Any news from the Amsterdam?

mame42

On 9/30/2020 at 7:01 AM, cruzingnut said:

Yes, by having it delivered and living in a condo it will be brought to our door.  No having to load and drag it around, never mind I'm not sure it would all even fit in the car.

Just found out luggage is not being delivered today after all. Fed Ex says HAL has not released the luggage to them yet.  Only shipping tracking labels so far.   Very disappointed.  So expect it will be another week at least for us.

On 9/27/2020 at 7:04 AM, gadabout60 said:

Thanks for the replies.

I had forgotten that HAL charged for the transfer to Perth airport - that was appalling PR

Lots to think about

we left the ship on the 22nd and transferred to the hotel. On the 23rd a bus transferred about seven to Perth airport we were not charged. Some took a taxi and pd their fee. They may have gotten money back.

20 hours ago, michaelfl said:

no info from hal, no reply to my emails, no news from fedex, no tracking number....i am getting a bit worried.......

I'm starting to think that HAL is having a cash flow problem and trying to o figure out how to pay FedEx to ship our luggage

I was just told by Guest Relations that some of the Amsterdam’s luggage was picked up yesterday by FedEx, but they didn’t pick it all up.  Passengers whose luggage was picked up should have received an email, yesterday.

Email address for the luggage department handling the Amsterdam’s luggage.

luggage_shipping@hollandamerica.com

holland america luggage shipping have just repled to my various inquiries "...than you for submitting your itemized list to the luggage shipping inbox. as you know, we are actively working with government authorities....." and so on.... blah blah blah. and that i should please be patient.......

i got this email a few months ago after i had submitted the detailed list, and thats no reply to my various recent emails.

something is wrong, very wrong. may be they lost the luggage and dont know what to do or what to say.....

Edited by michaelfl
correction

4 hours ago, prescottbob said:

FedEx site has revised  the departure and delivery dates to PENDING.

Encouraging development, no?

Be well.

Bob

Thankfully not involved, but much of this makes no sense.

Why would FedEx issue tracking numbers if those numbers were not attached to the specific items?

Of what advantage to whom for such luggage being stored by whom when FedEx says that the departure date for such is "pending"?  If the luggage is, indeed, being stored, somewhere--out there--who is paying for such storage?  

It seems to me that it's time for some serious "rattling of chains" to get someone's attention.  But, whom?  Orlando is history.  New President at HAL; does he care?  CCL corporate has "bigger fish to fry" than one's luggage, I suspect.  Mariner Society's Gerald?  Is he still employed?  

Time to make an appointment with your attorney?  And, I am not sure what she/he could accomplish in order for those affected to get their actual luggage.  But, it might serve as a "shot across the bow" that some lawsuits may be forthcoming if this issue does not get resolved to the satisfaction of the attorneys' clients.  

Edited by rkacruiser

7 hours ago, socalcruisers2 said:

I was just told by Guest Relations that some of the Amsterdam’s luggage was picked up yesterday by FedEx, but they didn’t pick it all up.  Passengers whose luggage was picked up should have received an email, yesterday.

Email address for the luggage department handling the Amsterdam’s luggage.

luggage_shipping@hollandamerica.com

I have not heard of anyone receiving anything.  If what you were told was true someone either here or in our Facebook group would have reported getting an email.

I received an email from the luggage department stating that due to the large volume FedEx continues to prepare labels and pick up luggage throughout the week.  You should continue to check your tracking numbers for updates.  In order to give you better access on tracking, you will be listed as shipper.

Good Luck All!

8 hours ago, socalcruisers2 said:

I received an email from the luggage department stating that due to the large volume FedEx continues to prepare labels and pick up luggage throughout the week.  You should continue to check your tracking numbers for updates.  In order to give you better access on tracking, you will be listed as shipper.

Good Luck All!

i got the same email. at least i know my luggage is not lost. we have waited 6 1/2 months, i guess we can now wait a little longer...lol

4 minutes ago, michaelfl said:

i got the same email. at least i know my luggage is not lost. we have waited 6 1/2 months, i guess we can now wait a little longer...lol

Why are emails being sent to some and not to others?? I have heard nothing other than an email with tracking numbers. Very disappointed on communication from HAL and FEDEX. 

10 hours ago, rkacruiser said:

Thankfully not involved, but much of this makes no sense.

Why would FedEx issue tracking numbers if those numbers were not attached to the specific items?

Of what advantage to whom for such luggage being stored by whom when FedEx says that the departure date for such is "pending"?  If the luggage is, indeed, being stored, somewhere--out there--who is paying for such storage?  

It seems to me that it's time for some serious "rattling of chains" to get someone's attention.  But, whom?  Orlando is history.  New President at HAL; does he care?  CCL corporate has "bigger fish to fry" than one's luggage, I suspect.  Mariner Society's Gerald?  Is he still employed?  

Time to make an appointment with your attorney?  And, I am not sure what she/he could accomplish in order for those affected to get their actual luggage.  But, it might serve as a "shot across the bow" that some lawsuits may be forthcoming if this issue does not get resolved to the satisfaction of the attorneys' clients.  

HAL creates/prints the FedEx shipping labels on a device provided by FedEx (the same for any business who routinely ships via FedEx). The device is connected to the FedEx system via the internet and the tracking number is assigned by the FedEx system at the time it's printed. The shipper (HAL) then has to affix the labels to thousands on pieces of luggage..... this takes time. Unfortunately, the FedEx system assumes they will be picking up the item for which a label has been printed the same day or next day and can easily determine the destination arrival date, and assigns that date to the tracking number. If FedEx hasn't received the item by this date, their system automatically changes the arrival date in their system to "pending". (Meaning pending pickup.)

The luggage is being stored in a HAL warehouse until picked up by FedEx. Given the number of pieces, I suspect it will take FedEx multiple trips to transfer the luggage from the HAL warehouse to their own distribution center. I believe all shipments get shipped via FedEx's ground service (not by air). Remember, were talking several thousand suitcases/boxes.

No.... frivolous lawsuits is the last thing you should be suggesting! After waiting 6+ months, another week or two cause that much more stress.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Lido - Lanai said:

HAL creates/prints the FedEx shipping labels on a device provided by FedEx (the same for any business who routinely ships via FedEx). The device is connected to the FedEx system via the internet and the tracking number is assigned by the FedEx system at the time it's printed. The shipper (HAL) then has to affix the labels to thousands on pieces of luggage..... this takes time. Unfortunately, the FedEx system assumes they will be picking up the item for which a label has been printed the same day or next day and can easily determine the destination arrival date, and assigns that date to the tracking number. If FedEx hasn't received the item by this date, their system automatically changes the arrival date in their system to "pending". (Meaning pending pickup.)

The luggage is being stored in a HAL warehouse until picked up by FedEx. Given the number of pieces, I suspect it will take FedEx multiple trips to transfer the luggage from the HAL warehouse to their own distribution center. I believe all shipments get shipped via FedEx's ground service (not by air). Remember, were talking several thousand suitcases/boxes.

No.... frivolous lawsuits is the last thing you should be suggesting! After waiting 6+ months, another week or two cause that much more stress.

@Lido - Lanai  This is a GREAT explanation for the problem!  I'd love to post this on the FB group for the cruise as there has been "lots" of discussion about this on there.  This should calm people down.  Please let me know; I would never do it without your permission.

Linda R.

3 hours ago, Lido - Lanai said:

Well put. On top of this, the current problems with the postal system has caused FedEx to be handling a daily flood of items that would normally go by mail. Our luggage is entering a system that is already strained beyond normal capacity. Diverting additional resources to deal with our luggage won’t be possible, so this will take time.

13 hours ago, KirkNC said:

It’s ridiculous, people who picked up there luggage did so eight days ago and ours hasn’t even shipped.  I knew we should have driven to Florida and picked ours up.  

we live in florida and would have certainly picked up our bags from fedex or hal in fll.....but we are stuck in germany since our return from perth.......

9 hours ago, Lido - Lanai said:

No.... frivolous lawsuits is the last thing you should be suggesting!

I appreciate your informative post about how FedEx works.  But, I wonder:  how do you know so?  

20 hours ago, rkacruiser said:

If you read what I posted closely, I am not saying that "frivolous lawsuits" are filed, but that such may be filed.  I made this comment in connection with other comments in my post about "rattling some chains" and "shots across the bow" with the attempt of attracting the attention of those further up in the "corporate food chain" regarding the luggage problem.  What I posted was only my attempt to help those of you waiting with the patience of Job on your luggage.  

People can sign up for the free FedEx delivery manager, they can tell when the label is created, when it is picked up and when it is scheduled. You can also request text messages for status or emails direct from FedEx once there is a label.

FedEx delivery Manager signup link

https://www.fedex.com/fdmenrollment/?signup=true

A-

20 hours ago, rkacruiser said:

Time to make an appointment with your attorney? 

In some companies once you mention an attorney your complaint goes to the legal department and the customer service reps no longer deal with you.

27 minutes ago, SusieKIslandGirl said:

Many of us in the Pacific NW are having trouble with Fed Ex deliveries due to a lack of drivers. We get a message saying the package will be delivered because it has been loaded onto a truck. But there it sits-no driver-so the cycle repeats the next day. A bit frustrating............

Same here in Gulf south, plus problems with Post Office.  Drivers apparently scanning packages as delivered before actual delivery, which may or may not happen due to traffic, shift competion, etc.