Any news from the Amsterdam?

mame42

44 minutes ago, Oceansaway17 said:

I would suggest you and the others open you luggage outdoors a few feet away from house. Use gloves and mask and put stuff out of suitcase in sun or garage and wait a couple of days.

I would lysol spray your suitcase and keep outside under cover for a few days.

Put NOTHING inside your home for 2 days and be careful washing etc. Good luck.

All of you please post phots of outside of suitcases so we can see condition and also if any notes put inside by border or security

very funny

• Haha 1

5 hours ago, Oceansaway17 said:

I would suggest you and the others open you luggage outdoors a few feet away from house. Use gloves and mask and put stuff out of suitcase in sun or garage and wait a couple of days.

I would lysol spray your suitcase and keep outside under cover for a few days.

Put NOTHING inside your home for 2 days and be careful washing etc. Good luck.

All of you please post phots of outside of suitcases so we can see condition and also if any notes put inside by border or security

I don't understand the obsession that there will be some sort of "plague" in our stuff when we get it back.  Why??  I'm not planning on doing anything like this.  At the most, stuff will be musty...at least mine should be "plague free" since everything is packed first inside a heavy contractor "trash" type bag.  Nothing will have gotten wet. 

That being said, it will be interesting to see the condition of our suitcases/bags/boxes.

• Like 3

I'm not sure that opening the luggage outside isn't a good idea, don't know what might grow out of dirty laundry that has been sealed up for six months. We may hear some horror stories from survivors.

Edited by whogo
  • Like 1

While I haven't read this thread in a while, the last couple of posts with suggestions that suitcases be opened outside is a pretty good one. 

My daughter attended college for four years in Savannah GA, a place where "palmetto bugs" were everywhere...and I mean everywhere.  (think a kinder southern roach).  Whatever was packed up and brought home every spring was quarantined/isolated.  We'd open suitcases in the driveway, dump all the clothing into plastic bags and seal them up for three days with as little air as possible inside.  Then the bags were opened outside, clothing shaken vigorously, and immediately into the laundry.  Boxes of other personal belongings were opened outside and inspected carefully before anything was moved inside.

I would put the odds very high that based on their journey, your suitcases have "travelers", and potentially larvae/eggs that might cause problems once released to your home.

Edited by msmayor
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, msmayor said:

While I haven't read this thread in a while, the last couple of posts with suggestions that suitcases be opened outside is a pretty good one. 

My daughter attended college for four years in Savannah GA, a place where "palmetto bugs" were everywhere...and I mean everywhere.  (think a kinder southern roach).  Whatever was packed up and brought home every spring was quarantined/isolated.  We'd open suitcases in the driveway, dump all the clothing into plastic bags and seal them up for three days with as little air as possible inside.  

I would put the odds very high that based on their journey, your suitcases have "travelers", and potentially larvae/eggs that might cause problems once released to your home.

Thank you for support of my reply.

BTW, I had family in Savannah and I know.

ALSO, back in 1977 I took a cruise that stopped in Bahamas and had bought a wicker basket. Needless to say I got home and within a week it had small gross bugs coming out of seams. As a teenager I was mad and have never forgotten.

Heck even before virus when I returned from flying, I unpacked my suitcase and lysol inside and especially outside.

This pandemic has made us all think about germs more. Toodles

1 hour ago, msmayor said:

My daughter attended college for four years in Savannah GA, a place where "palmetto bugs" were everywhere...and I mean everywhere.  (think a kinder southern roach).  Whatever was packed up and brought home every spring was quarantined/isolated.  We'd open suitcases in the driveway, dump all the clothing into plastic bags and seal them up for three days with as little air as possible inside.  Then the bags were opened outside, clothing shaken vigorously, and immediately into the laundry.  Boxes of other personal belongings were opened outside and inspected carefully before anything was moved inside.

Thank you.  As one who has shipped belongings transpacifc by freight in the past, I concur.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, mame42 said:

Thank you.  As one who has shipped belongings transpacifc by freight in the past, I concur.

i wonder if holland america's able director crick has anything to say concerning this subject.....if it really is a subject......

16 minutes ago, Gloria sunrise said:

Has anyone tried to contact US Customs in Pt. Everglades?

Luggage was off-loaded at the container port in Miami and taken to a HAL warehouse (in Homestead I read somewhere) for coordination with US Customs and FedEx/DSL. I doubt the Port Everglades Customs personnel have much to do with it.

24 minutes ago, Gail & Marty sailing away said:

Are you sure it is Homestead??? And a Holland America warehouse??

....and I had read somewhere that it was Miramar, which is in the Ft. Lauderdale area.  Who knows where it is but it's crazy tht they can't get us SOME kind of info!

37 minutes ago, cruzingnut said:

....and I had read somewhere that it was Miramar, which is in the Ft. Lauderdale area.  Who knows where it is but it's crazy tht they can't get us SOME kind of info!

I tried to add this to my post but it was too late as the "edit" option had expired.  Out of curiosity, I went and found Miramar on the map and it's not a large area.  I went to satellite view and found one small area where there is a commercial section and found a large FedEx office and an even larger warehouse nearby with shipping containers at it.   I would bet that this is where our luggage went to.  It just looks too "convenient", don't you think?

Anyone brave enough to call them?  I'm kinda too chicken...  🐓

Screen Shot 2020-09-21 at 1.54.56 PM.png

Edited by cruzingnut

41 minutes ago, cruzingnut said:

That presumes that someone from HAL actually knows or cares.  I think HAL and its employees have bigger worries than our belongings, regardless of how important they are to us.

10 minutes ago, mame42 said:

That presumes that someone from HAL actually knows or cares.  I think HAL and its employees have bigger worries than our belongings, regardless of how important they are to us.

I completely understand the total picture and would never belittle the bigger worries for HAL but, SOMEone has to be having something to do with the luggage situation.  There are too many of us for them to totally ignore that situation.  

Edited by cruzingnut
  • Like 3

2 hours ago, cruzingnut said:

I completely understand the total picture and would never belittle the bigger worries for HAL but, SOMEone has to be having something to do with the luggage situation.  There are too many of us for them to totally ignore that situation.  

I have no involvement with the situation, but I agree with your thinking.  Someone(s) in Seattle ought to be concerned for PR purposes, if not for potential legal reasons.  

2 hours ago, cruzingnut said:

I tried to add this to my post but it was too late as the "edit" option had expired. 

Not to burst your bubble of convenience  🙂   ...       but place with shipping containers on their dock is actually Coaster, a furniture retailer.  (https://www.coasterfurniture.com/)        Scott. 

image.png.342fbdc62d411bf465508b62570b3f17.png

3 hours ago, YXU AC*SE said:

Not to burst your bubble of convenience  🙂   ...       but place with shipping containers on their dock is actually Coaster, a furniture retailer.  (https://www.coasterfurniture.com/)        Scott. 

image.png.342fbdc62d411bf465508b62570b3f17.png

Aw, man!!!!  Yep, you burst my bubble, lol!  Oh well.  Thanks for the info though! 

• Haha 1