How many more times does RCCL suspends cruises before they say enough is enough for 2020 ?

Jimbo

8 hours ago, JAMESCC said:

I don't disagree with this, interesting points but this puts us back to "cruises won't start till there is a vaccine". I do not believe any of these lines will survive that long. Don't forget just because a vaccine is found cruises don't start the next day. It will take time to manufacture it and administer it. I don't believe even Carnival will survive that long. 

Please note I mentioned that effective treatments would also be a game changer, not just a vaccine.

58 minutes ago, pyrateslife4me84 said:

The numbers they provide for flu are an estimate of TOTAL infected. Very few are tested. So you are included in the estimate. 

Lancet posted an article yesterday estimating the Covid-19 death rate at closer to 0.66%. 

https://www.thelancet.com/journals/laninf/article/PIIS1473-3099(20)30243-7/fulltext

Ok, but in the context of the current strain on hospitals, I personally don't see that it matters at all.  They are just numbers for people to talk about.  

• Like 3

Other than the Princess incidents I haven't heard any negative media about the cruise industry contributing this this.

80% of NY who by the way pay federal and state and city taxes would like to get back to work as well. Cry me a river if I don't have sympathy for the Cabin steward who sends is income home to support the philippines or some other foreign country.

1 hour ago, alfaeric said:

Ok, but in the context of the current strain on hospitals, I personally don't see that it matters at all.  They are just numbers for people to talk about.  

Data matters a good deal. That’s why the epidemiologists keep saying “we need better data.”

32 minutes ago, Iamcruzin said:

Other than the Princess incidents I haven't heard any negative media about the cruise industry contributing this this.

80% of NY who by the way pay federal and state and city taxes would like to get back to work as well. Cry me a river if I don't have sympathy for the Cabin steward who sends is income home to support the philippines or some other foreign country.

https://www.usatoday.com/story/travel/cruises/2020/03/31/holland-america-docking-plan-coronavirus-infected-ship-florida/5095406002/

This is all over the news in Canada.

Just now, lovemylab said:

I realize that cruise ships have issues but the media is reporting a story they are not blaming the cruise industry for the overall demise. People on dry land are spreading this disease by not social distancing even when the state is closed for business.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, Iamcruzin said:

I realize that cruise ships have issues but the media is reporting a story they are not blaming the cruise industry for the overall demise. People on dry land are spreading this disease by not social distancing even when the state is closed for business.

Like it or not, they are blaming the cruise industry.  Family and friends are now telling me they will never cruise.

Noro, flu, colds, now covid 19.

• Like 3

8 minutes ago, steveru621 said:

Like it or not, they are blaming the cruise industry.  Family and friends are now telling me they will never cruise.

Noro, flu, colds, now covid 19.

Have they ever cruised before? I have been hearing that from non cruisers for 30 yrs, minus the corvid-19 since that's new. By the way these same people get the flu and colds staying home. 

• Like 1

Just now, Iamcruzin said:

Have they ever cruised before? I have been hearing that from non cruisers for 30 yrs, minus the corvid-19 since that's new. By the way these same people get the flu and colds staying home. 

I have several friends and family members who were considering a cruise for their next vacation that are no longer interested.  Some of these people have been on a cruise before.

7 minutes ago, Iamcruzin said:

1 minute ago, lovemylab said:

I have several friends and family members who were considering a cruise for their next vacation that are no longer interested.  Some of these people have been on a cruise before.

Yes.

You can't minimize the damage theses stories have inflicted on the industry.  All people hear are 4 people died and no country will let them dock.

People are more likely to get Noro anywhere, but all you hear about are cruise ships.  Many people have no idea on how to assess risk.

• Like 3

1 minute ago, steveru621 said:

Yes.

You can't minimize the damage theses stories have inflicted on the industry.  All people hear are 4 people died and no country will let them dock.

People are more likely to get Noro anywhere, but all you hear about are cruise ships.  Many people have no idea on how to assess risk.

Right now we only go out to the supermarket maybe once every 1 1/2 to two weeks.  I wouldn't even consider a cruise until next year only because I don't hold much hope for the sailings this year.  I actually think the cruise lines did us a favor by keeping those passengers on board all that time although it wasn't their choice. The only negligence I see was when Princess transferred crew members from the west coast to Florida. 

• Like 1

I wont blame cruise industry for anything they did or didnt do. Hind sight is everything.

I have many friends who have said the same thing. No way will they cruise again. Now of course time makes all wounds heal but it will take a long time to recover from this. It doesnt matter if its deemed safe to cruise by cdc, perception is everything. Nobody wants to end up stuck on a cruise ship with no one willing to except them in port. Again,this is the perception the public is seeing at the moment and it makes the headlines. If you have children like myself it makes you think even harder of how much risk you are willing to take. Time will tell.

• Like 1

Every time a plane crashes, people swear they are never going to fly again. When a Carnival ship (Triumph?) lost power and spent several days adrift in Gulf of Mexico, people swore they would never cruise again. After 9/11, people swore they would never live or work in NYC or any other major city that is a favorite target of terrorist.

People have short memories.

I don't see the  cruise industry being scapegoated. I have not heard anyone blame Corona Virus on cruise ships and that is certainly not the case in New York. The travel industry as a whole is going to be affected - hotels in Vegas and Nashville for example. Anybody that thinks  just the cruise industry is  affected is being hyper-sensitive. 

And Yes, I'm aware this a a cruise forum with many passionate cruisers that eat, sleep and drink cruise thoughts all day long.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, pcur said:

The point I was making is they made it through, regardless of what they had to do to survive.  I remember they pulled completely out of the West Coast because of the drug wars in Mexico, and they haven't been back. They have a tendency to land on their feet.  We all thought it was close to the end when we experienced the whole over-$100/barrel fiasco, and then they got sued, and then we had the garbage dumping up in Alaska.  

Still in business.  Their survival technique?  LOTS of cash on hand!

Lot’s of whose cash on hand? I seem to remember a $2.2 billion loan they have to pay back next March. Don’t they still have all of the money of the people that took the fcc option with the Cruise with Confidence program? If I’m not mistaken a whole bunch of the cruises that was booked recently, and in the future, will be financed with these IOUs. Who knows how long this virus will hang around, if it’s months, more fccs. When it starts back up there are an unknown number of cruisers who will either not come back, not come back until they are sure the crises has past, and people who won’t cruise as much. Not everybody can afford to cruise and with the financial hit just about everybody took, adding a bunch of new cruisers anytime soon. Time is not on their side.

As far as Mexico ic concerned, I don’t think the main cause of them leaving were the drug wars, I think it was the final straw and a good excuse to exit gracefully. I think there was too much competition and not a whole lot of options as far as ports. It was all about money, they could make more elsewhere. We did the Mexican Rivera nine times, Hawaii three times and the west coastal three times and were bored. We moved on and never went back.

9 hours ago, alfaeric said:

But I also don't recall any time the common influenza ever overwhelmed hospital systems all over the world at the same time.  That's the part that is rather mind boggling right now.

I agree.  Regardless of the statistics, it's what's happening with the "feet on the ground" that is shocking all of us.  The pandemics we had before never, ever got to this level of infection.  It's the infection rate that drives the death rate:  more infections, more deaths.  That's what I keep reading:  it's how easily this bug is transmitted, and unlike others before it, it doesn't manifest in the first few days.  So, people walk around with it and infect other people without knowing they have it.

My older son is in a "essential business" in CA, but he chooses to work from home and self-isolate.  He knows that if he walks into that small office, it's not just him and the others, but everyone he's been exposed to, and everyone they've been exposed to, in the last 14 days.  I explained that to him:  you and about 500 of your unknown friends are there!!

• Like 2

35 minutes ago, ATG said:

We live in rural SC.  The hospital in the next county has cut staff hours 20% because there are so few patients.  

I live in SC too - haven't heard that and can't find it. Which hospital and which county?

18 hours ago, Merion_Mom said:

17 hours ago, A&L_Ont said:

Fools.  🤦‍♂️

We live in Florida. There are many petitions and letters from members of Congress being sent to the Governor requesting that the state be shut-down. I don't understand his reasoning, and I'm hoping it doesn't lead to preventable deaths. 

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Dennis#1 said:

Let’s all hope that RCCL will start cruising before the end of June.  

Let’s hope that COVID-19 is contained by June.  But, it will be less in some areas and increasing infection in other areas of the country.  Better to be safe than sorry.   Worst thing that could happen is we start everything too soon.   I hope that I am wrong but I believe that the summer season will not happen and I believe 100% that the higher ups know it.  

• Like 2

22 minutes ago, lr657 said:

We live in Florida. There are many petitions and letters from members of Congress being sent to the Governor requesting that the state be shut-down. I don't understand his reasoning, and I'm hoping it doesn't lead to preventable deaths. 

The truth is he (governor) is listening to old news clips and not his professionals.  He is leading from behind.  

2 minutes ago, Hobby3333 said:

The truth is he (governor) is listening to old news clips and not his professionals.  He is leading from behind.  

I would believe he isn't listening at all..............how can you not see what is going on in the Country, his state? 

• Like 3