What are the chances end of may cruises starting up?

seaman11

I agree with Vyhanek.

I really believe cruise lines are not going to open for a while and not until a vaccine is going to be readily available. Look at the cruise port towns-NY, NJ, NOLA, Fla.....-these states/towns are on lockdown with only essential business's open.

It's going to be a while folks I'm thinking.

I have a January cruise I'd like to do out of NY and I'm thinking time will tell even on that one.☹️.

I really hope they have a vaccine ready to go into manufacturing mode by end of this year, if not prior to that, however, considering the amount of time it takes to formulate the vaccine, then test the vaccine, then modify if necessary, then finally manufacture enough vaccine for the world, what'ya think a billion, maybe more... do the math.  Long, long time.... and here's me trying to be positive and booking for april 2021.... lol. Sure... 

1 minute ago, seaman11 said:

well im all booked for the 20th of may , wish me luck 

I do wish you luck. You'll be lucky if they cancel your cruise and you get all  your money returned.  We're all in the same boat, we all, or most of us, want to cruise again, as soon as possible. However, only if and when it's safe to do so.  

Good luck. 

• Like 1

And of course there's the question of social responsibility: even if anyone could take a cruise in coming months, should you be climbing in and out of the floating petri dish alongside thousands of other risk-takers?

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, Bryce Sadler said:

Till to end of may all public events etc will cancelled. Its horrible🥴.  Anyway I hope that after 24 of May all cruises will open

IF and it's a big IF this is controlled by May ( it won't) , some states are predicting the peak won't hit until mid May.

A very knowledgeable person who has worked for cruise lines and now works in shipping industry said it's normally 4-6 weeks to get a ship ready to sail again. Remember cruise lines have sent many workers home.

That in itself will be time consuming, assuming they are allowed to leave their homelands and fly to the States. Will they have to be tested -Absolutely. 

Those that are speculating late summer/ fall are much closer than May.

4 hours ago, latserrof said:

And of course there's the question of social responsibility: even if anyone could take a cruise in coming months, should you be climbing in and out of the floating petri dish alongside thousands of other risk-takers?

well if they are saying its safe enough to cruise, im not sure where the social responsibility comes in. obviously if its not good in time for may they will again cancel cruises and im ok with that. 

5 minutes ago, seaman11 said:

well if they are saying its safe enough to cruise, im not sure where the social responsibility comes in. obviously if its not good in time for may they will again cancel cruises and im ok with that. 

It seems to depend on who's saying it.  If it's the cruise lines... of course it will be safe. Health officials and CDC officials will likely disagree. 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, All-ready2cruise said:

It seems to depend on who's saying it.  If it's the cruise lines... of course it will be safe. Health officials and CDC officials will likely disagree. 

well we know one man we cant trust to be honest about it, so I see what you mean, but im sure if the cruise lines deem it safe it pretty much will be.   ppl should always take precautions and treat it seriously . 

• Like 1

I am looking at what is currently happening in places like Hong Kong, they are realizing that they tried to go back to normal life too soon and now the virus is re-emerging into round 2. I think we will see a few rounds of ups and downs until a vaccine and/ or  herd immunity kicks in. 

• Like 1

On 4/2/2020 at 9:07 PM, seaman11 said:

i am rebooking and thinking about end of may.  do you all think that is too soon or think that the cruise companies have made up their minds that this is the date may 10th that they will start back up no matter what? 

No chance at all especially for a Europe why would you even think about a date that early. I would also want to see if NCL  exists and they  can not start upas they have no crew. For instance a friend of ours was supposed to go to his ship and he cannot even get out of his country.  

Edited by bmwman
  • Like 1

14 hours ago, seaman11 said:

well im all booked for the 20th of may , wish me luck 

If it is Europe do not bother packing. There is no chance at all

if USA little chance as nothing will be open. Get your FCC now. 

• Who are "they" who will tell us when cruising is "safe?"  The same folks who said it was safe to board the Diamond Princess, Ruby Princess, Zaandam, etc?
  •  
  • Here's some of a reported interview with Donald Arnold, head of the Carnival Group (Princess, HAL, Cunard, etc.) after Carnival had suspended cruising:
  • "A cruise ship is not a more risky environment than being shoreside."
  • "A cruise ship in many ways is a less risky environment for a [virus to] spread than being shoreside."
  • "It's more like Central Park. There's lots of natural social distancing [because] the ship is so large."

Are we going to believe HIM?  Has he never been on a cruise?

Have we learned nothing from this crisis except hand-washing? It's a different world, my friends, and it will continue to be a different world. And cruising will likely not have a part in it.

Edited by latserrof

1 hour ago, latserrof said:
  • Here's some of a reported interview with Donald Arnold, head of the Carnival Group (Princess, HAL, Cunard, etc.) after Carnival had suspended cruising:
  • "A cruise ship is not a more risky environment than being shoreside."
  • "A cruise ship in many ways is a less risky environment for a [virus to] spread than being shoreside."
  • "It's more like Central Park. There's lots of natural social distancing [because] the ship is so large."

Are we going to believe HIM?  Has he never been on a cruise?

Have we learned nothing from this crisis except hand-washing? It's a different world, my friends, and it will continue to be a different world. And cruising will likely not have a part in it.

Personally, I wouldn't disagree with what he is reported to have said.

1 hour ago, latserrof said:

Theres plenty of cruise loving people, including all this board. It'll take a while to get to the point we were before the virus but cruising aint going away.

We are hoping to sail this summer, if ...

on a 30' boat out in Long Island, NY owned by one of the niece's family and do a little fishing just offshore.  It will be closest to cruise-to-nowhere in a while.  

Otherwise, I don't see NY's cruise terminals being re-opened for passenger ships to sail the oceans anytime soon, 2021 is "more" likely - if foreign ports feel confident to open and accept arrivals & allow ships to dock/anchor - I see a very different pre-boarding screening & pre-approval for digitally "cleared to travel/board & sail" protocols in addition to submitting one's passport data & recent travel history, etc. 

Edited by mking8288
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, mking8288 said:

We are hoping to sail this summer, if ...

on a 30' boat out in Long Island, NY owned by one of the niece's family and do a little fishing just offshore.  It will be closest to cruise-to-nowhere in a while. 

Did you get the Drinks Package?😁

• Like 1
  • Haha 2