Royal Caribbean Cruisers -- How Are Things Where You Are? (was "Routine" ​ 😁 ​day in lockdown... how was yours?)

22 hours ago, Lionesss said:

Went back to Penn State, Sharon and Happy Valley Campus

I will say, small world.  I lived with my cousin when I started at Penn State, Sharon, then transferred to main campus.  Of course, I would have been there a few years before you.

At the main campus, one of my fraternity brothers was the brother of someone who would later gain some notoriety in the US.  Her initials were HRC, and her husband WJC.  They lived in Washington, DC for a while.  

Enterprising young man that I was, I ran the beer and pop concession at the fraternity house.  It payed my bills.

• Like 4

7 hours ago, h20skibum said:

Went out walking early this morning.  No sign of the injured goose today, but it seems like the leaves are changing overnight. 

E050C4DC-FEC0-41EF-A3D7-D68D499BDDE8.thumb.jpeg.fa02be4dfa8fac1797e6b9b0769accc1.jpeg

I enjoy the color changes, but hate the fall cleanup.  At least my acorns are almost done, after gathering over 700 gallons of them.  The leaves will be next. 

Beautiful photos.  What do you do with all those acorns?

2 hours ago, Ozark_Kid said:

I haven't been on this thread much and I don't want to neglect my friends here so here it is, a Pic of Kenzie the driver! I thought it would be rude of me to go a whole week without posting a Grandkid Pic. 

20210917_114425.thumb.jpg.8280c8d218e8ee437770946e12c86024.jpg

The title of the book says it all. What a cutie. 

• Like 3

9 minutes ago, Sunshine3601 said:

Beautiful photos.  What do you do with all those acorns?

They all go in yard waste carts for pickup.  Each cart holds almost 100 gallons. 

The drawback to the trees is all the cleanup required.  The plus is that the shade keeps the house 10-15° cooler in the summer. 

• Like 3

4 hours ago, ReneeFLL said:

We are on Odyssey and the captain announced that 10% of passengers still haven’t checked in. All aboard was 4:30. Wonder what’s going on with all of them.

Did your sail away get delayed?  Hope you have a great time. 

3 hours ago, Ozark_Kid said:

I haven't been on this thread much and I don't want to neglect my friends here so here it is, a Pic of Kenzie the driver! I thought it would be rude of me to go a whole week without posting a Grandkid Pic. 

LOL it double posted and I don't know how to get rid of one. 

20210917_114425.thumb.jpg.8280c8d218e8ee437770946e12c86024.jpg20210917_114425.thumb.jpg.8280c8d218e8ee437770946e12c86024.jpg

I think you should have taken her to help steer the ship!  After all, she is the driver. 🚢

• Haha 1

4 minutes ago, h20skibum said:

They all go in yard waste carts for pickup.  Each cart holds almost 100 gallons. 

The drawback to the trees is all the cleanup required.  The plus is that the shade keeps the house 10-15° cooler in the summer. 

All the rain this summer really led to a bumper crop for crab apples too.  We raked and shoveled way too many of them yesterday.  We have a yard waste pickup at this time of year on a bizarre schedule this year.  Used to be every two weeks for the fall but it was Friday and then in two weeks but then not for a month, so we are trying to get rid of as much as we can.  Our barrels do not get picked up be the truck itself though, so we can't make them too heavy for them to be picked up or the men leave them.  I wish they would get the trucks that lift the barrels themselves like the other towns use around here.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, mo&fran said:

yes , there are a lot, but the best is Radio  who is on Oasis, and he is B2B, which surprisingly he said was his first time to do that.

Thank you so much for the head's up on Radio's Live Review.  Now I have I have 6 threads I am following!

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

35 minutes ago, h20skibum said:

At the main campus, one of my fraternity brothers was the brother of someone who would later gain some notoriety in the US.  Her initials were HRC, and her husband WJC.  They lived in Washington, DC for a while.  

Enterprising young man that I was, I ran the beer and pop concession at the fraternity house.  It payed my bills.

Washington DC gave it away.  Notoriety, oh yes!

• Like 3

18 minutes ago, reallyitsmema said:

I wish they would get the trucks that lift the barrels themselves like the other towns use around here.

They do pickup every week through the first of December.  They would never be able to lift them without the truck lifts.  I am just glad my drive slopes down to the street, or I wouldn’t be able to move them. 

• Like 2

17 minutes ago, Ocean Boy said:

Fortunately, she left town on a one way ticket.

This has nothing to do with politics but a personal observation.  Years ago, I met her at a Town Hall type meeting in NY.  She was polished, well spoken but I felt no warmth. She called us women "girlfriends" which I found to be patronizing.  I don't think she connected on a personal level with many in that room but that could have just been my own feelings.

Edited by BonTexasNY
  • Like 4

1 hour ago, h20skibum said:

I will say, small world.  I lived with my cousin when I started at Penn State, Sharon, then transferred to main campus.  Of course, I would have been there a few years before you.

A cousin of mine went to school with HRC.They maintained a friendship.At some point she told my cousin that when and I emphasize the word when WJC  becomes POTUS there will be a job for my cousin.That came to be when my cousin became a Federal Prosecutor in the Justice Department.

42 minutes ago, BonTexasNY said:

This has nothing to do with politics but a personal observation.  Years ago, I met her at a Town Hall type meeting in NY.  She was polished, well spoken but I felt no warmth. She called us women "girlfriends" which I found to be patronizing.  I don't think she connected on a personal level with many in that room but that could have just been my own feelings.

When they moved to Chapaqua,NY ,they lived directly across the street from a friend of mine.One day my friends wife was in a market and saw HRC ,approached her and invited her to join a neighborhood mahjong group.Her SS guard nearly pounced on my friends wife .H said thank you for the invitation but I do not think I will have the time.

53 minutes ago, BonTexasNY said:

My MIL met her as well at a Town Hall / Photo Op type thing many years ago, when she first moved to NY and  was running for Senator.  She had the same feeling as you.

• Like 3

29 minutes ago, lenquixote66 said:

When they moved to Chapaqua,NY ,they lived directly across the street from a friend of mine.One day my friends wife was in a market and saw HRC ,approached her and invited her to join a neighborhood mahjong group.Her SS guard nearly pounced on my friends wife .H said thank you for the invitation but I do not think I will have the time.

Somehow based on my beloved mah jong games, I don't see H as a happy participant who would fit in comfortably. On both sides.  I'm surprised your friend's wife asked.

However....I had a friend that was a Neil Diamond groupie.  She was at that time, in her 50s and traveled all over the tri-state NY area to attend his concerts.  A few times she was able to gain access backstage.  Once she invited him to her Passover Sedar (holiday meal).  He graciously declined but stayed and chatted with her at length..

• Like 2

12 hours ago, dani negreanu said:

The "quiet dark roads" reminds me of a story... My BFF, after retirement, took a course of making your own wine -- from planting the seeds and until she got some 30 bottles of her "own" label.

The day of harvesting the grapes, she had to be there before dawn, and hit the road at 4AM. A few mins later, she got a call from her "security-car" service, asking her why is the car out and about at such an early hour, and on his way to the Palestinian authority (the vinegard was close to the border, and some Palestinians have a distinctive preference for Israelis jeeps...).

She replied that everything is OK, she is driving the car, and since she is a talkative one [like myself], she told the operator that she is on her way to harvest grapes...

When she arrived at the vinegard, she told her story to the others, and one of them exclaimed: "that's what happened to me too.... and the operator mused: 'so many people are suddenly driving at 4AM to harvest grapes' "?  [It must have been the same operator...]

And, yes, we got a bottle, and DH said it was quite a good wine...

@Sea Dog

The sort of "nice words to another" reminds me of another story ...

More than 30 years ago,  I typed a Ph.D in Physics to a Phantom fighter pilot, a very gifted person, who was also working as a B-740 captain at our national airline.

Because of his very tight schedule, I've done my best to accommodate his crazy hours, and sometimes he stayed on our balcony to proof my typing, instead of coming back a week later.

I was curious about his service during the wars, and he told me that he was a very lucky one, being shot down only once, above Egypt, in the Yom Kippur war. And that, by sheer luck, he was found by our troops and he and his navigator (which had broke both arms when ejected), were brought back safely.

Last week, I heard a promo for a special program at TV called "one in a million"... about 2 fighter pilots being stranded in Egypt, and the story seemed "familiar".

Lo and behold -- that's "my" pilot .... with a twist to the story -- turns out that he volunteered on week-ends, some 4 years before the war, to teach flying. He had one pupil, quite gifted, that after 4 or 5 lessons told him that he has no more money to come all the way to the flying club, and, asked, timidly, if he has a chance to be accepted in the army's flying course. "My" pilot hesitated a few moments, because it is the most prestigious course in the army, and only 4 finish out of 100, so he didn't want to give the eager pupil false expectations. In the end, he told him: "go, go with all your power".

Back to Egypt and the 2 stranded pilots. Their only chance of survival was if our troops will find them. He told the TV person that they have a device which transmits their position, and he put it on, while tending to his navigator. It was getting dark, and he suddenly heard a helicopter approaching, and getting nearer, and he told his navigator: "stay awake, stay awake, they are coming for us" !!

But, then, the helicopter turned away, and he began to think how the army will announce his parents of his demise... when he noticed that, while tending to his navigator, he pushed the device, and it stopped transmitting their position.

The helicopter was almost ready to give up, because, as they said in the program, it is flying quite close to the ground, and the pair were quite deep inside enemy territory. And the device stopped. Suddenly, at the last moment, they heard the device again, and quite quickly landed and took the pair on.

Why the long story?? Because after "my" pilot saw that his navigator was in good hands, he decided to go to the front and thank the helicopter's pilots for not giving up on them.

And who was helicopter's pilot??? The pupil from some years ago, whom "my" pilot had no idea that he managed to finish the prestigious course.

A good word of encouragement saved "my" pilot's life....

Beautiful story Dani, shows that we are connected and what you give,  you receive back 🙏 

• Like 6

12 hours ago, George C said:

How did you like that 40- 0 Bills win, saw game in a bills fan bar with a hundred bills fan cheering each play, bar also had excellent wings😁.

Loved it.  Much easier to watch when the outcome isn't in doubt.  Had about 20 Bills fans in the bar where we were.  There were just as many Eagles fans who were trying hard to get their team to beat the Chiefs.  No luck.  Fans from all other teams scattered around the bar in front of different TVs, including Dolphin fans who didn't have much to say. 😈  My new favorite place on a Sunday afternoon.

Huge game next Sunday night.  Go Bills!

• Like 2