What "If" we are not able to cruise, and take the FCC / OBC

beshears

We had a cruise booked for this month (April 25th) and received the cancellation notice and offer of FCC and $600 OBC or refund.  

Because of work obligations, family, etc., there are only two seasons in the year we can cruise, spring and fall.  After a family meeting, we decided to book a cruise immediately for April 2021 using our FCC and generous OBC offered by Carnival.  Our decision is always based on sailings from south Florida, itinerary, and stateroom deck location.  One person in our party requires an accessible stateroom and we all like to be on the same deck (Lido).

We coordinated our plans and called Carnival.  I applied my FCC and OBC on an existing cruise I had already booked a few months ago for April 2021.  There was no problem transferring this month's cruise information to my existing booking for next year.  Some family members always book balcony rooms and went ahead and booked on the Lido deck.

We are so glad we chose this route because the next day, there was only one balcony room available on the Lido deck and that deck is our preference.  Also, I have been checking rates for next year's cruise and the price is already increasing little by little.

I don't think this would be a major problem for most people but for cruisers like me that have very specific preferences, waiting to book a cruise later rather than earlier, we might have to pay more instead of less, may have to settle for whatever room and location is available at the time, or cruise on another line.  

I don't think anyone should worry about Carnival or Royal folding up shop.  They may streamline some operations, offer less cruise promotions and re-vamp their marketing program.  There are certainly many things they can do to make up some of their losses.....raise the drink package price, increase shore excursion prices, individual drink prices, charge more for the Steakhouse and other venues that are an extra fee, etc.

If you have a particular ship you enjoy sailing on, are limited to which month you sail, enjoy sailing only to particular destinations, prefer certain decks or staterooms, I would suggest re-booking as soon as you can make a decision.  If you are not particular about where you sail to or from as long as you are cruising, then wait.  Everyone's requirements are different.  It's hard passing up that $600.00 OBC, that will buy me a lot of dirty martinis.

I am retired so don't have to worry about losing my job but I do live on a fixed income and strict budget so could certainly use the monetary refund but, what the hell, now my cruise for next April is completely paid for, I am on the ship I love, nice itinerary, and don't have to worry about it.  I was concerned that Carnival would not apply the refund and OBC to an existing booked cruise but they did, no problem.  

Good luck everyone and stay safe, help your neighbors and family if you can.  

9 hours ago, skiorcruise said:

My late September cruise was canceled.  My initial response is to take the future cruise credit (FCC) and the $600 OBC.  Does anyone know how FCC works?  We have paid about $1500 of the $3000 cruise price.  Final payment is due in June.  Do we need to make the payment in June to fully pay for the cruise and  $3000 FCC  or will we get $1500 FCC without making that payment?  I booked through Costco Travel, and their phones have been super busy.

Thanks for anyone who has an answer.  

Dave

No, your future credit credit is that $1500.  You do not make another payment.  My PVP said if I do nothing, my cancelled cruise will automatically convert into FCC (the amount I paid) and $600 OBC in December.

OK, for those of you who use "gift cards," to purchase your cruise, how in the world did you get so many to use?????  Did you just purchase them at random when you had "extra" money to spend, or did someone else purchase them for you?

1 hour ago, beshears said:

OK, for those of you who use "gift cards," to purchase your cruise, how in the world did you get so many to use?????  Did you just purchase them at random when you had "extra" money to spend, or did someone else purchase them for you?

there was some sites offering the gift cards for like 10-15% off of the purchase price.

Newegg runs discounts.  Meijer here runs discounts

It wont be the end of the world. Yes, it will be sad to lose the money on the cruise you have been waiting for so long and paid for a good amount of money but in any case life will go on. Yes, one year will be a difficult one but then you will have a chance to travel once again. I suggest people to start saving, you never know when black Friday comes.. 

I live in KC, MO and have never heard of Newegg and Meijer companies that are selling the Carnival gift cards.  These stores must just be in certain areas.

newegg is an online store that mostly sells computers and other electronics

• Like 1