NSW Police has ordered Pacific Explorer to leave Sydney!!

Okay, I'm still confused, thank you Pushka and Chiliburn  for trying to help. So because there are several ships standing off in the area of Sydney. The police commissioner can order an apparently disease free ship with a home office in Australia and flagged in the UK to leave. Sorry that is not a police matter, if the National Director of infectious disease made that decision that's another matter. The police, not so much. The police are there to enforce the law and the courts, is there a court order for this ship to leave? If so the police must enforce it. No court order, the police commissioner is out of bounds.

1 minute ago, Blackduck59 said:

Okay, I'm still confused, thank you Pushka and Chiliburn  for trying to help. So because there are several ships standing off in the area of Sydney. The police commissioner can order an apparently disease free ship with a home office in Australia and flagged in the UK to leave. Sorry that is not a police matter, if the National Director of infectious disease made that decision that's another matter. The police, not so much. The police are there to enforce the law and the courts, is there a court order for this ship to leave? If so the police must enforce it. No court order, the police commissioner is out of bounds.

I believe the captains have refused because of safety reasons.

They have been threatened with prison 

2 minutes ago, Chiliburn said:

What are they going to do storm on board and remove the Master ....???

That would be real fun to watch ...Australia being made fools in front of the world

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Just now, VK3DQ said:

That would be real fun to watch ...Australia being made fools in front of the world

I’m sure the courts would support the master of the ship for looking after his crews welfare.

9 minutes ago, Chiliburn said:

So they intend to arrest the Captain and his ship? The Commissioner will have fun finding a magistrate that would take that case.

Chiliburn you were faster on the keyboard than me🙂

Edited by Blackduck59
spelling error

7 minutes ago, VK3DQ said:

It's not the first time, under this government.

2 minutes ago, Blackduck59 said:

So they intend to arrest the Captain and his ship? The Commissioner will have fun finding a magistrate that would take that case.

Chiliburn your were faster on the keyboard than me🙂

They haven't said they plan to arrest anybody. They're just placing orders at the moment. What the consequence of denying those orders is is all part of the negotiation they're having.

• Like 1

Just now, Blackduck59 said:

Chiliburn your were faster on the keyboard than me🙂

Wouldn’t it be a legal nightmare.

I remember at the captains corner,someone asked the captain what law prevails on this ship.

He said, it’s a American ship,registered in the Bahamas,based in Australia and currently in international waters.

No one really knows.

• Haha 1

9 minutes ago, Chiliburn said:

Give me the virus any day.

Apparently in America the ship has to be built in America and crewed to get the full benefits 

To be able to transport passengers between domestic ports in America, the ship has to be built in USA and crewed by Americans. The only cruise ship that tries to comply is the ship that cruises between Hawaiian ports.

10 minutes ago, VK3DQ said:

If this happened yesterday, MAYBE we could have thought it was an April Fool's Joke. But it is no joke.

Just now, Aus Traveller said:

To be able to transport passengers between domestic ports in America, the ship has to be built in USA and crewed by Americans. The only cruise ship that tries to comply is the ship that cruises between Hawaiian ports.

I believe carnival is trying to comply with it ,but apparently it hard.

20 minutes ago, Blackduck59 said:

As I said, The Armed Services are only commanded by the Federal Government and it is no longer a State matter but a Federal matter.  

The Police and NSW Police Commissioner are likely no longer involved. It has gone up to the highest level.  Australias Defence Force will make any appropriate moves. 

Edited by Pushka

Just now, Chiliburn said:

I believe carnival is trying to comply with it ,but apparently it hard.

In America it is the PVSA Act. To comply, the crew have to be paid in accordance with USA wages and conditions. This makes the cruises more expensive. There have been comments that the level of service and the attitude of the crew are not what we are used to on the other cruise ships.

1 minute ago, The_Big_M said:

They haven't said they plan to arrest anybody. They're just placing orders at the moment. What the consequence of denying those orders is is all part of the negotiation they're having.

Is it a court order or a police order, if it's a police order the commissioner is in for a world of hurt. He is directly subverting the power of the court. Crown counsel will be livid, they bring charges and request court orders. Maybe the Commissioner wants to retire.😁 

1 minute ago, Pushka said:

As I said, The Armed Services are only commanded by the Federal Government and it is no longer a State matter but a Federal matter.  

I thought the suggestion of Naval personnel checking on the welfare and health of the crew referred to the shops waiting off-shore. I didn't want to say "anchored" because I don't know if the waters are too deep for them to actually anchor.

Just now, Aus Traveller said:

I thought the suggestion of Naval personnel checking on the welfare and health of the crew referred to the shops waiting off-shore. I didn't want to say "anchored" because I don't know if the waters are too deep for them to actually anchor.

I understand it is all ships. Thats what the Intervew on TV mentioned.

2 minutes ago, Blackduck59 said:

Is it a court order or a police order, if it's a police order the commissioner is in for a world of hurt. He is directly subverting the power of the court. Crown counsel will be livid, they bring charges and request court orders. Maybe the Commissioner wants to retire.😁 

I have not heard that it is a Court Order, just an order by the Police Commissioner. This will make a very interesting legal case.

Where is our resident legal expert (Mr GUT) when we need him?

Edited by Aus Traveller
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, Blackduck59 said:

Thisn isnt relevant anymore! Never was. The Federal Government has taken over.  

Edited by Pushka

4 minutes ago, Pushka said:

I understand it is all ships. Thats what the Intervew on TV mentioned.

In the article I read, they mentioned Naval personnel going by helicopter to the ships to check out the crew. Maybe that indicates ships at sea.

P.S. Here is is a quote

Doctors will be flown on to foreign cruise ships sitting stranded off the New South Wales coast in a joint government operation to test and evacuate patients needing urgent coronavirus treatment.

Once crews have been treated, the federal government will increase pressure on foreign cruise companies to sail away from Australia.

Edited by Aus Traveller
  • Like 1

8 minutes ago, Chiliburn said:

Wouldn’t it be a legal nightmare.

I remember at the captains corner,someone asked the captain what law prevails on this ship.

He said, it’s a American ship,registered in the Bahamas,based in Australia and currently in international waters.

No one really knows.

No Its a Bahamian Ship  owned by A USA company operating in Australia .....