Royal Caribbean Cruisers -- How Are Things Where You Are? (was "Routine" ​ 😁 ​day in lockdown... how was yours?)

Lockdown here in the Philippines has some local quirks to it.  If anyone wants to leave our barangay to go shopping they need to get a written pass from the barangay captain.  The pass is signed and dated, can only be used for one trip.  There is a rope across Ramboanga Road, the entrance to our cluster of homes, with a do not enter sign dangling from it.  In addition a sign which says construction 100 meters is also blocking the road.  Having a pass allows one to let oneself out of and back into the road.

The food shopping is near normal, after being stopped at the checkpoint entering Vigan, the provincial capital of Ilocos Sur, showing the pass, and having one's temperature taken.  There is no public transportation, but we have a van.  They never run out of brown rice or whole wheat bread, plus most fruit, vegetables and meat are available.  Our nephew raises pigs so we got 4 meals worth of hog bladder from him last week when he slaughtered a pig.

I take a walk up the road to the national highway and walk laps in the basketball court for about 35 minutes.  The shutdown here started on 3/15/20, the last day any domestic flights were allowed, and the ferries were also shut down so no one is changing islands unless they have their own boat or plane.  I hardly see anyone at all on my morning walks, a few folks in their homes on the other side of the national highway (two lane blacktop).  Otherwise life here is slower than usual, no family visits.  Last week one of the cable channels started showing the fourth season of The Mentalist with Simon Baker, a different show every day at 7:40 AM.  Something to look forward to.  Read all my novels, now reading The Philippine War, 1899-1902 By Brian McAllister Linn.  Scary stuff as the lowest numbers I have seen is 250,000 Filipinos killed.  Not real good reading during a pandemic, but my only other choice is 1,000 page biography of Harry Truman.  Not ready to concentrate on a US president at this point.

We have an 8 hour van ride to the Manila Airport, NAIA, and a flight 16 hours non-stop to JFK on 4/21/20.  All the flights from 4/16 to 5/31/20 are sold out.  All the hotels are closed, and the one we usually stay at in Pasay on Manila Bay is currently being used to quarantine returning overseas foreign workers, about 20,000 are from commercial and cruise ships and more are on the way from Australia.  Will be happy to get back to Bethlehem, PA, been gone since 10/24/19.

• Like 4

On 4/3/2020 at 9:55 AM, island lady said:

Then our Grandeur June cruise was altered to come to Florida/Bahamas instead of NE/Canada...cancelled that one. 
What a shame! We did that itinerary on Grandeur and it was one of our favorite trips. 

The trip that will really break our hearts to lose is the month in Alaska we had planned for August, including B2B Radiance to celebrate Bucky's milestone birthday.  

Hopefully, things will begin to settle down by then. I don’t know if we will be back to “normal” but this can’t last forever. 

• Like 2

22 hours ago, bobmacliberty said:

I'm with you intellectually.  Many beaches are plenty big enough for proper social distancing.  So are parks and other public areas.  No reason that people should not be able to use them if done so properly.  The problem is, many people will not follow the smart guidelines, so you have to make them follow stupid rules.

Volusia County, who shut down Beaches Friday, just reopened them  late yesterday because so many complaints.  There is some limitations. 

• Like 1

17 hours ago, davekathy said:

My golf game just improved. 

Our community golf course is still open, and quite busy.  We have a golf cart...as do 90% of the people that live here...but we don't play golf.  😉   Both of our shoulders are shot...I had to sell my clubs...  😞 

12 hours ago, A&L_Ont said:

No golf courses open around here, and sadly not because of snow.  One that I frequent was going to use this method until they were mandated shut by the province. They also would have used methods others of you have described. 

1B05DA93-B081-4ACF-87EA-DEC84F37BAD1.thumb.jpeg.00eb3819a33567b17eb3cb3cc4fcb71b.jpeg

We tried that here but when the lockdown come, that was it. Game over.

C.J.G.A from Toronto comes across in August and I arrange free golf for them. A team from San Diego also come but this year they have cancelled

Our work continues at home (I am in healthcare, DH in telecommunications), but the world is certainly stranger doing things this way! My new tiny “office” is below (my other one sits empty for now). Show me your “new” office!?

And I have turned our dining area into a mask production center. It really is a giant mess mess, it’s taken a month to gather all the supplies, and I have not sewed anything for years.  But I have worried about all those elderly in nursing homes surrounded by people coming in and out of their world without masks, so I am determined to do something, anything, to make that situation a tiny bit better. Hoping I get faster at it 🤨

68BC3F12-0AA2-4D9F-89B3-02B98713DFDC.jpeg

740C5908-961A-41D8-94C0-ADBE5C767F45.jpeg

Edited by AlohaLivin
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, AlohaLivin said:

Our work continues at home (I am in healthcare, DH in telecommunications), but the world is certainly stranger doing things this way! My new tiny “office” is below (wish I could dump my month office rent that is useless to me now).  Show us your “new” office!

And I have turned our dining area into a mask production center. It is a mess,  it’s taken a month to gather all the supplies, and I have not sewed anything for years.  But I have worried about all those elderly in nursing homes surrounded by people coming in and out of their world without masks, so I am determined to do something, anything,  to make that situation a tiny bit better. Hoping I get faster at it 🤨

Cute!  Thanks for sharing the photos...nice stock of paper towels!  😉 

5 minutes ago, island lady said:

Cute!  Thanks for sharing the photos...nice stock of paper towels!  😉 

Ha! Fancy meeting you here. I am so going to miss meeting you in person, sincerely! But I feel sure that there will be another time on another ship before too much time has passed.

>>> those aren’t paper towels actually, they are blue shop towels that are a pretty good choice for filters to insert in cloth masks and Walmart just had them on sale 😬 

Edited by AlohaLivin

Just now, AlohaLivin said:

Ha! I am so going to miss meeting you in person, sincerely! But I feel sure that there will be another time on another ship before too much time has passed.

>>> those aren’t paper towels actually, they are blue shop towels that are a pretty good choice for filters to insert in cloth masks and Walmart just had them on sale 😬 

Oh that's right!.  I think I have seen them in car dealership's service section.  Thought they looked familiar...what a great idea you had on that one!!

Yes indeed...with that "glass half full"....still hoping we can get back to the cruising life again and hope to meet you on a future cruise.  🙂 

• Like 1

Day 17 we have the house immaculate by now, and the massive garden is looking good! We are cooking lovely dinners and drinking too much wine I think😉Lucky to live on the coast with country roads and path to the beach so we can go out together twice a day for a walk. That’s the nice part but missing my kids and grandsons even though they are very near can’t hug them! Uncertain of how long this will last and finally the worst new this morning a young guy who we all knew really well has died of this awful virus. This really brings it home, please stay safe all of you. Dianne

• Like 2

Cooking:  just made applesauce cake yesterday.  OMG, sooooo good and talk about comfort food!

Lots and LOTS of good TV: 

Saw this article this morning; good stuff coming up this month - 

https://www.cnn.com/2020/03/27/entertainment/netflix-hulu-amazon-april/index.html?utm_term=158609007130877193d0900e7&utm_source=Five+Things+for+Sunday%2C+April+5+2020&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=195858_1586090071314&bt_ee=A33tXyyPrS%2FR2e9jpr77p0slkc%2F4qcbSmPox8O6d9VZl%2BHVskgQM1OcfnTj%2Fwxd8&bt_ts=1586090071314

Reading:

The Guardians by John Grisham.  If you use an e-reader, then check the kindle books available at your local library.  Free downloads.  Get library logins from you family that live in other areas, and share yours.

Bookbub.com is a wonderful source of free-to-$3 books.  Sign up for a daily email.

Video calls with family:

We got a "tour" of our son's office yesterday.  He goes in on weekends to do in-office work when no one is there.  Today is younger son and les bebes.  I've asked them to put the tropical hats and clothes we bought the wee ones on our cruises, and we will wear ours, too.

Hugging Mr. Pcur....a lot....every day......after washing our hands!  😁

• Like 2

On 4/4/2020 at 11:56 AM, SilkySal said:

Thanks for your comments. BIL bypass was a couple of years ago, so his rehab is over. He is on heart meds though.

Update: He did come over yesterday to enjoy the beautiful day outside here at the lake, which he was invited to do that. DH got annoyed when he continue to stay past sunset, came inside, and watched TV with us until after 9:00pm. That was definitely NOT THE PLAN! We know he is lonely by himself but it was irresponsible of him not to take CDC guidelines seriously. Not sure what DH will say to him if he comes back to visit. DH said that we shouldn't have invited him over in the first place and that he really didn't want him to come. Blaming me once again! Oh well, it's done and over now. Maybe if he comes back, I'll just jump in our car and make myself scarce and let DH deal with it! LOL!

Well then I guess if you aren't the invitation hostess, BIL won't be coming back anytime soon.  Just tell the hubby it is his choice and responsibility to extend an invitation to his brother AND to be the one that says when it is time to go home.  I guess the only other choice is your husband tells him that no-one is allowed inside except you and him. Anyone else can stay in the yard, on the porch, et cetera but no-one else comes in. I guess if you have a doghouse he can sleep there if he chooses.  LOL 

• Haha 1

On 4/3/2020 at 6:51 PM, ladybugpug said:

Stopped by walmart curbside to pick up a script and the parking lot was crowded. People coming and going like any other day. It's ridiculous how many do not take stay at home seriously. Pennsylvania is essential workers only and you would never know it.

If only South Carolina would decide on "essential" workers.  I think if we went solely by the DHS and CDC guidelines, much more would be declared non-essential.  Our governor just keeps going in rounds of shutdowns.  He restricts a little more every few days.  I wish he would just go ahead and make a call. 

Although we still have a huge problem because people from many of the hotspot states are homeowners here and keep coming in to escape the intensity of the pandemic in their home states, and they go right on like it's vacation as usual.   The only thing that keeps them in at all is that most of the restaurants are only doing take-out and delivery. Otherwise, it would just be moving the pandemic from the hotspot states down to South Carolina. 

34 minutes ago, pcur said:

Cooking:  just made applesauce cake yesterday.  OMG, sooooo good and talk about comfort food!

HEY.. .not allowed to brag on the applesauce cake unless you mail it overnight to me LOL

• Like 1

On 4/3/2020 at 3:51 PM, ladybugpug said:

I still have to go to work everyday. I get to set my own schedule so I arrive at 4am and leave at noon. It's my way of trying to avoid people. Just me and one nurse for most of my mornings. My hands are raw from washing them and using sanitizer. After a few weeks of it I have gotten used to it. I come home and nap for a few hours. I like still working because of course I still get paid and sitting at home is not appealing. I am really worried about getting sick tho so my anxiety is very high. My husband runs his own business so he goes to work everyday too. Stopped by walmart curbside to pick up a script and the parking lot was crowded. People coming and going like any other day. It's ridiculous how many do not take stay at home seriously. Pennsylvania is essential workers only and you would never know it.

When you come home, wash your hands, coat them with aquaphor, and take your nap.  Seriously, it heals skin so quickly.  Bless you for what you are doing, too!!

• Like 1

I just ordered a large supply of dehydrated whole eggs, nonfat milk, and instant potatoes yesterday from Amazon.  We only eat scrambled eggs, or I put one it with another recipe.  I just don't want to store-hop looking for this stuff.

12 minutes ago, AlohaLivin said:

HEY.. .not allowed to brag on the applesauce cake unless you mail it overnight to me LOL

It's 5 minutes to make:

Applesauce Cakebread:  great with breakfast or for a snack

Ingredients for 12 servings (I freeze half):

½ cup butter

1 cup brown sugar

1 cup applesauce

2 cups all-purpose flour

1 teaspoon baking soda

1 tablespoon ground cinnamon

¼ teaspoon ground cloves (optional)

½ cup raisins

½ cup chopped walnuts

Preheat oven to 350 degrees

Soften butter in microwave, put in large mixing bowl

Add sugar and cream the two together.  If you have a large serving fork, this works well, or a large serving spoon.  I avoided a mixer, as the blades get gooed up with the mixture.

Add all remaining ingredients and mix well.  Batter will be stiff.

Spread into 9-inch square baking dish

Bake for 40 minutes

Remove from oven and let cool.  With a knife, loosen around the edges, and cut half into serving slices to be removed and served warm.  Orange marmalade or jelly tastes great on this!

Take remainder, slice, and freeze in individual ziplock sandwich or snack size bags.  Reheat in microwave for about 20-30 seconds, or until warmed.

(I've also been using Instacart a lot for groceries, with double tips.  The shoppers need the money, and I can limit my shopping to once a week.)

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Would've been in Fort Lauderdale yesterday...but planted trees at home yesterday.

Would've been boarding the Adventure today...but enjoying the rare rain dropping in California today.

Happy Palm Sunday to all.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

29 minutes ago, bonsai3s said:

Would've been in Fort Lauderdale yesterday...but planted trees at home yesterday.

Would've been boarding the Adventure today...but enjoying the rare rain dropping in California today.

Happy Palm Sunday to all.

Raining here as well.

20200405_140538.thumb.jpg.0be0f2b941aaf9db023d4ec562574544.jpg

Bella's not happy

Edited by John&LaLa
  • Like 2
  • Haha 1

6 hours ago, pcur said:

I just ordered a large supply of dehydrated whole eggs, nonfat milk, and instant potatoes yesterday from Amazon.  We only eat scrambled eggs, or I put one it with another recipe.  I just don't want to store-hop looking for this stuff.

Did a little local shopping today... 1 minute drive from my house. Dozen eggs $3 Canadian. That would be like $1.50 US.

Forms rambled eggs my MIL puts a table spoon of sour cream with every three eggs. She says they make them creamy.  I thought that was the job of the Cadbury Easter Bunny. 

C13EA9DE-EACF-4C6D-BAE6-FE9C900E298B.thumb.jpeg.59e81fcb91ac91e64732d1ee58de6414.jpeg

7DE452FA-35BF-4498-8EFD-0D5DD8643E28.thumb.jpeg.de94b79be2d1de921441e0a2520bc084.jpeg

• Like 2