Whats happening? SB refunds and payments Covid19

zimflyer

We're not cancelling our October cruise just yet even though October will be too soon to consider cruising. We're waiting to see what happens as, being UK bookers, the best we can get at the moment is FCC equivalent to our deposit. However, I thought I might as well cancel our pre-booked shore excursions to get in line for the refunds. The confirmation emails confirm they are now quoting 60 days for these refunds to be processed.

4 hours ago, TRIPACIAN said:

This is good news for Carnival!   I don’t think they would be investing in a company that was going into bankruptcy.  

https://business.financialpost.com/investing/saudi-arabia-has-bought-8-stake-in-worlds-biggest-cruise-operator-carnival-for-bargain-basement-price

Very interesting article.  Thanks for sharing.

I'm not saying to anyone to not do it, but keep in mind that every chargeback request slows down the overall refund process further. The cruise line has to have people respond to each chargeback investigation and reply with detailed documentation -- a time-consuming process at a time their small staff is already time-constrained. If a lot of people try to get their refunds faster by submitting chargeback requests, I imagine it will further slow processing of refunds -- and there's no certainty you'll get your refund through the credit card company.

It will be interesting to see if the chargeback approach works, but I imagine it will take a couple months for cases to be fully resolved. 

1 hour ago, dalliowner said:

Has anybody received their cash refund yet? and how long after claim did it take. Ours is now 5 weeks since they cancelled our cruise and was wondering where  we  are in the queue .

Our TA advised they are looking at 8 - 12 weeks. On average 10.

• Thanks 1

15 hours ago, dalliowner said:

Has anybody received their cash refund yet? and how long after claim did it take. Ours is now 5 weeks since they cancelled our cruise and was wondering where  we  are in the queue .

We are at 6 + weeks (for taxes only - might be a different department) and no word yet.

Edited by Paulchili

15 hours ago, dalliowner said:

everybody seems to get estimates from TA s  but has anybody actually received anything yet

Another email re reimbursement of extra flight hotel costs prior to cruise itinerary going from changed to cancelled.

As I live in Australia these costs will take even longer to reimburse as involves foreign bank transfer... Could not refund to my ccard. expect 8-12 weeks on top of last 4 weeks...

At least I AM GETTING WRITTEN UPDATES...FINALLY ! 

Will post as soon as a penny arrives, encourage others to post too, if they receive a refund of either costs and/or fares.. 

Seems like "crickets" from ANYONE that received a refund. Zero communication from Seabourne.   Disappointing to say the least from a higher end cruise line.  "Bueller?"  "Bueller?"

Edited by Gitmo
  • Like 1

On March 15, we submitted our official request for a refund for our cancelled cruise.  We have received nothing in response, no communications, and certainly no money.  I conclude that we will have to wait a while longer.

My May 23 cruise canceled this week.  Their email said 90 days for a refund.  They also canceled the shore excursions also saying 90 days for refunds.  This is the first communications I've had from them since this thing began.  I have never been treated so poorly as a customer by a major corporation with so much money on the line.  Terrible.

• Like 1

Here is a reply to my emai from SB guest relations:

We are committed to providing our guests with the highest level of service, and appreciate the effort it takes to write to us. Please be assured that we respond to all correspondence in the date order it is received. It can take some time to properly investigate and research some issues in order to provide a complete and accurate response. We do note that we are currently experiencing high volumes but we will endeavor to respond to you within 14-28 working days. We appreciate this opportunity to review your correspondence and thank you for your patience.

Can you imagine that they cannot even respond to my email sooner than 14 - 28 WORKING days - that’s like up to 5 weeks? Never mind actually answering the phone, returning calls or processing refunds.

Totally unacceptable !!!

Again, shame, shame, shame on this line that likes to consider itself a LUXURY line. Not with this type of service.

Edited by Paulchili

1 hour ago, Paulchili said:

Here is a reply to my emai from SB guest relations:

We are committed to providing our guests with the highest level of service, and appreciate the effort it takes to write to us. Please be assured that we respond to all correspondence in the date order it is received. It can take some time to properly investigate and research some issues in order to provide a complete and accurate response. We do note that we are currently experiencing high volumes but we will endeavor to respond to you within 14-28 working days. We appreciate this opportunity to review your correspondence and thank you for your patience.

Hey Paulchili - you got more than we did with Crystal.  The auto-response below was to an email we sent to Guest Relations on March 12.  We have not had any other response and our claim dates back to Feb 21.  I agree with you.  Shame on luxury lines for their treatment of "valued guests".

Thank you for contacting Guest Support. We have received your email and our support team will be in touch with you as soon as possible. Please note our hours of operation are Monday through Friday between 9:00 am and 6:00 pm (US Eastern Standard Time). We are experiencing a higher than usual email volume and we appreciate your patience as we answer all emails in the order they have been received. Thank you for choosing Crystal Cruises.

Visit Crystal Cruises.com

15 minutes ago, MightyQuinn said:

Hey Paulchili - you got more than we did with Crystal.  The auto-response below was to an email we sent to Guest Relations on March 12.  We have not had any other response and our claim dates back to Feb 21.  I agree with you.  Shame on luxury lines for their treatment of "valued guests".

Thank you for contacting Guest Support. We have received your email and our support team will be in touch with you as soon as possible. Please note our hours of operation are Monday through Friday between 9:00 am and 6:00 pm (US Eastern Standard Time). We are experiencing a higher than usual email volume and we appreciate your patience as we answer all emails in the order they have been received. Thank you for choosing Crystal Cruises.

Visit Crystal Cruises.com

Lucky me (I guess)  😀

PS  Thanks for the heads-up. We are booked on Crystal next Jan LA to Brisbane. It's not likely that the circumstances will be right for cruising yet anyway but knowing what you are telling me about Crystal's attitude will make it easier for me to cancel this cruise unless we see miracles (and I don't believe in miracles).

Edited by Paulchili
  • Haha 1

Today I received a pleasant and businesslike email from a Seabourn official.  He indicated that the processing time for refunds is 8 to 12 weeks.  Since we filed our request on May 15 for a refund on the cancelled cruise that was to have departed March 28, we are probably only half-way to receiving our refund.  Just wanted to let you know.  This is consistent with what others have reported.  A very long wait.

May I give an example of a cruise line that acts much quicker and  in a more customer-oriented way than several cruise lines mentioned in this thread:

After numerous cruises with Seabourn (400+ days) and some less than pleasant cruises with them between 2015 and 2017, we decided to turn to TUICruises MeinSchiff fleet.

Last year we had to cancel a cruise at short notice after final payment date, for which the cruise contract stated we had to pay 80% of the cruise fare, 20,000Euros out of 25,000 Euros.

The 5,000 Euros we were entitled to claim back were paid by the cruise company. within just 1 day after cancellation.

When the cruise started, our TA wrote a short letter to the company, pointing out that the cruise was fully booked and inquired whether the company might be willing to refund part of our 80% charge. Within 3 days, we received 17,000 Euros without any further exchange of letters etc.

They did even better in 2020:

We had to cancel a 42-day cruise due to an accident on February 2, long before a pandemic was declared. We lost our downpayment (25% of the cruise fare).

After TUICruises had cancelled the cruise in March, we made a booking for a cruise in early 2022, and our TA was bold enough to politely inquire whether the company might be ready to transfer a small part of our lost downpayment (more than 6,000 Euros) to the new cruise, although we had cancelled without any reference to the pandemic. - Within two days we were informed that TUICruises would transfer the whole of our downpayment to the new cruise, thus relieving us from paying a single Euro for the cancelled cruise.

I think this cruise company was both very quick and extremely generous.

My TA stated it would be 60 to 90 days. I have another final due for a cruise in October that only has a small deposit on it. If I don't receive my refund by then, it is highly doubtful I would make another final payment. Will just cancel the October if I don't get the first refund. 

53 minutes ago, wesport said:

My TA stated it would be 60 to 90 days. I have another final due for a cruise in October that only has a small deposit on it. If I don't receive my refund by then, it is highly doubtful I would make another final payment. Will just cancel the October if I don't get the first refund. 

Our cruise is also in October. There is no way it will be safe to travel on any cruise ship by then. Because we booked from the UK, we can only get FCC for the deposit we paid so we are just waiting to see who will blink first about cancelling. Even if the cruise goes ahead, we will not risk our lives on a 21 day cruise with multiple ports. In my current state of mind - no vaccine, no cruise.

8 hours ago, Paulchili said:

Lucky me (I guess)  😀

PS  Thanks for the heads-up. We are booked on Crystal next Jan LA to Brisbane. It's not likely that the circumstances will be right for cruising yet anyway but knowing what you are telling me about Crystal's attitude will make it easier for me to cancel this cruise unless we see miracles (and I don't believe in miracles).

Thinking alike Paulchili... we have paid in full for 49 days on Crystal from Sep 2020 on a b2b2b Athens Dubai and also holding LA Brisbane next year...

Unlikely it will be resolved for either by then.... (despite Crystal being in touch re options. They  have replied that we have till June 2020 to cxl the Sept trip for refund or upgraded FCC.  Then 60 to 75 days to process refunds). At least we had reply, still nothing from SB.

We will likely invest in a luxury land based holiday when Europe reopens. Top hotels for a week at a time over 5 weeks will not be as expensive. Just the hassles of travel  between destinations.

and if  air and hotel is refundable , its a safer choice for now.

3 hours ago, zimflyer said:

Thinking alike Paulchili... we have paid in full for 49 days on Crystal from Sep 2020 on a b2b2b Athens Dubai and also holding LA Brisbane next year...

Unlikely it will be resolved for either by then.... (despite Crystal being in touch re options. They  have replied that we have till June 2020 to cxl the Sept trip for refund or upgraded FCC.  Then 60 to 75 days to process refunds). At least we had reply, still nothing from SB.

We will likely invest in a luxury land based holiday when Europe reopens. Top hotels for a week at a time over 5 weeks will not be as expensive. Just the hassles of travel  between destinations.

and if  air and hotel is refundable , its a safer choice for now.

We are also booked on the same 49 day cruise you mentioned.  We have fully paid and don’t plan on canceling the reservations!  If the cruise sails and we can get to Athens we will be on the ship.  The itinerary will probably change but we don’t care we just want to cruise!!!   If the cruise is canceled we will do as you suggested, spend time in hotels in Poland and Greece.