When will you cruise again?

bostonfred

Have three cruises booked for 2121 and thinking of canceling all of them...this virus may reappear in fall and cruise ships are not safe places if infected people are onboard. We won’t fell comfortable for a long time on a cruise ship and this is from a cruise lover. When you others jump back in? Stay safe..

We usually only sail every couple of years and just sailed on March 8th.  We were planning a Rome/Paris trip for the summer that is cancelled again for the second year in a row.  We were thinking about replacing it with another cruise this year.  Carnival is the first to offer deals to sail again and I am temped to book a late summer deal to see how this plays out.  If it gets cancelled then I would just get a refund.  

We don't know what this is going to look like in the next couple of months.  It could be a lot worse or it could start to clear up.  John Hopkins researchers have found the the fatty outer layer breaks down in heat and humidity and makes it a lot harder to transmit between people.  

There may also be individual circumstances that would influence whether a certain person would be ready to cruise again.  Given the lack of testing, many right now may currently have the virus or already had it a couple of weeks ago but don't know it.  Logically, in the immediate future many people will catch a (hopefully mild or asymptomatic!) case of this, fully recover and (probably) be immune afterwards.  If you should turn out to be in that group then you can no longer either catch it or spread it.  Logically,  people in the "recovered/immune" group would have no reason not to travel or go on a cruise.

9 minutes ago, Travelling2Some said:

There may also be individual circumstances that would influence whether a certain person would be ready to cruise again.  Given the lack of testing, many right now may currently have the virus or already had it a couple of weeks ago but don't know it.  Logically, in the immediate future many people will catch a (hopefully mild or asymptomatic!) case of this, fully recover and (probably) be immune afterwards.  If you should turn out to be in that group then you can no longer either catch it or spread it.  Logically,  people in the "recovered/immune" group would have no reason not to travel or go on a cruise.

Non of this is proven yet.   It’s all speculation so far till more tests are done and proven.  

For me.   I’ll cruise again.  

I had a may2 alaska cruise that just canceled today.    
I also have a January 2021 cruise book with RC.  That I’m now gonna book a B2B using this FCC and 20%.  

hubby & I are at higher risk due to underlying medical conditions. Our medical insurance isn't valid if we travel to a country that Canada has under travel advisory - right now, the whole world! Therefore we will not consider any travel out of Canada for the foreseeable future, made the decision to cancel our Sept 2020 cruise today (not happy with the refund policy for our April 2020 cruise). We don't have any other trips booked.

My concern is if they will close the Manhattan Cruise Terminal, as well as (already closed Kings Wharf. Bermuda. ) Right now? Forget it. We are booked July 5, 2020. Encore to Bermuda.

USNS Comfort is docked, thankfully at Pier 90.

Never mind the cruise...getting out to buy eggs,milk,bread,etc etc is really FUN.

Getting laid off from my job, not so much. Never applied for unemployment in my life. Fun times.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

1 hour ago, Ptroxx said:

Non of this is proven yet.   It’s all speculation so far till more tests are done and proven.  

Totally agree.  Any answer to this question is speculation at this point.  I certainly did not mean to suggest otherwise.  Only time will tell what situations will arise.  I might say that I fully expect to get this virus sooner or later in spite of being a diligent social distancer.  We are a large family living in the same house and some of my immediate family members are essential personnel who go out to work each day.  So I rather tend to think in terms of "when", not "if" being realistic about it.

Edited by Travelling2Some
addition

We were supposed to be on the Escape right now ( 😢 ), so we have been looking into using our FCC to book a replacement. I know NCL was generous enough to give us until 2022 to use it, but the airline is not being as generous. Therefore, we have to travel by the end of the year or we lose our airfare. My sister waited too long to book theirs and paid double what she normally would have, so she definitely doesn't want to forfeit that much money. Because of the airfare issue, we are booking the Breakaway for November 29, 2020. I'm hoping things are better by then...

4 hours ago, Georgia_Peaches said:

Thanks.  This question has been asked a lot lately.  For me it will be as soon as it's deemed safe to do so.  I certainly hope I don't have to wait until 2121 😉.

By who’s standard deemed safe.  NCL said it was safe to sail on our March 8th cruise yet while we were gone they declared a pandemic.

24 minutes ago, Petoonya said:

Was to be on Oceania Regatta 4/14/20 Tahiti that's cancelled. Rebooked same 4/4/21, and like everyone else says- mayhaps.

Hopefully, we will see you onboard. We are booked on this cruise, our first on Oceania, as well as the one after: Papeete to San Francisco. 

4 hours ago, bostonfred said:

Have three cruises booked for 2121 and thinking of canceling all of them...this virus may reappear in fall and cruise ships are not safe places if infected people are onboard. We won’t fell comfortable for a long time on a cruise ship and this is from a cruise lover. When you others jump back in? Stay safe..

After 25 cruises i think i am done.  We sailed march 8th and it was our worse one to date.  Fearing what was unfolding as i checked the news daily. Worrying we would possibly be denied getting off the ship. So many on our cruise had spent time in New Orleans before the trip.

what sorta hit me was while in Roatán we watched from our balcony as an ambulance picked up one of our passengers. I thought to myself i never want to be in a hospital in any of the places we go. Call me stupid for thinking or worrying about this but i am not interested in that at all. Then we hear about  security guard with a face mask on outside a cabin. I saw with my own eyes crew in O’Sheehan’s and Moderno cough in their hand and continue on. We walked out of Moderno for this reason.

maybe i will rethink cruising but i think i will just be happy to do trips in the good ole USA from here on out.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, MamaFej said:

Hopefully, we will see you onboard. We are booked on this cruise, our first on Oceania, as well as the one after: Papeete to San Francisco. 

Well- so nice to meet you! Hopefully when there is some hope with coronavirus one of us can start a roll call 🙂  I'm only booked for the 18 day Papeete-SF on April 4. Have done Oceania and Tahiti many times- also did Oceania Sirena, Papeete-SF three years ago. Let's hope to heaven about COVID-19 and keep fingers crossed for our cruise. You're going to LOVE O!

It will be a long time for me.  I have cruised over 30 times and it has been our travel choice for the last 6 years since we retired( cruised over 400 days in that time), but  I might be done now.  We are pretty young, 50"s, and healthy, but I am thinking I don't like what I have seen recently.  I only cruise for the ports, so missing ports would be a no go for me.  

Luckily we had a spectacular farewell cruise on the Jewel in November 2019, 30 day South Pacific, best yet....and the first time on a cruise neither of us got sick!!!   At least we went out with a bang!!  

Cheers and happy sailing to everyone!!