Celebrity Eclipse exposed passengers to Covid19

FOXTROT

I must ask OP, are you happy you are home? I ask because if the captain had known and did report the corona virus to the port authorities, my guess is the ship would be floating around in the Pacific, quarantining the passengers, trying to find a port to disembark its passengers just like Holland America’s ship off the coast of Florida. I guess you must pick which scenario is best for you.

• Like 6

I frankly don’t know what the big deal is. People get sick all the time on cruises and they had no way to test for Covid19. Honestly they were at sea for so long how did it even get onboard? It’s only like 7 passengers And crew calm down.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

23 minutes ago, pumpkin 11 said:

I frankly don’t know what the big deal is. People get sick all the time on cruises and they had no way to test for Covid19. Honestly they were at sea for so long how did it even get onboard? It’s only like 7 passengers And crew calm down.

Even if the ship does not know for sure that it was covid-19, they knew someone was sick for days with respiratory (pneumonia) symptoms.   I think it is their responsibility to tell the port and the passengers before they disembark.  I remember reading someone on the ship who lives in San Diego saying how great it was to be home.  And they stop by the store to get some supplies before heading home.  If they had known, would they have stopped by the store risking infecting others instead of going straight home?   What about the passengers who got home and hug their kids/parents?   Sending them a txt or email a day later only when it is confirmed covid-19 is too late!

• Like 7

14 hours ago, WonderMan3 said:

If San Diego had known about this they probably would not have allowed them to disembark or turned it over to the government and forced everyone into quarantine. Now all these people are scattered to the winds potentially infecting hundreds.

the worse part is that people now have scattered to the winds, potentially and very likely infecting hundreds, if not thousands.    There is an excellent case study from South Korea regarding “Patient 31” - “one” patient that infected thousands.  This is how it works.

https://graphics.reuters.com/CHINA-HEALTH-SOUTHKOREA-CLUSTERS/0100B5G33SB/index.html

What is very disturbing about the Eclipse is that the Medical Officer brushed this palette as bronchitis / pneumonia during a global pandemic that you would have to be living underneath a boulder not to be aware of the clinical signs of COVID-19.   This patient should not have disembarked until testing was done.

Edited by hvbaskey
  • Like 5

3 minutes ago, hvbaskey said:

“Only”  - I suggest reading this article to show how ONE person can infect thousands:

https://graphics.reuters.com/CHINA-HEALTH-SOUTHKOREA-CLUSTERS/0100B5G33SB/index.html

Agree this would be true if American society were carrying on as usual.  With self-isolate orders in effect across the country, I am hopeful that the rate of infection is drastically reduced.  

• Like 1

I am not sure why only the cruise industry is being slated worldwide. Airlines are still flying all over the world. 

Are they testing people as they dis-embark aircraft and telling them to self-isolate as a precaution?

Without a shutdown of airlines , Except to repatriate people back to their own countries, we will not stop the spread.

• Like 10

I always try to wait for the full facts to emerge on any story carried in the media no matter how alarming or damning it seems on the surface.  In the US it is still "innocent until proven guilty".  But of course everyone and everything gets convicted and condemned in the media instantly.  That is the world we live in.  So some of us do the same thing too. It is easy to get worked up into a frenzy.  Sometimes I do too.  Yes Celebrity might have acted negligently in this situation.  That might come out in time and there would be both legal and customer trust ramifications.  But there might also be other plausible explanations that will eventually be revealed too.  So I am willing to wait and see before piling on.  I truly feel for the passengers on Eclipse that thought they were through all of this and now have to worry again.  We are just in unfortunate times right now.  But better times lie ahead.

• Like 9

1 hour ago, Georgia_Peaches said:

I'm wondering about one of the posted news reports in this thread which indicated that the passengers were screened prior to disembarkation.  Is that what you experienced?  They also showed flyers that appeared to be handed out to passengers with details about self-quarantine and Covid-19 symptoms.  Can you give a little more detail about your debarkation process?  

They did screen us. We had to fill out a form reporting symptoms and they took our temperature before leaving the ship. If you had a fever, you would be taken aside for a secondary screening. My temperature was 97 degrees F so I had no issue leaving.

We also got a flyer from CDC on Sunday night indicating that he had to self-isolate for 14 days because we were on a cruise ship.

Edited by El turista
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

COVID or Not, ships are required to notify ports of ill passengers requiring medevacs.  At the very least Celebrity knew there were sick people, with unknown ailments, onboard for several days and violated the trust of their guests by continuing to announce there were no illnesses.  Look at the actions of the Port Director in San Diego; clearly blindsided by this.  Princess did the exact same thing yesterday at Port Everglades. 

No entity will ever hold cruise companies responsible; just a small monetary fine and things resume.  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

9 hours ago, omeinv said:

Pending developments and information, I remain straight-facedly yours,

Your post, of course, is simply asking people to post known validated information and to stop spreading hysteria, which I really agree with.

There is SO MUCH misinformation being repeated by folks who THINK they know what they're talking about. Even some of those who were aboard the Eclipse are making assumptions, without facts in hand.

Unfortunately the vagaries are starting at the very top of our political chain, with tons of misinformation, conjecture, and innuendo being spouted 24/7. 

Thanks for your post, tongue planted firmly in cheek, face straight or not.

• Like 3

12 hours ago, ECCruise said:

Correct.  No one is saying 3 weeks incubation period.

97.5% of incidence is present in ll.5 days or less.  This is why they use the 14 day quarantine standard.

"101 out of every 10 000 cases (99th percentile, 482) will develop symptoms after 14 days of active monitoring or quarantine."

https://annals.org/aim/fullarticle/2762808/incubation-period-coronavirus-disease-2019-covid-19-from-publicly-reported

13 hours ago, WonderMan3 said:

Three weeks? Where was that stated? If that were true then we would be having 21 day quarantines not 14.

I have been following the daily updates from Dr. John Campbell on YouTube. Based on daily updates of the numbers across the world, he feels that three weeks is more likely.

I highly recommend his updates. No agenda, just facts as far as I can tell.

• Like 2

36 minutes ago, Mike981 said:

I have been following the daily updates from Dr. John Campbell on YouTube. Based on daily updates of the numbers across the world, he feels that three weeks is more likely.

I highly recommend his updates. No agenda, just facts as far as I can tell.

I will stick with official recommendations from the World Health Organization.

Anyway, back on topic...Is Eclipse still docked in San Diego? How will this virus diagnosis impact those non-US passengers who are supposed to disembark in Mexico?

From the Celebrity website:

CORONAVIRUS HEALTH PROTOCOLS

Tuesday, March 31, 2020

Celebrity Eclipse

We received clearance from port authorities and public health officials to disembark our guests and return them safely to their homes. No guests or crew members reported with symptoms throughout the sailing, and guests are going through exit health screenings when they leave the ship. We remain in continuous contact with public health authorities and appreciate their guidance to protect the well-being of our guests and crew.

19 minutes ago, WonderMan3 said:

Anyway, back on topic...Is Eclipse still docked in San Diego?

As of one minute ago (Wed 04.01.20 0955) it's still showing docked in San Diego.

https://www.marinetraffic.com/en/ais/details/ships/shipid:289359/mmsi:249666000/imo:9404314/vessel:CELEBRITY_ECLIPSE

Edited by K12Guy

9 minutes ago, Argo. said:

We remain in continuous contact with public health authorities and appreciate their guidance to protect the well-being of our guests and crew.

To me, this statement suggests that the passenger was indeed tested AFTER she was disembarked, as has been reported. There has been nothing written that reports any COVID-19 tests were available on board during the cruise.

Thanks, Argo, for sharing this snippet of information from the source.

19 minutes ago, K12Guy said:

As of one minute ago (Wed 04.01.20 0955) it's still showing docked in San Diego.

https://www.marinetraffic.com/en/ais/details/ships/shipid:289359/mmsi:249666000/imo:9404314/vessel:CELEBRITY_ECLIPSE

imageproxy.php?img=&key=6ee4bfcebcfde1cbThis other website shows that Eclipse is heading North...to Vancouver... yesterday but the map

p shows no movement.

X in Florida.png

Eclipse April 1.png

Edited by Argo.

23 minutes ago, Argo. said:

From the Celebrity website:

CORONAVIRUS HEALTH PROTOCOLS

Tuesday, March 31, 2020

Celebrity Eclipse

We received clearance from port authorities and public health officials to disembark our guests and return them safely to their homes. No guests or crew members reported with symptoms throughout the sailing, and guests are going through exit health screenings when they leave the ship. We remain in continuous contact with public health authorities and appreciate their guidance to protect the well-being of our guests and crew.

Except that at least four of them did, and two were so severe that they had to be immediately taken to the hospital. Of course, they could not be tested for COVID-19, but they did report symptoms during the sailing. 

I really want to give Celebrity the benefit of the doubt here, but they aren't making it easy. 

I'm not quite ready to condemn X, but I'm not seeing a compelling reason to defend them, either. 

I'll continue to wait for more facts. 

• Like 8

3 minutes ago, MamaFej said:

Except that at least four of them did, and two were so severe that they had to be immediately taken to the hospital. Of course, they could not be tested for COVID-19, but they did report symptoms during the sailing. 

I really want to give Celebrity the benefit of the doubt here, but they aren't making it easy. 

I'm not quite ready to condemn X, but I'm not seeing a compelling reason to defend them, either. 

I'll continue to wait for more facts. 

The Celebrity memo is Newspeak.  If they were not tested then they could not have had THE symptoms.

Truth:; "We can't handle the truth".

• Like 2

14 hours ago, Kartgv said:

There will be a ripple effect of hundreds, if not thousands, of cases directly leading back to this decision on the part of Celebrity management.   

Jesus... take it easy. Ok a few people were sick but there won't be thousands of Covid Zombies running through Gaslamp Quarter.

25 minutes ago, K12Guy said:

To me, this statement suggests that the passenger was indeed tested AFTER she was disembarked, as has been reported. There has been nothing written that reports any COVID-19 tests were available on board during the cruise.

The ships don't have to comply with FDA regulations.  Thats how the Zaandam tested their own passengers.  You can source a lot of different tests that are easier to do from China or Europe.

Not having any COVID-19 tests on board may itself be a decision and sign of willful ignorance at this point.

• Like 1

43 minutes ago, K12Guy said:

We already knew this. The passenger onboard was said to have bronchitis then pneumonia. No one has said that anyone knew the passenger definitely had the virus while onboard. People are upset because when you are in a worldwide pandemic over a respiratory illness that is highly contagious and cruise ships have been prone for easy spread of the virus, it is difficult to believe that the medical staff and The Captain would not have suspected that this person might have had the virus. They should've taken extra precautions just in case, but they did not and now we know of three crew members who have it and likely other passengers in the days to come as they show symptoms.

• Like 10
  • Thanks 1