Attorney General Investigating Cruise Line

ccruzer123

The Miami New Times has an article titled "After Leaked Emails, Florida Attorney General Investigating Norwegian".  It deals with internal emails 

obtained from Norwegian Cruise Line directing salespeople to mislead customers about the risks of coronavirus to protect the company's bookings.

Since Regent is part of the Norwegian Line, I wonder if this will affect Regent?

az, 

Yes, I have heard of that too, though it is a much smaller problem for Regent than the cruise ban, and the problem all cruise lines will have in attracting customers when they can cruise again, and that the bail out program excludes major cruise lines. As I write this, I am listening to a news report about a HAL ship off the Miami FL coast that the US won’t let dock, even though there are four dead aboard, and a numbers who seem to have the virus. The major cruise lines (that are all incorporated in other countries and pay little income tax due to a loophole) are in big financial trouble. In the last 30 years, we have taken more than 30 cruises. We have no plans for another. We are very sad that cruise lines are in this mess.  We wish it were safe to cruise again, but it apparently is not.

Dolebludger:  

Unless there is a SECOND HAL ship involved in this ongoing mess--

The one I know about is Zaandam.  Currently stuck off the coast of Panama.  Uncertain if authorities will allow Canal transit for final docking on the East Coast.  

My brother and sister-in-law are on-board.  

Fortunately, in hindsight, our 03/14 "Splendor" cruise was canceled on the 13th  At that time, we were at Regent's designated San Diego hotel.  So, relatively easy to arrange next-day flight back to Seattle.  

GOARMY!

GoArmy - I suggest that what Dolebludger forgot to say in his last post was that we all have our fingers crossed for the continuing health and safety of your family. The latest news in the UK is that they are transferring some passengers to the HAL Rotterdam which will then sail though the canal en route to Florida. The fate of the Zandaam is less clear but a prolonged sail up to SAN Diego seems a possibility taking 14 days or more so that the 131 sick people currently on board are given a chance to recover. Tragically four people have already died.

Edited by Belfast Taxman

Based on the daily rising death numbers in Europe and the US I would be very surprised if the whole European season is not cancelled. There has been advice for those over 70 not to cruise for the foreseeable future. Whilst cruising is one of our favourite type of holiday I will not risk getting covid-19 for the sake of pleasure. I think it will be sometime before most countries will feel able to allow cruise ships to dock. Hence we will not consider cruising for sometime yet whatever the discounts are to try to persuade passengers. Keep safe.

All:

Really appreciate your support to our family at this critical time.  Some of you--we had hoped to meet earlier this month at San Diego.  But, again, had Splendor sailed on the 14th------

Anyway.

Sue and I remain, basically in home lockdown, at Redmond, WA.  My brother, also a retired Army Officer, keeps us updated via email as to Zaandam's current situation.  Panamanian authorities did not allow transit via Canal to Florida.  So--ship will continue north to West Coast USA waters.  Actually, two HA ships.  Numerous passengers are in the process of transferring from Zaandam to Rotterdam.    My brother and his wife, once-tested and "cleared", will probably be transferred.  Time will tell.  

For those interested, suggest visiting CC's HA Board.  The Thread (now on about page 28) is titled "Flu aboard Zaandam".  

Take care.  

GOARMY!

• Like 3

16 hours ago, GOARMY said:

Dolebludger:  

Unless there is a SECOND HAL ship involved in this ongoing mess--

The one I know about is Zaandam.  Currently stuck off the coast of Panama.  Uncertain if authorities will allow Canal transit for final docking on the East Coast.  

My brother and sister-in-law are on-board.  

Fortunately, in hindsight, our 03/14 "Splendor" cruise was canceled on the 13th  At that time, we were at Regent's designated San Diego hotel.  So, relatively easy to arrange next-day flight back to Seattle.  

GOARMY!

OMG, I didnt know about your family, been following the situation about this ship for days. Do you know if they're among those to be moved to the Rotterdam? Godspeed to your family members!

Editing to add just read your last post so no need to answer. Good luck to them!

Edited by cruiseluv

Got2Cruise:  

We are, now, literally in the same boat, as a nation.  Our 2nd son and his family (two young children) live in Brooklyn.  Hunkered-down in their Carroll Gardens apartment.   Mark is responsible for a eight-person Team which coordinates graphics for NBC News, '30 Rok. Of course,  'Rok is basically, shut-down.   So, all Team members, including our son, have established remote work stations at their homes, which are throughout the NYC area.   Fortunately, the infrastructure can support this effort.  

Regards,

GOARMY!

All:  

Quick update concerning my brother and his wife.  

They were off Zaandam--for the final timefinally--earlier this AM.  Final health screening check.  (Earlier one was yesterday PM in a secure area of the Terminal.)  Bus ride, in a recently sanitized vehicle, directly to the Airport tarmac.  Boarded a chartered flight to San Francisco.  That flight is currently en route.  From SF to SEATAC will be via Alaska Airlines later this PM.  All flights arranged by HAL.  

Expect them back our Redmond neighborhood shortly before Midnight, local time.

Take care. 

GOARMY!

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, GOARMY said:

All:  

They were off Zaandam--for the final timefinally--earlier this AM.  Final health screening check.  (Earlier one was yesterday PM in a secure area of the Terminal.)  Bus ride, in a recently sanitized vehicle, directly to the Airport tarmac.  Boarded a chartered flight to San Francisco.  That flight is currently en route.  From SF to SEATAC will be via Alaska Airlines later this PM.  All flights arranged by HAL.  

Take care. 

GOARMY!

Crazy.  Glad they're finally winging it home.

19 minutes ago, GOARMY said:

All:  

Take care. 

GOARMY!

Thanks for giving us this update.. I was thinking about your family while watching this on the news today. Glad they are in their way home.  Jean.

This is great news! I too was thinking of them this morning and so am delighted to hear all is well.

I can only imagine what they and your family have had to go through these last weeks. Just terrible.

All:

Update.  It ain't over yet. 

My brother and sister-in-law did depart Florida (4 hours late) on that charter fllght to SF.  Plan was to be transferred directly to an Alaska Air flight--direct to SEATAC.  Wife and I hoped to have them back here late last evening.  

NO.  It seems, once at Frisco, enough Alaska Air flight personnel felt "uncomfortable" enough that the flight was canceled.  Instead, HAL "guests" were sent to the Hyatt Hotel, overnight.  HAL scrambled to cobble together another Alaskan flight for this afternoon.  Itinerary:  Frisco to Portland; to Spokane; then to Seattle. 

This magical mystery tour of our Great Pacific Northwest is supposed to begin in about three hours; now, anticipated landing at SEATAC is around midnight.  

GEES!   

GOARMY!

• Like 1

All:  

My brother and his wife's Great Magical Mystery Tour of the Great Pacific Northwest (courtesy of Alaska Air, thank you very-much--NOT!) ended successfully late last night (Saturday).  They are o.k., physically, and back at their Redmond home.  While only a few miles from us--due to Stay at Home dictum by local authorities--we are left to exchange tel. calls this AM.   

Both praise the way Holland America staff on board Zaandam dealt with this awful situation.  Neither is of a mind to cruise again any-time soon.  Well, that is really not in the cards, anyway. 

As for Alaska Air:  Well--

GOARMY!

• Like 1

GOARMY

fingers uncrossed, thank goodness.

it is easy to criticise airlines, cruise lines etc. at the moment, and I wholly appreciate that I do not fully comprehend the experience with Alaska Air that your family had, but if you think about the thousands and thousands of people currently trapped far away from their homes, I suggest that all the travel companies are doing what they can.

i have never flown Alaska Air, have absolutely no connection with them, indeed I had never even heard of them before, but perhaps, in normal times, they run a very good service. These days, that is very difficult