Queen Victoria current location

Solent Richard

Queen Victoria just passing Cowes on her way to  'lay-up' for the duration of the current crisis.

958565247_QueenVictoria229March2020.jpg.0ae66b4b3fb31f543abeb07b77ea3263.jpg

Are you still onboard Bell Boy?

1988699057_QueenVictoria329March2020copyright.jpg.c5c6ccb3bf48862f3c333449e2ee6917.jpg

I'll wager you are so pleased you made it for that amazing cruise around South America.

1 hour ago, Solent Richard said:

Queen Victoria just passing Cowes on her way to  'lay-up' for the duration of the current crisis.

958565247_QueenVictoria229March2020.jpg.0ae66b4b3fb31f543abeb07b77ea3263.jpg

Are you still onboard Bell Boy?

1988699057_QueenVictoria329March2020copyright.jpg.c5c6ccb3bf48862f3c333449e2ee6917.jpg

I'll wager you are so pleased you made it for that amazing cruise around South America.

Yes, I just looked out the window and was surprised to see a big cruise ship out to sea - the first I have seen for ages.  It’s the QV off to Portland.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Ray66 said:

She's heading back to Southampton according to Marine Traffic.

You are right - she's just gone past again, the other way.  Maybe Portland can't cope, or a booked space at SOU became free because some other ship cant return?

11 minutes ago, exlondoner said:

Ventura has done almost exactly the same thing. They both sailed off to the West yesterday, and are back in Southampton today.

Maybe QM2 isn't coming back at all, or at least not for a while, so the berth is free?

On 3/31/2020 at 9:02 PM, bluemarble said:

The Southampton VTS website lists QV's next scheduled departure as a somewhat non-specific "03-Apr-2020 PM" for what they are euphemistically calling a "Channel Cruise".

Looks like that is what is happening now looking at Marine Traffic. Due back on the 5th April.

The Southampton VTS Planned Movements page is now listing QV departing 10-Apr-2020 07:30 with destination "Portland". So, that may be when she will be heading to lay-up. However, the Cruise Ship Schedule page is showing her back on 12-Apr-2020 at "Western Docks" with arrival and departure time "TBA", so it's hard to know for sure at this point.

QV is no longer on the Southampton VTS cruise schedule page for 12 April. And there are no further planned movements shown for QV beyond the 10 April departure to Portland which is now listed as 9:00. So, it's looking like 10 April at 9:00 is indeed when she's planning to depart Southampton for lay-up.

Edited by bluemarble

Guest SilverHengroen

Southampton should have room for at least 7 large passenger ships all at once, given a previous P&O event:

https://www.dailyecho.co.uk/news/9794968.southampton-sees-seven-po-cruise-ships-come-sailing-in-for-grand-event/

With 4 currently alongside, Arcadia and Queen Mary 2 due to join them, there should still be sufficient berths for Queen Victoria to remain. Or is there another reason for keeping the port clear of too many ships (Air quality? I heard the port is planning to add shore power facilities but don't know if they are in place yet?). 

As an aside, what on Earth is Allure of the Seas doing circling about near the Bristol Channel? Cheaper to leave her floating at sea than to keep her moored?

P&O have got a much bigger ship now - Britannia -and no longer have the small Adonia.  Really there's only room for 5 ships in the four cruise ship terminals there.

Edited by Ray66

Guest SilverHengroen

I'm not so sure about that, the four ships along the (7,300+ foot long) City cruise terminal dockside are Ventura or Azura (956'), Arcadia (951'), any two of Oceana, Aurora or Oriana (all between 850' and 890') - so there should be easily enough room for any four or even five ships alongside there. Britannia is currently occupying the Ocean cruise terminal, and Queen Mary 2 will be at the QEII terminal. As they aren't actively disembarking or embarking passengers, no need for them to be directly adjacent to any cruise terminal. The only limit I can see is blocking port space needed for other uses, but the container shipping area is much further up river so that shouldn't interfere. 

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-hampshire-18621904

Edited by SilverHengroen

1 hour ago, SilverHengroen said:

... The only limit I can see is blocking port space needed for other uses ...

Not an expert by any means, but I think that could well be the issue. In the past, to accommodate seven cruise ships on the same day, they've used berth 40/41 next to the QE II terminal and berths on either side of the Mayflower terminal. On the occasions I've been in Southampton, I've often seen those berths being used for merchant ships, particularly RORO car carriers in berth 40/41 by the QE II terminal and in berth 104 between the City and Mayflower terminals. Just guessing that it might put a crimp in Southampton's port capacity to have all those berths tied up with cruise ships on indefinite lay-up.

Edited by bluemarble

When I look at the Southampton VTS information, it seems to becoming less clear which ships will be laying up in Southampton for the long term. The cruise schedule page now only shows two ships scheduled to be in Southampton through May 15th. Those are Azura at the QEII terminal and Britannia at the Ocean terminal (both are there currently).

The schedule for QM2 now shows her at the City terminal, but only from April 15th to April 21st. Previous schedules had QM2 in Southampton until May 15th. Now they don't show her back in Southampton after April 21st until her next not-yet canceled voyage on May 20th. Makes me wonder now what the long term plans are for QM2's lay-up.

But then the schedule also has MSC Poesia at the City terminal on April 17th (while QM2 is scheduled to be there) and it shows other situations where two ships are at the same terminal on the same day. So, I suppose this is all still a work in progress.

Well, this is getting interesting. I just noticed QV's destination on AIS has changed to "GB SOU" (Southampton). And the Southampton VTS website is now showing QV is scheduled to arrive back at berth 44 on 11-Apr-20 at 14:30. Berth 44 is directly across from the Ocean Terminal which means she would be docked next to Britannia. The schedule has her staying there until 17-April-20. Let's see what happens tomorrow as plans seem to be changing often now.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, bluemarble said:

Well, this is getting interesting. I just noticed QV's destination on AIS has changed to "GB SOU" (Southampton). And the Southampton VTS website is now showing QV is scheduled to arrive back at berth 44 on 11-Apr-20 at 14:30. Berth 44 is directly across from the Ocean Terminal which means she would be docked next to Britannia. The schedule has her staying there until 17-April-20. Let's see what happens tomorrow as plans seem to be changing often now.

ETA now changed to 11.15. 

Gorgeous morning out there so we may get a clearer view later.

Edited by Solent Richard

On 4/8/2020 at 7:12 PM, SilverHengroen said:

Southampton should have room for at least 7 large passenger ships all at once, given a previous P&O event:

https://www.dailyecho.co.uk/news/9794968.southampton-sees-seven-po-cruise-ships-come-sailing-in-for-grand-event/

With 4 currently alongside, Arcadia and Queen Mary 2 due to join them, there should still be sufficient berths for Queen Victoria to remain. Or is there another reason for keeping the port clear of too many ships (Air quality? I heard the port is planning to add shore power facilities but don't know if they are in place yet?). 

As an aside, what on Earth is Allure of the Seas doing circling about near the Bristol Channel? Cheaper to leave her floating at sea than to keep her moored?

All the ships are having to go out to sea frequently to discharge grey water (baths, showers, sinks etc) which they cannot do in or around a port.

P&O's Arcadia isn't staying at Southampton.   She's leaving again on the 14th to join her sisters Aurora and Oceana in Dover.

Not all cruise ships will be at lay up in a port for a variety of reasons - some just don't fit in, and there's the cost (there's quite a significant daily charge for any ship to be laying up in a port, empty or otherwise, which is often based on tonnage, and these ships aren't currently earning any money).    I have Fred Olsen's four ships outside my window at anchorage until at least the end of May in Scotland.