Celebrity Eclipse exposed passengers to Covid19

FOXTROT

As far as I know there are 4 dead, one in Atlanta, one in Australia, one in Texas and one in Toronto.  Thank goodness for all those of us who are well and those who have recovered.

• Like 2

Unfortunately I don't know if I had it because I was never eligible to be tested since I didn't develop fever, cough or shortness of breath. I developed mild symptoms on April 1st that ranged from tiredness, weakness, chest tightness and sore throat. The sore throat was persistent and lasted for weeks and I still have a lingering one but much more mild. 

We were on the Azamara Pursuit that was eventually allowed to offload us in Miami. The Australians on board were put on an AA flight to SF. We boarded the United Flight to Sydney, along with all of the Celebrity Eclipse Australian passengers, many of whom were coughing badly the whole flight back to Sydney. All Australian passengers except the most ill were put in two weeks’ quarantine in Sydney, not allowed to leave our rooms (security guards sat outside our doors 24 hours a day). I read on the NSW health site that all passengers in rows 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 31, 32, 33, 34 and 35 had been in close contact with passengers known (later) to have coved-19. My wife and I were in row 22, and the person across the aisle from me was wearing a mask and coughing. We managed to last the quarantine without symptoms and have now been In our own home for more than two weeks. I think things could have been a lot worse. Our boat had no sick people, and the Captain was able to tell us this even on the day we disembarked. But he couldn’t have known we would end up on a sick flight home.

• Like 2

13 hours ago, FOXTROT said:

According to responses on FB there have been 135 passengers who came down with Covid 19. There have been at least 3 deaths. Now an article came out that 67 crew have or had the virus. There are still 9 passengers on board that have the virus. That puts the total over 200 who came down with the virus. That's not bad for a non sick ship.

Hard to process that there are still passengers on board. ?????

That's a long time.  Are they too sick to be moved or other issues getting them transported home?

5 hours ago, blobby113 said:

We were on the Azamara Pursuit that was eventually allowed to offload us in Miami. The Australians on board were put on an AA flight to SF. We boarded the United Flight to Sydney, along with all of the Celebrity Eclipse Australian passengers, many of whom were coughing badly the whole flight back to Sydney. All Australian passengers except the most ill were put in two weeks’ quarantine in Sydney, not allowed to leave our rooms (security guards sat outside our doors 24 hours a day). I read on the NSW health site that all passengers in rows 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 31, 32, 33, 34 and 35 had been in close contact with passengers known (later) to have coved-19. My wife and I were in row 22, and the person across the aisle from me was wearing a mask and coughing. We managed to last the quarantine without symptoms and have now been In our own home for more than two weeks. I think things could have been a lot worse. Our boat had no sick people, and the Captain was able to tell us this even on the day we disembarked. But he couldn’t have known we would end up on a sick flight home.

Glad you are okay..

Airline travel is one of the known  danger areas...will be for awhile, but in some instances there's no choice....Hope things resolve, eventually

1 hour ago, hcat said:

Hard to process that there are still passengers on board. ?????

That's a long time.  Are they too sick to be moved or other issues getting them transported home?

The San Diego paper was saying they are scheduled to be transported to South America by chartered air ambulance.

1 hour ago, Blackduck59 said:

...I must point out that your situation could have easily turned into Diamond Princess. First isolated in your cabin for the 14 day trip to San Diego, then quarantined in your cabin sitting alongside for at least 14 days as this SARS 2 outbreak slowly spread throughout the ship; eventually to many more than the alleged 200 (from that other site that cannot be mentioned) that say they may have had it. Unfortunately they don't know for sure because most of those have not actually been tested.

Japan had a responsibility to try and keep this from spreading to their mainland, which was a unique situation, that in many ways failed.  I am not familiar with any attempt to repeat that process in the US.  More likely, it would have turned into a Grand Princess situation.  

I agree about the alleged 200.  Not everyone is even on that other site, may brush off light symptoms as a cold.  200 would easily turn into 800, from asymptomatic carriers alone.

6 minutes ago, Stateroom_Sailor said:

Japan had a responsibility to try and keep this from spreading to their mainland, which was a unique situation, that in many ways failed.  I am not familiar with any attempt to repeat that process in the US.  More likely, it would have turned into a Grand Princess situation.  

I agree about the alleged 200.  Not everyone is even on that other site, may brush off light symptoms as a cold.  200 would easily turn into 800, from asymptomatic carriers alone.

Actually many of the 200 could have just had a cold or flu or any number of other illnesses; so that 200 could turn into 50. The only sure thing is that at least 4 are dead and that is tragic. There have been many people who have jumped on the Covid 19  bandwagon for whatever reason. Some of them where saying it was a hoax just a few short months ago.

Grand Princess was an interesting situation, there is little talk about it. The Canadians were repatriated and quarantined in a Canadian Forces Base. I don't know where, if anywhere (other than that other site) that Eclipse is making headlines. All the deaths worldwide from this Pandemic are tragic, That a very small percentage of these deaths were a result of a cruise vacation shows how unfair the coverage of the cruise industry is with regard to COVID 19. There are many things to complain about in the cruise industry but their handling of COVID 19 has not been nearly as bad as the media and some passengers have made it out to be.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Blackduck59 said:

Actually many of the 200 could have just had a cold or flu or any number of other illnesses; so that 200 could turn into 50.

Absolutely, some of those 200 may not have had coronavirus.  What about passengers who don't use this site, don't want to say, or are downplaying their symptoms?  Half of all the Diamond Princess infected were asymptomatic, so I find it hard to believe the same couldn't be true for Eclipse.

Edited by Stateroom_Sailor

5 minutes ago, Stateroom_Sailor said:

Absolutely, some of those 200 may not have had coronavirus.  What about passengers who don't use this site, don't want to say, or are downplaying their symptoms?  Half of all the Diamond Princess infected were asymptomatic, so I find it hard to believe the same couldn't be true for Eclipse.

You are correct, there is no way of knowing for sure because there has been a woeful lack of testing. I haven't been able to find anything through legitimate sources about confirmed cases from Eclipse. Many who were very ill were not given the test because they simply weren't and still aren't available. I don't think that lack of availability falls on Celebrity or Eclipse, that lays squarely on another place.

Stateroom Sailor, no I doubt Celebrity did ask for test kits and if they did...they would still be waiting for them. Eclipse left Buenos Aires on March 1st and the USA was far from locked down, it is entirely possible the virus was brought aboard Eclipse by a passenger from the US or anywhere else. To keep banging on how Celebrity done you wrong is failing to sway many people including many who were actually on the cruise. Celebrity brought you home, they did not imprison you in your cabins and you did not sit locked down in your cabins sitting alongside for weeks on end. You got a free cruise with free drinks and were free to make your own decisions as to what risks you were willing to take. You made adult decisions own them.

• Like 3

On 5/2/2020 at 6:14 AM, blobby113 said:

This is extraordinary. Was this just coincidence or was the flight a charter/arranged by the cruise line? 

1 hour ago, Pavovsky said:

This is extraordinary. Was this just coincidence or was the flight a charter/arranged by the cruise line? 

It was the scheduled UA863 flight from SF to Sydney. By this time United was the only airline still flying to Australia from the US. 

• Like 1

For those wondering why there are still PAX on board the Eclipse,

I believe it is the South American Passengers who were not allowed to disembark in Chile.

And I believe the borders & airports were closed in their home countries for flights originating in the US &/or were closed completely.

https://www.sandiegouniontribune.com/business/tourism/story/2020-04-30/cruising-has-stopped-but-ships-with-thousands-of-crew-members-still-in-san-diego-waiting-to-return-home

NO passengers were allowed to disembark in San Antonio, Chile,

NOT Even South Americans...

No new passengers were allowed on in San Antonio, Chile either...

Edited by Von & John

2 hours ago, Von & John said:

For those wondering why there are still PAX on board the Eclipse,

I believe it is the South American Passengers who were not allowed to disembark in Chile.

And I believe the borders & airports were closed in their home countries for flights originating in the US &/or were closed completely.

https://www.sandiegouniontribune.com/business/tourism/story/2020-04-30/cruising-has-stopped-but-ships-with-thousands-of-crew-members-still-in-san-diego-waiting-to-return-home

NO passengers were allowed to disembark in San Antonio, Chile,

NOT Even South Americans...

No new passengers were allowed on in San Antonio, Chile either...

Which was probably a good decision by the Chilean authorities in terms of protecting their own citizens. 

Foxtrot, we don’t know what Celebrity told the authorities.  I suspect all of the cases of illness were reported to CDC as required.  Celebrity and Captain Leo are not so stupid that they would have failed to report.  Also, as of March 30, we had no cases of COVID-19 on the ship.  No one had been tested so all Celebrity knew was that they had A small group of passenger with pneumonia and other respiratory illnesses, just like any other cruise. 

• Like 1

Blackfick59

Per the Captain’s message to all passengers on the evening of March 14.  All passengers were required to debark in San Antonio, Chile as the cruise to San Diego was cancelled. If everyone had debarked on the 15th as planned, I wonder if anyone from the ship would have gotten sick. 

• Like 2

VA man I understand what you are saying and as I said before we are on the same page. My point was that someone said Eclipse was never scheduled to stop in the US which is patently untrue. I know that everything got thrown in the bin half way through. But Eclipse was scheduled to stop in San Diego and several other US ports before reaching Canada.

So when everything closed up Celebrity had no better choice than to proceed to San Diego where they could disembark their passengers who I understand were mostly Americans

11 minutes ago, Blackduck59 said:

VA man I understand what you are saying and as I said before we are on the same page. My point was that someone said Eclipse was never scheduled to stop in the US which is patently untrue. I know that everything got thrown in the bin half way through. But Eclipse was scheduled to stop in San Diego and several other US ports before reaching Canada.

So when everything closed up Celebrity had no better choice than to proceed to San Diego where they could disembark their passengers who I understand were mostly Americans

Also to note is that Canada looked after there own citizens when the ship docked

• Thanks 1

13 hours ago, npcl said:

Keep in mind that the Eclipse was not supposed to come to the US.  That it came there only after it was denied unloading. Since it came all of the way from Chile, Canada is not that much further.

You really should check your facts before you put erroneous claims on the board.  We were on this cruise B2B2B. Buenos Aires to San Antonio, San Antonio to San Diego, San Diego to Vancouver.  The ports on this last segment were to be San Diego, Los Angeles, San Francisco, Astoria, Seattle and Vancouver.  The ship was supposed to go into drydock for 5 days in Victoria, then sail back to Vancouver for a trip to Hawaii and back.  Of course none of this happened the way it should have, after the first segment.  I would like to say that Celebrity treated us very well on the cruise to nowhere as it was dubbed and that we were extremely glad to be allowed off the ship in San Diego.  

• Like 3

1 hour ago, TeaBag said:

You really should check your facts before you put erroneous claims on the board.  We were on this cruise B2B2B. Buenos Aires to San Antonio, San Antonio to San Diego, San Diego to Vancouver.  The ports on this last segment were to be San Diego, Los Angeles, San Francisco, Astoria, Seattle and Vancouver.  The ship was supposed to go into drydock for 5 days in Victoria, then sail back to Vancouver for a trip to Hawaii and back.  Of course none of this happened the way it should have, after the first segment.  I would like to say that Celebrity treated us very well on the cruise to nowhere as it was dubbed and that we were extremely glad to be allowed off the ship in San Diego.  

Originally yes.  However did Celebrity not try and terminate the voyage in Chile after the outbreak?  That is certainly what was being reported.  Or are you saying that Celebrity only tried to offload those passengers that would have left there and still planned to continue the last voyage as scheduled?  

6 hours ago, Va man said:

Blackfick59

Per the Captain’s message to all passengers on the evening of March 14.  All passengers were required to debark in San Antonio, Chile as the cruise to San Diego was cancelled. If everyone had debarked on the 15th as planned, I wonder if anyone from the ship would have gotten sick. 

If we had been able to debark the ship on the 15th, the number of cases would have been very few.

Edited by FOXTROT
misspelling