My agent told me Carnival wont cruise till at least August.

LongHill44

10 minutes ago, Organized Chaos said:

That test gives positive results in 5 minutes, but takes 13 minutes to give a negative result. That means if 5 minutes went by and it didn't give a positive result, you'd still have to wait the 13 minutes for every passenger in order to get the negative result. It's simply not feasible to administer a 5 minute test to thousands of passengers, let alone 13 minutes. Besides, like someone else said, if you get a positive result, that means everyone around that person is exposed.

Plus you’ll need the proper staffing and kits to efficiently test everyone. If not, you’ll just create a huge bottleneck.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, reeinaz said:

Stay at home orders mean nothing if they're not enforced.

Virginia and D.C. have already announced that people will get fined or go to jail for violating their stay-at-home orders.

Florida has set up checkpoints at certain locations along their border in an attempt to stop people from Louisiana & NY from entering the state. They've also set up at some of their airports. I don't blame them, though, because thousands are flowing into FL from NYC and LA, two major hot spots, and you know many of them are bringing the virus with them.

I'm not a proponent of martial law-like conditions in the U.S., but something needs to be done to get these hot spots in check, because obviously what they're doing isn't working.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, glrounds said:

I hope this all gets sorted out as soon as possible. I just booked the PANORAMA again for August 15th. So cheap, I couldn't let that one go by. Loved her the first time. Now all this 80-year-old has to worry about is staying alive 'til then. 😰

You probably still have a lot of years left {{{hugs}}}.  I have an uncle well into his 80's who has had chronic health issues for at least a decade or more, my grandparents on the other side were in their mid-90's when they passed (and my Aunt was shocked because they were still "young"), there is a poster on other threads who is in his 90's too.  

80 is the new 60, right 😉 

• Like 2

August is a pretty reasonable date -- Given how Florida is treating the two HAL ships (with US citizens on board), and the fact that I am 65, I personally am not going on any cruises until we have a vaccine or proven treatment.   I'm not risk adverse, but there are more important things than cruising- at least to me.

I also don't trust CCL or any other line. It's to their advantage to get you to book, and if they cancel for another month, the FCC is your money they are holding, especially if you paid in full ..

• Like 2

We rebooked for June 7 with our TA. This is literally the first time we have used one, and I’m so happy we did. My friend didn’t and she was on hold for over 2 hours then finally got disconnected. I just told mine what we wanted and she’s taking care of everything. I hope they are able to resume by June, but if not, I’ll start worrying about our September cruise to the British Isles with Princess. I’m optimistically hopeful right now. It’s all we have to look forward too. 

21 hours ago, elcuchio24 said:

you do understand its not a US company, and does not pay US taxes...correct?

It's crazy how many times I've seen this. Let me put it into perspective.

On my last cruise, I flew down to the port, I took an Uber to my hotel, I stayed in a hotel, went to the store and bought some items, went to a few restaurants and bars, bought more Ubers. All of that spending was even before I hit the ship. Then I went to the ship where there was officers, Carnival port crew, longshoremen, and other roles. The ship is loaded with local supplies and food. The port authority managed our departure.

Now imagine absolutely none of this goes on because I am forced to stay at home. How many people are out of work? And yes, the government collects even less taxes because of it.

• Like 2

9 hours ago, Organized Chaos said:

First, I'd just like to say that I wished forum moderators would create one giant "Post your speculations here" thread. We have multiple threads talking about it, plus it's constantly brought up in other threads. None of us know anything. This whole mess is ever-changing. It's changing by the week, by the day, and in some cases, by the hour. We don't know where we'll be in 30-60-90 days, so I think it's pointless to sit around and speculate all day, every day as to when they'll resume cruising.

For a change of pace, let's speculate on when the CC Carnival forum will get back to some semblance of normality. I understand there are no cruises right now, but there doesn't really need to be in order to talk about cruising. I think it'd do us all a world of good to take a break from the covid-19 talk for a while. That's why I think it'd be a good idea to loosen the "stay on topic" policy for a while and let us have some regular conversations, because everyone's going stir crazy.

There's been a few comments about the initial April return date that Carnival gave, almost as if to say they were wrong to do it. Like I said above, this situation changes regularly. No one could have predicted a few weeks ago what was to come. Nor do they know for sure what's to come once we reach their new May 11th date. In Carnival's defense, that initial return date was more than likely based on governmental guidelines that were set when this whole mess kicked off. It wasn't just Carnival. Governmental bodies all over the country were setting dates in early April to return back to normal. The announcement to close our schools came on 3/16. They were only set to be closed from 3/17 - 3/30. The same dates applied to our restaurants and bars. At the time, they simply didn't know it was getting worse. Only three short days later, our Gov. announced the stay-at-home order, but even that was only initially set to last until 4/7. Now that it's been extended, even that is for one more month. Then they'll re-evaluate, just like Carnival, the other lines, and everyone else who's going through this. You can't fault Carnival for doing this a month, or about a month & a half, at a time.

Hope for the best, but prepare for the worst.

We have a couple of off topic, Carnival and not Carnival -specific, topics now -- Memory Lane comes to mind! And the virtual cruise on Vista.  I have tried to be more lenient with posts not on topic but it's up to you guys to remain respectful, not interject rants or bicker in these threads. 

This is a community and I would love to see every one step back from all that's going on in the world and enjoy the escape here on CC without dissension. It's going to be a long month with most states in stay at home status. We're all in this together

Carolyn

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

28 minutes ago, Host Carolyn said:

We have a couple of off topic, Carnival and not Carnival -specific, topics now -- Memory Lane comes to mind! And the virtual cruise on Vista.  I have tried to be more lenient with posts not on topic but it's up to you guys to remain respectful, not interject rants or bicker in these threads. 

This is a community and I would love to see every one step back from all that's going on in the world and enjoy the escape here on CC without dissension. It's going to be a long month with most states in stay at home status. We're all in this together

Carolyn

You are correct I all fronts esp the long month

3 hours ago, acsxfan1 said:

August is a pretty reasonable date -- Given how Florida is treating the two HAL ships (with US citizens on board), and the fact that I am 65, I personally am not going on any cruises until we have a vaccine or proven treatment.   I'm not risk adverse, but there are more important things than cruising- at least to me.

I also don't trust CCL or any other line. It's to their advantage to get you to book, and if they cancel for another month, the FCC is your money they are holding, especially if you paid in full ..

3 hours ago, MRVEGAS711 said:

I wouldn't book a thing until the ships are sailing again. The risk of Bankruptsy is high and poof, your money disappears.

Yes, I also considered the bankruptcy angle, c'mon $239 pp for a week on the newest Carnival ship (I've already cruised her once), I couldn't pass that up. My favorite itinerary, I've done this one a bazillion times, know just where to go, might even take my ex wife again.

Edited by glrounds

3 hours ago, MRVEGAS711 said:

I wouldn't book a thing until the ships are sailing again. The risk of Bankruptsy is high and poof, your money disappears.

The Carnival Corp isn't going anywhere any time soon. If things got real bad, they could shutter some of their smaller lines to save expenses. 

12 minutes ago, glrounds said:

, I've done this one a bazillion times, know just where to go, might even take my ex wife again.

U r desparate then....

Edited by jimbo5544
  • Haha 2

On 4/1/2020 at 8:52 AM, glrounds said:

Yes, I also considered the bankruptcy angle, c'mon $239 pp for a week on the newest Carnival ship (I've already cruised her once), I couldn't pass that up. My favorite itinerary, I've done this one a bazillion times, know just where to go, might even take my ex wife again.

But have you gone to Gordo Lele’s in Cabo for his tacos yet? My very favorite place.

Which week did you get this price? Might be time to book the Panorama.

7 hours ago, crzndeb said:

But have you gone to Gordo Lele’s in Cabo for his tacos yet? My very favorite place.

Which week did you get this price? Might be time to book the Panorama.

Don't remember Gordo Lele's unless it's that great little restaurant right on the malecon. Two fish tacos with a mound of guacamole for $1.50 and $1 beer ! Can't beat it.😊

It is the week of August 15th to the 22nd. (Saturday to Saturday - no traffic) It wasn't on Carnival's site and it was originally $234 but for $5 more I got to pick my own inside cabin location. All those great 1As with the porthole were gone so I got a great one near the elevators (back problems) and the aft so I can just zip "up" to the buffet, the aft bar and pool and the vaping deck. TMI, I know I know. I use this site a lot as they have a special part of their service for cruisers that have cancelled their cruises just before penalty, I assume. With your experience I'm sure you know exactly who I am talking about. I booked this a week ago and I noticed today the price had jumped another $100 (still a bargain). Good luck. 😄

On 4/1/2020 at 9:55 AM, jimbo5544 said:

You are correct I all fronts esp the long month

I have a feeling that a long month is going to be longer than just a month no matter what happens. If things aren’t getting better after a month, I can see continuing the stay at home with even more restrictions. If things get better after a month, I can see continuing the stay at home because it is working and continuing it will lead to even better results. I never thought I would see something impact day to day life more than 9/11 in my lifetime, but obviously I was wrong about that. 

• Like 2

3 hours ago, PhillyFan33579 said:

I have a feeling that a long month is going to be longer than just a month no matter what happens. If things aren’t getting better after a month, I can see continuing the stay at home with even more restrictions. If things get better after a month, I can see continuing the stay at home because it is working and continuing it will lead to even better results. I never thought I would see something impact day to day life more than 9/11 in my lifetime, but obviously I was wrong about that. 

It is a somber time for sure.  You might be right, I hope not. Chin up

Edited by jimbo5544

On 4/1/2020 at 7:37 AM, MRVEGAS711 said:

We always buy travel insurance that cover default of the provider so the cruie I have booked is covered but I agree I would not book a new one at this point. 

4 hours ago, Purvis1231 said:

We always buy travel insurance that cover default of the provider so the cruie I have booked is covered but I agree I would not book a new one at this point. 

Insurance coverage for pandemic is continually being modified by providers.   Just something to continue and watch. 

2 hours ago, jimbo5544 said:

Insurance coverage for pandemic is continually being modified by providers.   Just something to continue and watch. 

The insurance I was referring to covers if a provider (ie- cruise line) goes bankrupt then the insurance would cover the loss. I bought my policy two years ago so it will cover it. I did call to check with them. 

1 hour ago, jimbo5544 said:

Well, based upon this, it looks like someone is starting in May,  Used to be the Carnival Celebration, our very first cruise back in 96.

https://www.cruiseindustrynews.com/cruise-news/22735-bahamas-paradise-plans-mother-s-day-start.html

Good news- I hope it will happen. It is a nice ship, I have sailed on it.