Viking post Covid-19

ClevelandKid

17 hours ago, OnTheJourney said:

..and probably should be required. What is incomprehensible to me are these idiots who are intentionally going around coughing on people - telling them they are infected and now hope you are too, etc. Also people NOT adhering to social distancing - still congregating in large groups - it is happening right in my small, conservative hometown. I mean, really? Someone coughed on a whole meat counter in a grocery store and then $30k+ worth of meat had to be thrown out. I don't get that mindset. 

If you are willing to share, what part of the state are you from?  I read about the grocery store incident 😡fortunately I have seen most people taking this seriously in my area (Susquehanna Valley/nearish Williamsport).

2 hours ago, DaveSJ711 said:

Here's another look at the cruise industry in today's NYT.  The article calls the industry the "symbol of the pandemic."  The focus is on Carnival, predictably, but one can extrapolate to our favorite line.

BTW, it's worth reading some of the comments to the article.  I don't see much love.

https://www.nytimes.com/2020/04/07/business/coronavirus-cruise-industry-carnival.html?action=click&module=Top Stories&pgtype=Homepage

Do they deserve much love? It may be well that the current situation causes more critical looks at the industry in general. An argument can easily be made that cruise lines are not good world citizens. There are reports that waters in the Venetian Lagoon are clearing up. That fish (and Dolphins!) are returning, The thought that occured to me while watching some behemoth sliding along the Grand Canal, towering over everything, was "something's not right here." Is Juneau going to miss shoulder to shoulder hordes descending every summer day?

5 hours ago, pacruise804 said:

If you are willing to share, what part of the state are you from?  I read about the grocery store incident 😡fortunately I have seen most people taking this seriously in my area (Susquehanna Valley/nearish Williamsport).

Reading / Berks County here.  So....Wiiliamsport?  I know that section pretty well - drove route 15 many times on the way to and from the Rochester / Finger Lakes area. 

Edited by OnTheJourney
  • Thanks 1

On 4/7/2020 at 2:23 AM, OnTheJourney said:

I can tell you this much...having been through a crisis onboard a Viking ship (actually having to evacuate about half of the passengers) and then having Mr. Hagen personally visit the hotels where the guests were temporarily housed and talk to all of us....the guy is a class act. The manner in which we were treated, compensated, well cared for during a difficult time, was beyond reproach. I know I speak for many in saying this. I can near guarantee that he means everything he says in that message. 

He said the company is looking after the crew and they are.

While crews are now disembarking and returning home, if their home countries are accepting the return of citizens. Once they disembark they still receive 60% of their salary until the end of the current contract, when they start leave.

How many other cruise lines look after their employees like this? Don't know the answer, but my guess will most likely be close.

The crew on the Viking Sun, at least many of the Hotel crew, will disembark a few days after us and because the company is looking after them well, they are still happy, smiling and providing exceptional service.

40 minutes ago, Heidi13 said:

He said the company is looking after the crew and they are.

While crews are now disembarking and returning home, if their home countries are accepting the return of citizens. Once they disembark they still receive 60% of their salary until the end of the current contract, when they start leave.

How many other cruise lines look after their employees like this? Don't know the answer, but my guess will most likely be close.

The crew on the Viking Sun, at least many of the Hotel crew, will disembark a few days after us and because the company is looking after them well, they are still happy, smiling and providing exceptional service.

http://crew-center.com/po-cruises-crew-receive-goodwill-payment?fbclid=IwAR2w7423uMIPCQshUL5EQ4RxynYoiNFjLtWQMGT23rPRSSSp2K_luS3e5rQ

17 hours ago, OnTheJourney said:

Reading / Berks County here.  So....Wiiliamsport?  I know that section pretty well - drove route 15 many times on the way to and from the Rochester / Finger Lakes area. 

If you travel this way again after the crisis has ended, I recommend stopping at Weaver's Pizza in Allenwood (a little south of Williamsport).  They only do pizza after 5pm but have hand dipped ice cream during daytime hours, fun vintage decor (50's and 60's), reasonable gas prices, and some nostalgic candy items for sale too.

I strongly fear that the entire Viking "Empire" VR/VC/VE will not emerge from virus crisis. Their market segment is highly dependent upon a population of "at risk seniors". Expansion was too fast into too many sectors.  Take the refund now, may be impossible in 6 months.  I truly wish it was not so.

1 hour ago, CincyAL said:

I strongly fear that the entire Viking "Empire" VR/VC/VE will not emerge from virus crisis. Their market segment is highly dependent upon a population of "at risk seniors". Expansion was too fast into too many sectors.  Take the refund now, may be impossible in 6 months.  I truly wish it was not so.

My wife and I took four Viking cruises beginning last July and finishing up last month.  Oddly, our March cruise to the most remote destination -- the southern tip of South America -- had by far the highest number of infirm and unwell folks, almost all of them well north of 75.  The sheer number of canes, walkers, wheelchairs, and oxygen tanks was astounding.  We felt like we were traveling in a high-end nursing home.

Edited by DaveSJ711

4 hours ago, DaveSJ711 said:

My wife and I took four Viking cruises beginning last July and finishing up last month.  Oddly, our March cruise to the most remote destination -- the southern tip of South America -- had by far the highest number of infirm and unwell folks, almost all of them well north of 75.  The sheer number of canes, walkers, wheelchairs, and oxygen tanks was astounding.  We felt like we were traveling in a high-end nursing home.

And that trip was with Viking?  😳😳😳
wow, never would have expected that. 

That's amazing. There are only 2 handicapped staterooms on each ship. We've been on Viking Ocean ships a total of about 8 weeks and never anticipated anything close to that. One guy in a wheelchair/scooter. A few canes. I do not recall anyone on oxygen. Very unusual. I have a collapsible cane but carried it in a bag and never used it. We got a head start getting out to the tour buses because I walk slowly, but never saw anything like you described.

8 hours ago, DaveSJ711 said:

Edited by stretchcruz

10 minutes ago, stretchcruz said:

That's amazing. There are only 2 handicapped staterooms on each ship. We've been on Viking Ocean ships a total of about 8 weeks and never anticipated anything close to that. One guy in a wheelchair/scooter. A few canes. I do not recall anyone on oxygen. Very unusual. I have a collapsible cane but carried it in a bag and never used it. We got a head start getting out to the tour buses because I walk slowly, but never saw anything like you described.

The first three cruises we took were much like you describe.  But the last one, in South America, was just jammed with seniors who looked very unhealthy, and who used one or more aids wherever they went.  

In the 5 years or so I’ve. Even cursing with VR & VO, I’ve noticed that the median age of our fellow cruisers is getting a little younger. It makes us feel younger 😁

Edited by Squawkman
Typo

13 hours ago, CincyAL said:

As one of the few passengers still aboard a Viking ship, the experience onboard and how Viking is looking after the crew does not equate to a company that has the potential to fail, at least in the short/medium term.

At present, Viking are retaining about 80 crew aboard the ships, once all pax disembark and even crew being disembarked will receive a portion of salary until the end of their contract. The one on leave, once they are scheduled to return, they also start getting paid a portion of their salary.

With only 80 crew aboard, no Doctor is required, as a Doctor is only required when the crew/pax exceeds 100. However, while the Doc would prefer to disembark, she is required to remain aboard. Again, Viking could easily reduce this expense. Same with Cooks, with only 1 cook required, but Viking are keeping 5 aboard the Sun. They could also significantly reduce the Deck department to minimum watchkeeping and fire-fighting, but are retaining all.

Based on the facts and information we receive on board, they have sufficient cash flow for the short/medium term. If this drags on longer, they have additional cost containments they can make  to further reduce costs.

By taking these steps, Viking has very motivated crew, who want this company to survive, as they don't want to work elsewhere.

Without seeing balance sheets, I can only base my opinion on the facts I am seeing on board, which is very +ve for the future.

• Like 5

31 minutes ago, orchestrapal said:

Love your rose colored glasses.
Enjoy your current time aboard Viking since what we are reading in reliable sources makes the future of cruising look very glum. 

How about this, I agree with both you and Andy.  The industry will face a major shakeout.  They were heading for overcapacity with all the contracted and under construction ships even before this.  Some lines will fail.  Some will get through it though in what form is yet to be determined.  Lines that have mostly old ships will not survive.  Some shipyards will fold as well and you don't just start a shipyard easily.  All speculation at this point but I also hope for the best for Viking and their wonderful crews.

• Like 2

20 hours ago, DaveSJ711 said:

My husband and I went on the Valparaiso to Buenos Aires cruise in December and at 70 & 68 respectively, we felt “young”. For many, just getting on and off a bus was an ordeal. I admired these folks for getting out there and seeing the world and a cruise is realistically their best option. I certainly hope that Viking survives this crisis financially since we would like to continue sailing with them well into our 70s & 80s even if we have to pack our walkers😀

"The CDC said the agency is also aware of 20 cruise ships at port or anchorage in the United States with known or suspected COVID-19 patients remain isolated on board the vessels. "

This was in the first article.  I had NO idea there were ships, passengers and crew still with NOwhere to go?   I do not know if this article has  actual facts or not????

17 minutes ago, deec said:

"The CDC said the agency is also aware of 20 cruise ships at port or anchorage in the United States with known or suspected COVID-19 patients remain isolated on board the vessels. "

This was in the first article.  I had NO idea there were ships, passengers and crew still with NOwhere to go?   I do not know if this article has  actual facts or not????

Suffice it to say the last thing any of the cruise lines WANT to do is admit they have cases onboard...that's not to say they don't HAVE to report, especially if they're hoping to get into a port to offload sick people.  I've heard from friends who are working onboard one of the HAL ships at present who said they landed at least one crew member in Mexico who was positive, and there's dozens more with 'flu like' symptoms onboard.  Of course due to the lack of comprehensive testing like you'd expect to have on land, it seems they're hoping its not the worst case scenario and are simply isolating and treating as they can. 

4 hours ago, orchestrapal said:

Love your rose colored glasses.
Enjoy your current time aboard Viking since what we are reading in reliable sources makes the future of cruising look very glum. 

Rose colored glasses, indeed.

How does the cruise industry (including Viking) deal with stories like this?  The word "deathtrap" stands out.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/world/asia_pacific/people-just-didnt-care-how-the-ruby-princess-cruise-ship-became-a-death-trap/2020/04/10/058ab45e-7a33-11ea-a311-adb1344719a9_story.html