Azamara refund problems (merged)

larhode

It's been 3 weeks since Azamara canceled my cruise.  I have not received a refund. 

I have emailed them 3 times, they do not respond.  When I called them, the representative

just said they were backed up.   Sounded like a canned answer read off a script.  I understand

they have a lot of refunds to process, but 3 weeks?     Makes me wonder if they are going out of business.  

Has anyone else received their refund? 

Edited by Host Grandma Cruising

Might be different in other countries but I think we'll have to wait quite some time: Our travel agency told us it might take up to 8 weeks for the refund to be processed by Azamara when I asked because our refund didn't come after 3 weeks of waiting.

I've got to be honest. I think you are being too ambitious. There is a global pandemic and the travel industry has been hit square on and you talk of a three week delay for your refund and lack of contact?  I think you need to be more patient. 

Phil 

Edited by excitedofharpenden
  • Like 12

Thanks for starting this thread.

Yes, now over three weeks and no refund. I have attempted every way possible to push for my money with no avail. Yesterday I came to the conclusion that they will not be refunding our money. Cruise lines use our deposits and cruise money (90 days paid in a advance) to fund day to day operations. It’s not held in trust. When all the ships ceased operations, what little operating money they had left is being carefully kept to keep themselves afloat for the next few months. Cruise refunds take days to issue not weeks. They will tell you that they are all working from home and be understanding. This is code for ‘give us more time to wear you down’ as they know that they have no money to pay you.

i wrote a letter to the Larry their CEO and sent it to an officer onboard one of the ships. It was forwarded to the head office. No response. After 22 cruises with RCI, I am prepared to pull the plug and never set foot on any of their ships again if I am not paid today. No response.

i know this sounds pessimistic and very sad, however all of the large cruise ship companies will need to raise Billions to stay afloat. Then they will need to restart operations in a down economy with a past clientele avoiding cruising for the short term. Their bread and butter loyal clients like my wife and myself, Diamond, Elite and Discoverer plus members who were screwed will be lost forever. In short, the way they have been operating using our money to survive will be their ultimate death.

Sorry to say.

I am so let down...

1 hour ago, grayjay said:

Might be different in other countries but I think we'll have to wait quite some time: Our travel agency told us it might take up to 8 weeks for the refund to be processed by Azamara when I asked because our refund didn't come after 3 weeks of waiting.

Azamara does not need 8 weeks. They need the money which they don’t have. Best to write it off and move on with life.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, MakingUpForLostTime said:

Azamara does not need 8 weeks. They need the money which they don’t have. Best to write it off and move on with life.

I can certainly understand that you are frustrated, but I think you’re being too impatient.  Give them a chance to get through the many, many refunds they have to process.  I have waited a lot longer for refunds from many companies in much less chaotic conditions than this!

Edited by lisiamc
  • Like 3

Just now, lisiamc said:

I think you’re being too impatient.  Give them a chance to get through the many, many refunds they have to process.  I have waited a lot longer for refunds from many companies in much less chaotic conditions than this!

You need to read their financial statements. Understand that this is not a logistical issue which patience is required. If there is no money, then time is irrelevant and people wanting to send you money and telling you to be patient will be soon unemployed themselves. They are sending the message that upper management has told them to send while at the same time paying themselves huge salaries at our expense.

Check the facts then have hope.

I’ve also read about the $2.2 billion loan they’ve just received to protect their liquidity and see them through the current situation.  That makes me feel confident that they are making plans and provisions for the future.

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, MakingUpForLostTime said:

Please provide link. Thanks

It’s all over the web if you search for RCCL loan. Here’s a link for a Reuter’s article.

https://www.reuters.com/article/us-health-coronavirus-royal-carib-crus/royal-caribbean-directors-step-in-to-help-with-new-bank-loan-idUSKBN21A3XT

Like others here I think you are probably being too pessimistic and a little impatient. Three weeks is not long and they are dealing with an  unprecedented situation.

We have decided that if our October cruise is cancelled we will ask for a future cruise credit, because we want to see Azamara keep going so we can cruise in future - and so they can keep on employing all their onshore staff and crew.

• Like 9

I agree with Host Grandma and others.  Three weeks is usual when there is not a global pandemic going on.  They have big issues and a lot of things that need to happen.  I believe patience is needed.  I have waited longer than three weeks for refunds from other companies during normal times.  They did indeed secure the 2.2 billion dollar loan and are doing their best under a very bad situation.  We have a B2B2B booked for June.  Do I think we will be able to go?  Probably not, but we will wait and see how this all plays out.

• Like 3

I recall reading somewhere that Azamara said it would be 30 days for a refund to be processed. I did receive an email with the FCC part of the refund attached. Still waiting for the %refund that was in cash and the refund for My Choice Air flight on a cruise that was cancelled March 11.. 

Wouldn’t start worrying until at least 30 days.have passed

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Host Grandma Cruising said:

It’s all over the web if you search for RCCL loan. Here’s a link for a Reuter’s article.

https://www.reuters.com/article/us-health-coronavirus-royal-carib-crus/royal-caribbean-directors-step-in-to-help-with-new-bank-loan-idUSKBN21A3XT

Like others here I think you are probably being too pessimistic and a little impatient. Three weeks is not long and they are dealing with an  unprecedented situation.

We have decided that if our October cruise is cancelled we will ask for a future cruise credit, because we want to see Azamara keep going so we can cruise in future - and so they can keep on employing all their onshore staff and crew.

You are a kind person.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Phxazzcruisers said:

I agree with Host Grandma and others.  Three weeks is usual when there is not a global pandemic going on.  They have big issues and a lot of things that need to happen.  I believe patience is needed.  I have waited longer than three weeks for refunds from other companies during normal times.  They did indeed secure the 2.2 billion dollar loan and are doing their best under a very bad situation.  We have a B2B2B booked for June.  Do I think we will be able to go?  Probably not, but we will wait and see how this all plays out.

We’re probably in the same B2B2B in June. No way they’re going ahead. On the assumption we’ll get 125% FCC when Azamara formally cancels them, yesterday we’ve booked a third 2021 cruise to join our B2B booked in May-Jun 2021. 

We’ll get to apply the FCC against all three cruises and have a small balance payment. I can’t believe that many, many large business won’t be able to restart when this is over. The entire cruise industry seems to be in the same boat (ha ha) at the moment and I believe some of them are too big to fail. Indeed, if the big cruise conglomerates fail, then the fallout across many other industries must surely also fail, with worldwide devastating outcomes. Just don’t see it.

So, I encourage other optimists to help Azamara get back to business in a few months, by taking the FCC rather than refund.

This should not be construed as any criticism of those who want a refund. I we’ll understand why many people will want this.

• Like 7

From my own perspective it is way too early to make a decision on whether to cruise in the near future, in support of my beloved cruiseline and crew or not. This will not be my main driver. Keeping myself safe and comfortable to visit these places again is top priority. In my view this is no time for heroic loyalty. 

Phil 

• Like 6

1 minute ago, excitedofharpenden said:

From my own perspective it is way too early to make a decision on whether to cruise in the near future, in support of my beloved cruiseline and crew or not. This will not be my main driver. Keeping myself safe and comfortable to visit these places again is top priority. In my view this is no time for heroic loyalty. 

Phil 

Not blind loyalty, self interest - we love cruising with Azamara and want to be able to do so again in the future, however long that may be. 

• Like 6

12 minutes ago, Host Grandma Cruising said:

Not blind loyalty, self interest - we love cruising with Azamara and want to be able to do so again in the future, however long that may be. 

Whilst I might like to continue but like Phil its too early to say yes or not to future cruises.  It will all depend where the cruise is to and how I assess the risk for that location 

• Like 1

When this crisis is over, I also hope to cruise again. If those cruises will be with Azamara it will depend very much on how Azamara comes out of this situation and if the company does not keep the price policy they had before the Coronavirus, including their not so much solo friendly policy. Those policies  have created a lot of dissatisfaction among us,  loyal cruisers, and has driven us to look for other cruise lines. It is a difficult time for the travel industry indeed. We will see, who survives, and how they expect to recover clients again.
Ivi

6 hours ago, ptrpanpens said:

I recall reading somewhere that Azamara said it would be 30 days for a refund to be processed. I did receive an email with the FCC part of the refund attached. Still waiting for the %refund that was in cash and the refund for My Choice Air flight on a cruise that was cancelled March 11.. 

I note you are in LA and have received the FCC part of your compensation.

I have read from others in USA, posted on 22 March, they have also received the FCC part of their cancelled cruise (17 March, Dubai to Dubai) as well as refund to credit card for other items such as shore excursions.

Seems it takes much longer for that FCC email to cross USA and the Pacific Ocean to Australia, as we still have nothing. 🙃

I understand the refund may take longer, but surely if some fellow non-cruisers have received FCC for a cruise cancelled by Azamara, then all who were on the same cruise should also have received the FCC. 🤔

My guess is they, along with other travel companies, are hoping the rules regarding cash refunds will change and therefore will drag out the cash refund as long as possible. I hope that i am wrong though.

Abta has demanded the government suspend the travel industry’s refund rules or face “catastrophic damage to the UK travel industry, and widespread consumer detriment”.

14 hours ago, ptrpanpens said:

Actually, I think the time to start worrying has passed.  If they were busy processing refunds, then some would have received them by now.   That's why I asked if anyone had received a full refund for a cancelled cruise, so far nobody has responded.  Only people with partial refunds have received them. 

One option is to dispute the charge on your credit card as I think we will never see any money from Azamara.  If they intended to refund, they would have started the process, but so far not a penny and they ignore emails about the subject. 

Edited by larhode

10 hours ago, uktog said:

Whilst I might like to continue but like Phil its too early to say yes or not to future cruises.  It will all depend where the cruise is to and how I assess the risk for that location 

Quite agree - it’s essential to assess the risks in any location whether you’re going there on a cruise or a land based holiday. 

11 hours ago, larhode said:

Actually, I think the time to start worrying has passed.  If they were busy processing refunds, then some would have received them by now.   That's why I asked if anyone had received a full refund for a cancelled cruise, so far nobody has responded.  Only people with partial refunds have received them. 

One option is to dispute the charge on your credit card as I think we will never see any money from Azamara.  If they intended to refund, they would have started the process, but so far not a penny and they ignore emails about the subject. 

Good grief!  There’s a worldwide pandemic and you’re concerned about a refund in 30 days.  In normal circumstances I’m sure you would have had it in 30 days.  Right now every cruise line is dealing with thousands of cancellations. Please have some patience.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1