NSW Police has ordered Pacific Explorer to leave Sydney!!

1 hour ago, Aus Traveller said:

Before this COVID crisis, Australia had 2200 ICU beds, but the government has quickly doubled that capacity and is increasing it still further. Doctors and nurses who are not currently working in the medical system have been asked to return to work.

We haven't got to the point where USA has: dentists are being brought in, with the next stage, vets also. At first glance, this might sound surprising, but I am sure they will do a great job. They don't have to consult with patients to determine a diagnosis (probably one of the toughest jobs for a doctor) but they will be treating patients.

I am very happy to read this information👍. At the end of the day I am not saying it is right but I do understand where the government is coming from. We don't know how bad it will get so it is prudent to prepare for the worst and if they think that if an infection breaking out amongst cruise employees is going to be a tipping point than they have to make the decision that is best for the system. There will be lot of controversial decisions made by the time this is over. We can only hope that they were the right ones. 

Though I do wonder has anyone asked the crew where they want to be🤔? When they signed up for the job I doubt they knew how bad the lock downs would get. 

At the head of the pages is a green banner Please Take Moment To Read....Remember Our Purpose

https://boards.cruisecritic.com/announcement/458-please-take-moment-to-readremember-our-purpose/

The world has become a changing place; we're all stressed, worried and nothing makes sense any longer.  We've lost  jobs, the security of every day life, some experience health issues and yes, some have even lost friends and family.

For 25 years we've provided this haven for cruisers.  KEYWORD:  haven.    I'm asking that you all remember that.  This is our place to escape, connect with friends and to discuss your favorite form of travel -- cruising.

Don't bring politics into your posts.  Soften your "virtual" voice when you respond to others.  Re-read before you push the submit button.  Let's set an example for the rest of the travel world by displaying who we are!  Remember, we're all in this together.

Thank you for listening, and for your anticipated cooperation,

LauraS and the Cruise Critic Community Team

Edited by boeckli
  • Like 1

A reality check. 

1. NOBODY IS PERFECT.

2. HUMANS MAKE MISTAKES.

3. THERE IS NO SUCH THING AS A MAGIC WAND.

If you are so perfect then fix the problems, if you can't then shut up and let the relevant people do their humanly best.

Hi  Folks

I dont want us all to shut up.. thats not the way of things just dont say anything personal about anyone else .. talk about ships , and cruises and if someone says something you disagree with then explain what it is that you think is wrong ...dont call the person an idiot just because they dont agree with you  After all you may be wrong!  (grin)

Regards

John 

• Like 1

Where are the ships going? Have any actually been forced out of Australia or only from NSW? It's worth reminding some people that Sydney is not Australia.

As far as I can see, some ships are heading to the US for whatever Alaska season may eventuate. Some are heading to Singapore. Some are anchored off the Sunshine Coast. Some are heading to Gladstone.

I would suggest refraining from high dudgeon until it's plainer where the ships and their crews are actually going.

9 minutes ago, SinbadThePorter said:

Where are the ships going? Have any actually been forced out of Australia or only from NSW? It's worth reminding some people that Sydney is not Australia.

As far as I can see, some ships are heading to the US for whatever Alaska season may eventuate. Some are heading to Singapore. Some are anchored off the Sunshine Coast. Some are heading to Gladstone.

I would suggest refraining from high dudgeon until it's plainer where the ships and their crews are actually going.

Royal Caribbean are taking some of their crew home to Indonesia and the Philippines. I don't think the Alaska season will eventuate this year. Several ships are waiting off the Sunshine Coast and others are off Gladstone. I hope the Queensland government lets them stay. Even better, the government would let them dock and disembark crew who the cruiseline could fly home on charter flights.

https://viking.tv/index/story/a-message-from-our-chairman if anyone is looking for something cruise related and positive with a view to the future see the link.

never cruised with Viking but it looks something nice to bide our time until we can cruise/travel again? 

2 hours ago, VK3DQ said:

Hi  Folks

I dont want us all to shut up.. thats not the way of things just dont say anything personal about anyone else .. talk about ships , and cruises and if someone says something you disagree with then explain what it is that you think is wrong ...dont call the person an idiot just because they dont agree with you  After all you may be wrong!  (grin)

Regards

John 

By the way have enjoyed your cruise reports. Entertaining style of writing. 

2 hours ago, Aus Traveller said:

Royal Caribbean are taking some of their crew home to Indonesia and the Philippines. I don't think the Alaska season will eventuate this year. Several ships are waiting off the Sunshine Coast and others are off Gladstone. I hope the Queensland government lets them stay. Even better, the government would let them dock and disembark crew who the cruiseline could fly home on charter flights.

Alaska will not be likely to start this year with the record deaths in America looking likely to eclipse Europe. If the cruise ships return to the American mainland and our ports reopen it is unlikely the government will let them back here if they docked in America during the crisis. The way it is looking now with the numbers cruising in Australia, Europe and America will be out of the question for years.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, DiamondFour said:

Alaska will not be likely to start this year with the record deaths in America looking likely to eclipse Europe. If the cruise ships return to the American mainland and our ports reopen it is unlikely the government will let them back here if they docked in America during the crisis. The way it is looking now with the numbers cruising in Australia, Europe and America will be out of the question for years.

I agree with your comments. When cruising does re-start, I think it will be Australian domestic and maybe Aust-NZ. I hope Australia restricts the entry into the country of people from overseas, particularly those with raging infection rates. If the cruises do start as I suggest, I would feel more comfortable if bookings were restricted to Aussies and NZ'ers - sorry to say, but no Americans and none from Europe, and probably not from Asia. I don't mean to sound racist, but we have seen what has happened here when people have come from those areas carrying the virus. Even my daughter-in-law's sister who came back from a holiday in Europe, not knowing she was infected.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Aus Traveller said:

I agree with your comments. When cruising does re-start, I think it will be Australian domestic and maybe Aust-NZ. I hope Australia restricts the entry into the country of people from overseas, particularly those with raging infection rates. If the cruises do start as I suggest, I would feel more comfortable if bookings were restricted to Aussies and NZ'ers - sorry to say, but no Americans and none from Europe, and probably not from Asia. I don't mean to sound racist, but we have seen what has happened here when people have come from those areas carrying the virus. Even my daughter-in-law's sister who came back from a holiday in Europe, not knowing she was infected.

So what you are saying is that You and other Australians should be able to travel wherever, and everyone else can stay home? My wife and I have a cruise and land adventure planned for Australia and New Zealand in January/February of 2021 Have already spent $10,000.00 for airfare (Air New Zealand) and booked another $2,000.00 in accommodation in Australia. We will also need a rental car, food and a domestic flight from Melbourne to Sydney. We figure it will cost in the neighborhood of $6,000.00 to $8,000.00 for our Australian leg, not counting the Cruise which is the New Zealand leg. So if even 500 international passengers did what we plan that is 3.5 million dollars injected into your economy from less that half of the passengers on a ship the size of Eclipse.

We are having concerns about this trip more than ever; not because of the virus, but because it is clear that many people in Australia will treat us badly because we are foreigners. By the way until you hear my Canadian accent, I will probably look just like you. Funny thing I work with a couple of Aussies who have made new lives in Canada, Great guys I was hoping to meet more like them, now I wonder.

30 minutes ago, Blackduck59 said:

So what you are saying is that You and other Australians should be able to travel wherever, and everyone else can stay home? My wife and I have a cruise and land adventure planned for Australia and New Zealand in January/February of 2021 Have already spent $10,000.00 for airfare (Air New Zealand) and booked another $2,000.00 in accommodation in Australia. We will also need a rental car, food and a domestic flight from Melbourne to Sydney. We figure it will cost in the neighborhood of $6,000.00 to $8,000.00 for our Australian leg, not counting the Cruise which is the New Zealand leg. So if even 500 international passengers did what we plan that is 3.5 million dollars injected into your economy from less that half of the passengers on a ship the size of Eclipse.

We are having concerns about this trip more than ever; not because of the virus, but because it is clear that many people in Australia will treat us badly because we are foreigners. By the way until you hear my Canadian accent, I will probably look just like you. Funny thing I work with a couple of Aussies who have made new lives in Canada, Great guys I was hoping to meet more like them, now I wonder.

Unfortunately as this virus spreads I do understand where Aus Traveller is coming from. Singapore has placed more stringent restrictions on Changi Airport because returning Singaporeans were bringing in more COVID 19 infections. Travel is a great way for a virus to spread so most likely when movement restrictions are lifted all countries around the world are probably going to have keep their travel markets domestic till the waves of infection stop. I just don't see what else can be done.

Edited by ilikeanswers

1 hour ago, ilikeanswers said:

Unfortunately as this virus spreads I do understand where Aus Traveller is coming from. Singapore has placed more stringent restrictions on Changi Airport because returning Singaporeans were bringing in more COVID 19 infections. Travel is a great way for a virus to spread so most likely when movement restrictions are lifted all countries around the world are probably going to have keep their travel markets domestic till the waves of infection stop. I just don't see what else can be done.

So what you are saying is that we would be unwelcome in Australia. But maybe the Kiwis would be okay and of course it would be okay for you to travel wherever you like...Canada perhaps. BTW you would be welcome here as soon as the borders are open and I suspect that will be long before January 2021.

Edited by Blackduck59
double word

1 hour ago, ilikeanswers said:

I agree. It was a shock to see infected rates growing in Singapore, when they were so successful first time around. 

There is no desk file on what to do in relation to corona virus.  We have brilliant brains all around the whole trying

to solve this problem virus.  

I think our travel will be restricted to within the State, not Country, for some time.  Lucky I live in a big beautiful state.  However,

the State Govt can easily restrict Queenslanders to certain parts of the State, like Daintree have done, to make the State safer

for all.  With Easter coming up, we've been advised to stay local, and not to travel to the country.  

6 hours ago, Blackduck59 said:

I think what they mean is that our domestic market will open up before foreign visitors are allowed in. The information we are seeing from the news is we do not expect borders to be reopened soon. We know where this virus started. We know the precise city it started and unfortunately their countries silence on the matter and even a lack of apology means we have to prevent our friends and allies from other countries from visiting until they get their cases under control or a vaccine or cure is on the market. Sadly that is how I read it.

Australians will not treat foreigners badly. There may be one country in particular that will not get a polite greeting.

I am guessing at the moment your borders are closed to foreigners as well?

5 hours ago, Blackduck59 said:

So what you are saying is that we would be unwelcome in Australia. But maybe the Kiwis would be okay and of course it would be okay for you to travel wherever you like...Canada perhaps. BTW you would be welcome here as soon as the borders are open and I suspect that will be long before January 2021.

We have no control. I would welcome people from any country when the borders reopen (including china provided they be slapped with a hefty visa fee in the ballpark of $1500 per entry to repay our economy). Its just a waiting game until when our government reopens the borders. I want the open just as much as you.

13 hours ago, lyndarra said:

I am still watching Japan daily. I think they are doing well. It will be my first international country the instant borders reopen. I am waiting and watching patiently. Be careful of news sites that report on Japan they are often written by uneducated journalists who are merely guessing. I have been getting my information directly from their country.

8 hours ago, Blackduck59 said:

I am sorry, I do not mean to offend you with my comment. I love Canada and enjoy meeting Canadians. I am enjoying reading your posts and interacting with you on this forum. I sincerely hope this virus is tamed before your planned trip in Jan/Feb.

By reasons for making the comment I did (that when cruising starts it would be a good idea that they be restricted to Aust/NZers):

As the virus spread from China, one of its earliest 'ports of call' was north-western USA - the Seattle area. From what I observed, the leader of that country didn't appreciate what he was dealing with: "15 cases this week, none next week", "We have this under control" etc. I don't mean this as a political comment, just stating the facts. By the time the US administration realised what they were dealing with (or maybe finally listened to their experts), the horse had well and truly bolted and was on a rampage.

USA is by far, the source of most of the infections in Australia. When the Aust government placed restrictions on people coming from China, if they had done the same with people from USA, we would have very few infections in Australia. However, just as the USA government didn't realise the extent of their problem, the Aust government would not have known how many infections there were in that country. In addition, Aussies would not have readily accepted a restriction on Americas.

The Australian government has imposed restrictions that are slowing the spread. We will have to see how that goes in the next couple of weeks, but it is looking promising. Meanwhile, the number of infections and deaths in the USA are sky-rocketing. I believe in the coming few months, USA will be the hardest hit country in the world.

You will have to forgive me if I say that the Australian government needs to keep the restrictions on people entering the country from somewhere there is a major rate of infection. All the best.

I sincerely hope that your planned trip can go ahead and that you have a fantastic time.🙂 Keep well.

• Like 4

Thanks Aus Traveler, I hope we can make the trip too. I will let you know that I live in Victoria BC, Washington State is quite literally visible from from across Juan de Fuca Strait, about 20 miles. We had 2 different Daily Ferry services running multiple trips a day to and from Seattle the big hot spot, as well as Port Angeles which is a much smaller town but also much closer.  Those services were only stopped a few weeks ago. And of course there is the major traffic on our own BC Ferries between here and Vancouver as well as other communities in BC. So you see we are close to the epicenter but thankfully we do have the isolation of being on an island. We have 76 cases on Vancouver Island with 2 Deaths for a population of about 870,000 so we are doing pretty well. Other parts of Canada are not doing as well, but I think we are far ahead of the situation in The USA.

37 minutes ago, Blackduck59 said:

Thanks Aus Traveler, I hope we can make the trip too. I will let you know that I live in Victoria BC, Washington State is quite literally visible from from across Juan de Fuca Strait, about 20 miles. We had 2 different Daily Ferry services running multiple trips a day to and from Seattle the big hot spot, as well as Port Angeles which is a much smaller town but also much closer.  Those services were only stopped a few weeks ago. And of course there is the major traffic on our own BC Ferries between here and Vancouver as well as other communities in BC. So you see we are close to the epicenter but thankfully we do have the isolation of being on an island. We have 76 cases on Vancouver Island with 2 Deaths for a population of about 870,000 so we are doing pretty well. Other parts of Canada are not doing as well, but I think we are far ahead of the situation in The USA.

I have been to those places you mention.🙂 Years ago we travelled in British Columbia and Alberta, then turned in our hired car and went by bus and ferry to Seattle to pick another hire car. That was so we wouldn't have hefty re-location fees when we dropped the car off at LA many weeks later.

9 minutes ago, Aus Traveller said:

I have been to those places you mention.🙂 Years ago we traveled in British Columbia and Alberta, then turned in our hired car and went by bus and ferry to Seattle to pick another hire car. That was so we wouldn't have hefty re-location fees when we dropped the car off at LA many weeks later.

Did you come to Victoria? If so I hope you liked our little town🙂 If you manage to pass this way again look me up I'll stand you a pint. We have some great local breweries.

Cheers

3 hours ago, DiamondFour said:

I am still watching Japan daily. I think they are doing well. It will be my first international country the instant borders reopen. I am waiting and watching patiently. Be careful of news sites that report on Japan they are often written by uneducated journalists who are merely guessing. I have been getting my information directly from their country.

I loved my trip to Japan and hope to complete it one day (I was really hoping to get to Kyushu 🙁) but I don't think it would be the first country I would visit. They do have form in hiding a health crisis all the back way to the Meji Period. And like China saving face can be more important than telling the truth. Taiwan seems to lack faith in their honesty that they suspended more flights between the two countries. And trying to hold on to the Olympics has probably affected their chance of avoiding a surge though I was impressed to read that they admitted to a coronavirus cluster in the "snack" bars of Kabukicho. However authorities might be a little optimistic in asking men to come forward to be tested😂

I think when it is safe to do so Australians should focus on travelling around Australia. From bushfires to coronavirus I think our local businesses could do with a bit of patronage so for now I'm going to stick to planning a trip around my state and if I start getting a little optimistic I might think about a trip that crosses state lines 😉

55 minutes ago, ilikeanswers said:

I loved my trip to Japan and hope to complete it one day (I was really hoping to get to Kyushu 🙁) but I don't think it would be the first country I would visit. They do have form in hiding a health crisis all the back way to the Meji Period. And like China saving face can be more important than telling the truth. Taiwan seems to lack faith in their honesty that they suspended more flights between the two countries. And trying to hold on to the Olympics has probably affected their chance of avoiding a surge though I was impressed to read that they admitted to a coronavirus cluster in the "snack" bars of Kabukicho. However authorities might be a little optimistic in asking men to come forward to be tested😂

I think when it is safe to do so Australians should focus on travelling around Australia. From bushfires to coronavirus I think our local businesses could do with a bit of patronage so for now I'm going to stick to planning a trip around my state and if I start getting a little optimistic I might think about a trip that crosses state lines 😉

It will be a wait and see for me in regards to further domestic travel. If the government persists in blaming Ruby Princess and continues blaming cruise ships for the virus that came from china then I will not be spending any of my valuable savings on domestic travel at all.

It would depend what State as well. It appears Victoria is allowing Golden Princess to remain tied up and Queensland seems to be allowing ships to remain up there.

• Like 1