Would you make final payment?

jonthomas

1 hour ago, jonthomas said:

You are right of course. But if I sit here and only think of the tragedy of all the loss, it will help no one and only deepen the abyss of my already depressive state. 

I am grateful for the small distraction here, where for a few seconds I am able to think of some measly, inconsequential  few dollars that may be lost, rather than lives. 

47 minutes ago, CintiPam said:

I am sure that comment was not directed at you but rather to someone who posts daily in multiple Oceania threads, including this one, about the same topic of her future Oceania cruise over and over and over.  JMO.

Yes, CintiPam is correct.  We all worry about our financial losses, and should.  We should also try to minimize them and seek the information we need to understand the process  to help in that regard.  That's what you have been doing.  But some others obsess over them ad nauseum.

Edited by 1985rz1
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

15 minutes ago, jonthomas said:

I am grateful to you for pointing that out. I gave only a cursory glance to the second page, focussing on the first page only. 

you are  not alone

many people do not read the fine print until the S**T hit the fan

You at least asked the question early & can escape  unscathed hopefully

many others  just put the blinders on then cry foul when things do not turn out in their favour

I just get frustrated sometimes  &  should  stay off  CC 😁

been in lock down too long 😷

• Like 2

27 minutes ago, LHT28 said:

you are  not alone

many people do not read the fine print until the S**T hit the fan

You at least asked the question early & can escape  unscathed hopefully

many others  just put the blinders on then cry foul when things do not turn out in their favour

👍

10 minutes ago, Jack1 said:

If a person cancels a cruise before final payment can they rebook the same cruise at a later date? 

Yes - provided there is space and the rebooking would be at whatever new price and benefits are regardless of what the original booking offered

On 3/30/2020 at 7:48 PM, Paulchili said:

Yes - provided there is space and the rebooking would be at whatever new price and benefits are regardless of what the original booking offered

Do not think that space will be a problem in the near future.  Will be tough to fill up ships for at least the next year or so I think. 

We had a July 6, 2020 cruise date .Called our TA last week to cancel,before April 7 final payment.

There were 3 travelers in my family and we were reimbursed for the total amount of the deposit.

We will cruise again!

24 minutes ago, sail57 said:

We had a July 6, 2020 cruise date .Called our TA last week to cancel,before April 7 final payment.

There were 3 travelers in my family and we were reimbursed for the total amount of the deposit.

We will cruise again!

We were booked on that same cruise. We cancelled about a week or so ago. Did not want to make that final payment. 

Seems we are in agreement here. Cancelling but hopeful for the future.

When I say future, I am really thinking in a years time. I am also thinking of smaller ships, the mega petri dishes as someone called them , hold no interest for us.

Just had another thought, can you even imagine the ships with lots of kids on board, being stuck due to a coro virus on board, or any other issue. Just one more reason why kids should not be cruise ships. Yeah, I know Ill get flamed for this one. 

Anyone reading the Cruise line default terms in their cruise insurance policy..

Might be time to read it before making any final payments.

I have a big Regent payment in July/Aug and a small one with Oceania in May.

That is one reason why you don't buy insurance from the cruise line (no default protection)

Edited by PaulMCO
  • Like 2

2 hours ago, PaulMCO said:

Anyone reading the Cruise line default terms in their cruise insurance policy..

Might be time to read it before making any final payments.

I have a big Regent payment in July/Aug and a small one with Oceania in May.

That is one reason why you don't buy insurance from the cruise line (no default protection)

We also have a Regent booking with payment due mid June. It is for the cruise down the west coast of Africa. I did read one article where Africa is described as a “ticking time bomb”. We are also booked for August 2021 on Oceania so are hopeful this cruise will go ahead but am doubtful about the Regent one. 

I have a final payment due on Viking around July.  I won't be making it and will cancel.  I can always rebook if times get better.  I'm hoping that Viking extends the final payment due for at least a month or so.  We'll see.

I would not be making any final payments with the world in such uncertainty. 

I am reading several of the Oceania topics lately, & happened to post on one about the very issue discussed above--that penalties actually kick in 1 month prior to final payment...which I think is SNEAKY, without a doubt.  We have an Oceania cruise in Nov, which we will very likely be cancelling in July (121+ days) to get all our $ back, which is why I happened to look at ALL the fine print.  BTW, for Canadians, the amt is CAD $350pp.

Does any other cruise line do this?

1 hour ago, googler55 said:

I am reading several of the Oceania topics lately, & happened to post on one about the very issue discussed above--that penalties actually kick in 1 month prior to final payment...which I think is SNEAKY, without a doubt. 

It is in their Cancellation terms set out in black & white in several places

How is it sneaky?

If people fail read & comprehend  the terms  then that is their problem

JMO

1 minute ago, LHT28 said:

How is it sneaky?

JMO

Agree it is there in black & white, but it is sneaky to me because I would say as far as I know/recall any other cruise I have ever booked for us (>20) only has a penalty kick in at final payment...that is usually the date that sticks in one's mind.

Do any other cruise lines do this?

13 minutes ago, googler55 said:

Do any other cruise lines do this?

You would have to check other lines

just looked at Crystal

WHAT ARE THE CANCELLATION PENALTIES?

From time of deposit until 121 days prior to sailing, if a booking is cancelled, there will be a $500 per guest administration fee which may be applied toward a new booking by Ocean, River or Yacht Expedition within one year from date of cancellation.
If canceled 120-91 days prior to sailing, there is a 25% penalty;
90-61 days prior to sailing, a 50% penalty;
60-31 days prior to sailing, a 75% penalty;
and for cancellations made within 30-0 days of departure date, the penalty is 100%.

Thank you both for your answers.  I was just working on a reply after some checking, & was going to say excluding 6.0 rated cruise lines with which we have no experience, I did not find this policy on the ones we have cruised with:  Celebrity (currently holding a booking for next year, so able to check the invoice), RCI, Princess, HAL, NCL, & only with Oceania with whom we cruised 1 year ago, there may have been a $50USD penalty to cancel 121+ days...certainly not $250USD/$350CAD pp.  And...my main point was that the penalty with Oceania kicks in 1 month prior to final payment!  It's one thing to know you have some sort of penalty as soon as you book, it's another to stick another time frame into the equation.  My thoughts anyway!

20 minutes ago, googler55 said:

with Oceania with whom we cruised 1 year ago, there may have been a $50USD penalty to cancel 121+ days...certainly not $250USD/$350CAD pp.  And...my main point was that the penalty with Oceania kicks in 1 month prior to final payment!  It's one thing to know you have some sort of penalty as soon as you book, it's another to stick another time frame into the equation.  My thoughts anyway!

The  $250/350 admin fee has been around several years now 

10 hours ago, googler55 said:

Thank you both for your answers.  I was just working on a reply after some checking, & was going to say excluding 6.0 rated cruise lines with which we have no experience, I did not find this policy on the ones we have cruised with:  Celebrity (currently holding a booking for next year, so able to check the invoice), RCI, Princess, HAL, NCL, & only with Oceania with whom we cruised 1 year ago, there may have been a $50USD penalty to cancel 121+ days...certainly not $250USD/$350CAD pp.  And...my main point was that the penalty with Oceania kicks in 1 month prior to final payment!  It's one thing to know you have some sort of penalty as soon as you book, it's another to stick another time frame into the equation.  My thoughts anyway!

Agree with you completely. Yes it is my own fault that I did not read their terms carefully, but it certainly means that final payment is really much sooner if you don't want to be penalized. Call it whatever you wish, admin fee, whatever, it is still a penalty. I am just grateful the folks here reminded me to read all the fine print. My knowledge of Oceanias dealings, has certainly grown.

And one more, you can only move the sailing once, without also incurring  a penalty. We have already moved it once, so cancellation is the only option. 

Our cruise is in Dec, final payment is Sept,  so now it is Aug because of the penalty. 

Might as well cancel now. Nothing will be sailing in Dec. 

11 hours ago, LHT28 said:

How is it sneaky?

JMO

Like you say, we just have to read the contract.  Pretty clear.  It also pays to have a good T/A  who should keep track of this kind of stuff. 

22 minutes ago, jonthomas said:

Agree with you completely. Yes it is my own fault that I did not read their terms carefully, but it certainly means that final payment is really much sooner if you don't want to be penalized. Call it whatever you wish, admin fee, whatever, it is still a penalty. I am just grateful the folks here reminded me to read all the fine print. My knowledge of Oceanias dealings, has certainly grown.

And one more, you can only move the sailing once, without also incurring  a penalty. We have already moved it once, so cancellation is the only option. 

Our cruise is in Dec, final payment is Sept,  so now it is Aug because of the penalty. 

Might as well cancel now. Nothing will be sailing in Dec. 

the  final payment is not sooner but the penalty is ...

Many people wait until FP date to cancel  creating cabins the cruise line need to sell in 3 mths sometimes at a discounted rate to fill the ship

Some sailings have a waitlist of those that want to sail but others are holding cabins  while they decide if they will do the cruise or not

So you may have the ADMIN fee withheld from your deposit if you cancel in the time frame listed in there cancellation rules

it can be used on a future cruise wthin the time frame set out in the rules

This was in place long before COVID-19

JMO