Royal Caribbean Cruisers -- How Are Things Where You Are? (was "Routine" ​ 😁 ​day in lockdown... how was yours?)

On 7/31/2021 at 7:35 AM, DirtyDawg said:

Glad to report that my beloved Toronto Blue Jays are now sailing out of their proper home port in Toronto after 670 days adrift in the MLB sea. 

For those of you who don't follow Major League Baseball, the Blue Jays had to play all of their home games over the past 1 and a half seasons in the U.S., mostly in Buffalo New York and Dunedin Florida due to Covid travel restrictions. Now they are finally back home!👍

And they beat KC 6-4 last night. 🥳

I could not attend because we are visiting the grandkids this weekend.

And yes it was an easy decision to skip this monumental home game. ( just in case Mrs. Dawg reads this 😉)

Even though I live in NY and root for the METS I also root for the Blue Jays.We have good friends living in Toronto and have been there many times.We have been to several Blue Jay games.

16 hours ago, BonTexasNY said:

I watched Cheers weekly. Years ago we took a tour bus  around Boston and when the guide pointed out the Cheers exterior it didn't mean much  even though it WAS the place where everybody knew your name. Not sure why. Maybe because it had a different name.   

It truly is very small inside.  Not like we saw on the television series.

14 hours ago, Coralc said:

Those poor people. That looks like it was an awful mess and very poor planning. Check the Celebrity board or one of the RC testing threads here for more information. No reason to belabor it here. :classic_huh:  

Horrible way to start your cruise that you have been waiting forever to happen.    I read that a couple people were taken by ambulance or treated on site by local rescue squad for heat exhaustion.    I hope everyone onboard is in better spirits today and able to enjoy their sailing. 

• Like 3

18 hours ago, Luckynana said:

Bonnie, I feel the same way about "Cheers" in Boston.  

In 2014 we went to Baltimore for a retirement party and made it into a mini vacation.We took a took in Baltimore of places where TV shows set in Baltimore were filmed.It was not as interesting as I thought it would be.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, jagsfan said:

For many years we had super popular Scottish games.
A few years ago the site was changed to the fairgrounds. The pipe and drums groups march in inside a building. Not the same at all, and two years ago  there were three or four bands instead of a dozen. 
It has dwindled too far to come up again, I think. Which is really sad for us who went every year. 

I belonged to the Hibernians when I lived on Staten Island,  We would have an Irish Fair every Summer, and the Staten Island Pipers always marched in through the fairground both days of the Fair.  It too, began to dwindle, fewer and fewer people were attending;  it made sense to finally stop having them.  Too bad.  It was always a fun day.  I worked at one of the tables for an hour or two,,,we all took turns, and we all loved to do the Irish dancing to the bands that played on the stages.☘️

My granddaughter's grandfather started the Pipe Band at Xaverian High School in Brooklyn years ago.  Sadly, he passed away last year......on March 17th, St. Patrick's Day.  How ironic.

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, Luckynana said:

It truly is very small inside.  Not like we saw on the television series.

Are you saying that what we see on TV isn't real?? 🤯

When I was a teenager, I worked in a store that was once rented out for a day to a TV show. In the show the bad guys robed the store and the good guy policeman chased them out the back and down the alley. In real life the alley was a good sized parking lot behind the stores on the main street. After the show aired, I couldn't count how many customers asked me if they could to use our back door as a short cut to the parking. The only thing was, there was no back door. It was a fiction created by good editing. We had to show our customers our real back room because many of them didn't believe us at first.  

One upside was that I got to meet William Shatner on the day of filming. 

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, DirtyDawg said:

When I was a teenager, I worked in a store that was once rented out for a day to a TV show. In the show the bad guys robed the store and the good guy policeman chased them out the back and down the alley. In real life the alley was a good sized parking lot behind the stores on the main street. After the show aired, I couldn't count how many customers asked me if they could to use our back door as a short cut to the parking. The only thing was, there was no back door. It was a fiction created by good editing. We had to show our customers our real back room because many of them didn't believe us at first.  

Shatner has had quite a bit of negative press over the years.I had the opportunity to meet him and Leonard Nimoy in 1988.They were both extremely friendly to me and the people I was with .

• Like 1

2 hours ago, jagsfan said:

For many years we had super popular Scottish games.
A few years ago the site was changed to the fairgrounds. The pipe and drums groups march in inside a building. Not the same at all, and two years ago  there were three or four bands instead of a dozen. 
It has dwindled too far to come up again, I think. Which is really sad for us who went every year. 

We had one in Orlando a few years back. No dogs allowed. Bella was crushed

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

19 minutes ago, DirtyDawg said:

We used to play Beer Hooker in college when that show was on.

Every time they said Hooker, you had to drink. If they said TJ Hooker you had to finish your beer and get a new one.

Also had a version where you were assigned a Love Boat character. Every time your character was in a scene you had to drink.

These were warm ups before we headed out to whatever kegger, bar, or house party we we were going to.

Good times

• Like 4

19 hours ago, Luckynana said:

Bonnie, I feel the same way about "Cheers" in Boston.  

17 hours ago, BonTexasNY said:

I watched Cheers weekly. Years ago we took a tour bus  around Boston and when the guide pointed out the Cheers exterior it didn't mean much  even though it WAS the place where everybody knew your name. Not sure why. Maybe because it had a different name.   

Another Cheers fan here 😉

_DSC4726.JPG

• Like 12

12 minutes ago, John&LaLa said:

We used to play Beer Hooker in college when that show was on.

Every time they said Hooker, you had to drink. If they said TJ Hooker you had to finish your beer and get a new one.

Also had a version where you were assigned a Love Boat character. Every time your character was in a scene you had to drink.

These were warm ups before we headed out to whatever kegger, bar, or house party we we were going to.

Good times

We used to do something similar in university when we watched Mork and Mindy. All 16 of us in our townhouse would crowd into the TV room and for each  Nanu Nanu we all had to chug. I swear our townhouse alone kept Labatt's and Little Caesars in business that year. 

Oh yes, the good old days. 

• Like 5

4 hours ago, Lionesss said:

I enjoy history. So when the discussion of presidential libraries came up it caught my attention. Now we will be in Disney World in a few weeks. And the tribute to presidents is slated to be re-opened this month.  So much history there. I hope  we will be able to see it. 

I like others who have shared on this thread where they were when JFK was murdered remember well.  I was in second grade when the announcement came and we all left class and went to the church and prayed. 

It was not till I was older that my mom shared some magazines and a letter she had saved. 

My parents were married on the same day as JFK and Jackie. September 12, 1953. 
My mom was intrigued by them and followed whatever information she could on them. 

I found 3 magazines and letter when I got my moms wedding gown out a few weeks ago. 

To explain. My moms sisters plane went down over the gulf when JFK was president. Back then you got a typed letter and official personal signature of the president. She kept JFK’s letter. 

I will still keep them. 

Take care. 

57C96FE2-8AE9-497C-BA4A-CAC3B0A05EC4.jpeg

08C5D76A-9384-4932-ABAE-409C866B627B.jpeg

B56EC4E3-2882-498E-850E-56E1A5754682.jpeg

6B0E8D83-9293-4964-BC8C-C60E8629A684.jpeg

Deepest sympathy even though many years later for your aunt's untimely passing.  JFK's letter seemed sincere and heartfelt.  Thank you for sharing this story with us.

As far as JFK goes, I remember John-John's salute as his father's casket passed him.  I never could figure out how two small children were so well behaved standing so still next to their mother for so long.  

I got the news of JFK's death on the PA system or whatever they called it while taking a history exam.  My cold-blooded teacher made us finish the test right after hearing the news.  . We complained but it did no good.  So many of us were crying.  

• Like 4

When our son was about 5, DH coached his soccer team.  During one game he had everyone stop.  We wondered what had happened until the kids saw the blimp approaching.  They would have stopped anyway and this way nobody ran into a staring player.

Edited by ATG
Oops
  • Like 2

4 hours ago, Ozark_Kid said:

I haven’t sighted a blimp in years. Cool.  Looks like a fun time.

Obviously I don’t have much experience editing.

Edited by ATG
Forgot to quote.
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Luckynana said:

I belonged to the Hibernians when I lived on Staten Island,  We would have an Irish Fair every Summer, and the Staten Island Pipers always marched in through the fairground both days of the Fair.  It too, began to dwindle, fewer and fewer people were attending;  it made sense to finally stop having them.  Too bad.  It was always a fun day.  I worked at one of the tables for an hour or two,,,we all took turns, and we all loved to do the Irish dancing to the bands that played on the stages.☘️

My granddaughter's grandfather started the Pipe Band at Xaverian High School in Brooklyn years ago.  Sadly, he passed away last year......on March 17th, St. Patrick's Day.  How ironic.

Some believe there is a reason for everything.  May he rest in peace.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Ocean Boy said:

I never got into watching Cheers.

Cheers for me went up and down.  Loved it early on with Coach and Diane.  I didn't mind switching from Coach to Woodie but didn't really like the switch from Diane to Rebecca Howe.  

• Like 2

5 hours ago, lenquixote66 said:

Shatner has had quite a bit of negative press over the years.I had the opportunity to meet him and Leonard Nimoy in 1988.They were both extremely friendly to me and the people I was with .

Lenny, since you are THE most well connected person I have ever know of, any ties direct or indirect to Shatner and Nimoy(nton)? Just curious, especially about Nimoy.

4 hours ago, BonTexasNY said:

Some believe there is a reason for everything.  May he rest in peace.

Thank you, Bonnie.  My granddaughter was devasted, poor kid.  Her grandmother told me she never had closure in her husband Tom's passing, due to Covid.  I feel so badly for her.

8 minutes ago, lenquixote66 said:

Seinfeld and MASH were my favorite shows

Love Mash!  Jim and our daughters can quote so many lines from Seinfeld!!!

1 hour ago, bobmacliberty said:

Cheers for me went up and down.  Loved it early on with Coach and Diane.  I didn't mind switching from Coach to Woodie but didn't really like the switch from Diane to Rebecca Howe.  

I never cared for Woodie Harelson...not in the show, and  not in the characters he's played in his movies.

• Like 1