Celebrity Eclipse exposed passengers to Covid19

FOXTROT

20 minutes ago, Fly and Sail said:

Jesus... take it easy. Ok a few people were sick but there won't be thousands of Covid Zombies running through Gaslamp Quarter.

I suggest reading this article to show how ONE person can infect thousands:

https://graphics.reuters.com/CHINA-HEALTH-SOUTHKOREA-CLUSTERS/0100B5G33SB/index.html

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, Fly and Sail said:

Jesus... take it easy. Ok a few people were sick but there won't be thousands of Covid Zombies running through Gaslamp Quarter.

“It’s only five ...”; “it’s only 10”,  it’s only 100” ... 

1829898671_ScreenShot2020-04-01at1_50_57PM.thumb.png.61b3d633dc3d7fd79a1bc10e85fc62f7.png

Edited by hvbaskey
  • Like 4

37 minutes ago, Argo. said:

This other website shows that Eclipse is heading North...to Vancouver... yesterday but the map

p shows no movement.

Yep. It makes no sense at all since Canadian ports are CLOSED to all cruise ships. I think that site is posting 'old' or faulty information.

1 minute ago, K12Guy said:

Yep. It makes no sense at all since Canadian ports are CLOSED to all cruise ships. I think that site is posting 'old' or faulty information.

Agreed.  “ZERO” chance it’s heading to Vancouver.   

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, Fly and Sail said:

How do you think this whole thing started?   With one, or a very small group of people.   No one said all the cases would be here in San Diego (and the Gaslamp already has its share of Zombies, thank you).  The passengers who were potentially exposed/infected before leaving the ship were mostly transported to airports (new exposure opportunity #1), made multiple contacts traveling through the airport and on the plane (multiple exposure opportunities), then the reverse process getting from airport to home (more opportunities, etc.), possibly stopping for groceries or prescriptions.   Then they hug Mom and/or the kids, pay the dogsitter, get their mail from the neighbor who had been picking it up.   

If only one passenger was in the early stages of the virus, then that's still multiple opportunities to pass on the virus - BEFORE starting their suggested 14 day self quarantine.   Then, each of those potentially infected people will expose more, etc., etc., etc.   The CDC this morning confirmed that up to 25% of infected people may show no symptoms, so they'd not know they were playing any part in expanding the epidemic.   

In my opinion, Celebrity should have informed passengers of the potential cases onboard and delayed disembarking at the port until the ill passengers/crew were tested and results known.   Then more controlled and informed decisions could have been made about getting other passengers home or into controlled quarantines.   

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

6 hours ago, pumpkin 11 said:

I frankly don’t know what the big deal is. People get sick all the time on cruises and they had no way to test for Covid19. Honestly they were at sea for so long how did it even get onboard? It’s only like 7 passengers And crew calm down.

We don't know that it's that small of a number of people from the ship infected since they tested so few people.

There could easily be many more who have very mild or no symptoms and slipped through the screening of a survey and touchless temp check.

1 hour ago, K12Guy said:

1 hour ago, hvbaskey said:

Agreed.  “ZERO” chance it’s heading to Vancouver.   

The GOC ban, which doesn't start until tomorrow, applies to cruise ships capable of carrying more than 500 passengers and crew members. As the Eclipse is (was?) scheduled to enter dry dock in Vancouver, and as the crew required to sail to Vancouver and enter dry dock may well be below the 500 passenger/crew threshold established by the GOC, it is still possible that she's heading there.

The GOC regulations are nevertheless subject to interpretation. On the one hand, the stated purpose is to limit the number of people entering by cruise ship:

Purpose

1 These Regulations temporarily restrict the number of persons arriving by cruise ship at ports managed by port authorities, at public ports, at public port facilities and in the Seaway to reduce the risk of persons in those areas contracting infectious diseases, including severe acute respiratory syndrome coronavirus 2, also known as SARS-CoV-2.

While the intent seems pretty clear, the regulations effectively ban cruise ship capable of carrying more than 500 passengers/crew, with no allowance made for actual numbers:

Application

Cruise ships

3 These Regulations apply to cruise ships capable of carrying 500 or more persons, including both passengers and crew members.

Perhaps not surprisingly, the drafters of the regulations did not consider a case such as the one facing the Eclipse, so it will be interesting to see whether there will be a more liberal interpretation of the regulations, based on the stated purpose, or a more conservative application. All this assuming that Celebrity would still like her to head to dry dock as originally planned.

10 minutes ago, Fouremco said:

As the Eclipse is (was?) scheduled to enter dry dock in Vancouver

Do you happen to know why Eclipse might have gone into dry dock in Vancouver? This is the first I've heard of it.

7 hours ago, pumpkin 11 said:

I frankly don’t know what the big deal is. People get sick all the time on cruises and they had no way to test for Covid19. Honestly they were at sea for so long how did it even get onboard? It’s only like 7 passengers And crew calm down.

Perhaps I can let you know about another ship, Princess Ruby. Princess Ruby berthed in Sydney just  10 days ago. Several people were tested. Just a handful were positive but passengers were released prior to results.

In Australia FIVE people have now died from being on that ship. That comprises a quarter of all Australia's deaths. Several others are in intensive care. The ship passengers alone comprise over 10% of Australia's positive infections (400+) and over 25% in our states total infection. The virus was brought onboard by overseas passengers, likely from the USA. Any more questions?

Cruises have been a major vector in Australia. Not planes. So much so that cruises have their own special category in our Covid statistics. Over 20% throughout Australia. And passengers on cruisers rate much higher in the death statistics. 

Cruises are not popular here at the moment. 

Edited by Pushka
  • Like 3

3 hours ago, Argo. said:

From the Celebrity website:

CORONAVIRUS HEALTH PROTOCOLS

Tuesday, March 31, 2020

Celebrity Eclipse

We received clearance from port authorities and public health officials to disembark our guests and return them safely to their homes. No guests or crew members reported with symptoms throughout the sailing, and guests are going through exit health screenings when they leave the ship. We remain in continuous contact with public health authorities and appreciate their guidance to protect the well-being of our guests and crew.

All that is missing is for this to have been issued on April 1st, give us hope that this was all a tone-deaf joke.

19 minutes ago, DAllenTCY said:

I'm double checking now.  It looks like Eclipse still here from a San Diego harbor camera.

Eclipse is definitely at the pier.

Sorry for mis-posting earlier!

David

Eclipse definitely still here at 1:45 PM PDT  1 April 2020

Eclipse San Diego at 145 pm 04-01-2020.JPG

52 minutes ago, DAllenTCY said:

I'm double checking now.  It looks like Eclipse still here from a San Diego harbor camera.

Eclipse is definitely at the pier.

Sorry for mis-posting earlier!

David

Good idea to double check before you post.  

OP the woman who tested positive, after leaving the ship in an ambulance at 7AM is NOT AT HOME.  She is in ICU.  She had to have an IV on the ship so I doubt she was running around the halls or at the matinee.  I will agree that I was not happy to hear that COVID was aboard.

However, I'm really glad we were able to disembark.  I was stressed enough with all the sailing in rectangles for 2 days outside of San Antonio and then having to move on to Valparaiso where we were actually allowed to drop anchor and fritter away another 2 days while things were exploding at home.  I suspect the virus might have come aboard during the provisioning, but what do I know?  I just know that sailing on a ship for 17 days of uncertainty (are we going to be another Diamond Princess?) is not pretty even though you are being treated royally.

Our disembarkation went like this:

When our number was called, we proceeded to the temperature testing which was very orderly and handed in our signed sheet saying we had none of the symptoms.  We received our package containing mask and gloves.  Then we proceeded down the steep gangplank to the building where we received our suitcase and then went outside where we saw a table of bag lunches!  Kudos to Celebrity for feeding us right to the very end.  We took maybe 50 steps to the bus which had front seats roped off to protect the driver.  Arrived at LAX which was pretty busy since they were also processing all the folks on the charter to London.  We have priority with AC so we didn't have to wait long.  Our agent had spray at her counter and allowed us to have some.  Great idea.  Then we proceeded to security which was a hassle, still wearing our masks,  and then, to the gate area where we distanced ourselves from anyone else.

We landed early in YVR and filled out another questionnaire, expedited immigration with our Nexus card and we were done.  We had friends leave our car in the parking area so we "infected" no one in public transportation.  Drove home.  Canada has mandatory quarantine for 14 days for anyone arriving in YVR with a stiff fine if you don't comply.

Friends put groceries on our doorstep.  Home never looked so good.

We will definitely sail again with Celebrity.  Sorry this is so long but it upsets me to read the things people are saying who were not on this cruise and never experienced the stress involved.

Edited by TeaBag
  • Like 18
  • Thanks 1

16 minutes ago, Jaxweb said:

Did the passenger give the infection to the 3 crew or did one of the crew give it to her plus the other crew?
The only other possibility is that they all contracted it separately. 

Or an asymptomatic person passed it on to all of them.

31 minutes ago, K12Guy said:

Do you happen to know why Eclipse might have gone into dry dock in Vancouver? This is the first I've heard of it.

No. We were scheduled for a 10-night Vancouver-Honolulu cruise starting April 10 when Celebrity informed us in December that the cruise was being shortened to 8 days, starting April 12, to allow an extra 2 days for the dry dock session. Celebrity didn't say why she was going in or why the additional days were required, and I've seen nothing since providing the reason. There was speculation on our roll call, but nothing factual.

Hi, All,

I was on the Celebrity Eclipse and disembarked and flew home to NY on Monday.  I just saw on the Families of Celebrity Eclipse on Facebook that the ship was planning to sail to Los Angeles and then Acapulco.  They were waiting for permission from the powers that be. I'm glad to be home.!  Hope everyone is okay.

2 hours ago, TeaBag said:

.... Sorry this is so long but it upsets me to read the things people are saying who were not on this cruise and never experienced the stress involved.

I think everyone sympathizes with the stress on the passengers and crew and we're all glad you're home.  We're just not happy with Celebrity's lack of transparency and misleading statements that caused unnecessary risk to non-passengers.   It sounds like you did everything you could do to reduce the risk to others and we wish you a restful and healthy 2 week recovery period at home.   If I believed that every departing passenger was as careful as you were, I'd feel better, but as we've all seen lately there are too many people who are totally clueless or feel too 'entitled' to obey the rules.    

It does sound like Celebrity treated the passengers well...all except for that one tiny detail, leaving out the information about the ill passenger and crew.    

• Like 7

We’ve just flown back to Australia. I developed fairly mild cold like symptoms a day day or so before we disembarked but didn’t worry about it as we’d been isolated for 17 days with no illness on board or so we believed. However I read the email from Celebrity when we landed in Sydney so declared my symptoms when we were screened at the airport (many people off our flight didn’t declare even though they had similar symptoms) I was immediately isolated into a hotel in a separate room from my husband. Today my test results have come back as positive for Covid-19 (my husband doesn’t have his results yet). So please, if anyone has any even minor symptoms please get tested. I feel very misled by Celebrity!

• Like 12

29 minutes ago, RuthieC62 said:

We’ve just flown back to Australia. I developed fairly mild cold like symptoms a day day or so before we disembarked but didn’t worry about it as we’d been isolated for 17 days with no illness on board or so we believed. However I read the email from Celebrity when we landed in Sydney so declared my symptoms when we were screened at the airport (many people off our flight didn’t declare even though they had similar symptoms) I was immediately isolated into a hotel in a separate room from my husband. Today my test results have come back as positive for Covid-19 (my husband doesn’t have his results yet). So please, if anyone has any even minor symptoms please get tested. I feel very misled by Celebrity!

Thank you for your post.  Let's face it, they flat ass lied to us.

• Like 5

35 minutes ago, RuthieC62 said:

So, some passengers are lying by omission, plus there will likely be some positive people from the ship who are truly oblivious to being infected as they are still asymptomatic. 

Sounds like a recipe for additional spreading that could have been prevented. 

• Like 1