Royal Caribbean Cruisers -- How Are Things Where You Are? (was "Routine" ​ 😁 ​day in lockdown... how was yours?)

3 hours ago, Luckynana said:

Bonnie is going strong around here, although she doesn't see or hear as well as she used to.  She's a happy gal, though, very much loved around here.

Blessings to you also, Pat!

Maryann, OMG that's ME you just described,  Of course I had to change one little 3 letter word.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, island lady said:

Bucky is asleep before we even take off.  He can pretty much sleep anywhere.  Of course being nearly deaf helps as well.  😉   Me...no way I can sleep on plane...hard enough to sleep at home😮 

4 hours ago, derorim said:

Andy and I are the exact same way. The ability to fall asleep is a gift. I'm jealous.

Same here... DH falls asleep in milliseconds, everywhere.... even in planes, after double espresso 😉

Me? I toss and toss, even with 2 sleeping pills. Awful.

I keep telling DH he's so lucky being able to sleep so so easily. It truly is a gift made in Heaven.

• Like 9

17 minutes ago, LucasLikesToCruise said:

There is a saying I heard a long time ago.  It goes something like “If you are not paying for the service, then you are the service”. I probably messed up the original quote, but nothing free.  Facebook, Twitter, Instagram, even Cruise Critic sells your information to pay for the services you receive.  
pits amazing how much control big tech has over everything. 🤔

It is more likely to be places you shop,hospitals and utilities who sell your info.

1 minute ago, BonTexasNY said:

Graham, that looks like a shopping complex in  NY called Woodbury Commons about an hour North of Manhattan,  AND, you always make even a dreary day seem like a lovely holiday..

Thank you For your nice words Bonnie.

Graham.

• Like 2

53 minutes ago, Sea Dog said:

Wow that's very interesting and yes I would not be surprised. I need to check my phone. I have Sprint/T-mobile and I get tons of spam calls.

what was weird that they stopped with they stopped when I got new phone, the old phone  had the TMobile sim card installed. I turned in my wife's and my phone at the same time. She continued getting the calls, I stopped till I went on FB because to check my number, and that's when they started again.

12 minutes ago, Sea Dog said:

Have you seen the documentary "The Social Dilemma?" A great doc on the power of social media and those companies on us. It is very good and scary.

I once went into a hotel website and all of a sudden my FB picture and name popped up.  I couldn't believe it. I was also inundated with tons of emails from people I hardly new.  One of my sister's  friend's asked to friend me.  I had no idea who she was until my sister enlightened me. I had enough.  I attempted to delete my FB account which years ago was not easy but I persevered and got it removed.  I now have a FB account with a "different" last name.  It lists my birthyear as 1963.  I wish! I clicked edit but that year is stamped in stone. Can't change it for nuthin'. I only use FB to keep up with current photos of my gorgeous daughter and grands AND check the Bella cruise page.  

• Like 3

22 hours ago, Sea Dog said:

At least you are on board. Have a great cruise.

So true. 🥂💃

22 hours ago, h20skibum said:

I will be interested in hearing about the 8 night Southern you are doing after this one. We are on the 8 night leaving on the 23rd. 

Have a great cruise. 

Thanks. I'm going to be commenting more about them.

• Like 3

39 minutes ago, dani negreanu said:

What's a BB?  Google was no help.... ☹️

A BB is a little round pellet used in a BB gun. There were paper targets available for purchase. They were meant for play, not to injure.
 Most American boys used to have them. I used to shoot my brothers’ guns, the only weapons I have ever fired. 
we would put tin cans on a post and shoot at them. 
I guess they’re still available if there are still people shooting small animals like cats snd dogs.  

• Like 1

I haven't used FB (other than FB marketplace to sell some stuff when we moved) in years. Their security is terrible.  People constantly being hacked and emails/texts then being sent to all of their "friends", that can cause some real damage if opened/read.  No thanks.  It's unfortunate (to me at least) that so many people use FB to communicate important things...things that I often miss.  My own sister complained to me that I didn't reply to her important question.  She sent it via FB Messenger and I never saw it.  

• Like 5

4 minutes ago, jagsfan said:

A BB is a little round pellet used in a BB gun. There were paper targets available for purchase. They were meant for play, not to injure.
 Most American boys used to have them. I used to shoot my brothers’ guns, the only weapons I have ever fired. 
I guess they’re still available if there are still people shooting small animals like cats snd dogs.  

I think BB is short for ball bearing. 

• Thanks 1

26 minutes ago, dani negreanu said:

Me? I toss and toss, even with 2 sleeping pills. Awful.

I never sleep well I toss and turn all night.

17 minutes ago, mo&fran said:

, I stopped till I went on FB because to check my number, and that's when they started again.

I just checked my security preferences and I have notifications turned off for Facebook but I still get a lot of spam. I even have some spam and ad blocker apps installed. Still no use.

11 minutes ago, BonTexasNY said:

I attempted to delete my FB account which years ago was not easy but I persevered and got it removed.  I now have a FB account with a "different" last name. 

It was a nightmare to delete my mothers Facebook account after she passed away. I had to send death certificates and fill out out all kinds of forms.

Brilliant on the idea of the separate account.

2 minutes ago, bobmacliberty said:

Their security is terrible. 

Totally agree Bob. It's horrible.

• Like 3

39 minutes ago, jagsfan said:

When I was a kid my brother and I were shooting bb's at each other.  He hit me in the eye and I spent a week in the hospital.  The first night they let us children stay up late to watch Alford Hitchcock, The birds.  I had to have my eyes totally covered that night so all I could do is listen to the birds go crazy and the kids scream!  BTW, after a few weeks my eye was fine and I have had no problems with it since.  There is still a spot on the eye where I got hit. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, lenquixote66 said:

It is more likely to be places you shop,hospitals and utilities who sell your info.

In Florida, unless something changed, the Florida Department of Highway Safety and Motor Vehicles sells everyone’s info and it’s legal. 
I used to get junk mail with my maiden name as a middle name. 
It dawned on me my driver’s license was the only place that had my maiden name.

Do I checked into it, changed to my actual middle name on my license, and that junk mail stopped.
Facebook doesn’t have my phone numbers. So they’re not selling them.  

On 10/3/2021 at 5:05 PM, lenquixote66 said:

Enjoy your cruise😀

Thanks Lenny.

23 hours ago, Ozark_Kid said:

I haven't been on this thread much and I don't want to neglect my friends here so here it is, a Pic of Kenzie the driver! I thought it would be rude of me to go a whole week without posting a Grandkid Pic. 

LOL it double posted and I don't know how to get rid of one. 

20210917_114425.thumb.jpg.8280c8d218e8ee437770946e12c86024.jpg

What a cute.

6 hours ago, Keksie said:

......He is the best cat.  Super personality.  Nothing bothers him and he loves my husband.  He has a BB in his side from before and it was obvious he had never been fed.  The first night he ate 3 bowls of food and it took awhile for him to figure out there would always be food.  

How long did it take for the kitty to realize there would always be food? We have a cat like that who was a bag of bones when I found her and she is now 15 pds. She is such a loving cat that I thought she must have had a loving family before. It doesn't sound like when Big Boy was with the other family he wasn't loved to much. How could someone say they would just shot him if he had know about the amount of money? Horrible people. So glad you were there to save him.

• Like 4

1 hour ago, BonTexasNY said:

I once went into a hotel website and all of a sudden my FB picture and name popped up.  I couldn't believe it. ... I now have a FB account with a "different" last name.  It lists my birthyear as 1963.  I wish! I clicked edit but that year is stamped in stone. Can't change it for nuthin'. I only use FB to keep up with current photos of my gorgeous daughter and grands AND check the Bella cruise page.  

That is really creepy to have your picture displayed on that website. 

Has anyone noticed that after they have talked out loud about a company or item, it soon shows up in advertisements on your FB?  That really bothers me.  I'm not real sure if it's my phone or Alexa device that's listening in.  Probably both.

On 10/3/2021 at 1:46 AM, Sea Dog said:

So I am reflective tonight ( after a few good cocktails) and I am over whelmed as I near retirement to the outpouring of of love and support I have received from my co workers and management. I just received an incredible email announcement from my boss that really touched me. I am going to post this not to garner any ego gratification, but to say that there are people  in management who do value  employe's contribution.

It reads:

What’s the one thing that’s been delayed more during the pandemic than American Airlines flights?  Greg Steele’s retirement cruise! 

But the time has finally come.  Greg sets sail on November 1st – a day after his retirement on Friday, October 29th.  Despite all the delays caused by the pandemic, there has been a bright spot.  We’ve been able to keep Greg around and take advantage of his creativity and exceptional editing skills for several additional months.  

It’s been the icing on the cake for a career that’s spanned over 38 years.  Greg’s first full-time gig at KMBC started in 1983 as a photographer.  Since then, he’s covered hundreds of Chiefs games,  a Royals World Series, 3 KU Final Four’s, 2 presidential debates, and a Republican National Convention while traveling all over the US, parts of Europe, Asia, and Canada.  His work has been recognized with 6 Emmy’s and 2 regional Murrow awards.  His work on countless specials has helped KMBC & KCWE to be recognized nationwide for excellence.  To say Greg has contributed to the successes of our news department would be an understatement.  Greg’s creativity and skills have set a standard for all of us to work toward in the future.

Although I’ve only had the opportunity to work with Greg for a small part of his career – please allow me one personal memory.  Shortly after I came ashore here…. I asked people to share their thoughts on “who we were” as a television station.  Greg showed up with a two page written letter.  He wrote about our history.  He wrote about what we’ve meant to Kansas City.  He wrote about what working here means for many of you.  He offered idea after idea – many of which made their way into our planning.  I thanked him then.  And I thank him now for all he’s contributed over the years.  We can all hope for such an important legacy.

We’ll be celebrating his impressive career on Friday, 10/29.  We invite you all to join us in the newsroom to mark this milestone in Greg’s life.  More details to come on that.  Until then… please feel free to drop by the “Steele Suite”, keep your distance, and wish him good luck on his next voyage!

Congratulations, Greg.  And thank you for your service to our city.

DanO

Please forgive my late contribution as the last couple of days have been rather busy and trying to keep up with the live threads isn't helping. 

That is very nice and thoughtful for your employer to put out this letter of your accomplishments.   You have been very fortunate to work with an Employer that acknowledges and appreciates you.    Very touching🤩