Marella Cancellations

People must have the money available to pay balances or they would have lost their cruise through default so what's the difference.

Would you be ok with going into a car showroom and paying for a car that doesnt exist and then being told the refund will be sorted in the future? 

people cancelling before the cruise is cancelled aren't helping.

But they will forfeit their deposits anyway.

10 hours ago, Vitalsign said:

Brummijam - no I don't  We have moved our cruise 23rd June to November and we got a good discount

i was just saying do not cancel and carry on as if you were going and you'll get your money back 

People must have the money available to pay balances or they would have lost their cruise through default so what's the difference if you get it back nearer to the time of your cruise departure? I just don't understand They can't pay everybody back at once and I wouldn't want them to go bust TUI will be insured in case they can't sail but won't be able to claim unless the Government advice says so

Their website now says if you book a cruise you will not have to pay the balance until 4 weeks before sailing so that they don't have a problem with refunds They are not trying to hold on to everyone's money they are trying to deal with it chronologically and people cance

PS anyone over the age of 70 or wth underlying health problems can cancel with a full refund if their cruise sails before the end of June - its on the website but nobody seems to read it

Please can you add a link to the section on the Marella website which says you can cancel with a full refund if you are 70 or have an underlying health condition? I've trawled the site but can only see that anybody due to sail before 30th June can amend to another cruise or holiday for free.  Thanks

30 minutes ago, suekay said:

Please can you add a link to the section on the Marella website which says you can cancel with a full refund if you are 70 or have an underlying health condition? I've trawled the site but can only see that anybody due to sail before 30th June can amend to another cruise or holiday for free.  Thanks

Can I please second this request - couldn't find a reference.

We have a package holiday next month which will not be going ahead - so I assume the over 70 refund deal would apply across all TUI bookings ?

As the regulations stand, a refund is an applicable option to all bookings cancelled by TUI, regardless of age or health criteria.

"They are not trying to hold on to everyone's money they are trying to deal with it chronologically and people cancelling before the cruise is cancelled aren't helping."

It helps TUI - they retain the lost deposits.

Customers losing jobs and businesses, so requests for timeous refunds are not unreasonable  - TUI are quick enough to take clients money.................................................

Edited by WeeCountyMan
Spelling
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, suekay said:

It isn't there now,  it was only up for a couple of days - just after the FCO advised against cruises. 

Due to the ongoing situation regarding COVID-19, the Foreign Commonwealth Office have advised against all but essential travel. We have therefore been forced to cancel sailings on all of our Marella cruise ships.

If you are due to travel on a Marella Discovery cruise, all sailings up to and including 17th April 2020 have been cancelled.

If you are due to travel on a Marella Discovery 2, Dream, Explorer or Explorer 2 cruise, all sailings up to and including 16th April 2020 have been cancelled.

If you are due to travel on a Marella Celebration cruise, all sailings up to and including 30th April 2020 have been cancelled.

We are contacting customers directly to offer a range of flexible options, prioritising those with the most immediate sailings.

The advice page we read that I mention in my post has been updated sorry and doesn't say what a previous update said BUT

Ring this no tel:02036361931

The above  is the latest update on Marella page dated 17th March As soon as the FCO before this date said that no one over 70 etc should travel we contacted TUI about our April 12th cruise This was Monday 16th March the day after my 70th Birthday and after I had rung my travel insurers to ask if I could still cruise (my hubbie is 70) and they said we would not be insured. At that point TUI had not cancelled the cruise On contacting them we were immediately given a refund and the money was back on our credit card by Thursday 19th March

We also had a cruise booked for 23rd June so we discussed this cruise also and we were told we would have to wait until nearer the departure date but we could transfer it to another cruise as they felt the cruise would be cancelled eventually We decided to transfer to another cruise in November at no extra cost We were reassured that if this cruise was cancelled in the future or the FCO advice was still in force for over 70s or people with underlying health problems by November we could get a refund or use the money to pay the balance on our April 2021 cruise.

I have another cruise booked in Sept with a friend who is under 70 and that is still in force currently awaiting news of whether this will be cancelled or the FCO advice is still in force.

I hope this helps Please remember if TUI have cancelled the cruise then you are entitled to a refund. If the FCO advice is you should not travel then you can get a refund

From what I can see Marella have now run out of money and are just burying their heads in the sand, ignoring everybody and everything!

We had a cruise booked on the 14th February for the 22nd March, paid in full with a credit card.

They cancelled the cruise on 13th March (just ahead of the mass cancellations?) and the email said as we booked online we would receive a refund to the credit card in 7-10 days. It has been 3 weeks now. Seen nothing. Heard nothing further.

They fobbed off my first email about rebooking for August or September and have ignored all subsequent ones.

Their website offers absolutely zero help as the cruise's date is in the past.

Their phone lines quite literally take you round in a circle of options or just cut you off after 5 minutes.

Thank God I booked with a credit card is all I can say!

Edited by The Collapsing Hrung

1 hour ago, The Collapsing Hrung said:

From what I can see Marella have now run out of money and are just burying their heads in the sand, ignoring everybody and everything!

We had a cruise booked on the 14th February for the 22nd March, paid in full with a credit card.

They cancelled the cruise on 13th March (just ahead of the mass cancellations?) and the email said as we booked online we would receive a refund to the credit card in 7-10 days. It has been 3 weeks now. Seen nothing. Heard nothing further.

They fobbed off my first email about rebooking for August or September and have ignored all subsequent ones.

Their website offers absolutely zero help as the cruise's date is in the past.

Their phone lines quite literally take you round in a circle of options or just cut you off after 5 minutes.

Thank God I booked with a credit card is all I can say!

Same here, It will certainly be remembered when we can book again.😤👎

• Like 1

Looks like TUI have been overwhelmed by the scale of enforced cancellations.

However I don't think they are helping anybody by stalling on cancelling imminent cruises and holidays and bodyswerving clients looking for refunds.

They are still trying to sell packages etc. in the very near future - that's going to cause more self inflicted problems in due course.

For example,  7 nights HB in Gran Canaria from Gatwick on Sat. 18th April - talk about having a laugh.

22 hours ago, Vitalsign said:
Due to the ongoing situation regarding COVID-19, the Foreign Commonwealth Office have advised against all but essential travel. We have therefore been forced to cancel sailings on all of our Marella cruise ships.

If you are due to travel on a Marella Discovery cruise, all sailings up to and including 17th April 2020 have been cancelled.

If you are due to travel on a Marella Discovery 2, Dream, Explorer or Explorer 2 cruise, all sailings up to and including 16th April 2020 have been cancelled.

If you are due to travel on a Marella Celebration cruise, all sailings up to and including 30th April 2020 have been cancelled.

We are contacting customers directly to offer a range of flexible options, prioritising those with the most immediate sailings.

The advice page we read that I mention in my post has been updated sorry and doesn't say what a previous update said BUT

Ring this no tel:02036361931

The above  is the latest update on Marella page dated 17th March As soon as the FCO before this date said that no one over 70 etc should travel we contacted TUI about our April 12th cruise This was Monday 16th March the day after my 70th Birthday and after I had rung my travel insurers to ask if I could still cruise (my hubbie is 70) and they said we would not be insured. At that point TUI had not cancelled the cruise On contacting them we were immediately given a refund and the money was back on our credit card by Thursday 19th March

We also had a cruise booked for 23rd June so we discussed this cruise also and we were told we would have to wait until nearer the departure date but we could transfer it to another cruise as they felt the cruise would be cancelled eventually We decided to transfer to another cruise in November at no extra cost We were reassured that if this cruise was cancelled in the future or the FCO advice was still in force for over 70s or people with underlying health problems by November we could get a refund or use the money to pay the balance on our April 2021 cruise.

I have another cruise booked in Sept with a friend who is under 70 and that is still in force currently awaiting news of whether this will be cancelled or the FCO advice is still in force.

I hope this helps Please remember if TUI have cancelled the cruise then you are entitled to a refund. If the FCO advice is you should not travel then you can get a refund

The phone number that is in this post just sends you to multi choice options and cuts you off.🤷‍♂️

Not having a go at you VS. 😊 

Just annoyed at TUIs lack of information, I have been trying to contact them for a week and it always ends with them terminating the call.  I will give them a couple more days then I will claim on my credit card. It seems to me that they have gone into hiding awaiting for the ok to give out vouchers.

Keep well.

21 hours ago, WeeCountyMan said:

Why did TUI pull their advice that PensionCruiser posted at #32 ?

Could have only been financial, just wish I had known how to copy the full info, it's an age thing🙄. Big coming week for us with BACS transfers promised but not holding our breath, probably looking at section 75 and insurance, something to keep me busy. Keep well one and all🤗

1 hour ago, Pensioncruiser said:

Could have only been financial,

Absolutely.

TUI must have quickly realised that the scale of over 70s applications would open the flood gates for such refunds.

Cue frantic 'phone calls from the senior echelons to pull that advice with immediate effect !!!

Good Luck - keep us posted please.

Edited by WeeCountyMan
spelling

Fully expecting our June Discovery cruise to be cancelled, but knowing that we probably won't have confirmation until two weeks prior to sailing date I looked at booking the same cruise/same date/ same grade of cabin for 2021. It would cost over £600pp more than we paid this year. Much as I would like to help Tui weather the storm, that is not going to happen and I will be requesting  a full refund. Failing that, I will be contacting my credit card company for reimbursement and they can take up the battle with Tui.

Going to play devil's advocate here, it's no wonder nobody can get an answer, staff are being layed off or working from home.

I'm currently working from home and i have to say it's not even remotely like working from the office.

Everything is slower and very "clunky", if they are feeding phone calls through to the Customer Service reps at home, they must be getting driven mad by the shear scale of calls received.

Think about how you are feeling cooped up at home under lockdown and then imagine the phone ringing all day, every day, as soon as you finish a call, it rings again. 

I can understand someone who is due to sail / fly in the next couple of weeks, but people are ringing about holidays later in the year or some that i have read that have booked next year!!

Give things a chance to settle down, all of the holiday firms are in the same boat, they are a business very much in trouble because of the situation that we all find ourselves in.

The world is in chaos and we are panicking about our next cruise, take a deep breath, thank your God that you can still take a holiday  in the future when we get through this.

Sorry to sound virtuous or whatever, but there are worse things happening out there right now.

• Like 2

Ye it's on their Facebook website - all cruises cancelled up to 31 May 2020. We were due to embark on the 20 May so looks like I will have to wait for them to contact me........wonder how long I will have to wait???

Wednesday 8 April 2020 09:43, UK

The UK's largest travel firm has cancelled its beach holidays for the next five weeks due to the coronavirus pandemic.

Tui said on Wednesday that all trips up to and including 14 May were being axed and its Marella Cruises sailings have been suspended until at least June.

A Tui spokeswoman said: "We are constantly monitoring the situation and will start taking people on holiday again as soon as we are able to do so.

"At this point in time, nobody can accurately predict when that will be, so for the time being we will keep a close eye on our programme and continue to amend and adapt timings in line with the latest global travel advice."

Customers who have had their booking cancelled "will be able to amend their holiday to any other Tui package
holiday on sale on its website, she added.
The firm did not clarify whether consumers would have their bookings refunded.

At last some definite news....All cruises cancelled until end of May. I hope Marella contact me soon.

I get what people are saying about Marella being stretched and staff working from home etc., but as a key worker myself,  my employer would very much like to know if I will still be taking 2 weeks off in May.....we were supposed to be visiting Italy and slotting the cruise in the middle of the trip. I also can not just switch to another cruise/holiday, as getting time off from work has to be booked months in advance and as so many holidays are being cancelled, and staff cancel their annual leave, when holidays do start up again there’s going to be a rush to book time off.....so no way can we just switch to another cruise. I also need to cancel associated hotels and flights for the May holiday...something I have been reluctant to do without Marella confirming first that the cruise was cancelled. Hopefully we can now get something sorted with them re a refund soon. Maybe we will attempt a cruise again some time, but I don’t think it will be this year ☹️