I have a Qestion. Do you have an answer?

Himself

OK, so I have no answer -- but rather, a follow-on question:

If the Alaska cruise season never actually materializes, what will happen to the 're-po' Pacific Coastal cruises, this fall? I'm particularly thinking about our late September Vancouver to SD sailing, on K-dam.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Himself said:

My question is Will we have an Alaska season and  if we do have one, when will it start?

It's not likely that an Alaskan season will materialize.  Even at the best of times, cruise ships are not exemplary places of good health.  While Donald Trump and other optimists are looking forward to Easter as a partial opening of our economy, health officials and scientists are less optimistic.  In an abundance of caution, I would hope that the Alaska season would be put on hold until 2021.

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, JeffElizabeth said:

Maybe Canada will revise their law? 

I wouldn’t bet on that happening 😉 especially with spread of the virus in the U.S.

Our Prime Minister and Canadians are taking this seriously and rightfully so.

• Like 10

55 minutes ago, Himself said:

I pwrsonaaly think the virus will go into hibernation as the warmer weather comes with spring.  I just hope HAL says something soon!

Buy a good book or two, find a good chair, you will not be cruising anytime soon 🙄

4 hours ago, Himself said:

My question is Will we have an Alaska season and  if we do have one, when will it start?

Cruises will not resume until the following happen:

#1 No covid19 ANYWHERE for a week or two

#2 Ports reopen

#3 Ships and crews are assembled.

So will we cruise Alaska?  Absolutely, just not this year.

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, Himself said:

Right now I am scheduled for the Westerdam in June.  I think that is a was.  I might try for July or even September.  

Westerdam is sailing from Vancouver, from what I can see.  Canadian ports are closed to all cruise ships carrying more than 500 people (pax and crew) until July 1.  As for whether there will be ANY Alaska season, my suspicion is that there will not be one for 2020.  If the virus disappears, there are still other things to consider -- selling cabins, acquiring adequate provisions for the ships, getting the ships to embarkation ports, getting crew to the ships, finding ports that will accept cruisers .... a lot of things would have to line up perfectly imho for there to be an Alaska cruise season this year.  I hope I am wrong.

6 hours ago, Himself said:

I pwrsonaaly think the virus will go into hibernation as the warmer weather comes with spring.  I just hope HAL says something soon!

If warmer weather slows it down, why is Australia and New Zealand suffering right along with other countries?

• Like 4

11 hours ago, wwcruisers said:

OK, so I have no answer -- but rather, a follow-on question:

If the Alaska cruise season never actually materializes, what will happen to the 're-po' Pacific Coastal cruises, this fall? I'm particularly thinking about our late September Vancouver to SD sailing, on K-dam.

My Vancouver accommodations for that cruise abruptly cancelled two days ago.😢

I have plane tickets (and thankfully good insurance) purchased before all this really flared up in North America. I’m not going to do any more planning until much later in the year when we have a better idea of what’s going on with travel.

13 hours ago, Himself said:

Covid-19 is not flu. It is not respectful of seasons.

The  cruise industry may be in for "stormy times ahead". There are some countries who may never allow them in their ports for a very long time, as the ships to non cruise addicts are regarded as giant incubators of disease.

Edited by erewhon
  • Like 1