Viking post Covid-19

ClevelandKid

Here’s another angle on the future:

“Corporate insiders have been significant buyers of their companies’ shares, a show of confidence that the crisis will pass, even as the nation’s leaders debate exactly when Americans can safely return to work.

The volume of transactions in beaten-down industries, from travel to health care to gaming, suggests executives and directors are more bullish than they’ve been at most other points in the past decade, according to Sundial Capital Research.

Carnival Corp. board member Randall Weisenburger bought $10 million of stock in the beleaguered cruise-line operator last week. The shares have jumped 56% since the purchase.”

And keep in mind, the universe NEVER lets the average joe get ahead for long.  Don’t be an average joe.  And go to cash when the average joe appears to be getting ahead.

image.jpeg

Edited by Ragnar Danneskjold

Hmmm..not sure I agree with all of that and have somewhat different thoughts on 'going to cash'. I'm not a short term trader, and so held all positions throughout the 08/09 situation and have done so again through this. Actually I buy shares of depressed securities when they seem historically low. It's a tough pill to swallow sometimes, but has always paid off. Much depends on one's diversification and overall allocation percentages. 

Edited by OnTheJourney

Baron B....I also am not liking the idea of possibly spending a good portion of the remainder of my life wearing a mask, let alone on a vacation. I'm inclined to say that under such conditions I might just prefer staying home, or else going on a car trip to relatively unpopulated areas and then wear a mask as needed. This whole event, even weeks after things started getting bad in the US, still just seems so unreal. It has dampened a good part of my enthusiasm for doing certain things that I always really enjoyed. Being a church organist and choir director, I found Holy Week and Easter to be in some ways most depressing since all our services were canceled to the public back in early March already. I'm trying to regain some of the lost momentum and not overly focus on the news. I hate the paranoid feeling of going anywhere for fear of possibly getting infected. Sorry for the digression since most of that has little to do with the thread. 

As to Viking Post-Covid...I think it's probably anyone's guess. Depends on how long the industry is down. 

Edited by OnTheJourney

3 hours ago, OnTheJourney said:

Hmmm..not sure I agree with all of that and have somewhat different thoughts on 'going to cash'. I'm not a short term trader, and so held all positions throughout the 08/09 situation and have done so again through this. Actually I buy shares of depressed securities when they seem historically low. It's a tough pill to swallow sometimes, but has always paid off. Much depends on one's diversification and overall allocation percentages. 

“When the shoeshine boy is giving stock advice, its time to get out.”

- - Joe Kennedy (I think)

This is not a stock forum, so I will end this here.  Really only wanted to bring up the Carnival insider buying big, as an indication that somebody with insider knowledge thinks at least CCL will survive.

However, insiders are not always right....

18 hours ago, ingres said:

We have two Viking Ocean cruises booked. I agree that the safest option is to wait for a vaccine. But there is a 5 minute Covid-19 test. I would feel safer if Viking tested all passengers on embarkation.

I work in a hospital lab and run the "5 minute" test. It is the Abbott ID NOW test that is in the news. It actually takes 15 minutes to perform a complete test including the incubation time for the reagent and the reaction afterwards. The five minutes they talk about is if the patient is positive the endpoint of the reaction can occur before the full fifteen minutes.  It realistically can only test about four patients per hour so if there were only 900 passengers on board we would be testing for a while. This test is unfortunately not the answer to widespread testing. 

• Like 1

One could think up a way to keep the virus from coming on at embarkation, say 24 hour lockdown in a pre-cruise hotel for all pax while awaiting test results, but it’s limiting interaction with locals at port stops along the way that is very problematic.  (Many apologies to my heroic grammar teachers...)

44 minutes ago, Ragnar Danneskjold said:

One could think up a way to keep the virus from coming on at embarkation, say 24 hour lockdown in a pre-cruise hotel for all pax while awaiting test results, but it’s limiting interaction with locals at port stops along the way that is very problematic.  (Many apologies to my heroic grammar teachers...)

Good point Ragnar.  On our world cruises this happened a number of times.  Passengers and/or crew would bring something back onboard and the sniffles or a cough would go around.  The nature of overseas travel is being exposed to new things.  Not all of them are welcome. Unfortunately, this particular virus is worse than most..😎

A bit off topic, since it does not involve Viking...but does post-Covid. I just checked both RCL and Celebrity's website and noticed that cruises are available to book beginning as early as May 14....seriously???  I did not expect that. Prices look good, but they would need to pay ME to go that soon. I was actually a bit shocked...more like appalled. I see some other lines go out as far as July before restarting. Even that soon...just not sure about where all this is going. 

Edited by OnTheJourney

The cruise lines are “throttling” the number of people they have to deal with at any one time by canceling cruises in increments.  It is very unlikely anyone is cruising this year 😞

Sampling around on CC it’s amazing how many people think their summer cruise will still happen.  If only I could also be a Pollyanna...

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Ragnar Danneskjold said:

The cruise lines are “throttling” the number of people they have to deal with at any one time by canceling cruises in increments.  It is very unlikely anyone is cruising this year 😞

Sampling around on CC it’s amazing how many people think their summer cruise will still happen.  If only I could also be a Pollyanna...

We would have been on a Viking river cruise right now, and after some debate we just transferred our deposit for an ocean cruise for October 25 forward to April of 2021. Of course I am not certain that even that is far enough, but I can't abandon all hope. I need something to look forward to to maintain mental health.

• Like 3

Viking cancelled our April 3, 2020 29 day cruise Mumbai to London on March 11th.

We told Viking on March 11th we wanted a refund.

Viking said 21 business days for our refund, which would have been April 9th.

On April 10th Viking said refunds were going out by next week.

Now Viking is saying 90 days for our refund.

Stock analysis are say the public trading cruise lines will be burning a Billion dollars a month.

I convinced Viking won't stay out of bankruptcy before we get our refund.

3 minutes ago, kcpvwill said:

See above, not sure how to work a quote, I’m a beginner!  

You got it to work. Just select the "quote" link and it will open a new reply with the previous post already copied. You can delete parts of the quote, if you wish, by selecting text within the quote box.

Once ready, ensure the cursor is below the quote box and type your reply😊

1 minute ago, Heidi13 said:

You got it to work. Just select the "quote" link and it will open a new reply with the previous post already copied. You can delete parts of the quote, if you wish, by selecting text within the quote box.

Once ready, ensure the cursor is below the quote box and type your reply😊

Thanks Heidi this is just testing I can do a quote.  Sorry to go off topic.  Keep safe.  

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, tomworldwidewaftage said:

Viking cancelled our April 3, 2020 29 day cruise Mumbai to London on March 11th.

This is not a good sign of Viking's ability to stay solvent, sounds like they are running out of cash, if this is true. This is why if our VO cruise is canceled for September we will only take a cash refund, there is no guarantee a 2 year FCC can ever be redeemed. 

Edited by terrydtx

1 hour ago, terrydtx said:

This is not a good sign of Viking's ability to stay solvent, sounds like they are running out of cash, if this is true. This is why if our VO cruise is canceled for September we will only take a cash refund, there is no guarantee a 2 year FCC can ever be redeemed. 

I agree...doesn't sound real encouraging to be pushing off to 90 days, though might they be going by what other lines are doing? I have no idea - having not looked into any of this yet. My TA has been having enough of a go-around with finding out info on whether we're getting FCC or a refund for a cruise (not with Viking) that had to be canceled last month. 

I see you're booked in aqua class. If you've not done it before, I believe you'll really like it - did this for the first time this past October on the Summit and booked aqua again for next spring. We loved eating in Blu - so quiet and always got a table (for 2) right at a window. Enjoyed using the persian garden a few times as well. Fancy 'nibbles' arrived in the room every afternoon too!  Ahhh....almost seems like a lifetime and a different world ago 😞  

Edited by OnTheJourney

10 hours ago, OnTheJourney said:

I agree...doesn't sound real encouraging to be pushing off to 90 days, though might they be going by what other lines are doing? I have no idea - having not looked into any of this yet. My TA has been having enough of a go-around with finding out info on whether we're getting FCC or a refund for a cruise (not with Viking) that had to be canceled last month. 

I find it ironic that everything Viking does seems to be in spite of what other lines do...and they actively promote all of the aspects that set them apart!  I guess when it comes to taking money they’re happy to have it 12 months in advance (unlike any other) but when it comes time to give it back they fall in line with the others in the stalling game...

I get it, having funds on the balance sheet looks better than not, but I’m sure everyone else would agree in times like these having money in your own pocket looks even better!

• Like 1

Good point. I don't think anyone knows how things will turn out with the cruise lines' finances. They won't know either until cruises start to reopen. Before that happens, though, I suspect a good amount of money will need to be spent putting in place whatever types of new guidelines, precautions, and policies are going to be established. 

On 4/16/2020 at 12:47 PM, tomworldwidewaftage said:

Stock analysis are say the public trading cruise lines will be burning a Billion dollars a month.

We had the opposite experience. We cancelled a booking on April 5. Refund  appeared on credit card on April 16. 

On 4/16/2020 at 9:47 AM, tomworldwidewaftage said:

WE cancelled our Sept 2020 Viking 13 Med cruise on March 31, we had all of the money we paid Viking, $18,000+, back on our AMEX card on April 2. It seems there are some inconsistencies in Viking's refund policies.

On 4/16/2020 at 10:17 PM, tomworldwidewaftage said:

Viking finally refunded our money, they way they did it was with no explanation.

All on the same credit card.

1. $500.00 

2. a week later another $4500.00 

3. a week later another $15,000.00

On 5/4/2020 at 2:05 AM, tomworldwidewaftage said:

Viking finally refunded our money, they way they did it was with no explanation.

All on the same credit card.

1. $500.00 

2. a week later another $4500.00 

3. a week later another $15,000.00

Look back at your payments that I suspect were a few weeks/months apart. Did you make three distinct payments? deposit, travel insurance, final? or something  like that? If so, the refunds were processed payment by payment. Would make perfect sense to me.