Royal Caribbean Cruisers -- How Are Things Where You Are? (was "Routine" ​ 😁 ​day in lockdown... how was yours?)

18 minutes ago, dani negreanu said:

The "quiet dark roads" reminds me of a story... My BFF, after retirement, took a course of making your own wine -- from planting the seeds and until she got some 30 bottles of her "own" label.

The day of harvesting the grapes, she had to be there before dawn, and hit the road at 4AM. A few mins later, she got a call from her "security-car" service, asking her why is the car out and about at such an early hour, and on his way to the Palestinian authority (the vinegard was close to the border, and some Palestinians have a distinctive preference for Israelis jeeps...).

She replied that everything is OK, she is driving the car, and since she is a talkative one [like myself], she told the operator that she is on her way to harvest grapes...

When she arrived at the vinegard, she told her story to the others, and one of them exclaimed: "that's what happened to me too.... and the operator mused: 'so many people are suddenly driving at 4AM to harvest grapes' "?  [It must have been the same operator...]

And, yes, we got a bottle, and DH said it was quite a good wine...

@Sea Dog

The sort of "nice words to another" reminds me of another story ...

More than 30 years ago,  I typed a Ph.D in Physics to a Phantom fighter pilot, a very gifted person, who was also working as a B-740 captain at our national airline.

Because of his very tight schedule, I've done my best to accommodate his crazy hours, and sometimes he stayed on our balcony to proof my typing, instead of coming back a week later.

I was curious about his service during the wars, and he told me that he was a very lucky one, being shot down only once, above Egypt, in the Yom Kippur war. And that, by sheer luck, he was found by our troops and he and his navigator (which had broke both arms when ejected), were brought back safely.

Last week, I heard a promo for a special program at TV called "one in a million"... about 2 fighter pilots being stranded in Egypt, and the story seemed "familiar".

Lo and behold -- that's "my" pilot .... with a twist to the story -- turns out that he volunteered on week-ends, some 4 years before the war, to teach flying. He had one pupil, quite gifted, that after 4 or 5 lessons told him that he has no more money to come all the way to the flying club, and, asked, timidly, if he has a chance to be accepted in the army's flying course. "My" pilot hesitated a few moments, because it is the most prestigious course in the army, and only 4 finish out of 100, so he didn't want to give the eager pupil false expectations. In the end, he told him: "go, go with all your power".

Back to Egypt and the 2 stranded pilots. Their only chance of survival was if our troops will find them. He told the TV person that they have a device which transmits their position, and he put it on, while tending to his navigator. It was getting dark, and he suddenly heard a helicopter approaching, and getting nearer, and he told his navigator: "stay awake, stay awake, they are coming for us" !!

But, then, the helicopter turned away, and he began to think how the army will announce his parents of his demise... when he noticed that, while tending to his navigator, he pushed the device, and it stopped transmitting their position.

The helicopter was almost ready to give up, because, as they said in the program, it is flying quite close to the ground, and the pair were quite deep inside enemy territory. And the device stopped. Suddenly, at the last moment, they heard the device again, and quite quickly landed and took the pair on.

Why the long story?? Because after "my" pilot saw that his navigator was in good hands, he decided to go to the front and thank the helicopter's pilots for not giving up on them.

And who was helicopter's pilot??? The pupil from some years ago, whom "my" pilot had no idea that he managed to finish the prestigious course.

A good word of encouragement saved "my" pilot's life....

Aweome story. Thanks.

• Like 1

Just now, h20skibum said:

I had trouble keeping up before.  Now, with all the live reviews I am following, Roll calls, and this thread, my inbox is getting flooded with notifications.

I was just coming here to say I’m od’ing on CC!  Previously only followed this thread and Bella’s.  Now also have John & LaLa’s, Ozark Kid’s and Singalot’s.  I’m not complaining though!

• Like 6
  • Haha 2

12 minutes ago, ReneeFLL said:

We are on Odyssey and the captain announced that 10% of passengers still haven’t checked in. All aboard was 4:30. Wonder what’s going on with all of them.

Is there a CC thread for this cruise?

BTW, tell Mike to relax, I'm watching over the plane. Have a great cruise!

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

11 minutes ago, ReneeFLL said:

We are on Odyssey and the captain announced that 10% of passengers still haven’t checked in.

I will be interested in hearing about the 8 night Southern you are doing after this one. We are on the 8 night leaving on the 23rd. 

Have a great cruise. 

2 hours ago, Sunshine3601 said:

Gorgeous weather here today.  Low 80s no humidity and light breeze, perfect day😺

I have a pot of beef stew simmering for dinner while we are outside doing some yard work.  Getting things ready for fall since we leave for LBI on Tuesday and probably wont be back to until Halloween.

Sad day as I pulled out most of the garden.  Still have peppers and eggplant growing.  Will pick the last of them before we leave Tuesday.

My neighbor that will feed and care for Sparky and Eva will water my flowers and mums and told her to take whatever grows in garden while we are away.

Another sad part of the day was bringing out jeans and long pants to pack.  Hoping it will be short and flip flop weather for most of the time at the shore house but need to be prepared for cool evenings.

Eric has packed the car with our painting supplies, drop clothes, brushes, rollers, etc and will pick up the paint tomorrow that I ordered from Sherwin William's.  

Cannot wait to get there and see the ocean and put my feet in the sand.  😎

Have a wonderful time in one of my favorite places.😀

• Like 1

I haven't been on this thread much and I don't want to neglect my friends here so here it is, a Pic of Kenzie the driver! I thought it would be rude of me to go a whole week without posting a Grandkid Pic. 

LOL it double posted and I don't know how to get rid of one. 

20210917_114425.thumb.jpg.8280c8d218e8ee437770946e12c86024.jpg20210917_114425.thumb.jpg.8280c8d218e8ee437770946e12c86024.jpg

• Like 11

25 minutes ago, Ozark_Kid said:

I haven't been on this thread much and I don't want to neglect my friends here so here it is, a Pic of Kenzie the driver! I thought it would be rude of me to go a whole week without posting a Grandkid Pic. 

20210917_114425.thumb.jpg.8280c8d218e8ee437770946e12c86024.jpg20210917_114425.thumb.jpg.8280c8d218e8ee437770946e12c86024.jpg

Twice the delight! 🥰

• Like 4

37 minutes ago, Ozark_Kid said:

Doubly cute😀

• Like 2

16 hours ago, Sea Dog said:

So I am reflective tonight ( after a few good cocktails) and I am over whelmed as I near retirement to the outpouring of of love and support I have received from my co workers and management. I just received an incredible email announcement from my boss that really touched me. I am going to post this not to garner any ego gratification, but to say that there are people  in management who do value  employe's contribution.

It reads:

What’s the one thing that’s been delayed more during the pandemic than American Airlines flights?  Greg Steele’s retirement cruise! 

But the time has finally come.  Greg sets sail on November 1st – a day after his retirement on Friday, October 29th.  Despite all the delays caused by the pandemic, there has been a bright spot.  We’ve been able to keep Greg around and take advantage of his creativity and exceptional editing skills for several additional months.  

It’s been the icing on the cake for a career that’s spanned over 38 years.  Greg’s first full-time gig at KMBC started in 1983 as a photographer.  Since then, he’s covered hundreds of Chiefs games,  a Royals World Series, 3 KU Final Four’s, 2 presidential debates, and a Republican National Convention while traveling all over the US, parts of Europe, Asia, and Canada.  His work has been recognized with 6 Emmy’s and 2 regional Murrow awards.  His work on countless specials has helped KMBC & KCWE to be recognized nationwide for excellence.  To say Greg has contributed to the successes of our news department would be an understatement.  Greg’s creativity and skills have set a standard for all of us to work toward in the future.

Although I’ve only had the opportunity to work with Greg for a small part of his career – please allow me one personal memory.  Shortly after I came ashore here…. I asked people to share their thoughts on “who we were” as a television station.  Greg showed up with a two page written letter.  He wrote about our history.  He wrote about what we’ve meant to Kansas City.  He wrote about what working here means for many of you.  He offered idea after idea – many of which made their way into our planning.  I thanked him then.  And I thank him now for all he’s contributed over the years.  We can all hope for such an important legacy.

We’ll be celebrating his impressive career on Friday, 10/29.  We invite you all to join us in the newsroom to mark this milestone in Greg’s life.  More details to come on that.  Until then… please feel free to drop by the “Steele Suite”, keep your distance, and wish him good luck on his next voyage!

Congratulations, Greg.  And thank you for your service to our city.

DanO

OUTSTANDING, GREG!

I'm sure there will be many tears shed on your last day in the newsroom.  Congratulations!!!!!!

• Like 2

4 hours ago, jagsfan said:

Works for me!

Has anyone mentioned Brett’s  Waterway Cafe? I read that the building was condemned, but I see it’s still standing. 
The food was pretty ordinary, but having water on three sides made it popular. 

Not sure of the current situation regarding it being condemned, but it seems like there's a lot of politics involved.  I think the restaurant is still open.

Is Brett’s Final Sunset Coming At Current Location? – Amelia Island Living eMagazine

We've eaten there twice.  I agree that the food was just OK at best.  The dock is a great place though to watch the sun set over the intracoastal waterway.

19 hours ago, MJSailors said:

I think the name of the street you are trying to remember was Livingston St.

The headquarters for the NYC Board of Ed was 110 Livingston Street.

Thank you!  That is, indeed, the address I couldn't recall last evening.😉

• Thanks 1

5 hours ago, A&L_Ont said:

I had multi-quoted many posts, but CC went sideways on me. It’s been acting up for more than a week, in private mode and regular mode. I can’t wait for these issues to fixed. 

Happy celebrations to all celebrating a special day;  birthdays, watching ball games, enjoying their cruise, wonderful lunches and Greg’s glowing retirement letter. I hope everyone enjoy their day, whatever they are up to. 

I'm with you, Andrew.  I tried multi-quoting and finally gave up.  Same with some quotes.🧐

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, bobmacliberty said:

I forgot to ask...what were the few good cocktails?

How did you like that 40- 0 Bills win, saw game in a bills fan bar with a hundred bills fan cheering each play, bar also had excellent wings😁.

4 hours ago, Sunshine3601 said:

Gorgeous weather here today.  Low 80s no humidity and light breeze, perfect day😺

Another sad part of the day was bringing out jeans and long pants to pack.  Hoping it will be short and flip flop weather for most of the time at the shore house but need to be prepared for cool evenings.

Eric has packed the car with our painting supplies, drop clothes, brushes, rollers, etc and will pick up the paint tomorrow that I ordered from Sherwin William's.  

Cannot wait to get there and see the ocean and put my feet in the sand.  😎

Have a wonderful time in LBI Debbie and Eric, but don't overdo it too much with all of the painting you plan on doing.

I began taking out some winter clothing today...always such a fun tour..not!!

3 hours ago, Sunshine3601 said:

You must ecstatic that you will leave for Greece tomorrow.   I will definitely be following your thread.

I wish you and Nate safe travels and hope for great weather😊

Have a great time in Greece, Crystal and Nate!!!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Ozark_Kid said:

Twice as cute!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, dani negreanu said:

Why the long story?? Because after "my" pilot saw that his navigator was in good hands, he decided to go to the front and thank the helicopter's pilots for not giving up on them.

And who was helicopter's pilot??? The pupil from some years ago, whom "my" pilot had no idea that he managed to finish the prestigious course.

A good word of encouragement saved "my" pilot's life....

Hence the saying, "It's a Small World after all".

• Like 2