrate retiring and my very young 95 y.o. mother's birthday.  We were to start off with a TA from Tampa on the Brilliance of the Seas, through the Azores, and 2 stops in Ireland ending at Amsterdam.  Then we were to depart that same day, same ship on a Baltic cruise returning to Amsterdam, then 6 days there and in England and then the QM2 from Southampton to New York, a few days in NYC and then fly home.  I was so excited especially as I do not know what the days ahead will be like with my mom's aging process vs. the possibility of being stranded somewhere.  I do not foresee this COVID thing being fully resolved until after a vaccine is available which probably won't be until next year.

Alene

Ditto.....we are retiring in May. Planned a few days in Ireland, then a cruise out of Dublin. Then a week long adventure around Ireland....Then fly to Barcelona to catch Connie to Venice.....and a few days in Venice before heading home....Our dream retirement trip.......will have to be postponed. We Want to reschedule, but also want to wait until it is safe to travel. I think we will need to wait for a vaccine before we feel safe to be out of the country. We will be "first on board" when we can!! So, in the meantime, I will dream my dreams, stay home and stay safe, and continue getting my cruise fix by reading cruisecritic. It is nice to read the positive posts and the jokes and stories.  Bummed out about our cruise out of Dublin --  it would have been our 1st time having All 4 perks and Plenty of OBC (so we bought a 4 night dining package and a couple tours).....That was a Great Deal!    Keep Well!  

• Like 1

4 hours ago, wishuponasea said:

Ditto.....we are retiring in May. Planned a few days in Ireland, then a cruise out of Dublin. Then a week long adventure around Ireland....Then fly to Barcelona to catch Connie to Venice.....and a few days in Venice before heading home....Our dream retirement trip.......will have to be postponed. We Want to reschedule, but also want to wait until it is safe to travel. I think we will need to wait for a vaccine before we feel safe to be out of the country. We will be "first on board" when we can!! So, in the meantime, I will dream my dreams, stay home and stay safe, and continue getting my cruise fix by reading cruisecritic. It is nice to read the positive posts and the jokes and stories.  Bummed out about our cruise out of Dublin --  it would have been our 1st time having All 4 perks and Plenty of OBC (so we bought a 4 night dining package and a couple tours).....That was a Great Deal!    Keep Well!  

Awwww... well maybe one day in the future we will bump into one another 🙂

• Like 1

On 3/27/2020 at 7:20 PM, Pinboy said:

Cruise Withdrawal ???  Really ???

Feeling " bummed "  over missing a drink ??

I'd rather think how lucky I am to have cruised , will cruise again in the future , pass some time on CC and could absolutely care less when our next cruise will be. 

How about the people that have lost their jobs, can't pay their rent , have little money for food , are taking a " beating " on the Stock Market, or are or have family or friends that are sick with this virus. 

Trust me, they are not having " Cruise Withdrawal " .

IMO--- At a time like this , to have " cruise withdrawal "  is quite selfish.

Where I am it's cold , windy, and we have been quarantined since we returned to Canada.  

Pinboy, why are you judging others and assuming they don’t care about those who are sick, etc? Why do you think others are not feeling blessed to have been able to do something enjoyable? Why presume to know how others feel? Why is it bad to be missing something that was or is enjoyable? Why is it bad to be wondering if one will be able to cruise again? Obviously you have cruised. Did you not enjoy it? If not, I’m sorry you didn’t, but that is not due to someone on this site. I’m sorry you have to endure cold and windy weather right now. Here in Louisiana we are in quarantine too. Louisiana is a hot spot for Covid 19. We are staying at home and doing what is necessary to flatten the curve. FYI a family member, a single 55 year old grandfather, who has adopted his only two grandchildren, (8 and 10), is NOT currently working due to having to stay home with the children and his business closing down. I know how some are suffering. My husband and I have had our granddaughter since she was a baby. We are 72 and 66. She is 13 now. We don’t know where our daughter, her mother, is right now. Our anxiety has certainly gone up because of this. As I said, we are staying at home too. I say all of this to tell you that present circumstances do not prevent me from thinking about and missing my previous, enjoyable cruises and wondering if I will cruise again anytime soon. Present circumstances don’t make it a bad thing for me to do that. Quit judging!

• Like 6

7 minutes ago, bays said:

Pinboy, why are you judging others and assuming they don’t care about those who are sick, etc? Why do you think others are not feeling blessed to have been able to do something enjoyable? Why presume to know how others feel? Why is it bad to be missing something that was or is enjoyable? Why is it bad to be wondering if one will be able to cruise again? Obviously you have cruised. Did you not enjoy it? If not, I’m sorry you didn’t, but that is not due to someone on this site. I’m sorry you have to endure cold and windy weather right now. Here in Louisiana we are in quarantine too. Louisiana is a hot spot for Covid 19. We are staying at home and doing what is necessary to flatten the curve. FYI a family member, a single 55 year old grandfather, who has adopted his only two grandchildren, (8 and 10), is NOT currently working due to having to stay home with the children and his business closing down. I know how some are suffering. My husband and I have had our granddaughter since she was a baby. We are 72 and 66. She is 13 now. We don’t know where our daughter, her mother, is right now. Our anxiety has certainly gone up because of this. As I said, we are staying at home too. I say all of this to tell you that present circumstances do not prevent me from thinking about and missing my previous, enjoyable cruises and wondering if I will cruise again anytime soon. Present circumstances don’t make it a bad thing for me to do that. Quit judging!

Also, I do feel very blessed in my present circumstances. I am happy to be at home and not stuck on a cruise ship. I pray for all those who have had to endure that. I pray for all the doctors, nurses, therapists, all the heroes on our “front lines” fighting this virus. I pray for all the patients and their families. Stay safe everybody! 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 4/5/2020 at 6:31 PM, Ruth said:

Our cruise out of Auckland, New Zealand was cancelled. However, we still had our Cruise Critic Sail Away Party and didn't miss our Muster Drill. Even had a beer doing our Muster Drill. Making the best of it!

party.jpg

Muster drill.jpg

I love it!!!

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, bays said:

Also, I do feel very blessed in my present circumstances. I am happy to be at home and not stuck on a cruise ship. I pray for all those who have had to endure that. I pray for all the doctors, nurses, therapists, all the heroes on our “front lines” fighting this virus. I pray for all the patients and their families. Stay safe everybody! 

1 hour ago, bays said:

@Pinboy  like many other of us, was writing what he was feeling at the time and IMO, meant no real offense to anyone on this topic. Just his opinion.

Let us face it, each one of us makes a judgement each time we read a post, speak to someone, hear or read the news etc... there is no way to get around it.

Rather we like what we are judging at the moment, is a totally different issue IMJ.

I have long understood that rather I like (judged) or dis-like (judged) about someones post is totally dependent on view point and topic at hand.

Understanding the situation, often times, can/may result in a different approach to the judger from the judgee.

Yes, I did respond to his post and impassioned a reconsideration by him for it and I believe he has done so to a great degree.

Then again, I may be late to the party.... LOL

IMJ have a bon voyage all!

Edited by Bo1953
  • Like 5
  • Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, Bo1953 said:

@Pinboy  like many other of us, was writing what he was feeling at the time and IMO, meant no real offense to anyone on this topic. Just his opinion.

Let us face it, each one of us makes a judgement each time we read a post, speak to someone, hear or read the news etc... there is no way to get around it.

Rather we like what we are judging at the moment, is a totally different issue IMJ.

I have long understood that rather I like (judged) or dis-like (judged) about someones post is totally dependent on view point and topic at hand.

Understanding the situation, often times, can/may result in a different approach to the judger from the judgee.

Yes, I did respond to his post and impassioned a reconsideration by him for it and I believe he has done so to a great degree.

Then again, I may be late to the party.... LOL

IMJ have a bon voyage all!

Hey Bo,

You have been a voice of reason on CC and I for one really appreciate your sound judgment and eloquent commentaries.  
Sandy

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

12 minutes ago, sandycruzr said:

Hey Bo,

You have been a voice of reason on CC and I for one really appreciate your sound judgment and eloquent commentaries.  
Sandy

Sandy,

Thank you very much for the undeserved, possibly, comment, I respect your judgement in making though.

@Pinboy is new to the boards, as I was one time and came on like gang busters, blowing down all the doors to the place! LOL

Then took two (2) steps back to think about what the boards are for, what will be my focal points and how to best and constructively contribute to each post I choose to read.

Are there times I get it wrong, sure thing and I do apologize for the error for sure.

At times there are those who are really maligned here, mainly undeserved, and I will attempt to make it clear what the stance or possibilities are or are not.

If something is not clear to me, then I ask for clarification, if it is danced around then I call it as read it.

There are many others who do a better job of it than I, still a work in progress for me for sure!

bon voyage

Edited by Bo1953
  • Like 3

1 hour ago, bays said:

bay,

I totally understand the frustration you have with my post .

It's really too bad that I can't reach out to you personally and express how sorry I am for what you and your family are going through. Let's hope everything gets better soon for everybody.

Regarding my post--- It was the term " Withdrawal " that I found excessive in relation to cruise vacations at this time

We all love to cruise and " dreaming " is great .

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

17 minutes ago, sandycruzr said:

Hey Bo,

Sandy

Absolutely Correct !!!!  A pleasure to learn from him what's acceptable and what is not on Social Media Forums. 

• Like 1