Royal Caribbean Cruisers -- How Are Things Where You Are? (was "Routine" ​ 😁 ​day in lockdown... how was yours?)

8 hours ago, Sea Dog said:

So I am reflective tonight ( after a few good cocktails) and I am over whelmed as I near retirement to the outpouring of of love and support I have received from my co workers and management. I just received an incredible email announcement from my boss that really touched me. I am going to post this not to garner any ego gratification, but to say that there are people  in management who do value  employe's contribution.

It reads:

What’s the one thing that’s been delayed more during the pandemic than American Airlines flights?  Greg Steele’s retirement cruise! 

But the time has finally come.  Greg sets sail on November 1st – a day after his retirement on Friday, October 29th.  Despite all the delays caused by the pandemic, there has been a bright spot.  We’ve been able to keep Greg around and take advantage of his creativity and exceptional editing skills for several additional months.  

It’s been the icing on the cake for a career that’s spanned over 38 years.  Greg’s first full-time gig at KMBC started in 1983 as a photographer.  Since then, he’s covered hundreds of Chiefs games,  a Royals World Series, 3 KU Final Four’s, 2 presidential debates, and a Republican National Convention while traveling all over the US, parts of Europe, Asia, and Canada.  His work has been recognized with 6 Emmy’s and 2 regional Murrow awards.  His work on countless specials has helped KMBC & KCWE to be recognized nationwide for excellence.  To say Greg has contributed to the successes of our news department would be an understatement.  Greg’s creativity and skills have set a standard for all of us to work toward in the future.

Although I’ve only had the opportunity to work with Greg for a small part of his career – please allow me one personal memory.  Shortly after I came ashore here…. I asked people to share their thoughts on “who we were” as a television station.  Greg showed up with a two page written letter.  He wrote about our history.  He wrote about what we’ve meant to Kansas City.  He wrote about what working here means for many of you.  He offered idea after idea – many of which made their way into our planning.  I thanked him then.  And I thank him now for all he’s contributed over the years.  We can all hope for such an important legacy.

We’ll be celebrating his impressive career on Friday, 10/29.  We invite you all to join us in the newsroom to mark this milestone in Greg’s life.  More details to come on that.  Until then… please feel free to drop by the “Steele Suite”, keep your distance, and wish him good luck on his next voyage!

Congratulations, Greg.  And thank you for your service to our city.

DanO

Congratulations on a wonderful career and hopefully a happy and healthy retirement.Re you being the recipient of Murrow awards.Both of my children are graduates of Edward Murrow HS.The school does not have sports teams other than Chess.They do have a TV station.My oldest had a program on the station which was not just viewable at the school but on a Cable TV network as well.She received several awards for her work on the show and was urged by her teachers to consider that as a career but she opted to become an Educator and is in her 26th.year of teaching.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, bobmacliberty said:

Congratulations Greg (almost)!  Sounds like you are a real asset to KMBC and well liked by your coworkers.  What a great way to head into retirement.

I was the boss of many people throughout my career and one of the more enjoyable tasks was celebrating retirements and service anniversaries.  It's great to get away from the day to day stuff and focus on something very positive.  And it really does have a great impact on the person being celebrated.

I primarily worked for a company 25 years although I had 16 other full time jobs in my life.For my long time job I had nearly 100 people reporting to me.I made sure that everybody had a birthday celebration every year .

• Like 4

1 hour ago, Lionesss said:

Greg, so excited for your upcoming retirement.

Welcome to the club.

Enjoy as you take the time to do all the things you have dreamed of.

The first month after I retired I wondered if I made the right decision to retire early.

So, I went back and offered 8 days to help out in the short staffing.  After the first day I realized this was not retirement.  I fulfilled my commitment and lived happily ever after.

My doubts were not real, and in-fact, I have never been happier.

When I retired most of my friends were still working.I sent out resumes and went for interviews in the belief that if something wonderful was offered to me I would accept it.One day I responded to an ad in the New York Times.I had absolutely no idea of what they were looking for but I somehow got an interview.The person who was retiring wanted to leave so badly after 3 weeks of interviews that she recommended me for an interview with the VP of the company.That person asked what kind of music I listened to and when I replied Classic Rock that aced the interview with that person.Next up was an interview with the company President.

in the belief that there was no way I would be hired when asked what salary I was looking for I gave twice as much as I had earned when I left my long time job.The guy looked at me ,had a frown on his face and said “When can you start ?”.

I worked there for one year and then re-retired .

• Like 4

That's how I could tell I was ready for retirement.  My love for what I was doing was waning.  There's always a part of (almost) any job that you don't like, paperwork, dealing with people that you don't want to deal with, etc.  The good part usually outweighs the bad part.  When the bad part started outweighing the good part, and medicine started being necessary for hypertension, I knew it was time.  So long as you love what you're doing, keep doing it!

After I retired for the second time I went to work for a friends Advertising Promotions Business.I was there 2 years.It was basically going to Advertising trade shows all over the east coast.In 2004 I retired for the third and last time.I have friends from nearly every job I ever had that I am in contact with by e-mail and phone primarily.

I love to converse .

• Like 2

8 hours ago, Coralc said:

I know it sounds weird, (and hard to explain) but my department dedicated the county crop report to me, when I retired. And I was really honored, because they have never done that before, in 120 years of Agricultural Commissioner's departments existence. 

Little things like that are actually huge things. That is a great story.

6 hours ago, grapau27 said:

Well deserved Gregg.

Happy retirement and hope your cruise is amazing.

Graham.

Thank you Graham. I hope I can spend it like you. Having lunch with my lovely wife, drinking some champagne and living the dream.

5 hours ago, sgmn said:

Up early this morning to make veggie version of the Greek tray bake I made for our anniversary a couple of weeks ago.

Looks amazing. I bet it tasted amazing as well.

2 hours ago, bobmacliberty said:

I was the boss of many people throughout my career and one of the more enjoyable tasks was celebrating retirements and service anniversaries.  It's great to get away from the day to day stuff and focus on something very positive.  And it really does have a great impact on the person being celebrated.

Sounds like you were an great boss. You get it. It's sometimes about the little things you do to create a sense of family and unity among the staff.

I've copied videos from my phone to my computer, loaded it into the Microsoft Video Editor app, and then immediately save as an .mp4 format rather than the default .mov format on my phone.  That seems to work, 

Anyone have any suggestions?  I hate it when I can't figure out a technical solution to something.

I think the Apple codec is the problem. Sounds like you found a work around even though it's a PITA. Only other suggestion would be to upload your videos to your You Tube account and post the embedded video. That's probabaly what I will do for my cruise and just make the video private so that anyone with the link can watch.

2 hours ago, Ocean Boy said:

@Sea Dog Great write up. It is great to see recognition in a world that, often times, only provides feed back when one screws up. Congratulations.

Thank you very much for your kind words.

2 hours ago, Lionesss said:

The first month after I retired I wondered if I made the right decision to retire early.

So, I went back and offered 8 days to help out in the short staffing.  After the first day I realized this was not retirement.  I fulfilled my commitment and lived happily ever after.

My doubts were not real, and in-fact, I have never been happier.

When I talked to my boss about retiring, I told him that i would be happy to come back from time to time and help out on projects. He thanked me and said he would but also said "Don't be surprised and it's ok to say no thank you, I'm doing fine with retirement if we call."

1 hour ago, Ocean Boy said:

but for the most part I still love what I do.

Thank you for what you do. 

1 hour ago, BonTexasNY said:

Greg, wonderful letter!  Thanks for sharing.  You have every right to feel proud of your accomplishments.

Thank You Bonnie!

I'm doing this mostly to confirm that it works.

So basically you re encoded it to H.264 right?

46 minutes ago, lenquixote66 said:

Congratulations on a wonderful career and hopefully a happy and healthy retirement.Re you being the recipient of Murrow awards.Both of my children are graduates of Edward Murrow HS.The school does not have sports teams other than Chess.They do have a TV station.My oldest had a program on the station which was not just viewable at the school but on a Cable TV network as well.She received several awards for her work on the show and was urged by her teachers to consider that as a career but she opted to become an Educator and is in her 26th.year of teaching.

I like the fact that they went to school that specializes in the arts and no sports. Congrats that your daughter is making a difference in the young loves of people as a teacher.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

On 9/29/2021 at 8:35 AM, Jimbo said:

Beautiful weather here at Myrtle Beach this week. Temperature around 82,water temp 78.

20210928_114800.jpg

20210928_111543.jpg

20210928_110834.jpg

20210927_143932_03.jpg

On 9/29/2021 at 8:39 AM, Jimbo said:

On 9/29/2021 at 9:00 AM, bobmacliberty said:

Today is Micheline's birthday.  She's 39 again! 😉  We are headed to the Jacksonville Zoo for the day.  Haven't been there yet.  And then dinner tonight at a nice local restaurant called Le Clos.  Should be a good day.

OK, I am way behind again, catching up.

Happy belated Birthday Micheline, hope it was a wonderful day!

Jimbo, those pics look, very familiar, here are a few from just a bit north of where you were, beautiful weather this week.

20210928_132222.jpg

20210928_135838.jpg

• Like 11

Out of curiosity, are you watching on your computer or on your phone?  My guess is that anyone using an iPhone (and probably a Mac computer) can watch but not those using Android or Windows.

I am on android and can not view it.  It is in mov format.  If you could convert it to a mp4 I believe all could view it. 

45 minutes ago, Sea Dog said:

I think the Apple codec is the problem. Sounds like you found a work around even though it's a PITA. Only other suggestion would be to upload your videos to your You Tube account and post the embedded video. That's probabaly what I will do for my cruise and just make the video private so that anyone with the link can watch.

So basically you re encoded it to H.264 right?

I may end up posting to YouTube as you suggest.  Transcoding with the MS Video Editor is not a huge issue, but uploading would be easier.

I think MS Video Editor exports to H.264 since it saves as a .mp4, but I know that an .mp4 container can technically also contain other codecs.  It's a fairly basic program and does not give you export options (at least that I could find).  You just choose between High, Medium, and Low quality, which equates to 1080p, 720p, and 540p.

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, Ozark_Kid said:

I can't remember if I posted this already.  Sorry if I did.  i love clouds. This was this morning. 

20211003_092145.jpg

What a view/ I'm sure this is your happy place.

2 minutes ago, bobmacliberty said:

I may end up posting to YouTube as you suggest.  Transcoding with the MS Video Editor is not a huge issue, but uploading would be easier.

Nice thing about You Tube is that if you have your own account you can decide which videos you want people to see. They are always there and you can post to different social media sites.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Sea Dog said:

Sounds like you were an great boss. You get it. It's sometimes about the little things you do to create a sense of family and unity among the staff.

That was always my way.  Treating employees like family, and using please and thank you made it a much more enjoyable place. 

Congratulations @sea dog on the wonderful tribute and your upcoming retirement.  

• Like 1

Went out walking early this morning.  No sign of the injured goose today, but it seems like the leaves are changing overnight. 

E050C4DC-FEC0-41EF-A3D7-D68D499BDDE8.thumb.jpeg.fa02be4dfa8fac1797e6b9b0769accc1.jpeg

I enjoy the color changes, but hate the fall cleanup.  At least my acorns are almost done, after gathering over 700 gallons of them.  The leaves will be next. 

• Like 7

Last night I went to Manhattan with my husband. He wanted to go to a show of the guitarist Tommy Emmanuel. 

First we had dinner. First photo is bar at restaurant we went to...

20211002_173722.thumb.jpg.d13ae471b1b22f1bd8c8c52be6d81107.jpg

Then two photos taken on walk to the event location, "Town Hall."  Times Square area was much more crowded than it appears in photo.

20211002_191540.thumb.jpg.6595523a791a6e70ff80d60aaf2b78f6.jpg

20211002_192630.thumb.jpg.861895504258d7e17e4fcd86545ebaa7.jpg

At the event... this was not really my type of thing, but  my husband enjoyed it. Tommy Emmanuel is an outstanding guitarist and entertainer.

20211002_212627.thumb.jpg.8ca394067fbf584da37527f1c29f7238.jpg

• Like 9

11 minutes ago, mets07 said:

Last night I went to Manhattan 

Then two photos taken on walk to the event location, "Town Hall."  Times Square area was much more crowded than it appears in photo.

20211002_191540.thumb.jpg.6595523a791a6e70ff80d60aaf2b78f6.jpg

20211002_192630.thumb.jpg.861895504258d7e17e4fcd86545ebaa7.jpg

Oh man I love NYC and miss taking trips in. Beautiful pictures.

• Like 4

5 hours ago, bobmacliberty said:

We almost missed it.  We only learned of it from our neighbors, so it may not have been well publicized.  This was not the full sized festival.  That will still happen in May.  This was more of a half sized event.  They didn't do the parade or the decorated shrimp boat competition.  Centre Street was closed from 4th to the Marina.  I've been told that for the regular festival in May, it's closed from 8th to the Marina, with a block closed in each direction off of Centre, and more than 500 vendor booths.  Parking was hard enough this time...can't imagine what it will be like in May.

It will be fun. Parking can be a problem, especially for the people who live close by who can’t get out of their driveways. There are always people who charge for parking in their yards. That’s probably the best bet. Go early, wear cool clothing and comfortable shoes!

• Like 2

4 hours ago, bobmacliberty said:

That's how I could tell I was ready for retirement.  My love for what I was doing was waning.  There's always a part of (almost) any job that you don't like, paperwork, dealing with people that you don't want to deal with, etc.  The good part usually outweighs the bad part.  When the bad part started outweighing the good part, and medicine started being necessary for hypertension, I knew it was time.  So long as you love what you're doing, keep doing it!

I always said about my job that I’d stay as long as the good outweighed the bad. 
Luckily for me the bad got really bad just as I became eligible for Social Security. 
I’ve never regretted leaving, and my life became so much richer when I did. 

• Like 4

4 hours ago, bobmacliberty said:

I copied the video to my computer and transcoded it.  Should be able to watch now.  The video is nothing special (unless you happen to see your friends in it).  I'm doing this mostly to confirm that it works.

Works for me!

Has anyone mentioned Brett’s  Waterway Cafe? I read that the building was condemned, but I see it’s still standing. 
The food was pretty ordinary, but having water on three sides made it popular.