Private tour for Sicily and Naples

AF-1

Hello everyone.  How much time do you recommend to tour Sicily and Naples.  The tours I am looking at range from 4 hrs to 8 hrs.  I am a person who can get bored with sightseeing after four hours; however when I did a private tour in Rome we spent 8 hours and it went by so quick that I was never bored.  Thanks for any help;  Those who have toured both Naples and Sicily I appreciate any feedback.  We dock in Messina.  We are in port from 7am-6pm.  We go to Sicily first and next day Naples and next day Rome.  

Edited by AF-1

We had no problem with an 8 hour tour in Naples. I think Is aw you went to Pompeii (we did Pompeii) before...would you do Herculeum this time? Then we went to Sorrento for a few hours, then down the Amalfi coast for a while.

Messina, we walked around town for awhile as nothing interested us, and we were also going to visit Trapani later in our cruise.

Guidebooks don't rate Messina very highly, as born out by @CruiserBruce's experience.  Taormina and Mt. Etna are nearby and worth many more stars than Messina itself.  You can probably find a day trip that does both [or better yet take an excursion from your ship to make sure you are onboard before they sail].

Host. I am planning a ships tour.  Princess offers private car for two or four people;  so I plan on doing a private sedan for my wife and myself.  Just trying to figure if I need four our eight hours.  They offer both.  That way we can design the day any way we want;   Have time for lunch and we have guarantee for ship return because we are using the ships shore excursion.  They offer private in Sicily, Naples, and Rome

2 hours ago, AF-1 said:

CruiserBruce;  so do you think four hours in Messina would be good for a private tour

So-so. If that is your only stop on Sicily, it depends on your interests. You could so some serious tours, depending on your interests. 

42 minutes ago, AF-1 said:

CruiserBruce;  I will figure something out.  Still have six months till we cruise

For a planner like me, this seems like putting the cart before the horse. How can we tell you the amount of time needed without knowing what you plan to do? Wouldn't it be better to investigate the options, consider what interests you, see how much time it would take and then plan how long to rent a car?

I travel for the itinerary and ports, so for me, I'd spend every minute ashore that I could. However, I am also not one to get private transport unless there is no other good option.

• Like 1

cruisemom42;  I understand where you are coming from. My wife and I plan to visit Taramonia, and the Godfather area;  that's it.  We have no desire to drive to Mr. Etna, other threads I've read say Messina does not have that much to offer.  So that is about it, those two places; oh and find a good place that makes pizza.

• 2 weeks later...

We spent 2 1/2 weeks in Sicily.  We did not even bother going to Messina.   We drove to Mt. Etna years ago.  Last time we decided that it was not worth the effort.

Sicily is a very large island.  Pick one area and spend some quality time there.

Edited by iancal