Royal Caribbean Cruisers -- How Are Things Where You Are? (was "Routine" ​ 😁 ​day in lockdown... how was yours?)

27 minutes ago, bobmacliberty said:

OB - You may already understand how the "exposure triangle" concept works in photography and are just asking how he executed this.  If so, ignore the rest of this post.  If not, there are several good websites/videos that explain the exposure triangle (balancing aperture, shutter speed, and ISO) and how to use it to photograph different types of scenes.  Google it and you'll get a zillion results.  Here's one that covers the basics: What Is Exposure? (A Beginner’s Guide) (photographylife.com) You'll even find a lot of sites on how to specifically photograph fireworks, which have their unique challenges.

If you prefer a physical book that you can put on a shelf and refer to periodically, I highly recommend "Understanding Exposure" by Bryan Peterson.  It's less than $20.  Here's the Amazon link.

Note that most (all??) mobile phone cameras have a fixed aperture...the size of the opening in the lens that controls how much light is passed to the sensor.  DSLR camera lenses typically have adjustable aperture opening sizes which are one leg of the exposure triangle.  Since the aperture is fixed on phone cameras, you can only adjust the other two legs...shutter speed and ISO.

I was asking how he was pulling off making adjustments to a fleeting target like fireworks. However, I very much appreciate all of your information. I love learning as much as I can about the subject. I"m always trying to get the perfect shot with proper exposure and color balance and saturation.

• Like 3

9 hours ago, Ozark_Kid said:

Once you select Pro the options pop up as in section 1.  To use ISO, SPEED, EV just tap on the one you want to adjust.  Below I have ISO selected.   Now to adjust go to 2. and slide your finger in the space next to Auto were you see vertical lines.  If you feel stuck hit the < button,  3, and it will take you back a step.

I would suggest trying out the EV.  It will adjust exposure. 

Screenshot_20220705-212457_Camera.thumb.jpg.1d8cbbe7d8ecfb794a74b848437f8a81.jpg

Great info.  I have to start playing with camera settings on my phone.   

• Like 2

9 hours ago, Ozark_Kid said:

Once you select Pro the options pop up as in section 1.  To use ISO, SPEED, EV just tap on the one you want to adjust.  Below I have ISO selected.   Now to adjust go to 2. and slide your finger in the space next to Auto were you see vertical lines.  If you feel stuck hit the < button,  3, and it will take you back a step.

I would suggest trying out the EV.  It will adjust exposure. 

Screenshot_20220705-212457_Camera.thumb.jpg.1d8cbbe7d8ecfb794a74b848437f8a81.jpg

Question to far right says WB a2500k...what is that?

7 minutes ago, Sunshine3601 said:

Question to far right says WB a2500k...what is that?

That refers to "white balance." All light has a color temperature. Outside light is around 5600K or 5600 Kelvin (unit of thermodynamic temperature) while inside light is around 3200K. Have you ever seen blue tint video on a news story? It's normally due to the photographer had the wrong color balance.

Edited by Sea Dog
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

8 hours ago, taznremmy said:

Any recommendations or suggestions are most welcome.

Pat, I "erred" on the side of over cautious, and still got it...

Really, we were on our "toes" the whole cruise, double masked, leaving the elevator if too many people, all of them unmasked, pilled in, waited for another elevator if one arrived too full... We were on deck 12, just one deck away from the buffet and the pool, so most of the time we didn't need the elevators at all.

We went only to the 3 musicals, they're giving masks at the entrance, but nobody enforced wearing them. The 2nd time I've asked if supplying the masks it's only for CYA, and they more or less admitted it...

Ate alone at one table, and usually tried to leave another table "free" between us and others. Taxi in port - double masked. Bus excursions - the same...

Moreover, I've used the "lemon trick" which helped us in our holiday in Dubai, and whenever we got in suspicious contacts with others -- take a cotton tip, dip it in freshly squeezed lemon, stick it up your nose like taking a Covid test, and then drink a teaspoon of it and let the juice linger in your throat...

It is supposed to create an unfriendly environment for the virus to replicate. We've done the "trick" until the last 2 days of the cruise... May be I got it because we stopped, thinking in this cruise we're in the "clear".

DH didn't get it, and he was less "arduous" than I.

Wishing you Covid free cruises, and.... get boosted.

• Like 9
  • Thanks 1

I have been so lucky all of these years to have Jim as our handyman.  Time to pass on the torch.  We hired a young man who is taking over his Dad's business, to take down our brick steps and to replace completely.  The Dad did a great job on our steps.  We then asked if they could replace the decorative balcony over the steps, they said they could.  The father is no longer involved, son came back with a carpenter and we decided we would go with a "shed" roof over the steps.  When they came to start the work, they found a lot of water damage behind the bricks that surround our front door.  Could they fix this?  Yes.  Will get back to us with costs, etc.  That never happened.  Yesterday, I was expecting ??? them to come and at least start to take the brick down.  They never showed up.  It's now 9:20, and still no workers.  No phone calls....I'm so not used to this.   In the past, Jim would've been out there, bricks taken down, new plywood, etc.  Jim has repeatedly mentioned to the son that we can understand he's busy, just give us a phone call.  Just a phone call to know where we're at....just call...

Rant Over.

• Like 13

9 minutes ago, Luckynana said:

I have been so lucky all of these years to have Jim as our handyman.  Time to pass on the torch.  We hired a young man who is taking over his Dad's business, to take down our brick steps and to replace completely.  The Dad did a great job on our steps.  We then asked if they could replace the decorative balcony over the steps, they said they could.  The father is no longer involved, son came back with a carpenter and we decided we would go with a "shed" roof over the steps.  When they came to start the work, they found a lot of water damage behind the bricks that surround our front door.  Could they fix this?  Yes.  Will get back to us with costs, etc.  That never happened.  Yesterday, I was expecting ??? them to come and at least start to take the brick down.  They never showed up.  It's now 9:20, and still no workers.  No phone calls....I'm so not used to this.   In the past, Jim would've been out there, bricks taken down, new plywood, etc.  Jim has repeatedly mentioned to the son that we can understand he's busy, just give us a phone call.  Just a phone call to know where we're at....just call...

Rant Over.

Definitely sounds frustrating.   It is very annoying when you are waiting to hear if they are coming or not.   Hopefully you hear soon😃

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, dani negreanu said:

Pat, I "erred" on the side of over cautious, and still got it...

Really, we were on our "toes" the whole cruise, double masked, leaving the elevator if too many people, all of them unmasked, pilled in, waited for another elevator if one arrived too full... We were on deck 12, just one deck away from the buffet and the pool, so most of the time we didn't need the elevators at all.

We went only to the 3 musicals, they're giving masks at the entrance, but nobody enforced wearing them. The 2nd time I've asked if supplying the masks it's only for CYA, and they more or less admitted it...

Ate alone at one table, and usually tried to leave another table "free" between us and others. Taxi in port - double masked. Bus excursions - the same...

Moreover, I've used the "lemon trick" which helped us in our holiday in Dubai, and whenever we got in suspicious contacts with others -- take a cotton tip, dip it in freshly squeezed lemon, stick it up your nose like taking a Covid test, and then drink a teaspoon of it and let the juice linger in your throat...

It is supposed to create an unfriendly environment for the virus to replicate. We've done the "trick" until the last 2 days of the cruise... May be I got it because we stopped, thinking in this cruise we're in the "clear".

DH didn't get it, and he was less "arduous" than I.

Wishing you Covid free cruises, and.... get boosted.

Interesting, I have never heard the lemon trick.  

Really makes you wonder why you caught it but your Husband didn't.   I'm the only one in my family that hasn't had it.

I hope you are back to 100% soon🥰

• Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, lenquixote66 said:

Deja vu all over again.Tonight is Big Brother followed by The Challenge USA.

One contestant on BB was born in SI.

It seems that I posted this yesterday.Today is Wednesday,correct ?

Yes, today is Wednesday.

I had to think about it😃

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, Luckynana said:

Rant Over.

I had the same issue when I was having some work done inside my house. My dad would come over and stay as I will not have workers in the house unsupervised. However, they would not show up or call. Finally, I had a talk with them about how disrespectful they were being and told them everytime they pulled that crap I was going to deduct a certain amount per hour from their contract and use the money to pay my father for his time. Even that threat didn't work.😐

One of the guys asked why don't you just give us a key? I said this is my home not a construction site and you are not getting any F'ing key.

• Like 17

18 minutes ago, Luckynana said:

Rant Over.

That has to be so frustrating and it’s very inconsiderate.  I’m very grateful to also be married to my handyman, even if he’s currently out of commission.  
I don’t think I’ve mentioned it here, but over the years Andy has shared his handyman/construction skills with a few select people we know by helping them with projects like tiling bathrooms, painting, replacing doors & trim, installing custom molding, etc.  He’s so diligent about doing things right (including always showing up when he says he will) and leaving the place spotless that he could certainly make a very nice living if he wanted to just based on word of mouth.  But he didn’t retire to work full time so it’s really just to keep him occupied.  As one if our friends put it “everyone should have an Andy”, lol. 

• Like 12

1 minute ago, Momof3gurlz said:

That has to be so frustrating and it’s very inconsiderate.  I’m very grateful to also be married to my handyman, even if he’s currently out of commission.  
I don’t think I’ve mentioned it here, but over the years Andy has shared his handyman/construction skills with a few select people we know by helping them with projects like tiling bathrooms, painting, replacing doors & trim, installing custom molding, etc.  He’s so diligent about doing things right (including always showing up when he says he will) and leaving the place spotless that he could certainly make a very nice living if he wanted to just based on word of mouth.  But he didn’t retire to work full time so it’s really just to keep him occupied.  As one if our friends put it “everyone should have an Andy”, lol. 

I am fanatical about time. My father is the same way. My mother and brother have little understanding of the concept. As a kid it drove me crazy.

• Like 6

Unfortunately, this fault/trait of workers seems to be universal.  Here in our small town everyone seems to have had the experience of someone comes to look at a job…is either going to get back to you with a quote or has arranged a day/time to come…and then never shows.  No call.  We refer to this as the Wilkes County way of saying they really don’t want the job.  Extremely frustrating.

• Like 5

47 minutes ago, Luckynana said:

Rant Over.

Residents of our Condo received a notice that decks and terraced would be power washed last week.We were scheduled for Thursday between 8 and 3.Of course nobody showed up.We called and were told that they would be here Friday.They came but only did the deck.They were supposed to be back yesterday but were not.We called this morning and were told that they were off to celebrate the holiday and would be here this morning.

They are still not here.My next door neighbor has some of his terrace furniture on his front lawn.It looks like he is having a garage sale.

• Like 1

A good reliable tradie or a family member like Andy are worth their weight in gold.  We currently have no hot water.  Plumber is flat out and says he may get to us tomorrow or it could be Friday.

Lists - I think I’ve mentioned this before but Dad writes his shopping lists in German.

Before family comes over to visit he writes a list of things to ask/show us while we are over.  Then a separate list for the 3 grandkids that are tech specific to do with his phone & tablet and social media.

• Like 3

19 minutes ago, Ocean Boy said:

I am fanatical about time. My father is the same way. My mother and brother have little understanding of the concept. As a kid it drove me crazy.

I am the same way. Since my whole career was deadline oriented, I always was aware of what time something started and would back time when I needed to leave, drive time, setup and so forth. It drives me nuts when I say to my wonderful wife that we need to leave by a certain time only to have to wait on her to finish getting ready. I now how long it takes to shower, get ready and be dressed. it just takes back timing,  it's so simple.

• Like 7

26 minutes ago, Momof3gurlz said:

When I was 6 years old my parents bought me a “Handy Andy” tool kit to teach me how to be handy.It never worked.I still have the saw,hammer and pliers .They look brand new.

• Like 2
  • Haha 4