Best Viking booking deal to wait for

clojacks

1 hour ago, clojacks said:

I’m seeing multiple opinions on whether FCV’s can be used on an existing booking or not. I would like to book a B2B Australia/New Zealand cruise for 2022 while I can still get the same cabin for both segments, but I’m in hopes that I could use an FCV that I probably will get from a cruise later this summer that I suspect will get cancelled. Anybody in here have an answer from Viking that they feel is reasonably certain?

I had a cruise booked for 3/23, so when the 3/2 offer was made to cancel for 100% voucher, I called my Viking agent as the 3/2 offer email stated “any Viking product”. I arranged to transfer the credit plus SBC to an existing booking in December. He Got management approval to transfer the SBC, then he wrote everything down in my file and told me to get back to him when I received the vouchers. Got the vouchers Saturday and noticed the word “new” preceded “Viking”. But when I spoke to him earlier this week, everything was changed to exactly what we discussed last month. I use the same  Viking agent for all cruises, so I only interfaced with one person.

I strongly suggest you write down all potential scenarios and then contact whoever you booked with. My understanding is the 125% vouchers must be for new bookings, but you need to negotiate this with your booking person.

53 minutes ago, Squawkman said:

I had a cruise booked for 3/23, so when the 3/2 offer was made to cancel for 100% voucher, I called my Viking agent as the 3/2 offer email stated “any Viking product”. I arranged to transfer the credit plus SBC to an existing booking in December. He Got management approval to transfer the SBC, then he wrote everything down in my file and told me to get back to him when I received the vouchers. Got the vouchers Saturday and noticed the word “new” preceded “Viking”. But when I spoke to him earlier this week, everything was changed to exactly what we discussed last month. I use the same  Viking agent for all cruises, so I only interfaced with one person.

I strongly suggest you write down all potential scenarios and then contact whoever you booked with. My understanding is the 125% vouchers must be for new bookings, but you need to negotiate this with your booking person.

When I asked about things we discussed being set in stone the guy said "this call is recorded."

On 3/30/2020 at 7:40 PM, CCWineLover said:

Thanks!

Ours is Into Midnight Sun, June sailing London to Bergen PV3.

2020 - $7599

2021 - $8999      +$1400 per person increase

CC, why not call them and discuss this with them directly. We've just had our May Baltic cruise cancelled and I spoke with them today in the UK office. I have just paid exactly the same price to book in 2021. They matched a double returners discount that we were offered last year too.

London have been utterly brilliant, they are so switched on and really helpful, see what the US office can do for you.

Good luck!

4 hours ago, DGHOC said:

CC, why not call them and discuss this with them directly. We've just had our May Baltic cruise cancelled and I spoke with them today in the UK office. I have just paid exactly the same price to book in 2021. They matched a double returners discount that we were offered last year too.

London have been utterly brilliant, they are so switched on and really helpful, see what the US office can do for you.

Good luck!

Thanks, but no luck!  We are even Viking regulars by now with 4 cruises done and 4 more on the books (at least for now).

5 hours ago, Squawkman said:

You may be correct, Squawkman.  Our Travel Agent explained to us that at one point initially Viking was giving 100 % vouchers, which could indeed be used for existing bookings or new bookings.  However, when they went to 125 % vouchers, those were explicitly for new bookings only.   I still wonder if a good TA however, might "negotiate" with Viking and "persuade" them to make an exception.   It appears that at least some CruiseCritic members have had some success at this "exception" processing.  Not really how I like doing business though.  Makes it feel like buying a car.

CC is there a reason that many folk in the US use travel agents to book their cruises? Is there a benefit to doing so as opposed to going directly to Viking? I suspect it may be different here, though I'm no expert!

5 hours ago, DGHOC said:

CC is there a reason that many folk in the US use travel agents to book their cruises? Is there a benefit to doing so as opposed to going directly to Viking? I suspect it may be different here, though I'm no expert!

Some agents provide on board credit to the maximum Viking allows whereas others provide some or none of this kickback from the agents commission.   Ours typically covers the daily gratuity charge with enough left over to cover any cocktails we purchase. 

• Like 1

Best deal for 2021 will pop up somewhere during summer. I expect these deals to be available for booking very soon. In any case, the best thing to do at the moment is to monitor both the market and the news. There might be a good deal on the market, but some bad news on TV.. or the other way around. In order to find the best cruise available, these two have to match. Good news and good deal =D ... unless you want to lose your money and time of cource. As far as Viking goes, I havent heard anything about giving good deals to its passangers lately. Maybe I am wrong? 

18 minutes ago, Clay Clayton said:

Some agents provide on board credit to the maximum Viking allows whereas others provide some or none of this kickback from the agents commission.   Ours typically covers the daily gratuity charge with enough left over to cover any cocktails we purchase. 

Wouldn't run several hundred dollars? Is there a thread here that explains/discusses OBC?

5 hours ago, DGHOC said:

From my position, we are looking at a B2B in Australia in 2022, and the online TA we use in New Hampshire was offering substantial OBC's. I think for the 30 days, ( a 16 and a 14) it was $1000 for the long one and $600 the shorter one. The river cruise I currently have on the books was booked with Viking directly, and he recommended we transfer it to our regular TA to take advantage of any extra's they were offering. Of course, when you transfer the booking, you can still communicate with Viking and ask questions, but any changes have to be made through your TA.

• Like 2

14 minutes ago, Roger88 said:

Best deal for 2021 will pop up somewhere during summer. I expect these deals to be available for booking very soon. In any case, the best thing to do at the moment is to monitor both the market and the news. There might be a good deal on the market, but some bad news on TV.. or the other way around. In order to find the best cruise available, these two have to match. Good news and good deal =D ... unless you want to lose your money and time of cource. As far as Viking goes, I havent heard anything about giving good deals to its passangers lately. Maybe I am wrong? 

We got a "Double Past Guest Discount" card in the mail yesterday.

1 minute ago, duquephart said:

Wouldn't run several hundred dollars? Is there a thread here that explains/discusses OBC?

I am sure there is somewhere but it’s my understanding (and what we have experienced) that Viking allows up to $300 per person on cruises of 14 nights (it may be less for 7 night cruises?) and $500 per person for cruises over that length. 

We have always used the $600 to pay gratuities and had $180 left over which is more than enough for us to have for cocktails-especially since Viking treats you like an adult and let’s you bring on your own liquor. 

4 minutes ago, Clay Clayton said:

I am sure there is somewhere but it’s my understanding (and what we have experienced) that Viking allows up to $300 per person on cruises of 14 nights (it may be less for 7 night cruises?) and $500 per person for cruises over that length. 

We have always used the $600 to pay gratuities and had $180 left over which is more than enough for us to have for cocktails-especially since Viking treats you like an adult and let’s you bring on your own liquor. 

**** see my post a couple above for our TA's offer of OBC.

I should add that is per cabin, not per person.

Edited by clojacks

3 minutes ago, Clay Clayton said:

When I asked about OBC upon re-booking the guy said Viking has nothing to do with it - totally up to TA. Now I hear Viking sets limits. Is TA paying you OBC out of their pocket/commission? Is there that much margin available?

5 minutes ago, duquephart said:

When I asked about OBC upon re-booking the guy said Viking has nothing to do with it - totally up to TA. Now I hear Viking sets limits. Is TA paying you OBC out of their pocket/commission? Is there that much margin available?

My TA lists the OBC amounts available right in their ad, but I have no idea where it comes from. 

3 minutes ago, duquephart said:

I'm going to have to go looking for one of those $600 TAs.

Google this.... ( I hope I'm not violating any rules since I didn't them....)

new hampshire based cruise company

On 4/3/2020 at 10:56 AM, duquephart said:

That is my presumption. 

3 hours ago, duquephart said:

Sounds to me like a lot of margin floating around. Any thoughts on why Viking or the TA would be so generous?

My TA changes their online offerings every week (usually) and today they are showing the same Viking OBC offers....

Up to $1000 Shipboard Credit from XXXXXX
per double occupancy cabin based on # nights on ship
(1 - 7 nts $300 per cabin; 8 - 14 nts $600 per cabin; 15+ nts $1000 per cabin).

And I chatted with Viking online last night to see what changes may have occurred in their newest promo (APR) versus last months (MAR). THey were absolutely identical. I know someone said " I have to get their emails, but so far, I'm not seeing any difference between their Website, mailed Brochure, or email offers....NONE. In fact they don't even hardly change from month to month. My TA seems to have a much sweeter pot than Viking does.... I guess I'm not sure why anyone would keep their booking with Viking when they can book with them, and then transfer the booking to a TA with better offers??

Edited by clojacks
  • Like 1

Clojacks

i agree with you but many believe their direct relationship is more worthwhile.  Sorta like my Gramdfather would only drive Plymouths!  Thank goodness he died before Chrysler quit making them!

Duquephart

As with all things, I am sure it is to their financial advantage to do so. Viking must be getting good results from the TAs and the TAs must believe it increases their bottom line.  I know that my agent does a great deal or business with Viking, Oceana, etc.  When I booked a Celebrity cruise she wasn’t able to provide as good a deal as I could get from another travel agent.  As always, it pays to shop around.