Use of FCV

clojacks

This is a good opportunity to reiterate that, IMHO, there is absolutely no substitute for a professional travel agent in difficult times like this. I’ve heard numerous posters relate that they got $X hundred onboard credit from their big box agency, or they know this real nice person at Viking that treats them well.

We have had multiple instances where our TA was able to secure results we didn’t even think possible.

No need for “Let me tell you what I got!” replies. I just wanted to give a plug for professional TA’s, who certainly are working very hard for very little these days.

• Like 5

On 4/2/2020 at 7:36 PM, jonthomas said:

Not good that FCCs are only for new bookings. We have two bookings for 2021, too bad we cant apply the FCC. Have no intention of booking more  cruises at this time. So not sure if we will ever use the FCC. 

I had talked to several Viking reps and they all assured me that the 125% FCV can be used on an existing booking (we have a 2021 Southeast Asia cruise to pay for by September) - we were part of the first wave of cruise cancellations, our embarkation date was April 4 and we still haven't receive anything - one Viking rep said it would be in the mail, a couple of others said that it would be an email.  We went through a TA, so monies paid to the travel agency we needed to apply to a new booking, our travel insurance the TA asked them to consider moving the policy to this new booking; after 2 and a half weeks, the policy has been moved to the new booking(it was an exception since the new booking is more than three years from the original issuance date.  I will not be happy if we cannot apply this 125% FCV to an existing booking.  Did I miss something in writing that says the 125% FCV can only be applied to new bookings?

we could use 125% voucher from a canceled cruise for a final payment on a previously reserved cruise HOWEVER final payment was less than our voucher and we would LOOSE the difference!!!  Canceled the cruise and will keep the voucher for something else.

Does anyone know if once we have the voucher do we have to use the same Travel agent or is the voucher OURS?

Edited by deec
clarity

On 4/2/2020 at 2:56 PM, duquephart said:

A couple things I learned today (by talking to Viking reps) that others may or may not already know.

1. FCV can't be used to purchase Trip Mate insurance on a re-booking. You must pay out of pocket even though you have, or will have, plenty of FCV to cover.

2. Any remaining FCV may be used to settle shipboard accounts. In other words FCV can be used to pay "gratuities", purchase beverages, etc.

We may have to cancel our July cruise (we're in watch and wait mode) and will likely try to rebook for the same time in 2021.  We paid for Trip-Mate insurance when we booked so assume that that would be part of our FCC ... wonder if we would have to pay again for TripMate ... what happens to the amount already paid?  We also paid for SSBP and assume that could transfer as well.  Guess we will have to be organized and have a list of questions ready when we talk to them.  We also have a December cruise booked that has the same 24  hr. deal attached.  

Yesterday, I cancelled an August 2020 cruise with Viking Ocean just within the cancellation window. I received a full refund, minus the $200 cancellation fee and the money spent on TripMate insurance. The cancellation fee and the insurance money are being combined in a future cruise credit. I felt that was fair. This was to be our first Viking cruise and we are beyond disappointed, but I’ve been pleased with their responsiveness over the phone each time I’ve called. Hoping to take this same cruise sometime in the future!

2 hours ago, molymoo said:

We may have to cancel our July cruise (we're in watch and wait mode) and will likely try to rebook for the same time in 2021.  We paid for Trip-Mate insurance when we booked so assume that that would be part of our FCC ... wonder if we would have to pay again for TripMate ... what happens to the amount already paid?  We also paid for SSBP and assume that could transfer as well.  Guess we will have to be organized and have a list of questions ready when we talk to them.  We also have a December cruise booked that has the same 24  hr. deal attached.  

Once the cruise is cancelled (by Viking) it's as though the cruise never existed. Everything you have paid to Viking, assuming they do as they have done so far, will be multiplied by a factor of 1.25 and made available (when available) as a FCV for two years hence. Upon re-booking you will need to pay out of pocket for Trip Mate. This all assumes that things go as per the first two cancellations and you opt for the FCV instead of a cash refund. At least that's how it went for us. Having to pay for insurance upfront on a re-book was irritating. Viking will credit value but will not take money out of it's pocket. I fear there will be at least a few more cancellations and would counsel folks with cruises even into late fall to be prepared to deal with whatever might be offered. I would be using the current two cancellations as a template. And, of course, we must hope Viking survives. We are disappointed ----- we were planning on a very nice cruise in 2+ months that's now a year and 2+ months. We understand that it is what it is. Good luck.

2 hours ago, ReaderGirl57 said:

Yesterday, I cancelled an August 2020 cruise with Viking Ocean just within the cancellation window. I received a full refund, minus the $200 cancellation fee and the money spent on TripMate insurance. The cancellation fee and the insurance money are being combined in a future cruise credit. I felt that was fair. This was to be our first Viking cruise and we are beyond disappointed, but I’ve been pleased with their responsiveness over the phone each time I’ve called. Hoping to take this same cruise sometime in the future!

I can understand the cancellation fee under normal circumstances but it sucks that insurance is not subject to refund. Full refund except is an oxymoron.

2 hours ago, duquephart said:

I can understand the cancellation fee under normal circumstances but it sucks that insurance is not subject to refund. Full refund except is an oxymoron.

Agreed. My situation is worse. Insured my Aug cruise thru insuremytrip both they and the underlying insurance company have not gotten back to me when in Feb I tried to up my insurance to cover the huge payment in full.  Tried to pay $2K more. Calls.  On hold.  Emails. In vain.

I think my best course is to walk away from the insurance and cancel >120 days out.  Not comfortable taking a $25K cruise with no insurance.

Viking provides Trip Mate Insurance but Trip Mate Insurance is not part of Viking.  They are an independent company that is used by many in the travel industry.    The rules on what they cover and whether they rebate any money paid to them are Trip Mates rules and are spelled out in your policy.  The fact that Viking is welling to provide a Future Cruise Credit for the cost of Trip Mate Insurance is surprising and again shows the "customer focus" Viking has.   Most companies would tell you to work out any concerns you have with Trip Mate directly and just provide you with the information you need to contact them.    As an aside,   we generally buy our own insurance for travel useless a travel agency's or a travel provider's insurance is a better policy value.  It rarely is.  

5 minutes ago, Dukefan said:

Viking provides Trip Mate Insurance but Trip Mate Insurance is not part of Viking.  They are an independent company that is used by many in the travel industry.    The rules on what they cover and whether they rebate any money paid to them are Trip Mates rules and are spelled out in your policy.  The fact that Viking is welling to provide a Future Cruise Credit for the cost of Trip Mate Insurance is surprising and again shows the "customer focus" Viking has.   Most companies would tell you to work out any concerns you have with Trip Mate directly and just provide you with the information you need to contact them.    As an aside,   we generally buy our own insurance for travel useless a travel agency's or a travel provider's insurance is a better policy value.  It rarely is.  

It would seem that Viking has some sort of relationship with Trip Mate that allows it to act as, essentially, a middleman and that there are agreements in regard to cancellations that the latter must abide by. Neither you nor I are privy to all the machinations going on. People are distressed that, having paid insurance to Viking, Viking is unwilling to refund same. Folks are used to dealing with the entity to whom funds were paid. I was one of those people ----- having a tidy pile of credit and not being able to use it rankles.

20 hours ago, SM77 said:

We went through a TA, so monies paid to the travel agency we needed to apply to a new booking, our travel insurance the TA asked them to consider moving the policy to this new booking; after 2 and a half weeks, the policy has been moved to the new booking(it was an exception since the new booking is more than three years from the original issuance date. 

So was your insurance thru Viking (TripMate) or thru your TA/agency?

12 minutes ago, What was that? said:

So was your insurance thru Viking (TripMate) or thru your TA/agency?

Our travel insurance was through USAA - not through Viking.  I was very pleasantly surprised that the travel insurance policy was moved to a new booking for 2021.  The travel insurance was issued in 2018 and according to their normal procedures, trips must take place within 2.5 years of the policy issuance.  It helped that we have booked several trips using the insurance company, never canceled a booking & requested the policy to be moved to another booking, or made a claim against any of the policies.  I would have never considered asking for this exception but my travel agent pursued it.  The next hurdle will be whether the travel insurance will refund the difference between the two different amounts that the trip insurance costs.  The new booking is considerably less expensive than the canceled Viking cruise so the insurance costs are about half.  I made the request, let's see if they are willing to refund the difference.

18 hours ago, deec said:

we could use 125% voucher from a canceled cruise for a final payment on a previously reserved cruise HOWEVER final payment was less than our voucher and we would LOOSE the difference!!!  Canceled the cruise and will keep the voucher for something else.

Thanks Deec for sharing your experience.  Luckily we do have an existing booking that will use the whole FCV of 125% and then some.  I agree with you - use it for a cruise that will use the complete value.  I was concerned since I don't see us booking another cruise that would have used the complete value of the FCV any time soon.  We already have deposits on three cruises(one of which is not Viking) - I just hope that we will be able to go on our Greece & Turkey cruise scheduled for November.  However it is not a Viking cruise so it has no generous cancelation policies (at this point) and unfortunately we booked our flights through United.  

1 hour ago, duquephart said:

It would seem that Viking has some sort of relationship with Trip Mate that allows it to act as, essentially, a middleman and that there are agreements in regard to cancellations that the latter must abide by. Neither you nor I are privy to all the machinations going on. People are distressed that, having paid insurance to Viking, Viking is unwilling to refund same. Folks are used to dealing with the entity to whom funds were paid. I was one of those people ----- having a tidy pile of credit and not being able to use it rankles.

I spoke with Roswell ("Ross") in Customer Relations yesterday evening on precisely this issue. He "explained" that the prohibition on using voucher value to pay for insurance is part of the contract between Viking and TripMate. He went so far as to put me on hold for a couple of minutes to verify what should be said. I understand that contracts contain all sorts of BS, but this is just rong - Viking/TripMate should at the very least permit transferring the the premium for coverage to the replacement booking. IMHO.

"Paying" you back in value is how things are often done. They are loathe to return cash. Companies always collect fast and pay back slow, if at all. Viking did not invent this. Ever had an issue with a car dealer that should have been resolved via refund? If so you are familiar with "How 'bout a couple of oil changes."

43 minutes ago, SM77 said:

Our travel insurance was through USAA - not through Viking.  I was very pleasantly surprised that the travel insurance policy was moved to a new booking for 2021.  The travel insurance was issued in 2018 and according to their normal procedures, trips must take place within 2.5 years of the policy issuance.  It helped that we have booked several trips using the insurance company, never canceled a booking & requested the policy to be moved to another booking, or made a claim against any of the policies.  I would have never considered asking for this exception but my travel agent pursued it.  The next hurdle will be whether the travel insurance will refund the difference between the two different amounts that the trip insurance costs.  The new booking is considerably less expensive than the canceled Viking cruise so the insurance costs are about half.  I made the request, let's see if they are willing to refund the difference.

SM77 -

I have attempted the same thing.  Our insurance (not Viking) said our new booking was more than 2 years beyond the original insurance purchase, but I would be more than welcome to submit an exception request, to transfer it over to new booking.  It happens to be the same cruise itinerary but a year later in 2021.  At this point I am not worried about any slight difference.  They gave me all the detailed info for it and I've submitted it.  Will let you all know.

19 hours ago, deec said:

Does anyone know if once we have the voucher do we have to use the same Travel agent or is the voucher OURS?

Hi Dee - interesting.  This is exactly the opposite to what Viking and our own Travel Agent told us.  When Viking cancelled the Into the Midnight Sun cruise, we wanted to apply the voucher to one of the upcoming future cruises we have put deposits on.  It would have used up the voucher.  Again - emphatically told - no.  It had to be for a new booking entirely.

So we booked the same itinerary for July 2021.   I wish they would get their story straight (on using FCV for existing or new bookings - seems quite inconsistently applied!)

Had no trouble moving InsureMyTrip policy to rescheduled cruise next year. They wanted around $60 for the increased price of the cruise - which really doesn't make sense since with the 125% FCV, we have no more money at risk (less actually) than we did before, but I feel quite certain that $60 is easier to take than the time and frustration trying to argue the point. 🙂 

1 hour ago, cmaasfamily said:

Had no trouble moving InsureMyTrip policy to rescheduled cruise next year. They wanted around $60 for the increased price of the cruise - which really doesn't make sense since with the 125% FCV, we have no more money at risk (less actually) than we did before, but I feel quite certain that $60 is easier to take than the time and frustration trying to argue the point. 🙂 

You are likely within the 2 year window of original purchase to re-book cruise date.  That doesn't require an exemption.  I also am using InsureMyTrip.   Interesting that they want the new cruise price even though we don't pay it.   I sort of see why.  If we wind up filing a claim, then I presume we'd get back in money the new rebooked cruise price.

7 hours ago, duquephart said:

Duquepart,

I don't know your business background but almost all companies form partnerships with other companies to expand the services they provide,  Some of these partnerships result in special terms, for instance Vikings partnership with certain air carriers probably allows them to get a full refund when a cruise is canceled (something you as an individual may not be able to obtain without paying full fare).     Viking's insurance partner is Trip Mate.     This relationship may result in Viking receiving a commission on the policies they issue or a special price for insurance that they can pass on to their clients.   In any case, your insurance provider is Trip Mate.  Viking provided you the details of their policy and you chose it hopefully because you thought their policy provided you good value for your money.  Hopefully, before you purchased the policy, you reviewed their terms and conditions and decided that they were right for you.    Viking didn't twist your arm or force you to buy from them.   Viking simply shared with you their policy information and recommended that you get insurance for your trip.   At my age (mid 70's) I always buy insurance but I seldom buy it from my travel provider.   Since I have various types of coverage provided by my former employer, my credit card companies and personal insurance, I only want certain types of additional coverage depending on the trip that I am taking.  If I would take Viking's Trip Mate policy I would be paying for certain parts of their coverage for which I am already covered.  In any case, the bottom line is that your insurance is form Trip Mate and while Viking did act as Trip Mates selling agent, Viking has no obligation to you under the policy for providing you a refund - that is up to Trip Mate based on the terms and conditions of your policy.   This is why I think Viking is going the extra mile in "costumer service" by providing you a full future cruise credit for the cost of the policy.  I am sure that if you read your policies terms and conditions you will find nothing in them that requires this action on their part.   My advise is to quit complaining about Viking and thank them for doing this for you.

• Like 3

6 hours ago, Dukefan said:

Duquepart,

My advise is to quit complaining about Viking and thank them for doing this for you.

I agree for all the reasons you have enumerated Dukefan! I think it is generous of Viking to offer a future cruise credit for the amount of the trip insurance.

Edited by Alturia

15 hours ago, CCWineLover said:

SM77 -

I have attempted the same thing.  Our insurance (not Viking) said our new booking was more than 2 years beyond the original insurance purchase, but I would be more than welcome to submit an exception request, to transfer it over to new booking.  It happens to be the same cruise itinerary but a year later in 2021.  At this point I am not worried about any slight difference.  They gave me all the detailed info for it and I've submitted it.  Will let you all know.

Thanks CCWineLover,

To be honest, I will be overjoyed if USAA refunds the difference.  I had fully expected to 'eat' the costs of the travel insurance given that normal policies don't allow the TI policy to be moved to a new booking more than 2.5 out from the policy issuance.  We are extremely fortunate that Viking, some travel insurance companies, are being flexible and generous.  I'm just happy since I booked the flights w/ Viking that I don't have to deal w/ the airlines.  

The conflicting reports about using future cruise vouchers to pay off existing cruise balances is confusing to me, even though I know Viking is not always consistent with their policies. I also think there are differences in the situations where Viking has canceled a cruise and when we use their expanded cancellation offer to cancel one individually. 

We had a river cruise for April 11 canceled by Viking, and requested the refund of all monies paid so that we could use it to pay the balance due on another upcoming cruise. We did not expect the 25% bonus, as that seems to be just intended to encourage new bookings.  Some have reported that they were told they could use the 125% voucher on an existing booking. Has anyone actually done that?

I returned to the email that came announcing the cancellation by Viking of the first group of cruises:

"For those guests whose cruise falls within this window of suspended operations, we are offering the choice of a Future Cruise Voucher valued at 125% of all monies paid to Viking or a refund equal to the amount paid. Guests will have 24 months to use their Future Cruise Voucher to make a new reservation on any river, ocean or expedition cruise. For additional flexibility, if you are unable to use your voucher, we will automatically send you a refund equal to the original amount paid to Viking after the voucher expires. These Future Cruise Vouchers will also be fully transferable."

If Viking has changed that policy, or made exceptions to it, I will reserve my outrage for situations in life more serious than this, and I will accept the fact that I will receive what I expected when my refund check arrives. (Hopefully before the next payment is due, since I am not paying more money until I receive the refund, even if I have to reschedule the October cruise.)