Which ships are expected to be the last to complete their itineraries?

Jaxweb

Are there any ships with long itineraries that departed shortly before the suspensions started that are expected to dock at their final ports even later than the ones in the news such as the Zaandam?

Are there any super long world cruises in progress that are still a long way from completion?

Edited by Jaxweb

1 hour ago, Essiesmom said:

Queen Mary 2, Arcadia, both sailing around Africa to Southampton.  Pacific Princess, sailing from Australia via Honolulu.  I believe there is another coming through HI but can't remember who.  EM

I just found  a news article about this.

https://www.businessinsider.com/cruise-ships-still-at-sea-as-coronavirus-cancels-new-sailings-2020-3#ms-zaandam-1

I'm surprised ships are still not finishing their trips until mid April.

Viking has a ship that was on its World Cruise.  8 passengers still aboard as it leaves the Suez Canal and heads to the Mediterranean.  These 8 passengers are Canadians, who weren’t allowed to board the charter flight out of Dubai which repatriated the other 80 or so US passengers.  (Most of the passengers got out on Emirates before they ceased operations; Viking chartered a plane for the rest.  At the last minute, the 8 Canadians were denied entry into the US on the charter, so have continued on with the ship.). From all accounts from the passengers on board, they are in great spirits, everyone is healthy - there was no illness on board at any time - and each day is a new part of the adventure as Viking works with various port authorities to determine where they’ll finally disembark.  (The original world cruise was scheduled to end, I believe in early May.)

• Like 1

21 hours ago, aungrl said:

Viking has a ship that was on its World Cruise.  8 passengers still aboard as it leaves the Suez Canal and heads to the Mediterranean.  These 8 passengers are Canadians, who weren’t allowed to board the charter flight out of Dubai which repatriated the other 80 or so US passengers.  (Most of the passengers got out on Emirates before they ceased operations; Viking chartered a plane for the rest.  At the last minute, the 8 Canadians were denied entry into the US on the charter, so have continued on with the ship.). From all accounts from the passengers on board, they are in great spirits, everyone is healthy - there was no illness on board at any time - and each day is a new part of the adventure as Viking works with various port authorities to determine where they’ll finally disembark.  (The original world cruise was scheduled to end, I believe in early May.)

If that's Viking Sea, she was heading to Gibraltar, but then I noticed she was anchored outside for a couple of days. I've just found her on marinetraffic, out of the Med,  heading to Lisbon. 

3 hours ago, jocap said:

If that's Viking Sea, she was heading to Gibraltar, but then I noticed she was anchored outside for a couple of days. I've just found her on marinetraffic, out of the Med,  heading to Lisbon. 

I believe it’s the Sun that’s completing the World Cruise.

• Thanks 1

What about that ship that was in Australia.  I can't remember where the cruise was supposed to end.  All but 2 of the passengers left the ship to go home.  Two of the passengers can not fly so they are the only 2 passengers on the ship.

DON

10 hours ago, donaldsc said:

What about that ship that was in Australia.  I can't remember where the cruise was supposed to end.  All but 2 of the passengers left the ship to go home.  Two of the passengers can not fly so they are the only 2 passengers on the ship.

DON

Maybe not the ship you're thinking of, but Queen Mary 2's passengers flew home from Australia from her World cruise, except for those unable to fly. She's been allowed to refuel in Durban, SA, and is heading home to the UK.

3 hours ago, jocap said:

Maybe not the ship you're thinking of, but Queen Mary 2's passengers flew home from Australia from her World cruise, except for those unable to fly. She's been allowed to refuel in Durban, SA, and is heading home to the UK.

Assuming that the ship is corona free, the people on the ship are probably in the safest place that they can possibly be.  How long does it take to cruise from Australia to the UK?

DON

I'm not sure from Australia, but QM2 left East Africa- Durban - a couple of days ago and is due back in Southampton on April 16th.

When some of my family emigrated to Oz on P&O's Canberra, in the 70s, it took 6 weeks.

What is the likelihood that one or multiple of these ships will be in the news in the coming days with some debacle related to being denied the ability to dock or having some post-disembarkation scandal involving symptomatic passengers being released without testing or without waiting for the test results to be come back?

Can this really happen again or has everyone learned their lessons by now?

4 hours ago, bob brown said:

Wow...I can't imagine the dilemma of a passenger that cannot fly for medical reasons, getting stranded halfway around the world on a full world cruise...😧 

Actually the Pacific Princess is carrying roughly 115 passengers in just that situation.  The bulk of passengers got off in Fremantle but a number stayed on board and they picked up a few from HAL in the same situation.  They are heading to LA with a stop for fuel and supplies as needed in Honolulu.  
I think Cruise and Maritime did one of the more clever moves.  They had 2 ships on extended cruises in Asia.  The ships met and exchanged passengers based on their origin.  One ship took all the Aussies and NZ’s to Freemantle.  They have since gotten off with the NZ passengers flown home and the Australian passengers in a 14 day quarantine on an island off the coast.  The other ship has all the Europeans and is on a long haul back to Southampton. Not sure if there were any from US or Canada on either ship.

Slowly but surely most everyone will get home or at least close to it.  More problematic is how, when and where all the crews will go.

• Like 2

On 4/5/2020 at 10:42 AM, bob brown said:

Wow...I can't imagine the dilemma of a passenger that cannot fly for medical reasons, getting stranded halfway around the world on a full world cruise...😧 

...and I can't imagine embarking on one of these very long world cruises and not being able (or willing, as was apparently the case for some) to fly home. What if other problems occurred during the length of the cruise -- for example, the ship became disabled and the cruise had to end early. Or the passenger got sick and needed to return home?

Just doesn't seem well thought out.

• Like 2

^+1.

Absolutely agree.  We shake our heads and do not understand why someone who cannot fly or who has a medical condition that could potentially go south would even consider a cruise to a far off or remote location hours of flight time to the nearest specialized medical facility or home.  And then expect the cruise line to pick up the responsibility for this.

It is one thing to accept the risk, quite another to lumber others with the responsibility of resolving a situation that is of you own making and one that could be avoided with just a little bit of common sense.  

• Like 1

Arcadia is in the English Channel, due to dock in Southampton tomorrow, Sunday.

Since leaving Australia, she has stopped twice, in South Africa - where she had to loiter outside for a couple of days- and in the Canary Islands, for bunkering and supplies- no passengers allowed off.

QM2 is due to arrive on the 16th, after a similar journey.

On 4/2/2020 at 2:24 AM, aungrl said:

I believe it’s the Sun that’s completing the World Cruise.

Viking Sun has left Lisbon after a 'technical' stop. Now en route towards the UK and showing Southampton as the destination.

Cruise and Maritime's Columbus- the ship which was offering an unusually cheap World cruise, and which did the extraordinary exchange of passengers off Thailand, with Europeans and Australian/NZ  swapping ships by tender... is turning into the English Channel on the way to her final port, east of London. 

She wasn't due to arrive back from her worldie until May.

Pacific Princess who was on world cruise and took some passengers from other ships in Australia...should have been in Honolulu today.She is out of range of AIS (unless you pay up big time for satellite) but I think the blue dot a couple of days SW of Hawaii is her.  I think HI is only a tech stop as she continues to US mainland.  I think there may be a Seabourn ship still out there, too.  EM

• Like 1

As of April 11, 2020:

At sea:

Pacific Princess

MSC Magnifica

Costa Deliziosa

Columbus

Queen Mary 2

Docked with passengers aboard are:

Greg Mortimer

Coral Princess (Disembarked last weekend) but 13 passengers are still onboard undergoing a 14 day medical quarantine.

Rotterdam still has 29 passengers onboard awaiting flight arrangements

Celebrity Eclipse with 9 passengers still onboard awaiting travel arrangements.

https://www.miamiherald.com/news/business/tourism-cruises/article241929131.html

Norwegian Spirit came in a few days ago

and spent awhile in the Port at Bridgetown.

Now we know why: most of the crew sent home on two charter flights!

Skeleton crew of about 200 left on board to keep the system running.

Local newspaper here on the island reports...

https://www.nationnews.com/nationnews/news/244976/anchored-cruise-ships-operating-minimal-crew

On 4/12/2020 at 7:21 AM, Smurf2017 said:

Viking Sun has left Lisbon after a 'technical' stop. Now en route towards the UK and showing Southampton as the destination.

Affirmative the Viking Sun departed Lisbon, but she is bound for Portsmouth, arriving April 15th for 3 days. Approx 300 crew are disembarking on April 16 & 17.

She currently has no pax, as the last 8 pax all disembarked in Gibraltar.

• Like 1