Will US ships sail in Europe? Opportunity for Costa?

dritan

Hi

As you can see from my signature, we have a Carnival Legend sailing in July.  Interesting developments in the last few days - Carnival are due to make an announcement on Monday about their approach  but all European cruises on their website have disappeared ( including mine).

Lots of rumours ( and it is just rumours at this stage) that they won't be sending the Legend over to the Med but keep it in Tampa.  

If that is the case, and other follow suit, then we could find that the only ships sailing the med this year ( if at all) will be Costa, MSC, P&O, Pullmantur and maybe a few others.  Basically only those that have their ships in the Med currently.

Could this be an opportunity for Costa and others?  Could there be a big uplift in demand and prices?

Just a little "what if" thread but will be interesting to see what the big US lines come out with in the next few weeks.

On 3/28/2020 at 4:32 AM, dritan said:

Hi

As you can see from my signature, we have a Carnival Legend sailing in July.  Interesting developments in the last few days - Carnival are due to make an announcement on Monday about their approach  but all European cruises on their website have disappeared ( including mine).

Lots of rumours ( and it is just rumours at this stage) that they won't be sending the Legend over to the Med but keep it in Tampa.  

If that is the case, and other follow suit, then we could find that the only ships sailing the med this year ( if at all) will be Costa, MSC, P&O, Pullmantur and maybe a few others.  Basically only those that have their ships in the Med currently.

Could this be an opportunity for Costa and others?  Could there be a big uplift in demand and prices?

Just a little "what if" thread but will be interesting to see what the big US lines come out with in the next few weeks.

Until COVID is gone how can any cruises happen?  You board and sail about but cannot dock at any port.  The recent saga of the Zaandam makes the impossibility of cruising clear for some months.  I cannot imagine people getting on a cruise ship with rampant disease probable and no possibility of a med evac.

I guess I'm talking about a scenario later in the year.  Around Sept/Oct which may be the earliest option.  At that time the only ships in Europe will be the ones I outlined.  

For example - Europe is in the eye of the storm but may well be out of it by mid summer ( a la China/South Korean).  Other nations such as USA may well still be impacted, so European lines may open cruises to certain nationalities.  But until Italy and Spain start to see a real downturn in new cases and deaths, even this is up in the air. #

• 2 months later...
On 3/28/2020 at 12:32 PM, dritan said:

Hi

Let's assume cruising will start in the Mediteranean in August, which I think should given the situation further improves. You will still have lot's of people not feeling comfortable going on a cruise, likely non Shengen countries incuding the US will not be able to travel to Europe so quickly which creates also less demand. Also, I don't think people who might still be willing to cruise will use this time to experiment around with a different cruiseline. Hence if someone is booked on a Princess Cruise for instane, I doubt he will now go on Costa because his cruise got cancelled, instead he will not cruise at all this time.