Holland America extends operational pause notice

Cruisepucks

The situation we are all facing is not HAL’s fault.  However, they should pony up like other cruise lines and inform “us” clients how they will handle our refunds. RCI has announced no Alaska sailing until July 1 and was given choices already.  

We are not millionaires who go on leisurely vacations frequently, at least I’m  not.  Most of us spent $$$ and we need the cash flow in our pocket.  HAL needs to take care “us” passengers in timely manner like other cruise lines.  

• Like 1

4 hours ago, mkkao924 said:

Really disappointed that they conveniently avoid Alaska cruise before July 1st. Such a snail reaction considered Canada has announce port close for two weeks.

RCL already announced no Alaska sailing until July 1.  Why can’t HAL do the same so we all can make decisions and move on.  Maybe CCL is in financial trouble which I doubt. 

Ok just got notice that our May 9th cruise was canceled.  In looking at the FCC offer it says 125% of the base cruise fare.  What is that?  It is not defined in the small print.  What happens to the taxes and port fees we paid? Is that included in the FCC or is it refunded to us?  So confusing......

• Like 1

Base cruise fare is before taxes, port fees and Platinum or Standard Cruise Protection Program.  This is what HAL agent told us.  If you purchased Cruise Protection Program or purchased HAL EZ airfare, that would be refunded.  

Edited by Janet76

2 hours ago, urmysunshine12 said:

Hello

we are Canadian and booked on an AlaskaCruise Tour which starts May 14th but actual sailing date is May 17, trying now to get clarification as wording states ''sailings to May 14th'.  If anyone knows anything further I"d greatly appreciate hearing.

We had been waiting to cancel figuring as ports were closed until July and we are only allowed essential travel, the date would have been extended further.  

Same here. Train to Denali on May 14th and getting ship in Seward on May 17th. We also have two nights pre-train booked in Anchorage as we thought we’d take the 13th and look around Anchorage.  

2 hours ago, urmysunshine12 said:

Hello

we are Canadian and booked on an AlaskaCruise Tour which starts May 14th but actual sailing date is May 17, trying now to get clarification as wording states ''sailings to May 14th'.  If anyone knows anything further I"d greatly appreciate hearing.

We had been waiting to cancel figuring as ports were closed until July and we are only allowed essential travel, the date would have been extended further.  

Same here. Train to Denali on May 14th and getting ship in Seward on May 17th. We also have two nights pre-train booked in Anchorage as we thought we’d take the 13th and look around Anchorage.  

Edited by Reagan0712
Moderator please delete. Don’t know it posted twice.

22 minutes ago, Reagan0712 said:

Vancouver and Seattle ports are closed to cruise ships until at least  July. HAL needs to cancel the Alaska cruise’s at least until July and stop messing with their customers. A lot of people are without jobs and probably need the refunds ASAP, 60 -90 days is just pitiful. I’m looking for 12 thousand back and I’m starting to feel I will never see it from HAL. I guess you can say I’m not drinking the HAL koolade  anymore. 

• Like 1

7 hours ago, mkkao924 said:

Really disappointed that they conveniently avoid Alaska cruise before July 1st. Such a snail reaction considered Canada has announce port close for two weeks.

I agree.  We cancelled our May 26 alaska cruise and aren't getting 100%

Contacted HAL via Twitter. Surprisingly, they got back to me rather quickly.  Went back and asked if I’d hear something formal that this Noordam cruise was cancelled.  Haven’t gotten a reply yet.

64F7BF7E-BEFA-447D-9D93-829FABD8261E.jpeg

Edited by Reagan0712
Added info.
  • Like 1

5 minutes ago, mainelycruising said:

Does anyone know, if a cruise line declares bankruptcy through cash liquidity issues, where in the line of creditors do those with FCCs stand?

Unsecured creditors at best, if these FCC's have monetary value, which they may or may not. In other words, at the end of the line of creditors, or pretty close.

1 hour ago, Reagan0712 said:

I'm on the Noordam from Seward as well on May 17th, but HAL has cancelled the northbound on May 10, so surely the southbound won't happen. I'm waiting for them to cancel and free up my cash so I can make other plans.

1 minute ago, Wehwalt said:

Unsecured creditors at best, if these FCC's have monetary value, which they may or may not. In other words, at the end of the line of creditors, or pretty close.

I sadly agree with this.  I wasn’t in the bankruptcy business but had enough dealings with them in banking to have a good idea where creditors stand.

2 hours ago, Wehwalt said:

I would hazard a guess they would want to save their customers that if they went into bankruptcy they would force a renegotiation of long and short term debt with their lenders and carve out customers and small vendors, what good does it do them to lose all their customers and food and fuel vendors in all the ports? It's easier to carve out the big debt and term it out under new terms.

The ships and name have significantly less value if current/ former customers wont sail with them, which would kill the lenders.

This isn't 2007-9, the banks want to work with customers, they are expanding credit before the new law was passed (anyway that what my business banker told me last week) and he told me today that they would have guidance on SBA loans in 72 hours and they need a few days to review it. He said they could increase our LOC now if we need it and then do SBA loan if we want, that they won't need any docs as they have all our 2019 FS and taxes and Feb 2020 FS.

The lines definitely have a cash crunch and are managing it but about a week ago I canceled about $900 of HAL online shore excursions and purchases and the money was on my credit  card the next day.

An on subject I will be waiting another few weeks for my May 18 Alaska to be canceled.

A-

Edited by AlanF65
  • Like 1

I definitely feel your pain.  We were booked on the Noordam for May 24 Northbound to Seward, and built a whole independent land tour on the other end.  I enjoyed the planning very much, but greatly disappointing that this, almost annual, spring cruise with my nephew will never happen.  This one was special, epic, and very expensive!  Some of the best times in my life were spent on HAL.  I wish they would just cancel Alaska until July 1st, since they know "Dam" well that this cruise is not going to happen.  Out of 14 bookings on the land tour end of this trip, I got 14 full refunds already.  I fully expect the same from HAL, though I know they are hurting.  Most people are. Even my own job has been called into question.

I have a whopper of a flight credit from United, and finally enough FFM with American to take me almost anywhere, but have no plans at all.  All of this became possible within the last year or so. Very disconcerting for a travel addict and a serious HAL devotee approaching the 3rd star, but a decade shy of retirement. Like a swiftly moving skiff that suddenly looses it's oar, I am adrift, and suddenly without any travel plans. Right now my central purpose is at a big regional hospital and the people it serves.

Perhaps if I do have spare time I will grow a garden for the first time in 10 years, see my family in Georgia for a change, or revisit the Outer Banks some 20 years later in the year. All that wont keep me from dreaming of the 12-Day Mediterranean Empires cruise round-trip from Venice to Turkey and back, or completing this most excellent Alaska trip. Here is to happier days on on the other side of this!

• Like 1

41 minutes ago, saltshell said:

Ok, I'm  a bit confused, blame it on social isolation. If I pay for port charges and taxes that are now void, why wouldn't that be refundable? Have I missed something here?

It is refundable.  Ours will be credited to the credit card we used for the booking. It's just taking awhile, as everything else is.

5 hours ago, dave34 said:

Vancouver and Seattle ports are closed to cruise ships until at least  July.

The Port of Seattle expects to delay the launch of the cruise season not to a date certain, but until "resolution of the public health emergency."  https://www.portseattle.org/news/port-seattle-expects-delay-start-2020-cruise-season

6 hours ago, AlanF65 said:

I would hazard a guess they would want to save their customers that if they went into bankruptcy they would force a renegotiation of long and short term debt with their lenders and carve out customers and small vendors, what good does it do them to lose all their customers and food and fuel vendors in all the ports? It's easier to carve out the big debt and term it out under new terms.

The ships and name have significantly less value if current/ former customers wont sail with them, which would kill the lenders.

They might. Or they might give ten cents on the dollar in coupons. My point was they don't have to stand behind them in bankruptcy. And given that CCL's major asset is foreign-flagged ships, it might be difficult to free up funds to pay off the passengers. 

I would not expect public opinion in the US to support the passengers. Go read the comments on any article on Zaandam open for comments in the media.

Edited by Wehwalt