Serious Question: Cruisers will you continue?

maynovmom

Hi. This post isn’t to be inflammatory at all. I’ve cruised 18 times on Carnival and have never had less than a perfect experience. My cruise was canceled for April of course. Now I find myself honestly torn about ever cruising again. I’m booked for spring 2021 and that was also booked prior to the outbreak. I never ever believed anything could keep me away but this has taken its toll on me. I feel afraid to choose transferring the FCC even with the huge $600 onboard credit to the 2021 cruise. I have til December to decide if I should just take the refund which is great.  This outbreak has changed my outlook in such a way I don’t know if I’ll ever be comfortable on my favorite way to travel again. How are people feeling? Do you think the cruise industry will even make it? If it doesn’t I assume the full FCC will be gone as it’s not cash any longer on the new cruise. It’s a credit/non penalty gift. I’m not faulting Carnival but rather wondering if this virus will change cruising vacations for many people in the coming year. 

• Like 3

I’ve rebooked my cancelled April cruise for one in September and I’ve bought 200 shares of stock.....I view this as no different than any other pandemic, of which there have been more than you think, or any outbreak of illnesses on ships that have occurred in the past.  And really even if my gamble does not pay off I’m not out that much monetarily but if all goes well I’m set!

• Like 1

What's going on now won't last for ever.  I believe there will be treatments that will prove very successful.  The quick testing will roll out.  Someday there will even be a vaccine.  This too shall pass.  I am optimistic that cruising will begin by the fall and I have a cruise booked in September.  If it doesn't happen and I have to reschedule, I'm ok with that.  I don't think this virus means an end to cruising or anything else.  

I know it's hard not to worry about the future when we are about to go through the worst of it.  But someday this will all be in the past and I will be gazing out at the ocean again from a cruise ship.

• Like 11

7 minutes ago, TNcruising02 said:

What's going on now won't last for ever.  I believe there will be treatments that will prove very successful.  The quick testing will roll out.  Someday there will even be a vaccine.  This too shall pass.  I am optimistic that cruising will begin by the fall and I have a cruise booked in September.  If it doesn't happen and I have to reschedule, I'm ok with that.  I don't think this virus means an end to cruising or anything else.  

I know it's hard not to worry about the future when we are about to go through the worst of it.  But someday this will all be in the past and I will be gazing out at the ocean again from a cruise ship.

That is exactly what I am hoping for! I know this is temporary but it really has changed my view of life in a sad way. Thank you!

• Like 1

TNcruising02 is giving some awfully good advice. And TN, as I was reading your last paragraph, an electric bolt shot through my body(figuratively speaking), and I don't know why I thought of it but it immediately came to my mind my favorite poem from my early teenage days:

If by Rudyard Kipling

"

If you can keep your head when all about you   
    Are losing theirs and blaming it on you,   
If you can trust yourself when all men doubt you,
    But make allowance for their doubting too; 

If you can wait and not be tired by waiting,
    Or being lied about, don’t deal in lies,
Or being hated, don’t give way to hating,
    And yet don’t look too good, nor talk too wise:

If you can dream—and not make dreams your master;   
    If you can think—and not make thoughts your aim;   

If you can meet with Triumph and Disaster
    And treat those two impostors just the same;  

If you can bear to hear the truth you’ve spoken
    Twisted by knaves to make a trap for fools,
Or watch the things you gave your life to, broken,
    And stoop and build ’em up with worn-out tools:

If you can make one heap of all your winnings
    And risk it on one turn of pitch-and-toss,
And lose, and start again at your beginnings
    And never breathe a word about your loss;

If you can force your heart and nerve and sinew
    To serve your turn long after they are gone,   
And so hold on when there is nothing in you
    Except the Will which says to them: ‘Hold on!’

If you can talk with crowds and keep your virtue,   
    Or walk with Kings—nor lose the common touch,
If neither foes nor loving friends can hurt you,
    If all men count with you, but none too much;

If you can fill the unforgiving minute
    With sixty seconds’ worth of distance run,   
Yours is the Earth and everything that’s in it,   
    And—which is more—you’ll be a Man, my son!"

Edited by Joe817
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 2

I will be back and I hope its soon....BUT,

I have a cruise in July and I don't think it will happen - In fact at this point I will be happy when they Cancel it. Watching the world falling apart right now and there being no cure or treatment means this is going nowhere and there will be a second wave once some restrictions are lifted. I see the cruise lines sending all their staff home at some point and waiting this out until they can be confident that ALL passengers will be safe again and an outbreak of pasengers and its staff will not happen. 

I will add I also have a cruise in August and believe that will not happen either...

Sad times - this is just a sad reality of the situation...

Please don't get me wrong - I want this not to be true and I hope the future is brighter and that the death and destruction we are seeing stops tomorrow. 

• Like 3

🛳🥰🛳🥰

Yes I will be cruising!  My friend and I should have been on the Glory as I write this now, but already booked it’s replacement mid-October on the Freedom.  I’m keeping this  December’s B2B Inspiration. As well as keeping my April ‘21 Panorama Havana Interior and my March ‘22  Dream . We also have our late August land vacation in Kauai. Flying in September to see my folks in Northern Idaho.  As long as I’m alive, and “they” let me, I’m traveling❣️

❤️❤️

Bobbi 

2 hours ago, maynovmom said:

I feel afraid to choose transferring the FCC even with the huge $600 onboard credit to the 2021 cruise.

First... do the math on your FCC + OBC, and compare it to what you already have.  Math is god.  I ended up with 3 cruises cancelled this year.  Even with the $1,800 OBC, that barely matches my OBC's and incentives.  And the small print says that any FCC is only applied to a single cruise (not multiple cruises) does not carry over to additional cruises... Carnival keeps it.

Again, Math is your friend in determining how to proceed.  Don't be emotional and greedy, and moody and think the $600 OBC is the best move.  Perhaps it is... and perhaps not.  Understand the contract before making a decision.

Edited by VentureMan_2000

2 minutes ago, VentureMan_2000 said:

Again, Math is your friend in determining how to proceed.  Don't be emotional and greedy  moody and think the $600 OBC is the best move.  Perhaps it is... and perhaps not.  Understand the contract before making a decision.

^^^^^This! V.M speaks wisely. Read before you pull the trigger on doing it.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, kwokpot said:

Not going to happen

1 hour ago, john91498 said:

Good luck to ya, but I highly doubt May or Junes cruises will happen. Hope I'm wrong...

Please don't turn this into yet another speculation thread. The OP asked if people will still be comfortable cruising when they resume. No one asked for speculations as to when that will be. There are other threads to choose from for that.

• Like 12

We will not hesitate to continue cruising. We currently have one booked for January, but would've done one sooner if it had worked out that way. I'm confident they will take the necessary steps to sanitize the fleet to the best of their ability. We were on the last Horizon cruise before the shut-down and they kept very busy cleaning. Not to mention other safety measures.

My wife said a couple of her coworkers just asked her this question today (if we'd ever cruise again). I told her to tell them, there's no reason to fear cruising. Cruising didn't cause this.

• Like 4

As soon as things get better my family and I will be sailing again. We are hoping our June 2020 cruise will happen on the Panorama but I'm gradually losing hope for that one. If it is canceled maybe we can book something in August and if not we'll add an extra week on our June 2021 cruise on the Mardi Gras and make it a B2B.  We'll also have our 2021/2022 New Years cruise to look forward to on the Mardi Gras.  

Edited by outdoors27
Typo

49 minutes ago, xDisconnections said:

Are you aware of how many ships currently have crew that are infected? I have no intentions of cruising anytime in the near future.

I agree 100%. I know I will cruise again, but it will depend on how things are going with this virus and more importantly, what kind of screening processes cruise lines will implement during embarkation. As much as I enjoy cruising, the last thing I want to experience is getting stuck on a ship for weeks. 

• Like 3

Our family went on one of the Panorama's last cruises just as the outbreak ramped up in the U.S. and we had a blast!  Stepping outside of your house, let alone traveling, always entails risk.  But if you let fear rule your life, then what type of life are you left with?  Cruising is relaxing and brings our friends & family together, so we will continue to do so.  

• Like 5