Dr. Fauci says travel bans should remain even after the coronavirus recedes in the USA

ontheweb

Of course he's going to say that, especially in the world's current environment. If you say "go ahead and travel" at the first sign that things may have gotten better, and then things get worse, who do they blame? When you're responsible these days, there is no other option than to take extra precaution.

• Like 2

46 minutes ago, Joebucks said:

Of course he's going to say that, especially in the world's current environment. If you say "go ahead and travel" at the first sign that things may have gotten better, and then things get worse, who do they blame? When you're responsible these days, there is no other option than to take extra precaution.

Absolutely!  Look at those people on the HAL ship with the company begging Florida to let them dock.  Things change daily and what we think is wise today seems foolish the next day.  I saw those cheap prices on that HAL cruise but thought "No Way!"  Obviously, some though it was a great idea.  

• Like 3

7 minutes ago, John Bull said:

Our North American cousins are lucky - the US and Canada have some amazing places & scenery :classic_smile:

But then we risk carrying it to or getting it from those other places.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/lifestyle/travel/hiking-coronavirus-national-parks-communities/2020/03/24/7cd516d4-6d32-11ea-aa80-c2470c6b2034_story.html?utm_campaign=wp_by_the_way&utm_medium=email&utm_source=newsletter&wpisrc=nl_bytheway

20 minutes ago, clo said:

For sure, while there's a lock-down.

And I was forgetting that there are places in the US where there isn't currently a lock-down.

I'm thinking of later in the year. 

Hopefully September?

JB :classic_smile:

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, John Bull said:

For sure, while there's a lock-down.

And I was forgetting that there are places in the US where there isn't currently a lock-down.

I'm thinking of later in the year. 

Hopefully September?

I got to thinking this morning about what you said. Areas that aren't locked down. At some point are 'those people' going to start traveling into 'our' areas and exposing us? Since we're social distancing are we then going to still be subject to infection from asymptomatic people? For me anyway, this goes back to a vaccine. So I'm hoping for something next spring.

1 hour ago, John Bull said:

I gotta be blunt. :classic_sad:

We're in the vulnerable age group, and until there's a vaccine we won't be flying or cruising.

We get our flu jabs each winter, and have been happy to fly and cruise.

When a vaccine for COVID-19 is available, we'll be happy to fly and cruise again.

In the meantime - and once the lock-down allows us - it's about time we discovered parts of our British Isles that get mentioned on Cruise Critic but which we've never visited. :classic_rolleyes: 

Ditto parts of mainland Europe via ferry or Channel tunnel. :classic_smile:

Our North American cousins are lucky - the US and Canada have some amazing places & scenery :classic_smile:

And we've probably seen more of it than most North Americans.

Keep safe, folks.

And follow the rules :classic_wink:

Local travel (once restrictions are lifted, of course) sounds like a good plan.  Many of us live in or near areas that others pay to travel and see while we ignore or take for granted.  My sister had planned to visit England and Ireland this year but will now wait.

(warning about the video would have been nice 😉 )

2 hours ago, jocap said:

John Bull-  in the third week of lock down, it will be enough for us BOTH to be in the car together... and perhaps visit the nearest beach!

My nearest beach is right opposite me, Jo. :classic_tongue:

I used to watch cruise ships sail off to foreign lands. :classic_smile:

Now they still come and go from time to time - P&O ships out to dump their black tanks, Marella Celebration in from her anchorage for bunkering & supplies. And the occasional stray from the other side of the world.

It's not the same :classic_sad:

You're surely not far from a beach?

Stay safe

(which of course you will - can't catch it from sheep.:classic_biggrin:)

• Haha 1

He isn't completely wrong. China lifted some restricitions and the virus had a resurgence. As long as there are hotspots around the world opening up travel will mean exposing the country to the risk of bringing in more infections. It will probably come down to how clear is the world of corona before you open the borders. In the end we will have to take it day by day and review how the situation is changing but I suppose it would be unrealistic to take the option of keeping borders closed off the table.

As long as the economy does not suffer maybe such restrictions can be applied for some time. As long as my consitutionla rights are not violated they can make any restrictions they want. I hope it wont grow into a total pandemia and we will be able to safely leave our homes and play with kids. Moreover, this doctor has his own perception of the situation. His views are very medical while we see the situation.. as we see it. Will see how it goes 

• Like 1

14 hours ago, John Bull said:

My nearest beach is right opposite me, Jo. :classic_tongue:

You're surely not far from a beach?

Stay safe

(which of course you will - can't catch it from sheep.:classic_biggrin:)

Yes- a mile as the seagull flies; bit longer by footpath.

Sheep- Herdwicks, brought over by the Vikings- are down in the fields- they don't lamb for another 2 weeks because of living in the mountains... and are black when they're born.

Local bobbies have been stopping cars containing 2 people... 🙄 ... so we go out on foot. 

Keep safe! x

• Like 1

5 hours ago, ilikeanswers said:

He isn't completely wrong. China lifted some restricitions and the virus had a resurgence. As long as there are hotspots around the world opening up travel will mean exposing the country to the risk of bringing in more infections. It will probably come down to how clear is the world of corona before you open the borders. In the end we will have to take it day by day and review how the situation is changing but I suppose it would be unrealistic to take the option of keeping borders closed off the table.

Completely agree. For those of us social distancing etc. I assume we're ripe for infection. Our NV governor extended our 'closed for business' until the end of April. I'm betting at least another month. 

5 hours ago, Roger88 said:

Moreover, this doctor has his own perception of the situation. His views are very medical while we see the situation.. as we see it.

And I want the medical to pretty much be the only road to travel. Compared to 240,000 deaths in the US alone, it seems a pretty easy answer. BTW this isn't his or anyone else's "perception." It's the math.

Logic dictates that the restrictions ease slowly.  We shouldn’t go from on one day no groups larger then ten to the next day anything goes.  There could be months or years between the day it is okay for schools and most buildings can open and the day that it is acceptable to restart cruise lines and hold events like NYE in Times Square.  I would expect that there will be a full season in which it is considered safe for sports teams to compete in front of empty stadiums and televised, because of a limit on the number of people in a given area that is greater than 10 but less than 1000.   

• Like 1

We’re figuring on at least 18 months before we are traveling again to give the medical combine an opportunity to gear-up, with additional support from new approved meds (oh fingers crossed!).  Right now Colorado is in lock-down, which I’m hoping is extended past the current April 11 end-date. 

• Like 3

This is why the antibody tests coming on line are so critical, and potential gamechangers.  If Dr. Fauci is right, they will allow us to identify people who have already had the virus and are now immune and not shedding active viruses.  These people can safely re-enter non-social-distanced society and start getting the economy moving at a better pace without risk to themselves or others.  I hope he is right, as this would allow us to begin partially re-activating the economy. 

A vaccine would be nice, and is still needed, but unless its effectiveness is VASTLY higher than flu vaccines it won't be a panacea.  

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, LoriPhil said:

We’re figuring on at least 18 months before we are traveling again to give the medical combine an opportunity to gear-up, with additional support from new approved meds (oh fingers crossed!).  Right now Colorado is in lock-down, which I’m hoping is extended past the current April 11 end-date. 

Nevada's just got extended to April 30 and I'm betting it's going out at least another month. Our governor is being quite 'pro-active.'

On topic - when the threat “recedes” means only that it is no longer increasing, or has even stopped growing, but at best is only slightly lessening.  The surest way to get iit to start increasing again is to prematurely resume coming together in crowds in confined spaces.  Bluntly put: until COVID19 has significantly declined and/or a vaccine has been developed, responsible national authorities will not permit cruises to operate from their ports.

Tighten your belts, folks.  Cruising is great, but certainly far down on the list st of important activities — and those who still have the resources to pay for cruises may find themselves paying significantly increased taxes to fund the government’s ability to recover fro the deep recession we now almost certainly face.  This is not just a health crisis, but a financial crisis which may well dwarf anything seen since the 1930’s — which brought about marginal income tax rates well over 90%.

It is not just social interaction which is to be impacted for the foreseeable future. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Just now, navybankerteacher said:

On topic - when the threat “recedes” means only that it is no longer increasing, or has even stopped growing, but at best is only slightly lessening.  The surest way to get iit to start increasing again is to prematurely resume coming together in crowds in confined spaces.  Bluntly put: until COVID19 has significantly declined and/or a vaccine has been developed, responsible national authorities will not permit cruises to operate from their ports.

Tighten your belts, folks.  Cruising is great, but certainly far down on the list st of important activities — and those who still have the resources to pay for cruises may find themselves paying significantly increased taxes to fund the government’s ability to recover from the deep recession we now almost certainly face.  This is not just a health crisis, but a financial crisis which may well dwarf anything seen since the 1930’s — which brought about marginal income tax rates well over 90%.

It is not just social interaction which is to be impacted for the foreseeable future. 

9 hours ago, Toofarfromthesea said:

but unless its effectiveness is VASTLY higher than flu vaccines it won't be a panacea.  

The effectiveness of the flu vaccine depends on how well the scientists can predict what strains of the flu (and there are many) will be predominant a year and a half out.  And they can usually only combine 3 or 4 of the in the one shot.

COVID-19 vaccine will target just one disease, which mutates much more slowly than flu strains (it's only had 8 variations so far).

Dr. Fauci is right.

We are only at the very beginning of this scourge.  Who knows where it will go in NA.   One thing for certain, if we had listened to Dr. Fauci a few months ago instead of burying our heads in the sand we would be in a far better place of preparedness  to lessen the impact and shorten the time frames that we are now collectively dealing with.

Edited by iancal
  • Like 3

People are just now really starting to take things seriously.  Only one person per family allowed in stores;  “one way” arrows taped on aisles in stores; tape marking six foot spread while in lines;  plexiglass sheets shielding cashiers;  most people in storeswearing face masks — usually bandannas - hardly “medical grade”, but sufficient to largely protect.

Neighboring New York State is anticipating thousands of deaths in next three weeks- USN hospital ship at Manhattan cruise pier - accepting non-COVID overflow, emergency hospitals set up in Central Park and at convention center.

Sadly, a lot of people still do not seem to know how long six feet is.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, navybankerteacher said:

People are just now really starting to take things seriously.  Only one person per family allowed in stores;  “one way” arrows taped on aisles in stores; tape marking six foot spread while in lines;  plexiglass sheets shielding cashiers;  most people in storeswearing face masks — usually bandannas - hardly “medical grade”, but sufficient to largely protect.

Neighboring New York State is anticipating thousands of deaths in next three weeks- USN hospital ship at Manhattan cruise pier - accepting non-COVID overflow, emergency hospitals set up in Central Park and at convention center.

Sadly, a lot of people still do not seem to know how long six feet is.

I have neighbors who are in their late 70’s with significant health problems who still go to the supermarket every day. I am sure that they hear or watch our Governor telling people not to do that but they continue to go.