Has anyone received a cash refund yet?

MudderBear

Details: End of May Land Tour/Cruise - Denali to Vancouver.  Cancelled on March 18th.  We had Standard INsurance.  Had been told we'd get the money in 7-10 business days.

Question: Has anyone who cancelled on or around March 18th received any money yet?

Please, I don't to hear anyone flame me for asking.  Looking for honest factual answers.

Thank you and God Bless....

4 minutes ago, MudderBear said:

Details: End of May Land Tour/Cruise - Denali to Vancouver.  Cancelled on March 18th.  We had Standard INsurance.  Had been told we'd get the money in 7-10 business days.

Question: Has anyone who cancelled on or around March 18th received any money yet?

Please, I don't to hear anyone flame me for asking.  Looking for honest factual answers.

Thank you and God Bless....

HAL cancelled my Hawaii cruise for March 18.  I immediately filled out the paperwork and chose a full refund.  The answer is: expect it in 60-90 days.  I cancelled an Alaska shore excursion for July ( I doubt that cruise will go) and was told refund to CC in 60 days. 

Be prepared to wait!

Karen

• Like 1

Thank you all.  Now, my husband and I were NEVER told to fill out paperwork (our cruise has not been cancelled).  I do have a cancellation confirmation from them.  Hoping that will suffice.

Thank you all for your responses.  Stay healthy.....

I think they are simply overwhelmed right now with the volume.  It may take a while to sort it all out.  We need to be patient. 

I had April 25 cruise from Japan cancelled And it was refunded over a 3 + week period.  My Alaska cruise was just cancelled and I’m thinking maybe 60+ days or longer.  

HAL cancelled on us March 13th, two days before boarding (good thing).  Received refund for all shore excursions; a notice that we would receive our refunds for drink cards soon; nothing on our deposit + final payment.  I'm hoping it will happen in April.

We were booked on a TA followed by a Baltics ( 4/19-5/24). We cancelled on 3/17 and received the TA portion the next day. It was booked as 2 segments. Nothing yet for the remainder.  Spoke with my Travel Agent a few days ago, she checked with HAL and was told 60-90 days for the rest. I have received the refund for the excursions.

1 hour ago, SJSULIBRARIAN said:

Same day cancel as OP. Nothing yet. I think all cruise lines have severe cash flow problem. May not see cash refunds for several months IMO.

this. 

only 2 reasons for refunds to take a long time. either it's a manual process that requires some approval (I doubt that), or it's a cash flow issue (not enough cash to keep the company alive and refund everyone all at once). 

UGH!   We cancelled on March 11 at 25% refund rate on an April 3 sailing.    Still no refund.   Today we received an email where we were offered a higher FCC with the statement that is what people are receiving now.   Very confusing email since it did not discuss our refund only the FCC---and honestly, it felt very manipulative.    I don't think this is a case of being overwhelmed........I think it is purposeful behavior by HAL to benefit financially at the expense of 'guests' rights under their policies............

HAL canceled our cruise on 3/13. We still haven't received anything. I did contest the charges with my CC and I have received some of the smaller charges back like internet, but not the thousands for the actual cost of the cruise for 5. We were told 7-14 days and when I called a couple days ago they are now saying 60 days.

Edited by TN Fem

Sixty days is a long time.

For those who are wondering - Passenger deposits are posted as a current liability on the balance sheet, along with items like accounts payable and short term borrowings.  In its 2019 Annual Report, Carnival Corp noted $4.7 billion in passenger deposits.  Passenger deposits are a significant source of cash flow for the corporation.

Keeping my fingers crossed for everyone.

I was originally told 7-10 days just got their 60 day quote.  I was scheduled to sail this weekend.  I think they should have gone through sail date by sail day in order, right?  Like process by sail dates, earliest to latest......or even put some laid off crew members to work working in this?  I am trying to be understanding, but everything else including air fare was not a 2-3 month wait.  This makes me nervous.  My travel insurance already said this was a "forseeable event" by January 14, therefore no refund for me there.  

I love cruising, I love the cruise industry, I am sorry there is no economic support for them.  I will cruise again, just can't be anytime soon as my husband has an autoimmune disorder so I sincerely appreciate their generous offer of a refund.  I am trying to be understanding.  I am sorry they have to deal with this and I hope everyone involved on ships that have gotten turned away by other countries are ok.  My hearts go out to them and the crew. 

50 minutes ago, DaveOKC said:

Cancelled directly with HAL on March 10 for 50% cash and 50% FCC (that was the program at that time) for 2 April cruises.  Had the credit in our card account with 3 days.

Exactly the same for me.  About the same cancellation date with the 50/50 offer also.  My cash was also applied to my card within a couple of days. Truthfully, not sure I will ever use the FCC but it is not all that much.  I am older  and not sure if I will cruise again.  In any case, I am happy to have some cash back sooner rather than later. 

1 hour ago, gailellen12 said:

Exactly the same for me.  About the same cancellation date with the 50/50 offer also.  My cash was also applied to my card within a couple of days. Truthfully, not sure I will ever use the FCC but it is not all that much.  I am older  and not sure if I will cruise again.  In any case, I am happy to have some cash back sooner rather than later. 

This is exactly what is so frustrating.......you and DaveOKC get prompt refunds (luck of the draw?) and we cancelled on March 11 for 25% refund and crickets ever since.  There is no rhyme or reason to how HAL is managing their offers.   I wouldn't believe anything they are saying at this point, or in the past for that matter.   

It will be 4 weeks tomorrow for us and not a word other than a confirmation from our TA on the cancellation. I called the TA and asked when we could expect the refund to hit our card and she called HAL and got the stock 60 day answer. SO I am expecting to see it within the next 30 days or so. She did verify with HAL they have the info. I was afraid it might have gotten lost in all the chaos.
Guess we just need to be patient.

3 hours ago, thyme2go said:

This is exactly what is so frustrating.......you and DaveOKC get prompt refunds (luck of the draw?) and we cancelled on March 11 for 25% refund and crickets ever since.  There is no rhyme or reason to how HAL is managing their offers.   I wouldn't believe anything they are saying at this point, or in the past for that matter.   

It seems to be so random.  While I did receive my cruise credit and 3 of my excursions back right

We canceled on 3/14 and have not received anything yet. We paid for the entire cruise/tour months in advance as we like having it paid for early.  We have done that on several vacations over the years but will change our strategy after this.  We learned a lesson putting $6,800 in limbo instead of $600.  Thankfully we are in a position where not getting the money back will not cause a financial catastrophe if HAL is unable to process all of the refunds.  Hopefully they are able to fulfill their deposit returns obligation though or their reputation will be damaged for a long time.