Serious Question: Cruisers will you continue?

maynovmom

I've cruised with Carnival 4 times. We have 2 booked for this year one in may and one in September and I plan on going on both if they allow us.

If your afraid of this virus or something else getting to you on a cruise then you might as well live in a bubble because it will end up in your city or town anyways.

Live your life. Cruises are great vacations. 

• Thanks 1

I don’t blame anyone from showing enthusiasm toward sailing.  Heck, after 2 weeks now in a shelter state where I still have to show up to work...so much now comes naturally (constant hand washing, social distancing).  We joke constantly but never comfortably.

Thinking about having fun in close quarters to thousands of folks....some symptomatic, occasional cough, sneeze, breathe transmittal of this virus? Not going to take unnecessary risks until numbers are close to zero.  You guys enjoy your trip.  I have to worry about a live-in mother-in-law, 2 live-in grandkids (when I get back) and least of all...when and how to cancel an October cruise I would not enjoy. 

I have been cruising for about 15 years because my family enjoys it, it is affordable, and the ports I have sailed from are generally within driving distance from my home. I hope that I can cruise again soon but I am afraid that the mass market cruise lines will go belly-up making cruising a lot more expensive and a less convenient. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, jperry2011 said:

I've cruised with Carnival 4 times. We have 2 booked for this year one in may and one in September and I plan on going on both if they allow us.

If your afraid of this virus or something else getting to you on a cruise then you might as well live in a bubble because it will end up in your city or town anyways.

Live your life. Cruises are great vacations. 

https://www.cnn.com/2020/04/02/us/emergency-room-doctor-dies-coronavirus-husbands-arms/index.html

9 minutes ago, crewsweeper said:

Seeing news reports that cruise line bookings for 2021 are stronger that last year. Ships filling up fast.

As I've said in other threads the issue is more complicated than just passenger demand. There has to be agreements and plans in place as to how the ports and the cruise companies are going to move forward with reports of illness, whatever that may be, on cruiseships that are looking to port. We cannot have a viable cruising industry if every time there are reports of illness on a cruiseship that ports refuse to let ships dock. The way the situations are being handled AS WE SPEAK is not sustainable if we want a healthy cruise industry.  And as I said, that goes beyond passenger demand and speaks DIRECTLY to the Cruiseline companies and the Port Authorities.  

Edited by kwokpot
  • Like 1

Serious Question: Cruisers will you continue? 

Serious answer: Absolutely! 

We already had two future cruises booked months before the Corona outbreak hit the U.S. The Mardi Gras in Nov. 2021, and the Conquest in March 2022. 

Edited by beachbum53
  • Like 2

On Monday when our May 10th cruise was cancelled we were sad, but not shocked. We often use B-days and anniversaries as reasons to book cruises. Which means my husband's 45th B-day celebration was cancelled. On Monday with the announcement, we booked 2 cruises. One in March 2021 for our anniversary and we will use our FCC & OBC. The other one is booked for May 17th, hoping to still celebrate a week late. We know this may get cancelled, it was such a deal we thought we would chance it.

So, yes we will continue sailing.

20 hours ago, maynovmom said:

Hi. This post isn’t to be inflammatory at all. I’ve cruised 18 times on Carnival and have never had less than a perfect experience. My cruise was canceled for April of course. Now I find myself honestly torn about ever cruising again. I’m booked for spring 2021 and that was also booked prior to the outbreak. I never ever believed anything could keep me away but this has taken its toll on me. I feel afraid to choose transferring the FCC even with the huge $600 onboard credit to the 2021 cruise. I have til December to decide if I should just take the refund which is great.  This outbreak has changed my outlook in such a way I don’t know if I’ll ever be comfortable on my favorite way to travel again. How are people feeling? Do you think the cruise industry will even make it? If it doesn’t I assume the full FCC will be gone as it’s not cash any longer on the new cruise. It’s a credit/non penalty gift. I’m not faulting Carnival but rather wondering if this virus will change cruising vacations for many people in the coming year. 

We are senior citizens, so we are concerned. But would we ever cruise again? Absolutely! I already booked another cruise with my FCC. I am not naive, I know there still could be virus issues for my next cruise in January, but I’m going to hope for the best. We can’t let the fear from this ruin the lives we love to live, and the way we love to live them. 

• Like 1

8 hours ago, sc4125 said:

When I saw that you are from New York, I completely understood just how sad you must be feeling.  My heart goes out to all those affected by the situation we are in, but I hurt more for people living in the hard hit areas and especially those in New York.  I can't imagine what all of you are going through and I just wanted to say that my thoughts are with you and will be over these next few weeks.  Stay healthy, stay strong and know that those of us in less affected areas (I'm in central Florida and FINALLY the governor has seen the light) are with you in spirit.  

New Yorker are tough and that might be why we are  being hit so hard. We are not invincible and nobody is -  as science has a way of always wins. Please everyone look to our state and be careful. Everyone can learn from these tragedies.

Cruising is something we all love and I hope that we will all be able to do soon from NYC, but it will take a while for it to be safe again. I don't see this summer season being safe. In fact I saw that they are still removing sick crew members from oasis of the seas today and that is a ship set to make it debut in NYC next month - This is not looking promising. Think about people who have quarantined, and come out not being immune to this illness. One person who is shedding the virus - and they can be shed at a low level for up to 14-21 days, who gets on ship will get countless people who have not been exposed infected all over again.

There is hope and prayer, but we need a miracle for this not to wipe out the summer season...

January 2022 it's been paid in carnival gift cards .so I can't get cash back.after that I don't know.my wife is in no hurry to get back on a ship.im wanting to go back to short land vacations like we used to do every year until kids got late teens and too old to be seen with us.