Celebrity Restrictions

B113

Why would I book another cruise with Celebrity when I’m 70 with an underlying condition. They are still showing conditions that have nothing to do with covid 19.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

Just now, B113 said:

Why would I book another cruise with Celebrity when I’m 70 with an underlying condition. They are still showing conditions that have nothing to do with covid 19.

You would not unless you have an argument to otherwise?

Especially if you or others may do not agree with their policy on boarding.

I support you in your decision to abandon the cruise line.

bon voyage

• Like 5
  • Haha 1

I'm sure I'm one of many who would like to know what your post is about!

1. You booked one cruise, what's to say that once this mess is over, you won't book another?

2. What 'conditions' are you talking about? Surely they'd be the same WITHOUT the Covid-19 situation!

3. Given everything that's going on, are Celebrity supposed to automatically know your age and health?

4. Are you saying Celebrity in particular or ANY cruise/line?

5. Don't let the door...

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, B113 said:

These conditions are those which will result in serious issues if one DOES contact CV19...such as heart, kidney, lung especially, etc...I believe it's in our best interests not to sail with these problems as long as CV19 is as strong a problem as it is now (and maybe in the near future).  In time, with less cases and perhaps an antidote, these health issues won't prevent sailing IMHO and the doctor condition will be removed.  I'm sure the cruise lines understand seniors are their bread and butter and the reason seniors with some of these health issues sail is because it's one of the best and safest way for us to travel. 

Edited by oceangoer2
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 1

Maybe the better question is why would you book a cruise with any line right now if you are 70+ with health concerns?  With or without the restrictions, I would think the best judge on whether or not to book a cruise lies with you.  My parents are in their 70's and have a cruise booked for December.  Not sure what the restrictions will be by then but I rely on them to decide if they are fit to travel and/or meet the travel guidelines for seniors regardless of the posted restrictions.  Just a thought...

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, B113 said:

After visiting my doctor today will share a reply that answers your comment.  You (meaning me) do not have COVID and being very healthy I see no reason for you to not volunteer your time.  Susan (wife), you however, were recently treated for cancer, take medication for high blood pressure and asthma.  Any of those could result in a higher possibility of death if you contracted the COVID virus.  Please stay home or away from people.

When COVID is gone so will the doctor's note.  I do not think you understand the current situation.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

We are in our 70's and I have diabetes and am subject to Asthma and Bronchitis.  We have two cruises booked late Jan. 2021 and late August 2021.  Cruise lines know your age as it is entered on your booking (for any senior discounts).  I am not going to fuss about this new restriction now as who knows what the future brings.  I'll cancel if need by just before final payment is due the end of October.

• Like 3

I wonder how they would handle FCC that people, such as myself, have  who fall into the 70 + category of preexisting conditions  if those requirements are enforced?  I have a medical condition that is well controlled by medications and during a recent physical my dr. said there is no reason why I couldn't live another 20 years!! That being said I would never ask him or expect him  to sign the necessary paperwork  So many things will need to be ironed out going forth in terms of cruise lines. 

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, gailellen12 said:

I wonder how they would handle FCC that people, such as myself, have  who fall into the 70 + category of preexisting conditions  if those requirements are enforced?  I have a medical condition that is well controlled by medications and during a recent physical my dr. said there is no reason why I couldn't live another 20 years!! That being said I would never ask him or expect him  to sign the necessary paperwork  So many things will need to be ironed out going forth in terms of cruise lines. 

This is the big question mark  what happens to all those  thousands of dollars in FCCs, if the  current med authorization will be required for those who can't obtain them.  Was not required when we booked! Will it be refunded if boarding is denied or impossible???????

Edited by hcat
  • Like 4

We have three cabins booked back to back for our family on the Infinity over Christmas and New Years. 
My father is 81 and a diabetic. His doctor will not approve him to cruise. We can take Celebrity's reply for what it is. 

fittocruise.JPG

• Like 1

Yesterday's CDC MMWR Early Release was a preliminary look at risk factors, with the admission that the data is very preliminary and incomplete. MMWR is a quick publication for the public health community. It's not a good document to read if you're not in the business as it's short, technical, and contains no real lay person explanation. BUT...

This is the first sentence of the discussion. "It is not yet known whether the severity or level of control of underlying health conditions affects the risk for severe disease associated with COVID-19." If that holds then the  primary care/travel medicine communities will be hard pressed to approve cruising for anyone with any of those conditions, no matter how controlled (and that would include me, even though I'm under the age group).

MMWR

1 hour ago, gailellen12 said:

I believe if we would just read the FAQ's at X's website concerning this, many questions would be answered vs ALL/any speculation on being denied boarding due to age or 'chronic' diseases etc...

... and, I Am aware, as others need to be, that this information is subject to change at any time for any reason.

In health and bon voyage

Edited by Bo1953
  • Like 2

I took Celebrity's new "if you are over 70 and have..." waiver to my wife's pulmenologist today when she went for her check up to see if he would sign off on for something in the future. " NO way. They are asking me to certify that you don't have any of the diseases listed" "you have asthma. it is well controlled and you are doing great but you have it and that is their question so no I can't sign it". So will we never sail on Celebrity again? Will they adjust this waiver to something reasonable? Pretty much answers the question about do I take the FCC bonus or the cash when our May 18 cruise is cancelled in a few weeks.
I have my own check ups in April and I will talk to my docs then but I am assuming they won't sign off on it either and I can't say that I cannot blame them.  If Celebrity wants us to come back they need to adjust that waiver.  There is a world of difference between having a condition and having it well controlled so you can live life.  
  • Like 4

1 minute ago, Mr. Click said:

There is a world of difference between having a condition and having it well controlled so you can live life.  

See post #13. Unfortunately, the data don't support that yet for COVID-19. They may at some point, but they don't at this point.

3 minutes ago, markeb said:

See post #13. Unfortunately, the data don't support that yet for COVID-19. They may at some point, but they don't at this point.

I was not referring, thinking about the current situation, I was looking into the future.  An Oct 2020 booking we currently have and a May 2021 booking we are looking at to replace our May 2020 cruise that we will not be taking.

If my husbands doctor would not sign the “fit to cruise” form, we definitely would not think of cruising.   We had a cruise scheduled for April, now canceled, and we did go to his doctor with the form.   In my husband’s current state of health the Doctor said he would not hesitate to sign the form.    We will now, however, comeback to see in in October for our end of the month cruise.

B113:  I'm confused.  You claim to have an "underlying (medical) condition" but says it has no relation to COVID-19.  The issue with this virus is that it exacerbates your "underlying condition" potentially making it life threatening.  What don't you understand about the relationship?  Why are you blaming Celebrity for your "underlying condition?"  This is CLIA guidance to their association.

Edited by Ride-The-Waves
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

37 minutes ago, Mr. Click said:

I was not referring, thinking about the current situation, I was looking into the future.  An Oct 2020 booking we currently have and a May 2021 booking we are looking at to replace our May 2020 cruise that we will not be taking.

Hoping for the best for you.

"Current" to me is COVID-19 as long as it's a health risk in the cruise industry, and any serious analysis of data is a year or more in the future. So if what's emerging is we don't know if control matters, without that serious analysis, I think you see more physicians interpreting the fit to cruise literally.

Well controlled risk factors that don't have to consider COVID-19 are probably going to be treated as well controlled risk factors.

Edited by markeb
Reworded a bad sentence.

16 minutes ago, markeb said:

Hoping for the best for you.

"Current" to me is COVID-19 as long as it's a health risk in the cruise industry, and any serious analysis of data is a year or more in the future. So if what's emerging is we don't know if control matters, without that serious analysis, I think you see more physicians interpreting the fit to cruise literally.

Well controlled risk factors that don't have to consider COVID-19 are probably going to be treated as well controlled risk factors.

Thanks.  We have decided to skip the May trip, just waiting on a change to get our cash back and cancelled July at final payment. Just too many risks  even without this issue.  October we will deal with in July when final payment comes up then.

here is a link to the actual form on their web site.  Under current conditions if I was my doctor I wouldn't want me sailing on any cruise.  All of my numbers are great and I keep up with my regular check ups and meds.  There are no restrictions on what I can and cannot do from a medical stand point.  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

@Mr. Click @markeb You may be interested to know that there is a recent preliminary warning that Covid-19 may be more serious for people with high blood pressure who control it, as I do, with Atacand (generic Candesartan). They do not know the connection or whether it is just a significant correlation, but suggested that it is related to the medicine, not just the underlying HBP.

They cautioned that there is no correlation suggested that it causes greater susceptibility to getting infected, only a more severe experience if infected. THEY DO NOT WANT ANYONE TO STOP TAKING IT. But they tell anyone taking it to absolutely inform their doctors if they suspect they may be coming down with it.

Anyway, with so little known still about how the virus affects various conditions, this warning tells me that there is great danger in assuming that if some condition is under control the warnings should not apply.

Trying to find the link to that info and will post when I do. As stated, very preliminary.

• Thanks 1

This is another 70+ thread.  Same discussion as the long one before it on the doctor's note.  Maybe they should be merged?  The situation will IMO change once COVID-19 is gone.  Cruise lines will not unnecessarily prevent their revenue stream from this important passenger base to go away.  So what should you do if you are over 70 (or any age) and unhealthy enough that the risk of exposure to Coronavirus or Influenza or any other circulating pathogen on a cruise might be life threatening?  That is a very personal decision. It is different consideration from with what a cruise line allows or requires for boarding.

Edited by TeeRick
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

21 hours ago, mayleeman said:

@Mr. Click @markeb You may be interested to know that there is a recent preliminary warning that Covid-19 may be more serious for people with high blood pressure who control it, as I do, with Atacand (generic Candesartan). They do not know the connection or whether it is just a significant correlation, but suggested that it is related to the medicine, not just the underlying HBP.

They cautioned that there is no correlation suggested that it causes greater susceptibility to getting infected, only a more severe experience if infected. THEY DO NOT WANT ANYONE TO STOP TAKING IT. But they tell anyone taking it to absolutely inform their doctors if they suspect they may be coming down with it.

Anyway, with so little known still about how the virus affects various conditions, this warning tells me that there is great danger in assuming that if some condition is under control the warnings should not apply.

Trying to find the link to that info and will post when I do. As stated, very preliminary.

Yes, so little is known it is pretty scary so even though I am feeling find now, getting solid reports on my check  ups thre is no way I would head out on a cruise now if they were going.  I was thinking far head, to July when final payment comes due on our October cruise.  I won't make that payment if this Fit to Travel is still in effect . I will just bail on the small deposit and then worry about the Panama Canal in 2021......and there i s just no way that I can book a cruse with anyone as long as this is in effect. Not complaining, just being real.  I am already looking at the possibility of doing Iceiand and maybe Ireland ou our own as a land and air trip in 2021.

• Like 1