Getting refund on unused FCD? (not FCC)

AryMay

Forgive me if this topic has been addressed already. I did a search, but am not finding the info.

We (my husband and I) each have two future cruise deposits that we purchased while on previous HAL cruises. Both for shorter cruises (@$100/each) and longer cruises (@$300/each) for a total of $800. I have looked over the certificates and know they are "supposed" to be refunded at the end of 4 years if not used. Is it possible to get a refund on these now? 

At the time we purchased the FCD's we fully intended to use them. Now...I'm not sure. 

Has anyone got a refund on unused FCD's before the 4 years are up? If so, how do I handle this?

Yes...I believe you just need to call HAL and ask for your money back on these. Easy Peasy.  Think long and hard on it before you cancel as they are so useful!  Times are hard right now but hopefully it will all turn around.  Good Luck and hope you decide to stay in the game and see you onboard some time 🙂

Very easy to do.  All you need to do is call HAL and request that they refund your FCDs and they will credit whatever form of payment you used.  I just cancelled $1,800 worth of them this week, as well as $1,000 worth from Seabourn.  Both said to expect it to take longer than normal (think many weeks vs. many days) since all refunds get processed through the same department so you can imagine how busy they are at the moment.  

Yes, they are nice for reduced deposits but they've really reduced the OBC benefit of using them which, at least for now, isn't worth it for them to hold our money.

That reduced deposit is really working for us this time, and there is another benefit.

We have a June 20th trip that we are still sitting on. The timing worked out for us, before we paid the final payment, they moved it to 60 days before. So right now we only have $200 FCD deposit at risk. And we were told that if we cancel, that deposit will go back as FCD, so won't have the limitations of the FCC they are issuing now.

On 3/28/2020 at 11:38 AM, zelker said:

Very easy to do.  All you need to do is call HAL and request that they refund your FCDs and they will credit whatever form of payment you used.  I just cancelled $1,800 worth of them this week, as well as $1,000 worth from Seabourn.  Both said to expect it to take longer than normal (think many weeks vs. many days) since all refunds get processed through the same department so you can imagine how busy they are at the moment.  

Yes, they are nice for reduced deposits but they've really reduced the OBC benefit of using them which, at least for now, isn't worth it for them to hold our money.

When did you purchase your FCD's?  I have some that were purchased before the benefits were reduced in Jan/20, and I was told that the OBC benefits that were in place at the time of purchase will stand.  So I'm keeping them.  My only concern is HAL's continued solvency.  

• Like 1

When we cancelled our mid-April cruise several weeks ago, the FCD was cancelled out and we received back $100 pp to our credit card (plus a bit over 50% of our payment).  If possible, I would rather have had it reissued, under the old terms, but I was told that since we were past final payment they could not do that.

Edited by DaveOKC

2 hours ago, wyobean said:

If we choose to cancel totally will those be refunded or put back on our account to be used later? If we choose to take a FCC will the deposit go back to a FCD?

We cancelled a cruise booked with a FCD and it was put back in our accounts as a FCD.  

I'm not sure how long it stays valid there, and what, if any, process there is to getting it refunded back to us.

3 hours ago, Shmoo here said:

We cancelled a cruise booked with a FCD and it was put back in our accounts as a FCD.  

I'm not sure how long it stays valid there, and what, if any, process there is to getting it refunded back to us.

When you cancel prior to final payment they do just reuse your FCD on a future cruise booking.  In my case it was after final payment, so different proceedure.

12 minutes ago, DaveOKC said:

When you cancel prior to final payment they do just reuse your FCD on a future cruise booking.  In my case it was after final payment, so different proceedure.

Could hazard a guess as to when it might expire?

We originally booked an April 2020 cruise while on a cruise (Mar 2019).  Then, we had to change our cruise (it was a Cuba cruise).  We transferred the reservation to an Oct 2020 cruise.  And that's the cruise we cancelled.