Any news from the Amsterdam?

mame42

9 minutes ago, mame42 said:

Just wondering how ship and crew are faring?

He responded to a question for two of his long-time GWY pax two days ago:

Dear Jan and Dick, so pleased you’re back safely. Thank you for your kind words, I have been wondering about you all. I will post soon, it’s just weird on here, surreal in fact. We’re keeping busy, however in ‘fuel-saving’ mode, lights dimmed, air conditioning decreased….all we can do to save every cent. We are 900 miles west of Fremantle ‘only’ 3,600 to go to Durban. What luggage? We’ve sold it all 🙂 ha ha!

Amsterdam still shows an 05 APR @ 0700 arrival at Durban, SA

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, rafinmd said:

Only word I've seen is on Captain Johathan's blog.  He's promised to update when there is real news.  I know QM2 is having difficulty getting fuel in Durban so he has a challenge on his hands.

http://captainjonathan.com/

Roy

Roy:

Thank you for Captain Mercer's blog.  I hope he doesn't run out of fuel.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Copper10-8 said:

Dear Jan and Dick, so pleased you’re back safely. Thank you for your kind words, I have been wondering about you all. I will post soon, it’s just weird on here, surreal in fact. We’re keeping busy, however in ‘fuel-saving’ mode, lights dimmed, air conditioning decreased….all we can do to save every cent. We are 900 miles west of Fremantle ‘only’ 3,600 to go to Durban. What luggage? We’ve sold it all 🙂 ha ha!

I hope they let him dock to refuel.

12 minutes ago, Copper10-8 said:

Thank you, Copper.

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, Copper10-8 said:

Thanks for posting this.  Nice to hear directly from the ship.  I can picture crew throwing luggage off the ship to decrease weight.  Selling it would be even better.  I am hoping they are welcomed in Durban for refueling and supplies.  It is indeed a final voyage Captain Jonathan will not be able to forget.  Cherie

Edited by cccole
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

13 hours ago, cccole said:

Thanks for posting this.  Nice to hear directly from the ship.  I can picture crew throwing luggage off the ship to decrease weight.  Selling it would be even better.  I am hoping they are welcomed in Durban for refueling and supplies.  It is indeed a final voyage Captain Jonathan will not be able to forget.  Cherie

I think Captain Johnathan needs a redo 😆 

• Like 2

18 hours ago, cccole said:

I can picture crew throwing luggage off the ship to decrease weight. 

Your comment reminded me of an old movie where John Wayne was the pilot of a crippled airliner going from Honolulu to San Francisco.  To conserve fuel in order to get to SFO, they were throwing as much as they could in the plane's cabin out a door.  (They made it!)  Cannot think of the movie's name, but I recall it ended with Mr. Wayne whistling the movie's theme song as he walked away from the plane.

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, rkacruiser said:

Your comment reminded me of an old movie where John Wayne was the pilot of a crippled airliner going from Honolulu to San Francisco.  To conserve fuel in order to get to SFO, they were throwing as much as they could in the plane's cabin out a door.  (They made it!)  Cannot think of the movie's name, but I recall it ended with Mr. Wayne whistling the movie's theme song as he walked away from the plane.

The High and the Mighty.

• Like 2

21 minutes ago, rkacruiser said:

Possibly this was what I was remembering.  I'm sure I saw that movie.  Cherie

2 hours ago, don731 said:

The High and the Mighty.

We both "remembered" at the same time.  It was an enjoyable movie.  Opening a plane's door to throw out the galley cabinets and that woman's Mink Coat (if I recall that correctly) along with much else now seems so unrealistic now.  But, I know more now than I did then.  Still, it was an enjoyable movie with a memorable theme song.  

24 minutes ago, rkacruiser said:

We both "remembered" at the same time.  It was an enjoyable movie.  Opening a plane's door to throw out the galley cabinets and that woman's Mink Coat (if I recall that correctly) along with much else now seems so unrealistic now.  But, I know more now than I did then.  Still, it was an enjoyable movie with a memorable theme song.  

An Ernest K. Gann classic!  The aviation part of the movie is actually fairly accurate (I’m retired airline flight dispatch). 😀

• Like 1

Nothing new from HAL.

Green arrow in red box is Amsterdam and looks to be less than 50nm out from Durban.

Green circle is MSC Orchestra and she's been sitting off Durban at .2 knots since I first looked yesterday.

The green arrow at the extreme left edge, way up and way out from Namibia, is QM2.

image.thumb.png.f45e5467aedf1576ada9550baec8dd40.png

• Like 1

41 minutes ago, rajkr74 said:

Just noticed Captain Jonathan of the Amsterdam just posted on his blog board.  It was dated March 29 and has a "strange" video he did walking around the "empty" ship.

Here is the link to his blog:

http://captainjonathan.com/and-on-the-8th-day-30th-march/

Thanks for the link.....interesting video.....and sure hope they are able to bunker and get home with no more problems.....!!!

Has anyone heard of....or anything about our Amsterdam passengers on the Pacific Princess....??  

Marine Traffic is still showing their next port as being in Honolulu on April 12th.......

• Like 1

2 hours ago, rajkr74 said:

Just noticed Captain Jonathan of the Amsterdam just posted on his blog board.  It was dated March 29 and has a "strange" video he did walking around the "empty" ship.

Here is the link to his blog:

http://captainjonathan.com/and-on-the-8th-day-30th-march/

Thanks for posting -- rather eerie video. Looks like the setting for the beginning of a horror movie, a la "The Shining" but on a cruise ship...

:classic_ohmy::classic_ohmy::classic_ohmy:

Bunkers would be ordered by Seattle after ship indicated amount required in metric tonnes & after office had indicated whether to fill or just take enough to get safely to next bunker port.

I think she has scrubbers & would take the old HSFO that is cheaper than the new LSFO.

• Like 1

Durban pilot boat is approaching Amsterdam at this time.

She is just another without the passengers now.

Most merchant ships are still operating normally & trade continues shifting the 95% of world freight. 

• Like 3