No operations through May 16, 2020

TinCan782

• 2 weeks later...

I'm worried about our June trip.  I can't believe they'll have it, but am waiting for them to cancel.  As I understand it, we can cancel ourselves by April 30 and rebook for fall, but I'd sure like to hear from them.  I don't believe it will be safe to visit MS or LA that soon.  For that matter, the way Ohio keeps stretching out the curve, we may still be under "Stay-at-home" orders.

Kathy

1 hour ago, LDVinNC said:

I don't know if they are subject to the current rule that cruise ships cannot sail until July.  I suspect they will follow that guideline. 

I would also expect them to do so as well.

There is a link to the CDC document in this article. Trying to ascertain if this applies to river (domestic, inland) cruises).

https://www.usatoday.com/story/travel/cruises/2020/04/09/coronavirus-cdc-extends-no-sail-order-cruise-ships/5128291002/

The CDC order does apply to, "all commercial, non-cargo passenger carrying vessels operating in international, interstate, or intrastate waterways and subject to the jurisdiction of the  United States  with the capacity to carrying  250 individuals  (passengers and crew)."  This would cover all of the boats of the American Queen Steamboat Co. The order can if appropriate  be rescinded, but if not will halt cruise ship travel until late July.

The 3/14/20 order was entered into the Federal Register on 3/24/20.  Counting up 100 days, I get 7/02/20.  I'm wondering if the American Duchess might just squeeze under the 250 limit.  According to what I can dig up, it has a passenger capacity of 166 and a crew of 83.  American Cruise Lines has a few ships that appear to be under this limit, but not, unfortunately the one I'm booked on this summer.

On 4/12/2020 at 12:20 PM, DaveinCharlotte said:

The 3/14/20 order was entered into the Federal Register on 3/24/20.  Counting up 100 days, I get 7/02/20.  I'm wondering if the American Duchess might just squeeze under the 250 limit.  According to what I can dig up, it has a passenger capacity of 166 and a crew of 83.  American Cruise Lines has a few ships that appear to be under this limit, but not, unfortunately the one I'm booked on this summer.

I could be wrong, but I interpret the new CDC order to go into effect beginning when it is posted in the Federal Register. Also, for what it's worth,  Gannett's "USA Today" reported today that the Trump administration has pressured the CDC to change the 100 day order to 80 days.

• 2 weeks later...

American Queen Steamboat Company

April 27, 2020

To my American Queen Steamboat family,

The COVID-19 pandemic has thrown the world for a loop, and I recognize its impact on your plans for travel. River cruising and many other travel experiences that we love are changing – and that can be stressful.

Rest assured, our team has the financial resources and resolve to face the challenges that lie ahead. American Queen Steamboat Company will sail again, with scheduled operations expected to resume in late June. We hope that you will join us on future sailings, and we look forward to hosting you on board.

As the situation continues to evolve, please know we are being proactive and planning for the future. We, too, are learning from each new development and are adjusting our operations accordingly. Our company is working tirelessly and continuously on this mission.

I cannot stress enough the efforts our leadership teams are putting forth at this time, and I say with absolute sincerity that each American Queen Steamboat Company team member is committed to keeping you informed and protected as we navigate these uncharted waters. Hospitality is who we are, and we aim to take care of you even when you are not sailing with us.

We will uphold our commitments to safety, honesty and trust, which have allowed us to create the beloved travel experiences that we offer. Our existing standards to maintain and promote a healthy environment are high, and we are taking steps beyond recommendations to ensure that when our operations resume, you can cruise with confidence.

American Queen Steamboat Company is not the same without you, and I cannot wait for the day when I can say “see you around the boat” face to face.

Sending well wishes,

John W. Waggoner

Founder and CEO

©2020 American Queen Steamboat Operating Company, LLC

Just now, TinCan782 said:

April 27, 2020

The COVID-19 pandemic has thrown the world for a loop, and I recognize its impact on your plans for travel. River cruising and many other travel experiences that we love are changing – and that can be stressful.

Rest assured, our team has the financial resources and resolve to face the challenges that lie ahead. American Queen Steamboat Company will sail again, with scheduled operations expected to resume in late June. We hope that you will join us on future sailings, and we look forward to hosting you on board.

As the situation continues to evolve, please know we are being proactive and planning for the future. We, too, are learning from each new development and are adjusting our operations accordingly. Our company is working tirelessly and continuously on this mission.

I cannot stress enough the efforts our leadership teams are putting forth at this time, and I say with absolute sincerity that each American Queen Steamboat Company team member is committed to keeping you informed and protected as we navigate these uncharted waters. Hospitality is who we are, and we aim to take care of you even when you are not sailing with us.

We will uphold our commitments to safety, honesty and trust, which have allowed us to create the beloved travel experiences that we offer. Our existing standards to maintain and promote a healthy environment are high, and we are taking steps beyond recommendations to ensure that when our operations resume, you can cruise with confidence.

American Queen Steamboat Company is not the same without you, and I cannot wait for the day when I can say “see you around the boat” face to face.

Sending well wishes,

John W. Waggoner

Founder and CEO

Email received today, 4/27. "Late June"...is that the 30th or, anytime after the 15th?

Here's the text of the letter we received today canceling our June 14th cruise on the Countess.  At this point it appears cruises after June 21st are still a go, though I suspect that could change as well.

April 27, 2020

Dear Valued Guest,

As of today we will be extending the suspension of our cruises to include any departure between May 16 and June 21, 2020.

As your booking is impacted by this suspension, a representative from American Queen Steamboat Company will be contacting you and your travel agent regarding your cruise and available options. The company will be providing a Future Cruise Credit for 125% of the cruise fare or a full refund of the amount paid. Any Future Cruise Credits issued may be returned at any time for a refund of the original payment amount. All refunds will be processed within 90 days.

This difficult decision to extend our suspension was made to adhere to federal and state mandates, and to reassure our guests and crew that your health and safety are our number one goal and priority. We appreciate your patience and loyalty, wish you the very best in health and look forward to welcoming you aboard in the near future.

Sincerely,

John W. Waggoner

Founder and CEO

Edited by PlayTheAces

6 hours ago, TinCan782 said:

April 27, 2020

Sending well wishes,

John W. Waggoner

Founder and CEO

Email received today, 4/27. "Late June"...is that the 30th or, anytime after the 15th?

Yes, the website 

Yes, the website is now stating: "

American Queen Steamboat Company (AQSC), a Hornblower® Company, announced that it will temporarily suspend operations across all boats through June 21, 2020."

https://www.americanqueensteamboatcompany.com/contact-us/alerts/?aliaspath=%2fcontact-us%2falerts&lang=en-US

On 4/29/2020 at 9:41 PM, JustAllie said:

We had already moved our June 14th booking to August 30th... hopefully that's enough time for them to be back in operation and for us to feel comfortable traveling again! 

Hope so, we also have to hope your borders are open to UK flyers then as that cruise and all the associated pre and post itinerary ive taken over a year to put in place are part of someone’s special birthday celebrations 

We waited to change our June trip until AQSC cancelled it.  If we had changed earlier, we would have broken even on a rebooking, but by waiting, we got 125% FCC, so we were able to  rebook for September in a larger cat. cabin and still have some OBC left over.

For those thinking about moving their cruise, our daughter works for the National Institute of Health and says they are expecting another surge in October-November, so August-September is probably a safer time to travel.

Kathy

Mrs Banjo and I are scheduled fora Columbia River Cruise in mid September.  We are cautiously optimistic that it will happen and is not canceled.  My niece who works for a large hotel chain said they are forecasting to be at 10% occupancy through the end of the year.  I’m hoping that is not accurate!