Are Alaskan cruises out of Seattle cancelled for 2020?

Topdog52

The Seattle cruise port is closed "indefinitely".  

And Canada ports are closed until July 1st.  

Our May Bliss sailing still shows as active, but I can't fathom how that would work now.  We are expecting an official cancellation from NCL now.  Wish they would just hurry up so we could work on canceling air and hotel.

• Like 1

52 minutes ago, EleventyBangBang said:

The Seattle cruise port is closed "indefinitely".  

And Canada ports are closed until July 1st.  

Our May Bliss sailing still shows as active, but I can't fathom how that would work now.  We are expecting an official cancellation from NCL now.  Wish they would just hurry up so we could work on canceling air and hotel.

I already cancelled my air and hotel - we are cancelling our privately booked excursions now too - hoping then if someone flies up that at least the companies can try and book someone for our spots.  We are on the 5/16 Joy - currently still selling on NCL.  I am hoping they just cancel so we can get our money back

8 minutes ago, deliver42 said:

Why are they still selling Alaska cruises, especially on the 05/16 Joy. There is no way to get to Seattle other than driving, and both the Seattle ports and Canadian ports are closed at least until 07/30.

I can still book flights from anywhere in and out of Seattle for my May 17 cruise. Seattle is only closed to cruise ships "indefinitely" or until the "end of the public health crisis" which is subject to interpretation. And the same goes for Canada. They say they're closed until 7/1 but I'm guessing that NCL is hoping that the future of coronavirus is such that by May 1 Canada changes it's mind. Don't get me. wrong- I'm hoping that NCL cancels my May 17 cruise too. Good luck to us.

Everyday day that passes and this pandemic grows makes it become crystal clear there will not be any Alaska cruise season in 2020. There will not be any cruise season in 2020 going anywhere. Even after people have been separated for two to three weeks or more it’s not slowing down only getting worse.  Best case maybe a year to year and a half from now cruises will be able to start up. 

• Like 4

That is sad news.  We are booked on the Jewel to sail 7/26 southbound Seward to Vancouver. Did not cancel yet, going to wait and hope. If it all falls apart and the Alaska cruises and other travel in that area are a no go, we will reschedule for summer of 2021. Right now, stay home, stay cautious, stay smart, stay healthy everyone. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, kdmbluerzr said:

That is sad news.  We are booked on the Jewel to sail 7/26 southbound Seward to Vancouver. Did not cancel yet, going to wait and hope. If it all falls apart and the Alaska cruises and other travel in that area are a no go, we will reschedule for summer of 2021. Right now, stay home, stay cautious, stay smart, stay healthy everyone. 

Same here.   I have a May 2 that hasn’t canceled yet.  And there’s no way in hell that ones happening.    Just waiting on NCl so I can book something to replace it for next year.   I have a cruise outta Puerto Rico with RC in January that I’ll just add something for before or after that and make it a B2B.      Hope to hear something soon as flight prices are low now to PR.   For now anyway.  

and yeah I haven’t gone out at all hardly. Just to get food at grocery store. And did a pick up last night at a local pizza place that I go to every Friday night.  To help support the locals.  
But man they had a deal for buy one get one free.  Was like they gave me the pizza.    And they brought it to the car.  Lol.   I had no small cash so couldn’t tip them.  But I’ll take care of him when I see him again.   

stay safe.     

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Ptroxx said:

Same here.   I have a May 2 that hasn’t canceled yet.  And there’s no way in hell that ones happening.    Just waiting on NCl so I can book something to replace it for next year.   I have a cruise outta Puerto Rico with RC in January that I’ll just add something for before or after that and make it a B2B.      Hope to hear something soon as flight prices are low now to PR.   For now anyway.  

and yeah I haven’t gone out at all hardly. Just to get food at grocery store. And did a pick up last night at a local pizza place that I go to every Friday night.  To help support the locals.  
But man they had a deal for buy one get one free.  Was like they gave me the pizza.    And they brought it to the car.  Lol.   I had no small cash so couldn’t tip them.  But I’ll take care of him when I see him again.   

stay safe.     

Oh no doubt your May 2 Alaska won't happen.  Hoping our July 27 is far enough out we might have a chance.  We also have a Panama Canal 16 day next Feb. on the Bliss. Looking way forward to that one too. 

Good for you for supporting your locals. We live in a very remote area of Idaho, small town, we do the same. We have some good friends down there in Sonoma County, love wine country in Sonoma, some of my favorite wines come from those wineries. My son and his family live in the San Anselmo area.

Good luck to you and yours. Stay safe. Keep on Keeping on. 

9 minutes ago, kdmbluerzr said:

Oh no doubt your May 2 Alaska won't happen.  Hoping our July 27 is far enough out we might have a chance.  We also have a Panama Canal 16 day next Feb. on the Bliss. Looking way forward to that one too. 

Good for you for supporting your locals. We live in a very remote area of Idaho, small town, we do the same. We have some good friends down there in Sonoma County, love wine country in Sonoma, some of my favorite wines come from those wineries. My son and his family live in the San Anselmo area.

Good luck to you and yours. Stay safe. Keep on Keeping on. 

Small world.  I’m a UPS driver and San Anselmo use your be my area.   
stay safe.  

• Like 1

On 3/28/2020 at 11:56 PM, kdmbluerzr said:

Oh no doubt your May 2 Alaska won't happen.  Hoping our July 27 is far enough out we might have a chance. 

I'm sorry to say but the way things are going I think its extremely unlikely there will be any chance of your cruise going!! We had booked on the Bliss for 26th July and have taken the decision to move it to July 2021.

Two reasons - firstly, if it did go then I still think putting 4000 people in a confined space at this time still presents a risk in that if someone becomes infected we all get stuck on the ship!!

And second, I simply don't think it will be sailing - and so easier now to change and make plans for next year

'Someone'? I think I'll just wait until the 'someone' is a person authorized to make such a statement.

I am a 'glass half full' kind of guy and am hoping to still make my July Alaska cruise out of Seattle.

But, as a cautious kind of guy, I have also put a deposit on the same cruise for next July. That way if we still go this year I can cancel after the cruise. If not, I just use my FCC to pay for next years cruise.

5 hours ago, Markj said:

I'm sorry to say but the way things are going I think its extremely unlikely there will be any chance of your cruise going!! We had booked on the Bliss for 26th July and have taken the decision to move it to July 2021.

Two reasons - firstly, if it did go then I still think putting 4000 people in a confined space at this time still presents a risk in that if someone becomes infected we all get stuck on the ship!!

And second, I simply don't think it will be sailing - and so easier now to change and make plans for next year

You may very well be right.  Going to wait for a month or so and see what happens.  Make some final decisions then.  Good luck to you.  Stay safe. 

3 hours ago, Isabella Benjamin said:

Another potential problem with Alaska is they get a ton of seasonal workers in these cruise port towns.  Is anyone going to be going up there for potentially less than half a season?  How do they make plans when everything is up in the air?  It doesn't seem practical.  

Exactly. Even if Alaska ends the visitor quarantine and Canada re-opens the ports to cruise ships, we’re still missing the hundreds of summer workers who staff excursions, shops, and so forth. 

Royal Caribbean, Celebrity, and Carnival have officially cancelled Alaska cruises through July 1. Come on NCL, I want that 125% FCC now so I can book next year’s Alaska cruise!

On 3/28/2020 at 4:34 AM, deliver42 said:

Why are they still selling Alaska cruises, especially on the 05/16 Joy. There is no way to get to Seattle other than driving, and both the Seattle ports and Canadian ports are closed at least until 07/30.

I thought the Canadian ports were only officially closed until 7/1. We are scheduled to sail the middle of July to Alaska and are waiting to hear what Seattle and Canada both decide. 

On 4/3/2020 at 10:15 PM, Linsuesue said:

I thought the Canadian ports were only officially closed until 7/1. We are scheduled to sail the middle of July to Alaska and are waiting to hear what Seattle and Canada both decide. 

We have an August sailing...have not canceled - we are just going to wait and see..

• Like 1

We have a May 17th sailing. Just waiting on NCL to cancel. 

Given that Washington is under Shelter in Place until May 4th and the Port of Seattle has postponed cruises indefinitely,  I don't see cruises happening any time soon, nor should they.  

On 4/3/2020 at 8:15 PM, Linsuesue said:

The specific wording from the government announcement leaves the option of the closure extending beyond July 1st......

"As a response to COVID-19, the Government of Canada will defer the start of the cruise ship season in Canada, from April 2, 2020, to July 1, 2020, at the earliest. This deferral will apply to cruise ships capable of carrying more than 500 passengers and crew members."

https://www.canada.ca/en/transport-canada/news/2020/03/government-of-canada-announces-intention-to-defer-the-start-of-cruise-ship-season-in-canada-as-covid-19-response-measure.html

Edited by em-sk
  • Like 2