How many more times does RCCL suspends cruises before they say enough is enough for 2020 ?

Jimbo

I mean how many  more times do they want to sit there and rebook people and then hand out those 125% FCC and rebook again and again.

I think they should just not take anymore bookings for 2020. It's just not going to be safe enough to sail anywhere anyway.

To many ports are still going to have problems...........

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, Jimbo said:

I mean how many  more times do they want to sit there and rebook people and then hand out those 125% FCC and rebook again and again.

I think they should just not take anymore bookings for 2020. It's just not going to be safe enough to sail anywhere anyway.

To many ports are still going to have problems...........

I agree 100%.  

Regardless of how long it takes, and no one knows how long things will last and  cancelling one month at a time makes it a lot easier on their system and doesn’t overwhelm them.  Can’t be helped that there are overly optimistic  people that keep thinking that we will be cruising in June and booking those cruises.

All the cruise lines seem to be following this pattern and no one want to be the one who cancelled sailings too far out and gets caught with a couple months worth of no one booked on their ships when cruising resumes.

At the end of the day book what you think is right for you.  What does it matter what the cruise line does.  

• Like 37

4 minutes ago, Ourusualbeach said:

Regardless of how long it takes, and no one knows how long things will last and  cancelling one month at a time makes it a lot easier on their system and doesn’t overwhelm them.  Can’t be helped that there are overly optimistic  people that keep thinking that we will be cruising in June and booking those cruises.

All the cruise lines seem to be following this pattern and no one want to be the one who cancelled sailings too far out and gets caught with a couple months worth of no one booked on their ships when cruising resumes.

At the end of the day book what you think is right for you.  What does it matter what the cruise line does.  

Are you a travel agent?

9 minutes ago, Ourusualbeach said:

Yes, but curious as to why that would matter.

Some of your views of things just might have ulterior motives and let us just leave it at that.

No issue, I appreciate your opinion on the question.

Thanks

Edited by Jimbo
  • Like 2
  • Haha 1

10 minutes ago, Jimbo said:

Some of your views of things just might have ulterior motives and let us just leave it at that.

No issue, I appreciate your opinion on the question.

Thanks

No ulterior motives here and I’ll tell you I haven’t rebooked any clients for any sailings before November and I would advise them not to.  

Personally I don’t think they will sail for a while either however doing it the way they are is a lot more orderly than cancelling the next 9 months.  They are following the same pattern as most hotels and airlines, none of those have cancelled everything until the end of the year.  Who knows, maybe it will get to that stage but we are not there yet.

• Like 19

Maybe everyone should wait and see what happens before you book anything.  What is the rush?

It is still March,  I doubt they are going to scrap the entire rest of the year so soon.

Because people are annoyed they have to keep rebooking.

• Like 4

That is exactly what I am doing at the moment- wait and see how long it takes to get back ( well almost) to normal! All cruise lines ofer some sort of cruise with confidence now!

For me - planing my voyages are half the fun- so I am doing that- planing- and keeping my eyes on cruises to use my down payment for my canceled voyage!

• Like 2

Agree...2020 may be done...but we genuinely hope it isn't.

RCCL will follow the anticipated rolling start. Perhaps a few Caribbean sailings using only private islands. 

Those who love to cruise...will continue to cruise. For those 70 and over, it will be difficult. 

Cruising will be "at your own risk" and will be questioned by many... especially by the non-cruising public. RCCL must sail asap...or it will possibly go bankrupt. They continue to book to replace those that decided to cancel earlier.

We booked a number of cruises this year...most have been cancelled. We only rebooked cruises because we have airfares that were extended only until the end of this year.

• Like 1

It's a cash flow issue those bookings show projected earnings and that's how banks lend them money...I would guess that if the cruises industry does not get cruising by the summer they will all go bankrupt....the cost to run all those ships is enormous.

• Like 8
  • Haha 1

I do not see the situation in such dire straits. Hope dies last- so they say. Nothing and nobody can stay in Lock down for more then two month- maybe three. Corona may be around for ever- but can be handled like the influenza or flu. They are working on it!

• Like 8

2 hours ago, robandana said:

.I would guess that if the cruises industry does not get cruising by the summer they will all go bankrupt.

1 hour ago, Saab4444 said:

For sure the industry will be bankcrupt if cruising is done for all 2020. Same with all airlines and hotels if traveling does not start over again in a few months.

So, according to you 2 prognosticators, the cruise industry, the airline industry and the hotel industry's will all go bankrupt if things are not back to normal  in a few months.

This is the best joke I have heard in a long time.  Back in 2005, Delta Airlines declared bankruptcy,  kept flying and in a mere 3 years later bought out Northwest.

Take a deep breath, stay safe and hopefully the travel industry will be back and be stronger than ever.  A more optimistic attitude goes a long way.

• Like 11

5 minutes ago, SNJCruisers said:

So, according to you 2 prognosticators, the cruise industry, the airline industry and the hotel industry's will all go bankrupt if things are not back to normal  in a few months.

This is the best joke I have heard in a long time.  Back in 2005, Delta Airlines declared bankruptcy,  kept flying and in a mere 3 years later bought out Northwest.

Take a deep breath, stay safe and hopefully the travel industry will be back and be stronger than ever.  A more optimistic attitude goes a long way.

My reply was optimistic because I assume they have to start over earlier and they will.

By the way a bankruptcy of a single company in a working economy is a total different story.

• Like 2

I have Jewel booked for 19 July and Radiance for 4 November. 

I don't expect the Jewel to go ahead, it is a Baltic cruise and things in Europe are not good. And the Radiance cruise is a mystery, because the port schedules have changed and now have Radiance coming in two weeks earlier (was meant to be in dry dock in Singapore prior to our cruise). So instead of leaving Singapore 4 November and arriving in Brisbane 16 November,  the port schedules show 17 October to 29 October. No word from Royal as yet, the 4 November cruise is still being sold. We have flights and accommodation already booked. It's a mess. 

It may last forever. As long as news keep coming and politicians are doubting their own decisions, the Industry has all rights to postpone/cancel stuff as long as their safety in under pressure. They dont wont to lose their business and they dont want to lose their passangers. Its a difficult question. It has no solution really. I would suggest just keeping up with the news and live according to it. Threre is nothing you can change at the moment 

The issue will be preventing a resurgence.  Cruises have proven to be a rapid spreader of virus.  Unless they come up with a vaccine that works, and the cruise lines require proof that every passenger has had it, I can't see cruises resuming any time soon.  I would be shocked to see all of that happen within a year from now.

Sadly, cruises are a luxury and not a necessity (like they used to be) to get from A to B.  Airlines have similar issues with spreading the virus, but we don't vacation on board an airline for a week.  We use them as a method of travel for many reasons (vacation, business, relocating from one place to another).  They are considered more necessary than cruise ships.  If airlines are to continue they will have to take steps to mitigate a resurgence (thoroughly cleaning planes, screening passengers, sitting them every-other seat, requiring everyone to wear masks, scheduling less flights so there are not as many people in the terminal, etc.)

My doctor told me today, as I get winter asthma & have high blood pressure, to get the flu vaccine in April & try to get out of Australia for our winter if you can, if our government allows you, & hopefully go to a Greek Island if the Greek government allows.  
He also said that unless there is a vaccine or at least 60% of USA has been infected by June, the virus will be in the USA for the next 12 months, so best to not plan on visiting the USA until mid 2021 at the earliest.

I certainly wouldn’t be booking a cruise in any country around the world during the winter months if there is any sign of Covid19 unless I’ve been vaccinated or immune.

• Like 4

9 hours ago, Ourusualbeach said:

Can’t be helped that there are overly optimistic  people that keep thinking that we will be cruising in June and booking those cruises.

There are some who see this situation as a glass half full, or, like @Thorben-Hendrik used to do, book something that they think will likely be cancelled, to get the perks.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

10 hours ago, Ourusualbeach said:

.  Can’t be helped that there are overly optimistic  people that keep thinking that we will be cruising in June and booking those cruises.

what's you opinion on July?   we booked our Alaska cruise for the end of July back in January.   final payment is due at the end of April and as of today we are waiting until then to decide one way or the other.  (Vancouver start point)  

FL Governor has stated the state of emergency ends on 8 May(  so far)   so I do not anticipate any  cruises out of here before 1 June.